Where are the Flail weapons?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: LazerCatPewPew.6708

LazerCatPewPew.6708

This is maybe a dumb question to ask, but I am relatively new. Been playing on and off for several months. I have never seen any flail weapons like this:

[IMG]http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/images/Product/large/ME-0045.png[/IMG]

Are they in the game?

Personally, this is my favorite weapon and it is almost never in any mmo-games. I just don’t understand. It is such a classical weapon!

If they are not in the game, I strongly urge its implementation. Even if it is not a new weapon type and uses mace skills. I love this weapon and I really wish I could be using it….!!

This is random, but something else I really miss is being able to freeze enemies and shatter them into pieces with a weapon…! Kinda got that in Diablo 2 a little bit. Always wondered if it would ever return in a game.

My girlfriend was just saying she wished Ninja stars were in the game and I’d have to agree!

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

There are no flail weapons in the game and it would seem unlikely they would add new weapons what with the extra work needed to either back date BL skins or bring the number of available skins for a new weapon up to a level of parity.

However, there is one exception and that is the Super Adventure Box mace which is a flail. It is normally only available during the festival, however there are some on the trading post for about 86g. I would expect to see more of these over time.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Super_Mace_Skin

Posted by: Evga.2471

Evga.2471

As stated above.

There are no Flail weapons in game. The only thing like that was close to a flail weapon was the wipe sword that comes and goes on the Black Lion Market.

It would be nice to see a flail weapon (Skin) as a limited item for the BL Market.

(edited by Evga.2471)

Posted by: Sorin Noroku.5342

Sorin Noroku.5342

There IS a flail LIKE skin. The Super Adventure Box maces act like flails in that they dangle and whatnot!

Attachments:

Posted by: Trise.2865

Trise.2865

It would be nice to see a flail weapon (Skin) as a limited item for the BL Market.

Funny you mention that. Check out this thing:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Chain-Whip_Sword_Skin

Not what one immediately thinks at the word “flail” in this context, but it is a flail nonetheless.

Posted by: LazerCatPewPew.6708

LazerCatPewPew.6708

Thanks for the info guys! I was also wondering if anyone else wanted to see more flails or is it something I am alone in hoping for? Even as just a few unique skins it would be really cool in my opinion.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Personally, this is my favorite weapon and it is almost never in any mmo-games. I just don’t understand. It is such a classical weapon!

Actually, it isnt a classical weapon. Even though these days it is more commonly mentioned in movies, books etc. about the middle ages, there is little historical evidence that they were commonly used. Some flails were used, of course, for example during the 16th century German peasant war but that wasnt because of their handiness in battle. They were simply harvesting tools and used because they couldnt afford regular weapons, just like pitchforks, to give a popular example.

The picture you have linked does show a “weaponized” flail, with metal chains and spiked heads, which seems to be made by a blacksmith.
However, if someone had the money to have a blackmsmith make a custom weapon for him, he would have probably opted for a sword, which is much easier to wield in battle.
No knight in his right mind would choose such a flail, with three chains and morningstars. This is probably the clumsiest melee weapon I have ever seen. Just imagine two of those connecting with your target and the third chain missing, swinging back and hitting your hand or arm. The spikes would continously hit each other or the chains during combat as well.
Thats why you wont find one of those in any history museum. Because they didnt exist.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

(edited by Wanze.8410)

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Saying that Anet should7will never add new weapon type, because “they would have to make retrocatively all kins of Bl skins for the new” weapon is a nonsensical and dumb excuse/reason for not havign to work on new weapons that could essentially make hte game bett,er add new build diversity and coudl add more fun to the game, while giving the game also new esthetical changes of gameplay for the classes with the new weapon based combat skills that could also completely change the way of how a class can fight and act in a group …

Nobody says that Anet has to add retroactively for a new weapon category, like flails , like halberds, like greataxes, like whips/chain sickles, like claws, like throwing weapons, like crossbows ect. als the already existing 30+ different skills from the Bl, plus like another 30+ common skin sets ect. pp.

That would be way too much expected work from Anet, when you see, that it is already too much work for them to complete just a single set of another legendary weapon skins, while pumping out every x weeks a new BL weapon set, like it is no problem for them …

Nobody expect from Anet, that if they add a new weapon type to the ga,me, that they have to retroactively add for that weapon type instantly countless skins – thats work that they can do (if they want) also very slowly and most like via Ninja Patches or as Ninja Content part of an Expansion, when they eventually are anyways already working on ading alot of skins for weapons as part of the expansion.

New weapons are in genereal anyways just something ANet shoudl add via new Elite Specializations and these will get added already like Anet said only via Expansions, because their introduction already started by owning the first expansion, so they simply continue this by addign further new E-Specs by expansions which will add always also new weapon skins.

SO the most logical thing would be to put here 1+1 together, that if a new expansiuon should come that adds a new weapon type, that the expansion will add most likely for that weapon then also skins for some of the already existing skin sets, while other skins that couldnt get added retroactively by the expansion that added the new weapon type, will either get stealth added by follow up patches slowly, or will get added latter once the next expansion comes.

Or they simply use the gemstore way and bring retroactively skins for the new added weapon, when the moment comes, that they bring back specific removed skin sets for a limited time into the gemstore.

But just saying that we will never see any new weapon types, just because they would have to make retroactively for them skins from already existign skin sets is just flat out nonsense.
How lousy developers would Anet be, if something so little like this would hold them back to improve their game with interestign new weapons for their game, if making skins for the new weapons is the “only problem” >.>

there its much more logical to say, weapon x wonät come, because working on the weapons animations brings Anet on some kind of unsolveable animation problems, or somethign like that, that would I let count as a good logical reason.. but not bringing retro skins for the new weapon … working on new weapon skins is already Anets daily buisiness, there is making retro skins for newer added weapons absolutely their most irrelevant “problem”

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Actually, it isnt a classical weapon. Even though these days it is more commonly mentioned in movies, books etc. about the middle ages, there is little historical evidence that they were commonly used. Some flails were used, of course, for example during the 16th century German peasant war but that wasnt because of their handiness in battle. They were simply harvesting tools and used because they couldnt afford regular weapons, just like pitchforks, to give a popular example.

The picture you have linked does show a “weaponized” flail, with metal chains and spiked heads, which seems to be made by a blacksmith.
However, if someone had the money to have a blackmsmith make a custom weapon for him, he would have probably opted for a sword, which is much easier to wield in battle.
No knight in his right mind would choose such a flail, with three chains and morningstars. This is probably the clumsiest melee weapon I have ever seen. Just imagine two of those connecting with your target and the third chain missing, swinging back and hitting your hand or arm. The spikes would continously hit each other or the chains during combat as well.
Thats why you wont find one of those in any history museum. Because they didnt exist.

or the spikes get embedded in the enemy’s shield and now you have no weapon :P

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

To be fair though, that could happen with a sword or an axe as well. One-ended flails actually might have some use as weapons but definately not flails with 3 ends.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Kusa.6438

Kusa.6438

Here is how ANet can make new weapon types work without having to go back and make lvl 1 weapons and on.

New weapon type will be Elite spec only.
Why does this work?
Elite specs are lvl 80 only.
That being said, there is no need to go back and design skins for old world content and crafting.
They will only need to make exotic versions to fulfill skin variety and then the ascended skins (which is the same skin different colors).
They will not need to go back and design any type of BL version or dungeon version of the skin. Plus, People will not be able to make the argument that they cant afford an exotic… considering you get your first free exotic once you unlock the elite spec.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

To be fair though, that could happen with a sword or an axe as well. One-ended flails actually might have some use as weapons but definately not flails with 3 ends.

It was more about the spikes than sword versus flail

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Here is how ANet can make new weapon types work without having to go back and make lvl 1 weapons and on.

New weapon type will be Elite spec only.
Why does this work?
Elite specs are lvl 80 only.
That being said, there is no need to go back and design skins for old world content and crafting.
They will only need to make exotic versions to fulfill skin variety and then the ascended skins (which is the same skin different colors).
They will not need to go back and design any type of BL version or dungeon version of the skin. Plus, People will not be able to make the argument that they cant afford an exotic… considering you get your first free exotic once you unlock the elite spec.

this is literally my saying and why I believe that not adding new weapons due to readding too many new skins is nonsense

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I understand your point if view, however Players will demand expect a wide variety of skins and also at least one new legendary per new weapon. Whilst it sounds a trivial issue, I have no doubt the extra work on the artists would not be trivial to them, especially as each new set of weapons in game and in the BL would involve x number of extra skins. Logically there becomes a point where the number of skins requiring skins becomes too time consuming. We already lack underwater skins due to this in part (alongside the seemingly incorrect belief UW isnt popular).

Separatly to skins, we already have a healthy number of weapon types for an mmo and adding more would not satiate the community who would only call for even more. GW2 uses weapons with great creativity and flexibility to the credit of the design team. Im not sure what adding say a flail or a 2h axe would actually bring that existing weapons could not already.

Maybe they will add new weapons and surprise us, but the game feels like it is in a good place with the current number. With weapons not always functioning as their real world counterpart does, using existing weapons as templates for unique skins (like morningstars) seems a more appropriate way forward.