Where Chickens Drop Better Loot Than Dragons

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nappychappy.7046

Nappychappy.7046

Pretty soon they will nerf the game to the point you will have to buy [loot token]x4 to put in Mystic toilet = random items trash to legendary.. Shouldn’t be to bad, maybe 500 gems per-token? Sounds reasonable right?

You are using 21 of 100 infractions ermm, PMs.

Posted by: Selebrity.7469

Selebrity.7469

I got an exotic from shelter event, spider hatchling. Never from a dragon, and ive done dragons about a million times more than penshelt….

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

The problem is, basically, that the drop tables of the chests are technically better than the mobs, but the sheer volume of mobs you can annihilate in the time it takes to do a chest-containing event means tha, mathematically, farming mobs is a better payoff.

The chests shouldn’t be a better option versus time than smacking around chickens, but they should at the very least an equal option in terms of time versus reward.

Basically, give the chests more rolls, they don’t necessarily need better loot, just more of it to make them sit on par with general farming, and allow people to choose which method they like.

Barring that: Karma

The orrian jewelry boxes are a step in the right direction. Add more karma-boxes like those, perhaps some cheap mob-equivalent ones which would make karma a valuable resource for getting the same sorts of drops you’d see off of mobs. Heck, vary up the contents per merchant so that the vast majority of non-heart karma merchants sell something other than a handful of cooking ingredients.

Karma is a powerful system when leveling, as it gives you a pool of rewards and lets you somewhat determine the rewards you like. Once you’re leveled and have decent gear, the utility of karma drops in to the toilet for the most part. Karma should have long lasting utility beyond crafting recipies and parts for legendaries people may or may not want. Karma should be a blanket reward roughly equivalent to just plain killing stuff, but allow the user to be a bit more selective, the same was as it works when you’re leveling. If we could get just plain random drop boxes with karma, with loot depending on who/where we got them from, karma would already be much improved!

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Spend 10 – 15 min killing a dragon, get mostly 3 blues, a green, and probably a rare gem or crest.

Spend same time killing chickens, get more blues, greens, bags, and a better chance at a rare.

And my friend wondered why i gave up on dragon events…

Posted by: Voxdeus.1034

Voxdeus.1034

I have actually NEVER gotten an Exotic from anything OTHER than a Risen Chicken at Malchor’s Leap, last September, 2012 (been playing since 3-day headstart). All my other exotics have come through map completion (which I can no longer achieve, of course, since I am done mapping.) It’s kind of ironic than not even the biggest bosses yield better treasure than a putrid chicken (this is not a complaint… I find it rather funny instead.)

Actually it makes sense. The chicken doesn’t really drop loot more often. You might kill a big boss 20-50 times. During that time you might have killed hundreds of other things. So it seems those things give you a better drop rate. But you’re always killing more of them.

If you killed as many bosses as normal mobs, would you have more or less exotics? I’m pretty sure no one can answer that question.

The point the time & effort it takes to take down an event Champ “especially if your trying to solo buck” against the rewards you drop from that champ is probably nothing better than what a few chicken might drop you… except the fact that in the same timeframe you could of dropped 20, 30, 50+ chickens… the reward system begins to feel somewhat disfuntional.

The Chicken farm in Orr (as one example) easily yileds me 1-2 Rares in a 15min farming session (when I remember to put some MF stuff on or eat a chew bar), plus countless mats, trash gear/items and of course garbage bones…the Gold returns are very noticeable to me. Then again most Champs/Vets are dropping next to nothing nowadays and many times nothing at all, so farming Champs, especially with DR seems more pointless than ever to me… aside from the occasional need for your Daily completion.

Pretty much this. I don’t see any reason why an event champ shouldn’t drop a rare or several greens every time, plus coin. On a typical “swarm” event I’ll get 5-10 blues and 2-3 greens, maybe a rare. A bunch of coin, maybe some bags, some coin, a bunch of XP, some whites for salvage, etc. On a champ I’ll get some coin and a guaranteed blue. The swarm event is just as fast, and less dangerous.

Posted by: lunarminx.3624

lunarminx.3624

This is the reason I hardly do not even do dragons anymore. Never Jormag, he’s 45 minutes for 3-4 blues….no way. A yellow shaman talisman that has to be vendor, is not worth my time. I think I have gotten 2-3 rares from dragon fights since the start of the game. Nope. My daily has been bugging out for days, yes I been submitting bug reports, less and less guildies have been logging, beta other games…..fun fun fun

Posted by: zhihuayang.1720

zhihuayang.1720

You people are clueless. Now they are gonna nerf the chickens!

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I’ve never seen a rare from a dragon, Chickens and the rest occasionally dump a rare mostly green trash or worse, personally don’t understand how a AAA MMO can do it so wrong but i guess nerfing everything to them makes sense, even if i cannot see logical reasons why..

Posted by: Gallrvaghn.4921

Gallrvaghn.4921

If and if they change the mechanics of boss dragons encounters, I wish they, too, change the current system of the World Events respawns together with a proper scaling of these boss fights. When a massive amount of players just spam auto attacks on a dragon’s feet ignoring the actual mechanics of the fight and like giving the dragon a nice pedicure until the loooong HP bar drops is not fun. And a fixed timer for the recurrence of World Events isn’t very DYNAMIC at all.. which is the primary reason for the first issue stated – people WP to the dragon’s spawn area since they know exactly when and where the dragon will spawn. I think only then should they make reasonable adjustments to the rewards systems. Fixed the gerd dem events first.

“The boss you just killed respawns ten minutes
later. It doesn’t care that I’m there.”

lunarminx.3624

I’ve never seen a rare from a dragon, Chickens and the rest occasionally dump a rare mostly green trash or worse, personally don’t understand how a AAA MMO can do it so wrong but i guess nerfing everything to them makes sense, even if i cannot see logical reasons why..

Don’t worry, Elder Scrolls is coming ;P

Posted by: ADFX.6179

ADFX.6179

If they NERF loot drops from mobs NO ONE will bother going to Lost Shore, and perhaps Orr itself, at all because it’s currently a buggy mess with little incentive. Champions drop NO loot and the temples won’t start. It’s really a situation where they would have to nerf dungeons and fractals first to move people back into the open world events or give up on them. Then, they will have taken so much away that you wonder if anyone will want to do ANYTHING.

Posted by: Zonzai.2341

Zonzai.2341

Are you secretly a front for Bojangles? For that greasy KFC? And I must write that, this is not a situation that can be solved with a NERF.

Oh great, job. Now they’re going to nerf chickens! The one good loot drop in this game and you have to get it nerfed? Thanks. Don’t worry you’ll be headed back to those worthless chests soon since ANet couldn’t possibly bare the thought of someone making more than 1 gold per hour.

I don’t see any reason why an event champ shouldn’t drop a rare or several greens every time, plus coin. On a typical “swarm” event I’ll get 5-10 blues and 2-3 greens, maybe a rare. A bunch of coin, maybe some bags, some coin, a bunch of XP, some whites for salvage, etc. On a champ I’ll get some coin and a guaranteed blue. The swarm event is just as fast, and less dangerous.

Don’t worry, now that it’s been pointed out to them, ANet will be nerfing all swarm event drop rates. And the reason is they don’t want you making that kind of money should be pretty obvious; two words – gem store.

If they NERF loot drops from mobs NO ONE will bother going to Lost Shore, and perhaps Orr itself, at all because it’s currently a buggy mess with little incentive. Champions drop NO loot and the temples won’t start. It’s really a situation where they would have to nerf dungeons and fractals first to move people back into the open world events or give up on them. Then, they will have taken so much away that you wonder if anyone will want to do ANYTHING.

And what makes you think that will stop them? These are the guys that nerf the engineer almost every patch. These are the guys that think spending 30 silver on a teleport is fair. These are the guys that think you should fight a twelve million HP boss for 15 minutes for 2 level 79 blues and a handful of whites.

(edited by Zonzai.2341)

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

I’m torn on this. On the one hand, the distribution of loot in GW2 is unbelievably lobsided – OP’s post is spot on: more effort doesn’t get you more loot in GW2.

So we have this odd mix of fun (which is why we play) and preparing for another disappointing drop. More effort for not more reward just doesn’t sit well with our primate brains, and that’s not going to change anytime soon.

I’m convinced this simple fact is hurting GW2, and that something has to be done about this, soon.

On the other hand: do I really want big zergs farming the big DE bosses for epic loots ? Can’t we just get a laurel for a really big one ? Or if you have the balls: just make following a chained DE to the big boss fights a daily requirement. And if that’s a little bit too harsh, introduce a weekly achievement for stuff like this – kinda like the old days: you down one Onyxia a week.

Yep I think you could be onto something here… ANET needs to re-evaluate chain events, how/when they spawn, the reward system around such an event and maybe ringfence them on an egg timer once a player completes… but completion should include having to complete chain steps not just be able to zone in 5mins after the dragon is up and tag it for loot at the end. Or maybe loot tables reflect how many chain waypoints you completed prior to killing the dragon.. more ticks the higher the loot table.. but, nothing should be guaranteed except that the loot tables for End chests in these types of events really need to reflect the time/effort and difficulty (which should also be upscaled based on the numbers involved, ie keep spawing trash mobs as new players enter instance etc etc)

In making these types of events more challenging, rewarding and … fun… I would gladly let the chickens fatten up another few days.

(edited by Bloodstealer.5978)

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

Chickens I tell you… And not dragons.

Thank you.

Colin and his band of Merry Denial Knights are all quite happy spouting garbage from their Ivory Tower. They probably don’t even know what a chicken is. We commoners should just shut up and eat our potatoes.

Bloodstealer.5978

Are you secretly a front for Bojangles? For that greasy KFC? And I must write that, this is not a situation that can be solved with a NERF.

Oh great, job. Now they’re going to nerf chickens! The one good loot drop in this game and you have to get it nerfed? Thanks. Don’t worry you’ll be headed back to those worthless chests soon since ANet couldn’t possibly bare the thought of someone making more than 1 gold per hour.

I don’t see any reason why an event champ shouldn’t drop a rare or several greens every time, plus coin. On a typical “swarm” event I’ll get 5-10 blues and 2-3 greens, maybe a rare. A bunch of coin, maybe some bags, some coin, a bunch of XP, some whites for salvage, etc. On a champ I’ll get some coin and a guaranteed blue. The swarm event is just as fast, and less dangerous.

Don’t worry, now that it’s been pointed out to them, ANet will be nerfing all swarm event drop rates. And the reason is they don’t want you making that kind of money should be pretty obvious; two words – gem store.

And what makes you think that will stop them? These are the guys that nerf the engineer almost every patch. These are the guys that think spending 30 silver on a teleport is fair. These are the guys that think you should fight a twelve million HP boss for 15 minutes for 2 level 79 blues and a handful of whites.

Are you that nieve to think ANET dont already know where specific loot is being hoarded from… maybe you haven’t seen their own employees playing the game in the same re-spawn areas.
There are other reasons why ANET wants to create hive points in game…. at least if they do engage the nerfbat on such things it might make the game feel more balanced in its loot spread… heck it might even dissuade many of the endless lines of BOTS from camping Map areas.
I would much prefer a fun engaging MMO with challenges, quests, puzzles and exploration that rewards based on effort not based on zoning in at the end of a mass event to tag the dragon, then stand their mindlessly spamming 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 and waiting till its dead for a friendly res so you can loot the chest.

Posted by: Afyael.1740

Afyael.1740

Are you that nieve to think ANET dont already know where specific loot is being hoarded from… maybe you haven’t seen their own employees playing the game in the same re-spawn areas.
There are other reasons why ANET wants to create hive points in game…. at least if they do engage the nerfbat on such things it might make the game feel more balanced in its loot spread… heck it might even dissuade many of the endless lines of BOTS from camping Map areas.
I would much prefer a fun engaging MMO with challenges, quests, puzzles and exploration that rewards based on effort not based on zoning in at the end of a mass event to tag the dragon, then stand their mindlessly spamming 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 and waiting till its dead for a friendly res so you can loot the chest.

I don’t know about you but I think its more fun doing events and dungeons for cool drops and skins instead of getting a ton of vendor stuff/crafting materials that you repeatedly grind (YES!!!!! GRIND!) to throw in the mystic toilet for gear.

I hate crafting and gathering materials, I think it should be a viable way to get gear but you should also get rewarded decently for killing tough enemies. As it is you can get to lvl 80 and get the best items without ever leaving LA or the TP. The most efficient way to get the best items is from sitting in LA and farming the TP all day.

(edited by Afyael.1740)

Posted by: Meowwilson.5106

Meowwilson.5106

As long as you get the chest from the dragons you getting that “good” loot.. so heres what you do mk.. you do 15k damage maybe.. more or less to get bronze on the event, then you go kill the 1000 mobs that spawn with the event. tons and tons of loot. especially if you have a group of 5 doing this with you. little harder than chickens perhaps.. but you do get a tiny higher chance of rare exotic if you do that and get the dragon chest.

(edited by Meowwilson.5106)

Posted by: Robique.8279

Robique.8279

The veteran chicken is half chicken, half dragon AND half undead.

It’s like a Manbearpig!! O_O

lunarminx.3624

As long as you get the chest from the dragons you getting that “good” loot.. so heres what you do mk.. you do 15k damage maybe.. more or less to get bronze on the event, then you go kill the 1000 mobs that spawn with the event. tons and tons of loot. especially if you have a group of 5 doing this with you. little harder than chickens perhaps.. but you do get a tiny higher chance of rare exotic if you do that and get the dragon chest.

Never much luck with the mobs around Jormag either. If I want loot, I just farm a normal area. The only reason I do a dungeon is for guildies, I got my TA staff, the rest of them I find the gear hidious. Normal farming in Orr is you best bet for loot period. Basically this game is built for gold sellers, you get the most from the easiest of the mobs.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Sometimes i think anet is messing with me in AC with chests. Open one up, get a rare, only to see it was ghost tonic!

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Frankly I love the chickens in this game, the Arah expl which is centred on a chicken is really fun storytelling. What is discouraging about the dragons now is that since last update the chest has not been appearing about 30% of the times I have killed Taquatle.

Posted by: Taikanaru.5746

Taikanaru.5746

You guys are forgetting something… Dragons are just big chickens. Didn’t anyone watch the commando video?
Also, those angry little chickens are OP… They DO need a nerf.

ADFX.6179

You guys are forgetting something… Dragons are just big chickens. Didn’t anyone watch the commando video?
Also, those angry little chickens are OP… They DO need a nerf.

Man if they nerf anything in Orr it ain’t the loot in need its the risen farmers…

Posted by: Nalora.7964

Nalora.7964

I do not go to Orr at all anymore, the game play is horrendously tedious. The rewards for me, under the punishment of permanent DR (coughperceivedcough) are so minimal, I would rather get 2 “dorsal fins” than 2 “porous bones”

I would just like to know exactly when I might be removed from this permanent punishment for things I have not done. 5 months more? A year? When does it end?

DEMAND Bunny Slippers and a bathrobe!

Posted by: Salt.4621

Salt.4621

The party of intrepid heroes led by their guide, the one known as Tim, stealthily climb up the embankment and look down at their target.

Heroes Leader: ‘Guys, hold one sec.’ (peering down) ‘Where is it?’
Tim the Enchanter: ‘THERE!’ (pointing)
Generic Sylvari Mesmer: ‘What? Where?’
Tim the Enchanter: ‘THERE!’ (spittle flying, pointing wildly)
(sitting amongst a litter of bones, outside the entrance to a cave sits a lone chicken)
Generic Asura Guardian: (trying to get a better look) ‘Lulz! What, behind the chicken?’
Tim the Enchanter: ‘NO! IT IS THE CHICKEN!’
xXDestroyzrXx Generic Human Warrior: ‘ROFL! Ima goin in guyz!’
Tim the Enchanter: ‘NO! Wai….’ (xXDestroyzrXx charges down at the chicken)
(censored this is after all a T Rated game)
Tim the Enchanter: ‘I TOLD you…’

“Your face is funny. All squished and weird.”

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Solution – nerf chickens. Problem fixed.

Posted by: Zonzai.2341

Zonzai.2341

Anet knows. But if everybody else knows too, then it will stop. Though, I was hardly being serious. You should have taken the blue pill. The red one sent you back into the matrix where your brain is (apparently) being controlled by ANet bots.

I’ve said it before, no matter what lies you tell yourself the truth is that GW2 is the pin ball game of MMOs from 1-80 and the gear farmer extreme of MMO’s from then on.

Posted by: Revolution.6301

Revolution.6301

OP that was quite a laugh! But it is so true, probably why its so funny.

Well at times I have to weigh seriously, farming mobs like the chickens in the Tunnel run or Dragon. I’ve tried the dragon a few times and all I get are greens. Over and ovER and OVER AGAIN.

Bloodstealer.5978

Anet knows. But if everybody else knows too, then it will stop. Though, I was hardly being serious. You should have taken the blue pill. The red one sent you back into the matrix where your brain is (apparently) being controlled by ANet bots.

I’ve said it before, no matter what lies you tell yourself the truth is that GW2 is the pin ball game of MMOs from 1-80 and the gear farmer extreme of MMO’s from then on.

You are only farming gear if you want it.. its not needed so if you wanna put yourself through a grind war then that’s your choice.
My level 80’s have half decent exotics, not even complete sets and I manage just fine in all areas of the game.
The only place you need a little extra is FotM and thats only really necessary once you hit agony, the stats differnece is all but passed off anywhere else in game.

So the only grind your putting yourself through is the one inside your head telling becuase you feel naked without your percieved must have gear.

The only thing thats a grind in this game is farming emough mats to keep crafting on all your alts, but its hardly a chore and is again optional as not everyone wants to craft..

So please stop with the whinning.. and no ANET does’nt control me I am more than capable of deciding what areas of the game I wish to play or pass.. though to be honest I have no issues with any of it, except maybe a little class balancing here and there.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Sometimes i think anet is messing with me in AC with chests. Open one up, get a rare, only to see it was ghost tonic!

I get nothing but putrid piles all the time….nothing else. “I’m like oooo gold, ahhh crap.”

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Bloodstealer.5978

[quote=1404189;Afyael.1740

I don’t know about you but I think its more fun doing events and dungeons for cool drops and skins instead of getting a ton of vendor stuff/crafting materials that you repeatedly grind (YES!!!!! GRIND!) to throw in the mystic toilet for gear.

I hate crafting and gathering materials, I think it should be a viable way to get gear but you should also get rewarded decently for killing tough enemies. As it is you can get to lvl 80 and get the best items without ever leaving LA or the TP. The most efficient way to get the best items is from sitting in LA and farming the TP all day.
[/quote]

Everyone has different ways of enjoying the game and ANET have given us choices, some like to farm, grind and craft to play the Trade Wars. Some like to zerg everything to get to the top of the gear mountain, PvP ladders etc etc… I personally try and dabble in all areas as it helps keep the motivation there.
With any new game its player base will always outstrip it of content and then come to forums to complain about lack of things to do, so the devs implement new content and some new mechanics which provide players with more things to do and yes a bit of tail chasing to give the devs some breathing space in order to get the next batch of content and cashstore items ready for release..
GW2 is no different to any other MMO, except the gearing gates are a little less awkward and for the most part merely cosmetic… so yes your point is valid, it would make sense to get rewarded with such things based on efforts, but then the cashshop might need to be tweaked in other ways to create new revenue streams because
GW2 relies on the cashshop after point of sale. Therefore if they were to give away all those nice things so easily in game then there would be little demand for the casho, meaning less revenue.. which in turn could have a detrimental effect on everyone as there might not be a game to log into eventually.
Similarly they have to create mechancs and money syncs in game to try to restrict wealth as best as possible so that gem purchases become favorable to overcome players dislikes of farming or “working for their gold / their gear” etc etc"

Its a difficult one to balance I guess for ANET, cos without the feel good factor in game that we are actually achieving something and getting rewarded for it then players wont stick around anyway, but if they overcook the loot drops the game suffers by way of player boredom, ahving done/got everything and lack of revenue slows down production of new content. So I guess the way they are playing it out is to offer loot drops albeit in patches around the world but drip fed and controlled so they can keep re-evaluating it in small doses in tandem with the real $$$ returns .

(edited by Bloodstealer.5978)

Posted by: Meowwilson.5106

Meowwilson.5106

ANet promised us that all players would be on equal footing and that we wouldn’t have to grind to have an advantage.

Do I want to be as good as anybody else at doing something? Yes. Do people with better stats have an advantage at doing things? Yes. Do I have to farm for the gear with the best stats? Yes. See the connection Sherlock Holmes?

I don’t grind anything. I have not even bothered getting ascended gear at all.. heck i dont even care very much about exotic armor (looks fancy) I have actually ran dungeons with whole groups completely naked.. it really didnt change much (got downed in 5 hits instead of 6 without using heal)and we still beat it. I have no problems being just as good as other players in WvW or pve.. often times i actually see fully decked out characters that just plain suck. Other than that, the developers i have seen talking about the gear stats.. it seems to me that they just laugh at the tiny difference it gives.. this game is much more skill based than stat based. If you sit in one spot and mindless chop away at chickens with your warrior’s 100blade i can almost guarantee that you will not get any better at the game when you get your exotic items from it. you will however .. if you get the right stat boosts on your new exotics… mindlessly chop away at chickens a little faster. YAY

I’m tired of hearing your opinion on whether or not my having a statistically equal chance at success as you is optional. I was promised I wouldn’t have to grind for the best gear (stat wise). That’s not opinion. That’s not debatable. So take your opinion on the matter and go away if you don’t have anything constructive to say.

how very constructive of you.

(edited by Meowwilson.5106)

ADFX.6179

I’m torn on this. On the one hand, the distribution of loot in GW2 is unbelievably lobsided – OP’s post is spot on: more effort doesn’t get you more loot in GW2.

So we have this odd mix of fun (which is why we play) and preparing for another disappointing drop. More effort for not more reward just doesn’t sit well with our primate brains, and that’s not going to change anytime soon.

I’m convinced this simple fact is hurting GW2, and that something has to be done about this, soon.

On the other hand: do I really want big zergs farming the big DE bosses for epic loots ? Can’t we just get a laurel for a really big one ? Or if you have the balls: just make following a chained DE to the big boss fights a daily requirement. And if that’s a little bit too harsh, introduce a weekly achievement for stuff like this – kinda like the old days: you down one Onyxia a week.

I have been thinking along a similar line. In my view it boils down to the expectation of epic fights for epic loots. It’s a key ingredient in any game. Turning over the Lich King in WOW was epic. Fighting the typical event boss in GW2 is not so much so. It’s an important ingredient they are missing in actual game play. EPIC!

PVE seems to be about equipping special MF gear to net better loot from trash mobs for sale rather than finding the best battle gear you can for an epic fight with the end boss. As a matter of fact you could almost go so far as to say that the end PVE game in GW2 turns from a dynamic adventuring environment into what seems to be an area for farming gold from risen chickens and farmers to buy WV3 stuff regulated by DR… There is something wrong in that. I don’t know how to convince them to fix it or change philosophy. I like PVP but I want good PVE too.

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Ahh… kids these days. Think you’ve got it bad? Gather round and have a listen. In my day, (aka when i played ffxi, an olde mmo), there was a dragon named Tequatl. He was a fickle beast. Tequatl of yore had a spawn time of 24 hours. He could only be fought by one linkshell at a time, or guild as you kiddies call them nowadays. So linkshells would spend thousands of dollars in real life money for a claim bot. And for what, you ask? Teq dropped a pair of boots that dropped less than 5% of the time, which gave you a 12% movement speed boost… that were the only speed boost in the game and nothing else dropped them. As for me….. bring on the chickens, I says!