When you have too many 80s, how do you focus?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Repo.1925

Repo.1925

I have 5 80s and just finished filling them all out with exotics.
There are a couple issues I’m having now with this:
1) being mediocre in skill due to not focusing on 1 class. Even with all exotic gear, I get steamrolled constantly. I always forget how to play whatever class I’m on since I char switch so much. It’s getting annoying now getting destroyed in 3 secs because I forgot what skills I had and what my traits were.

2) The constant need to play only GW2, due to a char always needing improvement. Also the huge gold sink of having 5 chars always needing improvements.

Chars I have:
thief with 1 ascension ring. 475 Weaponsmith, 400 LW
guardian, 425 artif, 400 armorer
engineer, 425 huntsman, 400 jeweler
warrior, 400 chef
elem, 400 tailor

I enjoy engineer, Ele and guardian the most.
I suck with thief and warrior. I have no clue how people are so good with them.
I’m tempted to delete the thief and warrior and maybe 1 more, but losing the ascension ring and 475 smith on thief is hard to swallow.
I know I could simply NOT delete them, but I don’t have much restraint and if a char is there, I’ll play them.
I rather focus on 2 chars and learn those 2 at expert level.

Suggestions?

Posted by: Veldoran.5297

Veldoran.5297

My opinion is to stay with guardian, an one between ele/engi.

Both engi and ele requires a lot of muscle memory, apm and practices to get really good at. Although on paper they sound like they play the same (swapping between kits/attunement), if you swap engi and ele too often, you`ll probably end up screwing harder, swapping things that arent there (trying to play an ele like engi, or vice versa for example).

Guardian is just simply a good/stable, go-to class if you want some more relaxing game sessions. I`d probably recommend warrior a lil bit more, but you hate warrior arent you?

So with these you can either go have a more `concentrated/high apm sessions` with either ele or engi and play guardian when you need that `simpler/relaxing sessions`.

I myself settled with Engi(when i feel fresh), Guardian(for simpler times) and mesmer(in-between).

Posted by: Repo.1925

Repo.1925

Yeh I’m gonna stay with the Guardian and Engie.
Gonna delete the Elem and Warrior (after salvaging all their stuff).
Gonna salvage and strip the thief so I don’t play him (except the ascension ring). I feel I can’t delete the thief due to 475 weaponsmith and 100% map exploration. Just gonna make it a mule item holder and crafter for now.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Ive got 5 80s too and its really about what you have the most fun on . You cant really look at having 5 80s as a bad thing though cause if start to burn out on one class or style of play you can always switch to another .Besides some classes are just better at some things than others so variety never hurts

Posted by: Tobbygnome.6793

Tobbygnome.6793

Why don’t you just use each of your classes for different things where they are most effective, WvW, PvE, sPvP.

Posted by: Blackmoon.6837

Blackmoon.6837

I don’t focus with many alts, which is why I only stick with one character.

I can’t focus with more than one character. There’s too much progression and work involved, it’s a detriment to people like me who have a limited amount of time.

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

Goodness, don’t delete them. Park them in some good spot. A world event, a JP. Somewhere where you can collect a reward every day.

Sometime down the line, when you are happy with your skill on the classes you concentrate on now, you may want to take up a new class for a fun little challenge. Do you really want to start from lvl 1 again?

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

How long did you take to level up 5 80’s and did you do it at the same time?

The reason I ask is because I have 3 80’s that I spend months at a time with.
The result is that I love all 3 equally and have no trouble getting into them when I play them because I have spent a lot of time on them.
I play them all almost everyday

They are Mesmer, Engi and Ranger btw.

At the moment I am about halfway through leveling another Mesmer and an Ele, I also just started a Necro.

The Ele is the only one I really need time to get back into- but usually no longer that a couple of minutes- but then I have not spent nearly as much time on her.

Your problem might just be thief and ele, they are tricksy.
No time in the world will make me good at thief.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Tetonica.2819

Tetonica.2819

You realize that you’ll delete them, immediately regret it and in a moment of boredom or desire you’ll just make new characters with the empty slots sitting there staring you right in the face every time you log in, right? Right? Trust me, I’ve been there

Posted by: lunawisp.2378

lunawisp.2378

I’d sleep on that decision to delete lvl 80’s. Leave it for a few days, maybe even weeks before doing it. Chances are you’ll regret it later. I regret deleting a lvl 35 mesmer, was never able to get back into them again and never got another above about lvl 15 or so.
My favourite lvl 80 is a necromancer but I hop onto ranger, thief and engineer occasionally, depending on how I feel at the time – it’s nice to have that option.

Found pottering around on Desolation (EU).
lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

Posted by: Batdogi.7142

Batdogi.7142

Concentrate on the two you’ve chosen. Don’t delete the others. Just park them like Garambola said. You never know when your guildies may be doing something interesting and have a stronger need for one of them or if a guildie or other buddy needs help on a mission and one of them may be be a more helpful choice.

“Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.”
? Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Posted by: Serelisk.6573

Serelisk.6573

I have 5 80’s as well, but I also have 13 total characters, and 11 that I’ve spent atleast 30 hours on each if not more. The answer is that you really can’t focus on all of them without serious time investment. Depending on who you are, it can take a long time to master your profession, so if you wish to have many characters, there’s not much you can do about it. Especially if you have two of some of the most difficult classes to master. It’s a person to person thing, but it’s always gonna be harder to master all classes than to only stick with one.

Now, if you’re referring to gear, that’s a whole other issue. Exotics are fairly easy to obtain for multiple characters. Each one of my 80’s has at least 2 full sets of Exotics, trinkets, weapons, and all, as well as each of my lower level characters having pieces of exotic armor and weapons transmuted down for lower characters for the look. You can view my characters in my sig.

Ascended gear, however, is wholesomely alt unfriendly. If you’re planning on fully decking out each character in full Ascendeds, you’re talking about a heavy heavy time investment as well as artificially long time constriction due to the time gating and cost of leveling 1 or more crafting professions to 500, then getting the mats to get that weapon for each set for each build for each character… it’s just really not meant for you to have many characters obtaining Ascended Gear.

Kegmaster

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

I think its likely one or two toons will be somewhat neglected. Should you delete them? maybe ..if u need the slot… or if u really cant refrain.

If you have to focus, of course pick the one that’s most fun for you. don’t do things just because the general consensus is that its the most optimal (unless being optimal really is the most fun thing for you).

of the choices u picked, OP, the guardian seems to be the most often used in many regards.

Posted by: F I R S T.3976

F I R S T.3976

Maximze your advantage with 5 toons such as using all of them to farm t6 nodes. I normally get everything in less than 30 mins per toon, earning me 4-5g total (x5 with 5 toons, 2hrs.-3hrs playing). With a decent exotic gears as you mentioned it would turn out to be like a walk in the park for you. And if you ask me it is WAY better farming than running with train for champ farm. Good luck and i hope you find the best class that suits your playing style.

What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger

Posted by: Avigrus.2871

Avigrus.2871

I have 9 level 80s, but I picked 3 to work on a while back and it’s a little easier.

Power Necro, Warrior & Ranger

So hard to gear them all out in ascended.

80 Necro (5), 80 Guard (4), 80 Mesmer (3)
80 Ranger (3), 80 Warrior (3), 80 Thief (3)
80 Ele (2), 80 Engi (3), 80 Rev (2)

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I have a chart in a word doc to keep track of all my 80s and their gear. Mostly I just work one task at a time – amulet for all of them, ring for all of them. earring for all of them, etc.

I have a couple that are thoroughly ascended out, but most I just chip away at a bit here, a bit there.

I need to work on better underwater weapons for the whole crowd though .

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Daddar.5971

Daddar.5971

I have a lv. 80 toon for each profession. I play all of them a lot, and all are in full exotic a/ mostly ascended trinkets. I have no problems remembering how to play each well. The problem I do have is the ridiculously boring map completion on each and the fact that each levels separately in WvW.

‘Elite’ in all 9 professions. I take mediocrity seriously!

Posted by: Fiddlybitz.6982

Fiddlybitz.6982

…you`ll probably end up screwing harder…

Many would consider this a good thing.

Posted by: Robinschultz.9652

Robinschultz.9652

You realize that you’ll delete them, immediately regret it and in a moment of boredom or desire you’ll just make new characters with the empty slots sitting there staring you right in the face every time you log in, right? Right? Trust me, I’ve been there

+1 pretty much this.

Get Crit!

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

I have two level 80’s (Thief and Guardian) and seven others climbing up the ranks. I think someone else said it but it bears repeating – sometimes you burn out on a certain class and want something different to play for a while. My Guardian is tanky/supporty and while she’s great for most things, it’s fun to see how the Thief would handle the same event/battle too (as an example – Tequatl. The Thief plays a far different role than the Guardian in that). I tend to favor one over the other for spans of time though and that’s how I keep my focus. I’ve had those “wait, I’m not on the Guardian” moments though..

If you’re set on not playing them, at least do as others have said and park them at a JP for a Daily reward.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

It depends on how you play. If you only want to run dungeons or climb the ranks in WvW then selecting one as your main is best. If you are a casual PvEer who mostly does exploring and events then being able to switch not only keeps things fresh but combat isn’t so difficult that you need to know the ins and outs of one profession.

I agree that you shouldn’t delete. You are almost certainly going to regret it. Park them on a JP or an ori node at least and harvest every day if nothing else.

I have one of each profession and play each regularly. This no doubt means I’m a Jack of all trades, master of none but that doesn’t bother me as I don’t dungeon or WvW very much.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Sleel.8365

Sleel.8365

I have 8 80’s and play them all. Don’t have much problem switching mental gears between styles. It’s odd tho. Not sure why it doesn’t seem to trip me. Well, it does for a bit if I neglected a toon for to long, like my 1st one, the thief. Was rusty as hell today with him cause he’s been neglected for some months. But as long as I regularly roll thru them it seems to keep the reflexes and muscle memory up.
One 80 of each profession.

Posted by: Sleel.8365

Sleel.8365

I have a lv. 80 toon for each profession. I play all of them a lot, and all are in full exotic a/ mostly ascended trinkets. I have no problems remembering how to play each well. The problem I do have is the ridiculously boring map completion on each and the fact that each levels separately in WvW.

Yes. hate the separate lvls in WvW too. AND not getting the xp from previous play added to new ranking. After all, they have the achieve counts RIGHT THERE to base retroactive wxp off of. My thief would be sooooo much higher then my ranger if past play mattered. Mention them cause only put those two in WvW yet. But the thief has something like 10 times the playtime in WvW, yet half the rank.