When you say progression...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Thrombus.1796

Thrombus.1796

Fixing and improving existing content throughout the game, and better tying it into the overall sense of player progression within Guild Wars 2.

This doesn’t mean more Fractals/Ascended gear style “progression” does it? I shouldn’t have to worry about my gear being the latest and greatest to enjoy anything. If I wanted that playstyle, I would go back to Warcraft.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Dont think it does. I think that just means tweaking difficulty as you level up

Posted by: Chyanne Waters.8719

Chyanne Waters.8719

Guildwars had the Mursat that if they used Spectral Agony and you were not infused you lost 100 health a second. Now the Karka are replacing the Mursat in that department. But instead of fighting an Eleodon to infuse your armor its a two step process. Do fractal dungeon and use the mystic forge to add the infusion. Seems like a low amount but in Guildwars there were only 20 levels and that was maximum. Arenanet believed and still believes in balance in their games so in guildwars a level 20’s highest foe was 32 no 5k damage to or from foes.

Anyway about gear progression there were special maxed weapons in guildwars that everyone wanted but could not always get some were not even maxed but they were cool looking. If people think that a couple additions in stats actually help that much then thats fine. Actually it still is your skill that makes you better not maximum stats on a weapon. You can still fail in Guildwars 2 just like anyone else relying on a +2 or +3 difference in a couple of improvements does not always improve people. People in guildwars wanted the weapons caused they looked cool not because they made them better.

Also anyone who wants a legendary weapon has to actually work for it since a lot of the items are account bound to get one some are soul bound like karma and skill points. So its up to the person that wants it and once its made it can’t be sold to anyone so its a status symbol most of all nothing more nothing less.

Posted by: Mr Crazy Moose.5760

Mr Crazy Moose.5760

Guildwars had the Mursat that if they used Spectral Agony and you were not infused you lost 100 health a second. Now the Karka are replacing the Mursat in that department. But instead of fighting an Eleodon to infuse your armor its a two step process. Do fractal dungeon and use the mystic forge to add the infusion. Seems like a low amount but in Guildwars there were only 20 levels and that was maximum. Arenanet believed and still believes in balance in their games so in guildwars a level 20’s highest foe was 32 no 5k damage to or from foes.

The difference being that infusion against Spectral Agony was part of the story and attainable in three missions with a fourth way to get it in an explorable zone.

It also applied to whatever armor you had on at the time you got it, you didn’t need to go and get 15k armor to be able to get infusion.

The end result are similar but getting there in GW2 is much, much longer and are being dragged out by the “over time” nonsense being used to excuse them rushing this stuff out.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

The difference being that infusion against Spectral Agony was part of the story and attainable in three missions with a fourth way to get it in an explorable zone.

It also applied to whatever armor you had on at the time you got it, you didn’t need to go and get 15k armor to be able to get infusion.

The end result are similar but getting there in GW2 is much, much longer and are being dragged out by the “over time” nonsense being used to excuse them rushing this stuff out.

It applied to whatever armor you had on you . . . after a patch. Originally, it only worked on one piece at a time.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: FacesOfMu.3561

FacesOfMu.3561

To the OP: I read Whiteside’s “better tying it into the overall sense of player progression within Guild Wars 2” to mean the way in which players consume content. This is as much to do with what there is to consume as to what players want and expect to consume.

I personally don’t like seeing players as “Pac Men/Women” just mindlessly eating what the devs give us (these forums prove to an extent that we don’t), but I feel Whiteside was getting at the idea of better matching the game to how we hope or want to move forward through it, whether it’s PvE, PvP, WvW, Guilding, Crafting, etc etc.

People vary.