Where is Eric Flannum?

Where is Eric Flannum?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Eric Flannum was the Lead Designer of Guild Wars 2, and during development he was one of the most talkative developers behind the game.

After release… He has disappeared. His linkedin profile still lists him as working at ArenaNet, now as a Game Director, but we haven’t heard anything about him in quite some time.

Has anyone heard something recently about him?

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Where is Eric Flannum?

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

you can visit him right outside divinitys reach, he is working at the dam.

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

Where is Eric Flannum?

Posted by: Araziel.7201

Araziel.7201

I imagine he got nerfed at some point.

Where is Eric Flannum?

Posted by: Erick Alastor.3917

Erick Alastor.3917

He ran away with the money. Just kidding
Anyway I like your signature

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

Where is Eric Flannum?

Posted by: Araziel.7201

Araziel.7201

Where is Eric Flannum?

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

Yeah we haven’t heard much about Eric Flannum.

Also, it seems that the game director is now Colin Johanson. (It shows that title in his forum posts.)

Where is Eric Flannum?

Posted by: Rosen Myst.7641

Rosen Myst.7641

And for that matter where is Mike O’Brien. He is after all the founder and president of Anet. During beta we frequently saw posts or videos he put together. At launch he updated the status of various problems being addressed. But since then nothing; so I wonder if he’s directing other projects now?

Where is Eric Flannum?

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

And for that matter where is Mike O’Brien. He is after all the founder and president of Anet. During beta we frequently saw posts or videos he put together. At launch he updated the status of various problems being addressed. But since then nothing; so I wonder if he’s directing other projects now?

He is the head of Arenanet he doesn’t work on the game directly. I think he last appeared at the infamous AMA after the ascended item fiasco.

As for Eric who knows, I can’t recall hearing anything from him since the game launch.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

(edited by morrolan.9608)

Where is Eric Flannum?

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Game Director
ArenaNet
February 2005 – Present (8 years 5 months)Sammamish Washington

Maybe hes just working on other stuff?

http://www.linkedin.com/company/arenanet/employee-insights?trk=top_nav_insights

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

(edited by Geotherma.2395)

Where is Eric Flannum?

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

My guess is that Colin was promoted to direct the live team, while Eric is secretly directing/ designing future content (for something big, i.e. an expansion).

Where is Eric Flannum?

Posted by: Mada.5319

Mada.5319

My guess is that Colin was promoted to direct the live team, while Eric is secretly directing/ designing future content (for something big, i.e. an expansion).

My money is on this. I mean, we don’t hear much from the art/story team as well. What else could they be doing right now????

They even mentioned that their staff was being divided into two groups. Live team to maintain the current game and the other to work on expansions.

Where is Eric Flannum?

Posted by: TheOneNOnlyGeneralBama.9586

TheOneNOnlyGeneralBama.9586

They creating more 5 min dungeons , RNG skins and more feminine clothing for the gem store

I never expect to lose. Even when I’m the Engineer , I still prepare a victory speech.

Where is Eric Flannum?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Eric has been seen since launch, just not as much as Colin has. I know I remember seeing him in one of the twice videos on the Anet channel, after launch for sure, but not recently.

Still, Colin is actually very popular with the fan base, though you might not always know it from these forums. I suspect Colin is the guy that “takes the heat”, so that Eric can get on working. They don’t need everyone front in center all the time. Looks like Colin and Jon Peters are the two guys manning the gate at the moment.

Where is Eric Flannum?

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

They creating more 5 min dungeons , RNG skins and more feminine clothing for the gem store

That’s not how it works.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Where is Eric Flannum?

Posted by: Algo.3972

Algo.3972

I’m really curious about this. Eric always seemed like an exceptionally wise bloke.

Where is Eric Flannum?

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Id like to know where a lot of the devs and brass are. Id like to know why chris whiteside has not held one single AMA since the AMA in November(no doubtedly to stave off the swarm of negativity generated from ascended gear). He did say he would like to do the AMA more often. Its been months, not a single one.

Wheres flannum?

Wheres Obrian?

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Where is Eric Flannum?

Posted by: grumbles.5412

grumbles.5412

These people are most definitely very busy working on the game /managing the studio’s teams.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

Where is Eric Flannum?

Posted by: Serelisk.6573

Serelisk.6573

This is a necro but the question is still relevant to me since I was thinking about submitting pretty much the exact same thread but I found this through a google search of the forums.

Kegmaster

Where is Eric Flannum?

Posted by: Geikamir.6329

Geikamir.6329

He’s either working on an expansion or they buried him in the back with all the other formerly good things they had going for them.

Toons: Foreseer, Geikamir, Rapscallion, Specimen, Scythian, Zeau, Ärtifact, and Replica.

Where is Eric Flannum?

Posted by: Serelisk.6573

Serelisk.6573

I laughed at that harder than I should have.

Kegmaster

Where is Eric Flannum?

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Well played Geikamir. Well played. Laughed as well.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Where is Eric Flannum?

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

he took his tribal armor and logged off… forever

Where is Eric Flannum?

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Now with the recent news of expansion etc: We still haven’t seen or heard about all the big names:

- Eric Flannum
- Ree Soesbee
- Jeff Grubb
- and some others

It’s okay if they just work there, but they were so active before release of GW2 back in 2011/2012 and now they haven’t said a word since then.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Where is Eric Flannum?

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

don ‘t worry guys, he’s going to come back as the second revenant

Where is Eric Flannum?

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

My guess?
either he is on extended haitus, or he is working on a new game property

Where is Eric Flannum?

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

(Jeff Grubb) was in a photo recently from Rubi’s twitter. So he is at least still making contact with the office.