Where are all the horses?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jammypack.3018

Jammypack.3018

I understand that the developers decided not to implement mounts in the game, and i’m totally OK with that. But from just a game-environment perspective, seriously – where are all the horses?

I honestly don’t remember seeing one horse in the whole world. There’s a bajillion centaurs running around – where did they come from if horses don’t exist? There’s also carts everywhere in most cities, towns and garrisons, but not one horse. Did the humans hunt them to extinction? Did the centaurs?

And on the topic of mounts – and again i’m not talking about player-mounts – the Dredge have troop transports and the Azura have submarines and airships and tanks and whatnot. Didn’t any of them ever say to themselves Hey what if I put this tank engine on a cart I bet it would be faster than running to the lab?

Don’t get me wrong, it makes for a very cardio-vascular-ly healthy Tyria, but there had to be some lazy person like me wondering what the point of all this walking was and strapped some wheels and an engine or a saddle on something at some time or another.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Boomstin.3460

Boomstin.3460

They all got eaten in the great famine.

All is vain.

Posted by: Budg.3064

Budg.3064

In a world of waypoints and asura gates, I dont think engine powered mobility solutions for personal use are much of a priority. Hence why they’re only seen for transporting goods. Dolyaks seems to be the load bearing animal of choice in GW2.

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

That’s why the human vs centaur war.

Humans wanted to use them as beasts of burden…they objected…

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Horses don’t simply exist in Tyria.

A Centaur is not a horse in Tyria, a Centaur is a Centaur, and not a mix between a horse and a man.

People in Tyria uses Dolyak’s if they want anything heavy carried.

Posted by: Trickfully.1830

Trickfully.1830

well tyria isnt earth, the humans are pretty much “aliens” the human gods took em there, so therefore no horses XD

Posted by: Jammypack.3018

Jammypack.3018

Ugh – my bad – i double posted

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

The Gods were levelling their horses and didn’t press B. As a result, they evolved into Centaurs.

Slightly fabricated story.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Parthis.2091

Parthis.2091

They’re in Tesco Burgers.

Commander Amayasu Gerani, Guardian.
Leader of [JDGE] on Gandara EU.
A GW2 API for Objective-C – http://tinyurl.com/durmandpriory

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

And on top of that! Where are sagways? I mean come on asuras! Charr could have invented them by now.

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: Bonefield.9813

Bonefield.9813

A Centaur is not a horse in Tyria, a Centaur is a Centaur, and not a mix between a horse and a man.

Horses do exist in Tyria. There are several human NPCs who refer to them, talk about riding them, and make derogatory comments comparing centaurs to them. There’s also a few pieces of concept art that show people riding horses. They just haven’t been modeled in the game world for whatever reason.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

They’re in Tesco Burgers.

TOO SOON

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Neb.4170

Neb.4170

Horses have never existed in the GW world.

They use Dolyaks for everything.

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

Horses do exist to some extent in the world of Tyria. Go to Divinity’s Reach and take a look at the paintings on the sides of the circus stands.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

Guys, I think I found out what happened to the horses…

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Drop_of_Magic_Glue

Posted by: Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

Horses have never existed in the GW world.

They use Dolyaks for everything.

Not true at all. In fact in GW1 we fought necrid horsemen from orr. there are references in the mad king lore about someone being trampled by a horse. there are small tidbits about horses all over the place. We don’t know where they are now, but the definitely do/ did exist in the guild wars world at some point.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Horses do exist in Tyria. There are several human NPCs who refer to them, talk about riding them, and make derogatory comments comparing centaurs to them.

^ This. To everyone saying horses don’t exist in Tyria, go stand at the entrance of Divinity’s Reach for ~15 minutes. There is a guard to the right of the door when you are facing it. Wait for another guard to come talk to her. They will begin discussing horses and centaurs.

Posted by: ndrangles.5183

ndrangles.5183

Guys, I think I found out what happened to the horses…

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Drop_of_Magic_Glue

oh my god, how do i look at my christmas minis the same way anymore.

Majyyks [Os] – NSP

Posted by: aaron.7850

aaron.7850

Its a different world, tyrians dont ride animals like humans do, that would be an insult to nature.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Its a different world, tyrians dont ride animals like humans do, that would be an insult to nature.

lol. Again, I direct you to Divinity’s Reach gate. Just listen to what the guard has to say on horses. =D

I can see that being true for the Sylvari, I suppose.