Whenever I hear there's no endgame...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cassius.4831

Cassius.4831

… I would like to know if all of these people can attach a screenshot like this.

This game doesn’t have a lack of content. This game has a lack of people who know how to enjoy it without grinding, ascended items or carrots in a stick. Because if you, people, are only able to get fun grinding, I suggest you to apply for a job in a cardboard box factory instead of wasting your time playing. It something like gathering materials and you earn some real money at the same time.

So thanks to every dev who has made possible all the fun content. Specially Josh Foreman and his team, who has been able to add new enojoyable content despite isn’t farmable and his “only” reward is the fun. You are a genius, tyvm.

Attachments:

“Guild wars is for everybody, freedom is ascended, zerg is strength”
~ G. Orrwell, great shaman of the new flame legion, 1984 AE.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

The question is…with a guide or without? :P

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

I think WvW is the true endgame.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Cassius.4831

The question is…with a guide or without? :P

hahaha, well, I try to avoid guides, but sometimes I use them. Anyway, the most important is that I’ve spent a lot of time playing this game, I’ve earned 9500 points and I still enjoy to play this game without new endgear (I’m trying SAB TM 2-2 tonight). So, when I read about people complaining about this, saying that they need this ascended tier to continue playing, I hope they have at least 12-13K AP.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I used to say all the time on the Rift forums, if I’d wanted gear grind, I’d have become a watchmaker.

There is grind in this game, but for the most part it’s optional grind. Ascended items push that boundary quite far, particularly the new ascended weapons. I personally have no problem with them, but it does up the power curve and for casual players, they’re not all that easy to get.

Still, I think the problem is everyone wants everything now. If you take these as long term goals, they’re really not that bad.

Cassius.4831

I used to say all the time on the Rift forums, if I’d wanted gear grind, I’d have become a watchmaker.

There is grind in this game, but for the most part it’s optional grind. Ascended items push that boundary quite far, particularly the new ascended weapons. I personally have no problem with them, but it does up the power curve and for casual players, they’re not all that easy to get.

Still, I think the problem is everyone wants everything now. If you take these as long term goals, they’re really not that bad.

I have eight characters and I’d like to alternate builds too. I will have arthritis in my fingers before I get enough ascended gear for all of them. And, as you can see, I’ve played enough to deserve max stats.

Visual grind is ok, because you don’t get any benefit and you don’t feel you are worse than other players (I liked legendaries as exotics, and I’d like to see more legendary gear). But if grind leads to better stats, you feel punished until you get it. And this is unpleasant because you feel you’ll never work enough to get your rest, as Sisyphus ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisyphus )

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

So nintendo minigame is endgame for you? Sorry but I did not buy an MMO for minigames.

Cassius.4831

Everything is endgame. But, as I’ve stated before, if you have more than 10k AP and rewards for doing the hard content of this game, I’ll close my mouth

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Everything is endgame. But, as I’ve stated before, if you have more than 10k AP and rewards for doing the hard content of this game, I’ll close my mouth

Because grinding AP is endgame? Having just 4k already puts you in the top 10% of all players, so I doubt much people agree.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Posted by: Laundry.5120

Laundry.5120

No offense, but everything you’ve circled in that screenshot is a “minigame” within the game of Guild Wars 2.

Achievements are a minigame in and of themselves as you do various activities to “achieve” them, and even if you disagree with that, a game that has achievements as real “content” is absurd.

Liadri mini you circled, from a minigame within Guild Wars 2 that in no way connects to the 1-80 experience or the world at large.

Same with SAB, asura magic training box, within the larger Guild Wars 2 world, is not content.

The only thing I’d say you have right is the Dungeon Master circle because that is actually the Guild Wars 2 content that can count as real sociable content.

Lavanderie – 80 Mesmer/Gaiscioch/Sanctum of Rall

Electrique – 80 Engineer/Gaiscioch/Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Sil.4560

Sil.4560

I don’t give a kitten about most of the “endgame” posted in the screenshot, myself. I don’t even have any interest in SAB this time around. Liadri wasn’t hard. Dungeon Master isn’t a feat. I’ve got over 10k AP and don’t feel particularly accomplished from that.

WvW is something I’d consider good endgame…if they’d make it more balanced and less of a zergfest. As it is, roaming is about the only way for me to enjoy it. I feel like the game is lacking in endgame “raid” like content and actual Guild vs. Guild deathmatch stuff.

Posted by: Kyrel.8942

Kyrel.8942

Time to define endgame again.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Time to define endgame again.

I wish you well on your quest :P

For me, ‘end-game’ is the game when your character stops leveling.

As well as this, ‘end-game’ is going to change from person to person. There isn’t one type of content that is ‘end-game’, rather it’s going to change depending on the content you do.

I mean, if I don’t do WvW, WvW isn’t going to be end-game for me.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Cassius.4831

I don’t give a kitten about most of the “endgame” posted in the screenshot, myself. I don’t even have any interest in SAB this time around. Liadri wasn’t hard. Dungeon Master isn’t a feat. I’ve got over 10k AP and don’t feel particularly accomplished from that.

WvW is something I’d consider good endgame…if they’d make it more balanced and less of a zergfest. As it is, roaming is about the only way for me to enjoy it. I feel like the game is lacking in endgame “raid” like content and actual Guild vs. Guild deathmatch stuff.

I agree about WvW, I simply put this screenshot because this is what I have now. Of course, my pic isn’t a good example to define endgame. I only wanted to show that there’s people (like me) that have played almost every content of this game and doesn’t need to fill the endgame with more tiers of gear. Furthermore, although I would like a lot more new content, nowadays I consider it’s fair enough for me what we have. So, when I hear people with only a couple of thousands of AP are complaining about this topic and asking for new gear, I think… have they explored this game enough far as they can??

I hope I’ve states my opinion in a better way now. I’m not native english, so it’s a bit difficult for me to express it

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

“Endgame” is a ridicolously overused word that has its own meaning to everyone.

To me, “endgame” is what I can play and have fun with after reaching max level – which in GWII is almost exactly the same as what I do when I level up.

But most people who play MMOs have a specific definition of endgame: gear treadmill, dungeons and raids. Nothing else.

GWII would keep me playing a lot more if there were more modes in sPvP.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: Adminir.8140

Adminir.8140

The only reason I am happy I clicked this thread is b/c I now know that laurels stack past 250! Thanks for the SS OP!

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

Living story IS endgame. You might say, “NUH-UH, raid’s are endgame! Dungeons are endgame”. Why yes, yes they are. But they are not the only endgame. Perhaps living story is not end game you’re interested in, but it’s endgame nonetheless. Endgame is not a set with only 1 item in it. And I’m sorry this isn’t <insert your favorite MMO here>. Get over yourselves and stop trying to use such self centered definitions in public discourse and acting like yours is the only opinion that matters. The game HAS endgame. Maybe you want more dungeons, maybe you want raids. Then ask for those things. Say “I would like for there to be more dungeons and raids”, not “WAAAAHH, this game has no endgame! In fact it’s not even a game! It’s only a mini game! Just how pluto is not a planet, it’s a dwarf planet so it doesn’t count!”.

Posted by: HiddenNick.7206

HiddenNick.7206

… I would like to know if all of these people can attach a screenshot like this.

This game doesn’t have a lack of content. This game has a lack of people who know how to enjoy it without grinding, ascended items or carrots in a stick. Because if you, people, are only able to get fun grinding, I suggest you to apply for a job in a cardboard box factory instead of wasting your time playing. It something like gathering materials and you earn some real money at the same time.

So thanks to every dev who has made possible all the fun content. Specially Josh Foreman and his team, who has been able to add new enojoyable content despite isn’t farmable and his “only” reward is the fun. You are a genius, tyvm.

So you farm AP… And in what way it’s not a grind?

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

8274 AP JUST from 90% solo farming and 10% playing the game. AP points mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

So you farm AP… And in what way it’s not a grind?

He plays all the varied endgame content. The fact that he has so much AP is more a reflection of the variety of content he has done. His point is that if you are complaining about nothing to do, but haven’t done as much as him, clearly you’re just not actually playing all the content available and so your complaint should be rephrased as “I don’t want to do the content that’s available” and not “there is no content”.

Posted by: arjeidi.2690

arjeidi.2690

So nintendo minigame is endgame for you? Sorry but I did not buy an MMO for minigames.

Its not nintendo. Its minecraft.

HiddenNick.7206

He plays all the varied endgame content.

Like kill 1000000 raptors? Or you maybe mean things like check out 30 balloons all over the world? Or Kill a crowd of monsters in the crown pavilion?

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

end game is moar grind.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I’m having 100 times more fun in wvwvw than in any part of the pve. Even though it’s zerg fest most of the time. But this weeks matchup for my server so far has been great.
For me wvw is the endgame, i’m not even going to finish the sp part after doing that just once.

Cassius.4831

I’m having 100 times more fun in wvwvw than in any part of the pve. Even though it’s zerg fest most of the time. But this weeks matchup for my server so far has been great.
For me wvw is the endgame, i’m not even going to finish the sp part after doing that just once.

I usually play WvW when there’s no new content. IMHO It’s one of the best designed zones of the permanent content, because I enjoy playing there although “real” rewards are low (compared with doing any other thing as temples or farming in PvE). But I think it’s broken now, because of ascended items. I usually play solo (taking flags, dolyaks or even camps) and sometimes I must fight 1v1. Now, with they new tier of weapons, I’m punished for not grinding them.

Posted by: Sungam.9204

Sungam.9204

Endgame is whatever brings a player to log into an MMORPG once they have obtained max character level.

For some that could be world completion, world bosses, dungeon completion, cosmetic armor and weapon, fractal advancement, WvW, sPvP, Living World Content, gear progression, champion farming, guild interaction, dailies, raids, etc.

Having an clearly accessible and varied library of activities that convince max level players to log in daily is what defines a strong or weak endgame for an MMORPG.

The more often a player logs in the more likely they are to extend their subscription or interact with your item shop.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

You know the game has no endgame when devs and fanboys tell others that endgame is everything in the game. Is standing in LA bored because there’s nothing to do endgame? Is walking from crating stations to TP endgame? Is WP across the map and talk to 73 npcs per LS quest endgame? Is crafting whatever you want some kind of rewarding endgame? Is exploring an empty world doing the most repetitive heart quests seen in a video game endgame? Or is the endgame so weak that some consider doing achievements that are added by metric tones every patch an endgame? GW2 has as much end game content as casual solo rpg’s such as Mass Effect 3. Everything is end game my %$#…

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Tiger.7506

Tiger.7506

Sorry but I did not buy an MMO for minigames.

Cassius.4831

Well, GW2 was announced with minigames (bar brawl? polymock?) and no grind

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Sorry but I did not buy GW2 to play generic MMO #242

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

My gosh, all GW2 has become is pretty much mindless mini-games and feel-good mini events. If you consider those “end-game”, then you have either never played an mmorpg in your life before GW2, or you don’t know the definition of end-game.

And you know why generic mmos do so well? Because they have studied other games and pulled every single good aspect of that game into their game. Now you see what happens when mmos try to deviate from content that was studied and found to bring more players.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Korsbaek.9803

Korsbaek.9803

i cant link the sab but that is proberly because i dont like it at all.
the mini where fun to get tho and love that type of content.
i still need a few dungoens for dungoen master but i really cant be asked dealing with it.
and achiements is only almost 8k
but ill still say there is no end game but there is gameplay that keeps me playing tho;)

Commander Korsbaek lvl 80 Guardian
Ayano Yagami lvl 80 ele

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

If I wanted a platformer I would have purchased a platformer, not an MMO. I’m fine with SAB in the game but in no way do I consider it end game. It’s a distraction. If you think finishing every dungeon explorable once and a temporary solo challenge(what does the MM in MMO stand for to you? – this applies to SAB as well)… well I think you have a dramatically different idea of what end game in an MMO is supposed to be.

Guild Wars 2 is very good at spewing out treadmill like content (achievements, daily lock out progression) but that’s not what people are looking for in end game.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I’d agree with you if these weapons were just visual, not statistical, upgrades. But they’re not. Their vary existence flies contrary to what many of us were sold way back when.

Eurogamer: How are you handling endgame loot – will we be farming bosses?

Colin Johanson: Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base. The rare stuff becomes the really awesome looking armours. It’s all about collecting the unique looking stuff

“Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.” How many players, casual or not, are going to have ascended weapons by the time they hit level 80? I’ll go out on a limb and guess it’s significantly less than “everyone”.

Posted by: Cina Reas.6938

Cina Reas.6938

Very insulting post

Grind Wars 2; the game that ate my brain.

Posted by: Diviner.7405

Diviner.7405

Can you be any more insulting in the original post?

No, seriously, the arrogance utterly reeks here.

Posted by: Cloud.7613

Cloud.7613

This is more of a brag thread then anything.

Posted by: Ping.5739

Ping.5739

I think this is more of a brag than end game.

Do you seriously know what is endgame? Post a screenshot of all professions with as many ascended gears as possible, then we will discuss about this “no endgame” stuff.

This useless bar doesn’t make you awesome. However, stuff above does.

Posted by: Ping.5739

Ping.5739

Regarding Dungeon Master title, I have many friends who totally don’t know what bosses do but still have it. On the other side, I also have friends who are elite and dont have it cause they never find doing story mode is interesting. Again, just more of a bragging right, nothing related with endgame.

This useless bar doesn’t make you awesome. However, stuff above does.

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Dungeon Master and AP don’t really mean anything.

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

If they would just put out more well designed dungeons like Fractal stuff that had really good rewards the harder it was I would be insanely happy.

By good rewards, I mean the same good rewards you get for riding the zerg train, would love to have all the “various” content in the game let you grind money so you have options.

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

No endgame!? What about all the ascended gear coming!?

Seriously though…the initial post is not insulting at all. What he is try to say is that there is plenty of ways to entertain yourself in this game once you reach level 80. And fortunately for for the OP, he has found several things that he does enjoy.

Some people though, only enjoying one type of endgame such as gear grinding, and that is their problem.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

so now….temporary events are end game…

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

You know the game has no endgame when devs and fanboys tell others that endgame is everything in the game. Is standing in LA bored because there’s nothing to do endgame? Is walking from crating stations to TP endgame? Is WP across the map and talk to 73 npcs per LS quest endgame? Is crafting whatever you want some kind of rewarding endgame? Is exploring an empty world doing the most repetitive heart quests seen in a video game endgame? Or is the endgame so weak that some consider doing achievements that are added by metric tones every patch an endgame? GW2 has as much end game content as casual solo rpg’s such as Mass Effect 3. Everything is end game my %$#…

You know, this is a pretty shocking post from a guy who has gone on and on about how Anet lied to us and changed everything.

Anet said from the beginning the stuff you do at level cap is the same stuff you’ve been doing all along. If they’d broken that “promise” you’d have been the first guy to call them on it. Here they are doing exactly what they said they were going to do, and you’re complaining that they kept their word.

Some would call that hypocritical.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Here they are doing exactly what they said they were going to do, and you’re complaining that they kept their word.

Some would call that hypocritical.

He is not complaining that they kept their word, but rather that the promise they made was not one that should have been. That is not hypocrisy.

I agree with you otherwise though.

The game is not supposed to have a traditional MMO endgame. Technically they are adding something of the sort (grinding for an increased tier of gear is part of the endgame in other MMOs), but for the most part endgame here is supposed to be playing the way you want, doing what you want.

HiddenNick.7206

No grind? lol! Gw1 had a lot of grinding. What did you expect? And why?

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

I wouldn’t count content you do once and then drop forever as “endgame”, like in your case Liadri or zone clear on SAB Tribulation mode. I guess you can count doing all the possible achievements, if you want. I agree on WvW, although I don’t think OP mentioned it.

You don’t have to go far to look for “endgame” in a GW franchise. GW1 had Alliance battles, GvG, Underworld, Fissure … something for every type. Something you can do with friends and eventually get better & get better rewards. GW2 definition of endgame (PvE side) is mostly champion farming and world boss event race. Fractals, I guess?

And many people are satisfied – personally I’d like something a bit more ambitious, like those God realms.

Cassius.4831

No grind? lol! Gw1 had a lot of grinding. What did you expect? And why?

Where was that grind, so I can log in – I still have GW1 installed – and see it? Because I was able to get BiS gear in less than a week. Of course, you could farm for an Obsidian armor (I did) or GWAMM title (I did it too). But if you were a casual gamer or simply you didn’t want to farm that day, you could play with total freedom knowing that you would never been left behind.

Because, in GW1, you could have GWAMM, torment weapons, obsidian armor… but the only difference between you and a player with regular gear was you skill.

And, some of us, still enjoyed that game and purchased this because they promised us it would be the same

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

“Endgame” is a perspective, nothing more. We each perceive “endgame” to be a different “thing” because we’re all different, and have different things we desire to do. For some people its raiding, for others is dungeoning, for yet others it’s the gear progression to ‘get better.’ For some people, it’s simply going out and farming for 6 hours.

Other MMO’s have trained us to accept a specific ‘perception’ as the ‘established and acceptable’ endgame, which Anet clearly chose not to follow. Which is fine, one game cannot be all things to all people.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

it’s only a grind if you make it a grind. I play everyday and i’m still enjoying every min of it. I even have fun running a 30 min champ farm, the funny stuff the farmers talk about in /say chat is so entertaining lol

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB