Where are the good old days with content?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Acrisor.8097

Acrisor.8097

Some players can remember the time when months ago there was new content every 2 weeks. There were many things to do, new adventures to go into, new content to explore and taste. Now, since January 13-th (Point of no Return) there is no new content. Everything is done, complete, achieved, for 7 months.

In Black Lion Trading Company there used to be many offers and many new items, but for the past 2 months players can only buy everything on full price with the gems acquired from Heart of Thorns Ultimate pre-purchase offer.

Something tells me things will be like this till expansion. In my opinion (not that it matters) all teams are excited and working for expansion release, while players must do the same thing over and over again for a long period of time, while waiting for that great expansion to come; and when expansion hits players are very hungry, so expansion gets consumed very fast. I strongly hope my assumptions are wrong.

So the question remains: what happened with the good old days with new content, new items, and new offers in Black Lion Trading Company, every 2 weeks?

PS: Forgive me if I am sad, I am not crying, I tried to remain positive, I am simply nostalgic.

Posted by: Jimson.5168

Jimson.5168

My working speculation/conjecture/guess is that the sweeping changes to the core game to support all the new “features” coming in HoT seriously broke something deep in the game causing all the glitches and imbalances we have seen recently. There may be so many subtle little pieces of code that need to be revisited, re-tested, re-written that all work on fun stuff like festivals, LS, unique events, etc. had to stop to support major dev work on both the core game and HoT.

I’m hoping that once HoT is stable enough to release and we get into the bug-squashing hotfix, balance tweaking phase, there will be resources available to work on some of the fun things to do. At this point, I suspect no one wants HoT released and into maintenance mode more than the devs…. makes you wonder what the budget is for repairing all the holes caused by frustrated devs doing headers or throwing punches into the walls.

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

People came on the forums everyday posting about how the game needs an expansion. Posting about how they are quiting because there is no expansion. How the game is horrible without an expansion. This is what happens when games get expansions, there is a large gap between releases. LS3 + two week updates will most likely pick up once the expansion is released, but there may even be a gap between those. If we would have went without an expansion they could have released all of “stuff” in an expansion just in two week intervals. Rather then developing and testing large additions to the game they moderately add in small new features. I do not understand why people could not see that you will get all of the same stuff as an expansion it just happens slowly rather than all at once.

This is why I was against the expansion method, but a large portion of the forum base was for it. So now we wait months for this to come out, we could have already been on LS3 with parts of VB and some specializations released. Just take a break from the game and come back when the expansion comes out.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

What happened was they announced an expansion, something that great swathes of people constantly asked for. But there was no way they could sustain that and regular content.

It would have been nice to have festivals, but considering the time HoT is already taking with no release date on the horizon, it would likely have only set development time back.

The true test is how things will pan out post expac, but they wont announce that until HoT is ready or has shipped.

Posted by: Jimson.5168

Jimson.5168

It might be worth considering just how much pre-planning, development time, and testing necessary to roll out a new story arc on a two week release schedule. This is probably roughly equivalent to creating a minor expansion pack. If the core game is stable and just in maintenance mode, then it’s simply a matter of doing the scripting, art, and story line (yes, that’s overly simplistic). My point is the devs don’t have to try to write code to hit a moving target that’s constantly changing. Nothing infuriates a programmer more than having something change to negate all the work they have done because someone arbitrarily decided to change the model everyone has to code to.

Also, it does no good to simply add more programmers to a project to try to get it done faster. There is this very fine threshold where productivity goes down when there are simply too many fingers in the pie at once.

Anet may have bitten off too large a bite with this expansion considering everything they want it to include. I will just have to wait patiently while they sort it out and get something they can release. If they have to release it one zone at a time I would be happy. Trying to get everything released at once may just keep delaying things.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Christ on a pancake, find something else to do! Is it so hard??

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Acrisor.8097

Find what exactly? For the past 7 months everything is complete and nothing is new. There is a saying (or title) for moments like this : Been There Done That.

Posted by: arkealia.2713

arkealia.2713

People came on the forums everyday posting about how the game needs an expansion. Posting about how they are quiting because there is no expansion. How the game is horrible without an expansion. This is what happens when games get expansions, there is a large gap between releases. LS3 + two week updates will most likely pick up once the expansion is released, but there may even be a gap between those. If we would have went without an expansion they could have released all of “stuff” in an expansion just in two week intervals. Rather then developing and testing large additions to the game they moderately add in small new features. I do not understand why people could not see that you will get all of the same stuff as an expansion it just happens slowly rather than all at once.

This is why I was against the expansion method, but a large portion of the forum base was for it. So now we wait months for this to come out, we could have already been on LS3 with parts of VB and some specializations released. Just take a break from the game and come back when the expansion comes out.

I’m pretty sure they didn’t expect it would take that long to get an expansion and that Anet would allocate all their people to it (except for the gemstore team), bringing no further content for nearly one year.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I’m pretty sure they didn’t expect it would take that long to get an expansion and that Anet would allocate all their people to it (except for the gemstore team), bringing no further content for nearly one year.

They were warned repeatedly that there would be a large gap of up to two years for content. They didn’t care.

Posted by: Satenia.9025

Satenia.9025

That part of the community got what they asked for – their lack of foresight does not change that fact.

Posted by: ham.8209

ham.8209

Some players can remember the time when months ago there was new content every 2 weeks. There were many things to do, new adventures to go into, new content to explore and taste. Now, since January 13-th (Point of no Return) there is no new content. Everything is done, complete, achieved, for 7 months.

In Black Lion Trading Company there used to be many offers and many new items, but for the past 2 months players can only buy everything on full price with the gems acquired from Heart of Thorns Ultimate pre-purchase offer.

Something tells me things will be like this till expansion. In my opinion (not that it matters) all teams are excited and working for expansion release, while players must do the same thing over and over again for a long period of time, while waiting for that great expansion to come; and when expansion hits players are very hungry, so expansion gets consumed very fast. I strongly hope my assumptions are wrong.

So the question remains: what happened with the good old days with new content, new items, and new offers in Black Lion Trading Company, every 2 weeks?

PS: Forgive me if I am sad, I am not crying, I tried to remain positive, I am simply nostalgic.

very well said and not only that but things got fixed . and it has been some time since any thing has gotten fixed in this game . like the HOM sound fixes and so forth . it seams like now a days every time they put a new patch out it breaks something as well . it just be nice if they fixed the game problems now with maybe some small content amount. or at lest fix the game

Zypher.7609

That part of the community got what they asked for – their lack of foresight does not change that fact.

Really it is a shame, because I wonder if after the expansion was announced off they went to go play another game while waiting for it to be released. While the people that were having fun playing and enjoying the 2 week releases now get to play the same content months at a time waiting for it to be released.

Everything I have seen in this expansion so far I will enjoy. I only wished it was kept to the LS release method, but that model as been left behind for the come and go gamers that want expansions. I am sure after this expansion is released the forums will be plagued with “not enough content” or other such nonsense. This will be from the same people that complained LS was not enough content and for Arena-Net to release expansions.

I really enjoyed the LS release method and I hope that after the expansion is released they can find an equal balance to two week updates + larger update every few months. Maybe that will make the forum peoples happy?

Posted by: beastie.4536

beastie.4536

I think Anet should setup a small team and bring back some old content from season 1 LS while they are working on HOT. Stuff like Marionette/Scarlet boss fight/Molten duo dungeon. All the time they spent developing them and they were only available for 2 weeks! if you missed it then its gone forever…

Mike O’Brien: "We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.”

Posted by: HaxTester.9816

HaxTester.9816

I think they need an additional “work pipeline”, to deal with both Living World updates, and future expansion updates and upgrades.

Anvil Rockers Unite!

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

They were warned repeatedly that there would be a large gap of up to two years for content. They didn’t care.

Yepp .. can’t remember how often i warned them .. oh and i also sayed already
long before, they shouldn’t be surprised if they consume the new content in
2-3 weeks and then have to wait again 2 years until anything new will be
released.

But nobody cared .. LS is boring .. giff “real expansion” .. i don’t care about LS ..

Oh and ofc they all said they happily pay for it .. and then we had the outcry
because of the price and that ANet gave free gifts for new players.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: NetherDiver.6079

NetherDiver.6079

Find what exactly? For the past 7 months everything is complete and nothing is new. There is a saying (or title) for moments like this : Been There Done That.

Maybe he meant do something else other than only play the same game for 7 months.

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

“the good ole days” for you is not the same for others.
To myself, there was no “new content, items, etc” every 2 weeks. It was just rehashed, same junk, over and over with lame story line
That “content” got completed within a few hours it was released…
Those “items” were just backpeice skins that were biweekly flavors or timegated stuff you just worked for…..

There were some great chapters in the living story (loved twisted marionette).
but to act as if the game totally changed “every 2 weeks” is delusional. People were still doing the same stuff over and over and over again. Once you finished the LS chapter, most of the ppl went back to their normal routine of champ bag farming/open world zerging….

At least NOW they are focused on something way more meaningful and impactful to the OVERALL game than the LS nonsense that a lot of players did not see appetizing (specifically, pvp and WvWers).

I’d take xpac over LS stuff anyday

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

The 2 weeks rapid release formula didn’t do good for me. I didn’t feel that the stream of quality content was sustainable, and it really showed. Good ol’ days they were not.

LS Season 2, which did an occasional burst of content release was more desirable.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

The problem wasn’t the lack of an expansion, it was that the LS content was temporary. Huge amounts of time and resources was put into developing content that isn’t in the game any more.

ANet have been riding on how awesome the base game was for three years. But this drought is seriously problematic, especially for small/medium guilds trying to keep the members who haven’t got bored and moved on together and interested.

Posted by: NetherDiver.6079

NetherDiver.6079

The problem wasn’t the lack of an expansion, it was that the LS content was temporary. Huge amounts of time and resources was put into developing content that isn’t in the game any more.

ANet have been riding on how awesome the base game was for three years. But this drought is seriously problematic, especially for small/medium guilds trying to keep the members who haven’t got bored and moved on together and interested.

The entirety of season 2 was permanent, save for a few environmental things. We still wanted an expansion.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Personally, I very much miss the bi-weekly to bi-monthly content releases as well. But, as others have said here, this is what the overall community wanted.

And here it is . . . warnings from us about this content drought be kittened.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Satenia.9025

Satenia.9025

Really it is a shame, because I wonder if after the expansion was announced off they went to go play another game while waiting for it to be released. While the people that were having fun playing and enjoying the 2 week releases now get to play the same content months at a time waiting for it to be released.

Everything I have seen in this expansion so far I will enjoy. I only wished it was kept to the LS release method, but that model as been left behind for the come and go gamers that want expansions. I am sure after this expansion is released the forums will be plagued with “not enough content” or other such nonsense. This will be from the same people that complained LS was not enough content and for Arena-Net to release expansions.

I really enjoyed the LS release method and I hope that after the expansion is released they can find an equal balance to two week updates + larger update every few months. Maybe that will make the forum peoples happy?

I feel you, as I’m personally hoping for some kind of balance between the two as well.

To me, the bi-weekly (temporary) updates were sometimes hard to keep up with. On the other hand, I don’t necessarily require an expansions worth of content in one go, so the prolonged waiting sometimes disturbs me too.

Obviously, there will always be the kind of players that rush through new content as soon as possible and then cry for more, while they go off playing other games. Ideally, the ones that keep playing regularly would be supplied with a steady flow of updates. We got to experience both extremes by now, so as initially stated, a healthy mixture is something I would appreciate a lot.

Acrisor.8097

I am strongly hoping our opinions will be heard. If expansion hits in December 2015, by then it will be even more months without new content.

Posted by: The Master.2893

The Master.2893

People came on the forums everyday posting about how the game needs an expansion. Posting about how they are quiting because there is no expansion. How the game is horrible without an expansion. This is what happens when games get expansions, there is a large gap between releases.

You can always have both. Expansions + transitions (smaller patches) World of Warcraft used to do this very well b4 WoD came out at least.

THE MASTER HAS SPOKEN!

Posted by: sanctuary.1068

sanctuary.1068

Im very happy about the expansion IF ONLY it would have been a bit bigger than it is. A (soon) year since the announcement, and the amount of ls we would get in that amount is bigger than the expansion we will get. I srsly dont understand Anet sometimes (no offense), but the people didnt dislike living story because of the content. People disliked it because it wasnt permanent content! Anet you just built it stupid…sorry. Thats why people wanted expansion (including me) because expansion normally is permanent stuff. People also wanted to see factions or nightfall as expansion, and we didnt get that either because anet never listen to their playerbase. End of story.

Posted by: Zev.3407

Zev.3407

I hope they go back to content every 2 weeks instead of another expansion.

Prefer the game to feel actively growing then just a burst of content then nothing for a long time.

Posted by: sanctuary.1068

sanctuary.1068

If they go back to 2 weeks tho, it HAS to be permanent content. Like new dungeon paths & or maps. It can also be mixed, some stuff can be permanent and some yolo content.

Zypher.7609

Im very happy about the expansion IF ONLY it would have been a bit bigger than it is. A (soon) year since the announcement, and the amount of ls we would get in that amount is bigger than the expansion we will get. I srsly dont understand Anet sometimes (no offense), but the people didnt dislike living story because of the content. People disliked it because it wasnt permanent content! Anet you just built it stupid…sorry. Thats why people wanted expansion (including me) because expansion normally is permanent stuff. People also wanted to see factions or nightfall as expansion, and we didnt get that either because anet never listen to their playerbase. End of story.

LS2 is permanent.. so your point is not very valid.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

When people said they wanted an expansion, they meant they wanted something on the scale of Factions or Nightfall, complete with all the bells and whistles. As is, we’re not even getting a new playable race (a standard MMO expansion feature) and what we are getting seems to be kitten at best.

Beldin.5498

When people said they wanted an expansion, they meant they wanted something on the scale of Factions or Nightfall, complete with all the bells and whistles. As is, we’re not even getting a new playable race (a standard MMO expansion feature) and what we are getting seems to be kitten at best.

There were new playable races in Factions or Nightfall ?

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

SkiTz.4590

No but they added 2 new professions in each … as well as 2 new pvp modes in factions and 1 more in nightfall

Beldin.5498

No but they added 2 new professions in each … as well as 2 new pvp modes in factions and 1 more in nightfall

Revenant, Stronghold .. ok its just one more profession, but for that we get the
new mastery traitlines / weapons on all other classes.

Acrisor.8097

Thank you for the feedback. It seems I am not the only one who feels a big gap of content.

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

What I understood ,from what Anet was saying while LW was active,
is that they had separate teams for LW and the content that we usually
associate with expansions,and that both were being developed parallel to
each other.
I didn’t expect that big of a content gap either.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

People cried because there wasn’t an expansion, and now people are crying because they’re working on an expansion.

Basically, people on the internet are going to cry.

SkiTz.4590

People cried because there wasn’t an expansion, and now people are crying because they’re working on an expansion.

Basically, people on the internet are going to cry.

water is wet. shocking.

I honestly don’t see much crying about anet making an xpac thou.
The only ones doing it are the uber casuals who just miss their little story plots every 2 weeks and new skin to play dressup..

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

All I can say is that from my point of view I was holding out faith they would be able to give us things as time went by. I enjoyed the 2 week updates and even if they increased them to 3 weeks it would be a far sight better than what we are getting now. I had fun with constantly being able to find something new to do even if some of the updates were a bit trivial (sign posts… lol). Now I forum surf and watch movies instead of playing. Gem store sales mean nothing to a guy that sees no reason to log in.

In this case the majority that wanted an expansion in place of ANet delivering on their promise was very wrong IMO. I could take another break, but truth be told if it takes much longer I may just uninstall, as I did for LotRO and Champions Online (both of which I have lifetime subs for) and never return. In closing no matter how good this Xpac turns out to be, it is NOT worth the wait to me thus-far.

SkiTz.4590

All I can say is that from my point of view I was holding out faith they would be able to give us things as time went by. I enjoyed the 2 week updates and even if they increased them to 3 weeks it would be a far sight better than what we are getting now. I had fun with constantly being able to find something new to do even if some of the updates were a bit trivial (sign posts… lol). Now I forum surf and watch movies instead of playing. Gem store sales mean nothing to a guy that sees no reason to log in.

In this case the majority that wanted an expansion in place of ANet delivering on their promise was very wrong IMO. I could take another break, but truth be told if it takes much longer I may just uninstall, as I did for LotRO and Champions Online (both of which I have lifetime subs for) and never return. In closing no matter how good this Xpac turns out to be, it is NOT worth the wait to me thus-far.

Bye. Good things don’t happen overnight.

This xpac is going to do WAY more than what has happened in the past 2 years with the boring story plot advancements every 2 weeks and flavor of the month backpeices to farm for. I had no reason to play even when they had those bi weekly updates because of how lackluster majority of the updates were outside of a very few open world fights (twisted marionette and LA siege, thats about the only fun I had).

Tommyknocker.6089

This xpac is going to do WAY more than what has happened in the past 2 years with the boring story plot advancements every 2 weeks and flavor of the month backpeices to farm for. I had no reason to play even when they had those bi weekly updates because of how lackluster majority of the updates were outside of a very few open world fights (twisted marionette and LA siege, thats about the only fun I had).

You say the Xpac will do more than what has happened in the last 2 years, but you do realize that the game is on the cusp of it’s 3 year anniversary? That is a full year of no (or VERY little) content. I will most likely keep it installed for now, please no tears, but honestly I would have been happier if the majority here would have just let them add things as they went along as was previously planned.

You do recall they did add in the majority of crafting disciplines to 500, festivals, ascended armor, and a whole ton of other things ALONG with the “boring” other content right? But the majority complained about NEEDING an XPAC!!!! so they stopped everything to make it. Again TO ME it was the wrong decision.

Posted by: Tenken.7342

Tenken.7342

There will not be significant updates in content until HoT is live. It’s a simple matter of resource management and logistics. The HoT content (which is relatively substantial) will be integrated into a version of the current game that largely resembles its current form. So outside of game breaking glitches, seasonal events (where the the game reverts back to the same version as before the event), and gemstore updates please don’t expect much.

Any changes they make to the game’s current version has to be updated in the HoT version they are working on. Essentially there are currently two versions of GW2 at the moment and keeping the two core games as close as possible reduces the amount of time and resources needed to keep the two working. Significant content updates occurring at the same time as development of the expansion would make programming the HoT version more difficult than it would be otherwise. It’s like trying to hit a moving target vs. a stationary one. The more content that gets changed now means the more time it will take to integrate the HoT content and get the expansion out. It’s in their best interest to minimize the number of updates the game has between now and the release of the expansion. Once it does go live, however, there will be more frequent updates.

In my (and others) opinion(s) they probably waited too long to develop the expansion while trying to push the limits of significant content updates with LS but that doesn’t really matter at this point, especially if you are bored with the game. Just try and enjoy what we have or take a break. Personally, I’m using the time to prepare for HoT by gathering crafting materials and gold.

See you in game,
-Tenken

SkiTz.4590

You say the Xpac will do more than what has happened in the last 2 years, but you do realize that the game is on the cusp of it’s 3 year anniversary? That is a full year of no (or VERY little) content. I will most likely keep it installed for now, please no tears, but honestly I would have been happier if the majority here would have just let them add things as they went along as was previously planned.

You do recall they did add in the majority of crafting disciplines to 500, festivals, ascended armor, and a whole ton of other things ALONG with the “boring” other content right? But the majority complained about NEEDING an XPAC!!!! so they stopped everything to make it. Again TO ME it was the wrong decision.

You realize how neglected other parts of this game was in the 3 years? Dungeons? nope , don’t care. ONE fractal revamp (literally the only endgame,somewhat challenging PvE content in the game. WvW BARELY touched. PvP BARELY TOUCHED.

All for what? A cheesy Living story plot that is completed within a few hours, short lived parades, flavor of the month skins to play barbie doll dress up and show off who has the better sparkle.

When did you become a game director with information and data to support a statement of “this is the wrong path we are taking for the direction of the game”
You one of the few that thinks its the wrong decision….

Making this xpac was an EASY business decision.

You see, if anet’s plan was ACTUALLY working the past couple years, you wouldn’t see such drops in the player population. More and more people were leaving the game. Maps were EMPTY because a lot of servers were dead, hence introduction of the megaserver system.
What could anet do to get a boost in revenue? xpac!!

Ardenwolfe.8590

The only ones doing it are the uber casuals who just miss their little story plots every 2 weeks and new skin to play dressup..

Clearly, you did not read the forums last year.

Gone to Reddit.

SkiTz.4590

Clearly, you did not read the forums last year.

how does that matter? show me all the ppl that cried left?
Some maybe did sure, but who says they can’t come back when xpac releases?
forums are not a majority..still plenty of ppl in game, don’t see anyone whining in game…

Ardenwolfe.8590

How does that matter? You made a point of not seeing much crying about an expansion. Hence my comment about you not reading the forums a year ago. Because back then, there was nothing but that complaint.

And are you not reading this thread? Is that not the point of it? That people are leaving because of the content drought?

Hello?

And do you know why you don’t see much ‘whining in game?’ Because those people who are unhappy left. Most of us who remain just log in, do our dailies, and log right back out.

Really? You needed that pointed out?

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

Tommyknocker.6089

SkiTz.4590

Clearly we will never reach an understanding on this topic, and that is good because different opinions are what makes the world great. I could answer all the points you brought up, but I prefer to spend my time actually doing something much more constructive, unlike, I am sure, the guys that wanted the Xpac in GW2. So I am off to work.

(edited by Tommyknocker.6089)

SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

Clearly we will never reach an understanding on this topic, and that is good because different opinions are what makes the world great. I could answer all the points you brought up, but I prefer to spend my time actually doing something much more constructive, unlike, I am sure ,the guys that wanted the Xpac in GW2.

Agreed.
You maybe doing something constructive but your still on the forums talking about threatening to quit lol because anet made an xpac…

Acrisor.8097

Please try to keep this topic in a positive and constructive feedback. Blaming people who asked for expansion (without them being around) is not good conversation. Final decision for an expansion is not from players, but from ArenaNet’s Staff.

This topic though is not about expansion, it’s origins, decisions for it, or players fault for asking it; this topic it is a feedback about the big gap of content in all these months, while waiting for the new and great expansion announced so far, in contrast with moments when content was delivered every 2 weeks.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Except for the new jumping puzzle in Lion’s Arch and the Karka hunt that’s true. I enjoyed the Karka hunt though, since it had clues in the achievements panel on where to find them, and audio clues in the world. I thought it was very well done. Enjoyed the jumping puzzle too.

Posted by: Harny.6012

Harny.6012

Somethign else where all friends I log in for would be as well?
Yes, it seems impossible at this point

Posted by: Arietta The Broken.1875

Arietta The Broken.1875

7 months without content is enough to drive anyone away from the game. What is going to bring them back? $50 price tag? when they’ve already had a 7 month drought of content whats to stop that happening again after they drop that cash into the game.

I don’t understand people sticking up for Anet here. We’ve had no events, nothing new to do except one jumping puzzle and one scavenger hunt in the last 7 months.

Their model might be b2p. As in, people come and go.. but what brings people back when they have proved content can’t be produced in a satisfactory time scale.

The anniversary should have been the announcement of the expac release date. Not ‘give us more money so we can finish the xpac’

You’re dumb. You’ll die, and you’ll leave a dumb corpse.