Where is the Role Play at?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Valena.5160

Valena.5160

I’m new to the game and I noticed that when choosing a world to play on, there aren’t any designations such as PvP/PvE/RP servers.

I want to be on the best server for Role Play, but as it stands I don’t know which ones have thriving Role Play communities. Do they all? Is it only a handful? Or is there one server that rises above the rest as is the case in many MMOs?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

A little more info: I’m generally looking for a heavily populated server located in America.

(edited by Valena.5160)

Posted by: MrLee.6892

MrLee.6892

NA Tarnished Coast is the unofficial RP server with a good population!

(edited by MrLee.6892)

Posted by: Tito.3270

Tito.3270

US: Tarnished coast
EU: Piken square

http://www.guildwars2roleplayers.com/

MrLee.6892

ack double post!

Posted by: Sin.8174

Sin.8174

Tarnished Coast- Unofficial, community made RP server for NA.

Orphyn X – 8X Thief – Tarnished Coast
Lady Raevyn – 11 Necromancer – TC
Fanboy- The New Godwin’s Law.

Posted by: EnochDagor.6185

EnochDagor.6185

Not sure I’ve seen a single player RP. Honestly, RP is a dying thing in the MMORPG. Almost worth removing the RP in the name. TBH, I haven’t seen people truly RP since Everquest… and even then it was an RP server and was a rare event.

80 Elementalist – Sanctum of Rall
Various other classes for figuring out how to kill em (thief, warrior, mesmer, etc…)
War is much more fun when you’re winning! – General Martok

Posted by: Isredel.4302

Isredel.4302

I would recommend visiting http://www.guildwars2roleplayers.com/

Tarnished Coast is the unofficial USA RP server while Piken Square is the unofficial UK/Euro RP server.

Viktor Rageclaw: Seaimpin na Cu, (Officer)
Gaiscioch Social Gaming Community http://www.gaiscioch.com/

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

I chose Tarnished Coast as my world specifically because it was decided upon by various roleplaying communities as the place to go.

That’s not to say its the only world with roleplaying though.

User was infracted for being awesome.

Valena.5160

Thanks for the replies all.

Looks like Tarnished Coast is full and I can’t select that world. Is that a permanent thing? Is there any workaround? I’d happily wait in a queue but that doesn’t look like it’s a possibility.

Posted by: Craven.5468

Craven.5468

Not sure I’ve seen a single player RP. Honestly, RP is a dying thing in the MMORPG. Almost worth removing the RP in the name. TBH, I haven’t seen people truly RP since Everquest… and even then it was an RP server and was a rare event.

Then you have not seen Tarnished Coast. I have walked past multiple groups in actively engaging RP of a variety of types and styles (PVE combat RP, social Tavern talk, etc).

Posted by: ituhata.6830

ituhata.6830

I’ve been on Tarnished Coast and now Fort Aspenwood. Tarnished Coast is clearly RP oriented. Only place I’ve quested with people openly RPing during dynamic events (bet that adds a challenge, try RPing while dodging hits!) and have witnessed players huddled in taverns spread throughout the world.

Caelthras – Fort Aspenwood
3rd Flora Artillery Unit

Sin.8174

Looks like Tarnished Coast is full and I can’t select that world. Is that a permanent thing? Is there any workaround? I’d happily wait in a queue but that doesn’t look like it’s a possibility.

Try in the off-peak hours later tonight.

MrLee.6892

Are you on Tarnished Coast, because there are tons of people doing it.

I don’t RP myself, but I do occasionally watch them. Sometimes it’s like watching a movie, pretty funny at times!

Posted by: Avatar.1923

roleplaying is dead.

we have “troopers” behind their computer screens. virtually complaining.

long gone are the days of pen and paper. and of roleplayers.

Valena.5160

Thanks, I’ll try that. One last question though. If go create my characters during slower hours and I try and log on again later during peak hours, will I not be able to get in? Or will it always make room for people who have characters on the world?

Valena.5160

roleplaying is dead.

Roleplaying is where and how you make it. It can be online in a computer game, in a tabletop game, or even in bed! It will never die as long as people have imagination.

Posted by: Craven.5468

Craven.5468

Thanks, I’ll try that. One last question though. If go create my characters during slower hours and I try and log on again later during peak hours, will I not be able to get in? Or will it always make room for people who have characters on the world?

Once you get in, you will be able to log on normally, not restricted by the status found on account/server home creation. However, as this continues we may some day see queues for login. I have not yet seen this and I play on EST prime time.

Valena.5160

Once you get in, you will be able to log on normally, not restricted by the status found on account/server home creation. However, as this continues we may some day see queues for login. I have not yet seen this and I play on EST prime time.

Thank you! I’ll wait a while and get in when I can.

And thanks to everyone who suggested TC, I’m looking forward to seeing you all there.

Sin.8174

When you try to log in during peak hours, more than likely you’ll be put into an overflow server.

Overflow servers are the ’in-between’ servers that still allow you to play normally, while waiting for the server queue. After a bit (sometimes it’s as fast as a minute, sometimes slo as 15) You’ll get a message saying you can now enter the server. It’s a really nifty feature.

Valena.5160

When you try to log in during peak hours, more than likely you’ll be put into an overflow server.

Overflow servers are the ‘in-between’ servers that still allow you to play normally, while waiting for the server queue. After a bit (sometimes it’s as fast as a minute, sometimes slo as 15) You’ll get a message saying you can now enter the server. It’s a really nifty feature.

These overflow servers allow you to play your character that you’ve created on your home world while you wait, or do you have to make new ones? Either way it does sound interesting.

Posted by: Shinxy.5689

Shinxy.5689

roleplaying is dead.

Wrong. You just have to get out from behind your computer screen and go to your local gaming shop! Personally I play pen & paper games weekly and the boardgaming/pen and paper roleplaying world is seeing some of a renaissance as of late. It’s a niche audience but wasn’t it always?

But MMOs really don’t lend themselves well to RP. I’m just speaking for myself but I thinkthey are way too “computer gamey.” I’d feel ridiculous trying to actually act out a scene in-game. I prefer to reserve that sort of thing for my weekly game nights.

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

I see people RPing all over Tarnished Coast constantly. It’s an extremely active community.

Sin.8174

Overflow servers are the ‘in-between’ servers that still allow you to play normally, while waiting for the server queue. After a bit (sometimes it’s as fast as a minute, sometimes slo as 15) You’ll get a message saying you can now enter the server. It’s a really nifty feature.

These overflow servers allow you to play your character that you’ve created on your home world while you wait, or do you have to make new ones? Either way it does sound interesting.

Nope, no creations needed. Just pick the character you’ve already made, and if the home server’s full you’ll be placed into ‘Overflow’. (You’ll get a message when you log on if you are in overflow.)

It’s just their way of handling server overloads until more room is available.

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

Nope, no creations needed. Just pick the character you’ve already made, and if the home server’s full you’ll be placed into ‘Overflow’. (You’ll get a message when you log on if you are in overflow.)

It’s just their way of handling server overloads until more room is available.

For the record, I usually never spend more than a minute or so in the overflow. I port to Lions Arch, and usually by the time I run to where I’m going, the queue has popped. (I’m usually running for the crow’s nest tavern for RP action.)

Posted by: Calavera.1086

Calavera.1086

I really love RPing but by the time I found that TC is the unofficial server I had already created my char in another server. Then I tried to move but TC was full. I’ll keep trying tho.

The biggest problem I find with RPing is that I can’t type fast enough. By the time I get a sentence finished the subject has already moved or the joke isn’t funny anymore

Posted by: Avatar.1923

roleplaying is dead.

Wrong. You just have to get out from behind your computer screen and go to your local gaming shop! Personally I play pen & paper games weekly and the boardgaming/pen and paper roleplaying world is seeing some of a renaissance as of late. It’s a niche audience but wasn’t it always?

But MMOs really don’t lend themselves well to RP. I’m just speaking for myself but I thinkthey are way too “computer gamey.” I’d feel ridiculous trying to actually act out a scene in-game. I prefer to reserve that sort of thing for my weekly game nights.

hidden behind a computer screen is the easiest to roleplay!
everytime my toon “/say” something its in character.
guild, map chat etc; regular talk.

try it

Posted by: Eveningstar.6940

Eveningstar.6940

roleplaying is dead.

Man, the negativity on these forums. Our cup runneth over with pessimism.

Valerie Cross: Roleplayer, Writer, Tarnished Coast

A Beginner’s Guide to Guardians

Posted by: Viith.2805

Viith.2805

If you go to the tavern in Divinity’s Reach (the name escapes me right now, bottom left corner of the map), it’s always packed with people RPing.

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

^Busted Flagon. And yes, always crowded with RPers.

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

Rping, ya know I don’t out and out despise the people that do it, but fgs do so many do it so BADLY that it makes me wanna bury my face in the drywall, repeatedly.

They don’t keep in line with the environment they’re trying to blend into and emulate, divinities reach may have armor clad knights and ye olde style fashion, but no one uses “thee” instead of “you” and yet, a few rp’ers have crossed that line.
So, we get people INTERPRETING how it should be for immersion, and then destroying natural immersion for others as a result.

However more power to those who RP and do it justice, I’m sure as long as they’re not annoyingly ramming it down the throats of non rp’ers then it’s a fine and enjoyable way of enhancing the experience of Guild Wars 2.

Irony…. xD

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

roleplaying is dead.

You don’t even have to get out from behind the computer screen. There’s whole forums devoted to text-based role-play, DnD and whatever else. Even various MUD/MUSH style game still going.

Rping, ya know I don’t out and out despise the people that do it, but fgs do so many do it so BADLY that it makes me wanna bury my face in the drywall, repeatedly.

They don’t keep in line with the environment they’re trying to blend into and emulate, divinities reach may have armor clad knights and ye olde style fashion, but no one uses “thee” instead of “you” and yet, a few rp’ers have crossed that line.
So, we get people INTERPRETING how it should be for immersion, and then destroying natural immersion for others as a result.

However more power to those who RP and do it justice, I’m sure as long as they’re not annoyingly ramming it down the throats of non rp’ers then it’s a fine and enjoyable way of enhancing the experience of Guild Wars 2.

This is what put me off joining a role-play guild in GW1. It was all “Tell me good sir, where doth thee findeth a taven in these parts?” and in a game where the NPCs use fairly modern language it just looked rediculous.

That and there was a lot of Pride & Prejudice style, overly polite “I wonder if I might beg your permission for a moment of your time in which to trouble you with the impertience of a question?” style dialogue going on and neither me nor my character has the patience for that. Even if I managed to stay in character it’d still involve rolling my eyes and telling them to get on with it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Valena.5160

This is what put me off joining a role-play guild in GW1. It was all “Tell me good sir, where doth thee findeth a taven in these parts?” and in a game where the NPCs use fairly modern language it just looked rediculous.

That and there was a lot of Pride & Prejudice style, overly polite “I wonder if I might beg your permission for a moment of your time in which to trouble you with the impertience of a question?” style dialogue going on and neither me nor my character has the patience for that. Even if I managed to stay in character it’d still involve rolling my eyes and telling them to get on with it.

I usually find that these kinds of people are new to RP and just try way too hard. A few helpful whispers and taking the time to lead by example (mostly by RPing with them or at least having them watch) usually sets them on the right track. Luckily I think these players are in a decreasing minority.

Posted by: Ten.8421

Ten.8421

Every time I /say something (beyond “Thank you” or “No problem” for revives/player help), it’s in character. I have run into quite a few people who have played along with that spontaneously. If you are not shy, you should try it sometime.

Of course, that can also backfire… I once tossed an IC quip at an NPC and some other players seemed to take that as a cue to spew some misogynist crap (the NPC happened to be female). And every now and then, you will get people trying to mock you about it. That’s how block lists get populated.

Gamut Gaming Group [GGG], an inclusive non-oppression, non-prejudice, non-normativity group.