Where Are the Prickly Pears?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

These seem to have an increadibly low drop rate considering how many are required in the various food recipes. This means they are prohibitively expensive to make.

I wonder if someone at teh Arenanets has made a typo.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

They are all over the place in Silverwastes and Dry Top, you harvest them from Cactus

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Nah. It’s just that the cacti have little else valuable to get from the harvesting. If they dropped foxfire people would stop to harvest them and thus the supply for prickly pears would increase a lot.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

If you have permanents jst running by is a waste of your actual buy… anything you harvest is a return on your harvesting tool…

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

If you have permanents jst running by is a waste of your actual buy… anything you harvest is a return on your harvesting tool…

Well the seconds you will spend on harvesting the mostly worthless node is seconds away from doing something more productive. Apparently many people think harvesting the cacti just isn’t worth the time.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

One of the problems is, if you stop to harvest that cactus in most areas of SW, you will end up dead by the swarm of Mordrem that spawn on top of you during the events.

I try to hit up every node I can when running by, but sometimes you just got to let things go. Stopping to hit that cactus can cost you your life a lot of times.

Svarty.8019

Well, I suppose it’s good to know that this is a design mistake. It’s such a pity that these recipes and foods were a complete waste of development time and effort. These would have been really good items that I would have very much liked to have made.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Well, I suppose it’s good to know that this is a design mistake. It’s such a pity that these recipes and foods were a complete waste of development time and effort. These would have been really good items that I would have very much liked to have made.

What? Event farmers don’t go out of their way to collect them, so there’s not as much of an excess being sold on the TP as with other items (Elder Wood for example)…therefore their entire existence is a waste of development time and it’s impossible for you to ever make anything with them? That’s a pretty huge jump in logic.

They only cost 3s each. That’s pretty cheap compared to some crafting materials. And you could always go and farm your own.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Svarty.8019

What? Event farmers don’t go out of their way to collect them, so there’s not as much of an excess being sold on the TP as with other items (Elder Wood for example)…therefore their entire existence is a waste of development time and it’s impossible for you to ever make anything with them? That’s a pretty huge jump in logic.

They only cost 3s each. That’s pretty cheap compared to some crafting materials. And you could always go and farm your own.

3s seems somewhat expensive, to me, considering how many are required each food.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Only? A plate of Prickly Pear Stuffed Nopale requires 20, so it only costs 60 silver + the cost of other materials. That’s rather expensive for a 30 minute food, in my opinion. Prohibitively so, in fact.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

They’re a waste of dev time if nobody ever bothers with them. The cost of materials doesn’t matter, it’s how often that content is used.

Mind you, I don’t see it as a total waste of dev time in this case. Just poorly thought out content that could use a slight tweak to make it more enjoyable.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: joe.7684

joe.7684

Well. What it sounds like to me, at any rate, is that there’s a potential gold mine that a lot of people are walking by. 3s per prickly pear? That adds up to 7.5g per stack. I, for one, am going to start regularly gathering prickly pear – and nopale – whenever I’m in SW from now on.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I have too many Prickly Pears for food which I don’t care about making, and wouldn’t use anyway.

Where are they? Gather on every cactus you see during “Time Out” in Silverwastes, or when you’re running around Dry Top. You’ll get some – they’re not as rare as Foxfire.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: BrettM.9062

BrettM.9062

Well. What it sounds like to me, at any rate, is that there’s a potential gold mine that a lot of people are walking by. 3s per prickly pear? That adds up to 7.5g per stack. I, for one, am going to start regularly gathering prickly pear – and nopale – whenever I’m in SW from now on.

I’ve been playing a fair bit of time every day in Dry Top over the last six months, and I harvest every cactus I come across. So far I have fewer than two stacks of prickly pears. What kind of gold mine returns less than 15g in six months? I think there are better ways to get rich. The nopales I now just merch, since they aren’t worth selling on the TP and I’ve got 1,500 of them sitting in crafting storage.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Back in 1310AE I got one from a cactus.

Never once since then.

They should make them available in bulk packages of 25 from the bandit crest and/or geode vendors.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Back in 1310AE I got one from a cactus.

Never once since then.

They should make them available in bulk packages of 25 from the bandit crest and/or geode vendors.

I could totally see this being plausibly useful.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Looking at my bank the drop rate seems to be around 20%. That seems like a pretty decent drop rate for a MMO.

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Prickly Pears are an uncommon harvest drop from Cactus. They don’t drop as often, but they still do. Admittedly though, it is annoying how the recipes from Dry Top merchants more often than not require Prickly Pears over Nopales.

Posted by: NiBlack.3149

NiBlack.3149

Well. The problem is that these recipes are expensive (require lot of ingredients)…

Svarty.8019

Well. The problem is that these recipes are expensive (require lot of ingredients)…

Quite. Which is why there are none of the foods on the trading post at all.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

The reason there are none on the Trading Post is because for some inexplicable reason they’re account bound.

Svarty.8019

The reason there are none on the Trading Post is because for some inexplicable reason they’re account bound.

I;ve noticed a lot of this account bound stuff happening of late, I can’t understand it at all. The market must be in huge trouble. Maybe this is the Arenanet version of protectionism?