Where's MY story?

Where's MY story?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: adragon.1234

adragon.1234

In GW2 they have 2 story telling tools
1. Dynamic Events
2. Personal Story Quests

They’ve stated before that the Dynamic events reflect the worlds story, while the Personal Story Quests reflect your story and that of the Destiny’s Edge. I think this view has been lost with this weekends event.

In this first part we witnessed a quest to research a weakness in the Karka, and to find the connection between the Consortium and the Karka (which I am still waiting on a broken Event to finish as of this writing). These are executed as Dynamic Events or Environment Puzzles, yet when you are doing these events are are doing them for yourself, other players are around you, but the NPC’s only talk to you, and they never reference getting help from other players, only you.

I think they should have handled these “dynamic events”, where it’s your goal to interact with a single NPC and get his information, as an instanced Personal Storyline quest. Why have 30 people gangbang on the same guy for the same information every 3 seconds? That’s not fun, that’s not interesting. They should have played it up a bit by having each of these instanced. Then the investigation becomes more personal to me, and I become more involved in what’s happening, and while I can’t be certain, I do get the feeling that progress would be halted less often.

Long before launch I was under the impression that was their goal, to make me feel involved, like I was a part of a developing story. When I see 30 people waiting around to do the same thing I’m doing, I don’t feel involved in a story, I feel involved in a group that’s only together for 3 seconds, which is just an empty experience.

Personal Story Quests should not just be Me vs The Dragons. It’s a tool that could be used to make these monthly events that much more personal to me. Instead of saying “Hey guys, remember running around and getting those.. DE’s… I think?” I would be saying “It was so awesome to track down that Consortium conspiracy person by person and figure out what they were up to. Do you guys remember such and such conversation, I laughed so hard.”

Hopefully Anet will prove to be a company that learns from it’s mistakes in developing this game, and will learn to use the tools it’s creative more effectively in the future.

“The only lasting peace is the peace within your own soul.” ~Ventari

(edited by adragon.1234)

Where's MY story?

Posted by: Arsenic Touch.7960

Arsenic Touch.7960

Agreed. It would cut down on over farming of events. It would cut down on lag.
It would make it that much more interesting and if it’s too hard you can invite some guildies to do it with you. Hopefully they’ll update the personal story for the new zone, but I won’t hold my breath.

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

Dragonbrand – Level 80 – Human Ranger

Where's MY story?

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

The monthly event’s are world events, personal stories have more voice work associated with them especially if you start to expect branching and all that but even without.

You have to remember that lines recorded for one off things are more often than not reusable.

Where's MY story?

Posted by: MrMacAndCheese.3907

MrMacAndCheese.3907

After enough personal instances, you have to ask yourself, “Why am I not playing Skyrim?”

Where's MY story?

Posted by: Tooks.8701

Tooks.8701

After enough personal instances, you have to ask yourself, “Why am I not playing Skyrim?”

Because Skyrim doesn’t have WvW

Where's MY story?

Posted by: Rottaran Owain.6789

Rottaran Owain.6789

Because Skyrim has combat with the depth of a wading pool.

Where's MY story?

Posted by: adragon.1234

adragon.1234

He’s trying to make the point out that after too much instanced content it feels like a single player game. So maybe they should pace the amount of Personal Story Quests they use. I still think they should use more though, I completed my personal story a couple months ago now, and giving me some instanced content again would put me back in touch with my characters personality.

“The only lasting peace is the peace within your own soul.” ~Ventari

Where's MY story?

Posted by: MrMacAndCheese.3907

MrMacAndCheese.3907

Where’s the Personal Story in WvW? Unless you talk to yourself, as I suspect alot of pvpers do….vent and all that…..

anyways, if you have to explain it, it’s not funny. Except to me.

Where's MY story?

Posted by: Tooks.8701

Tooks.8701

Where’s the Personal Story in WvW? Unless you talk to yourself, as I suspect alot of pvpers do….vent and all that…..

anyways, if you have to explain it, it’s not funny. Except to me.

Oh I got your joke don’t worry. I even agree with you to some extent. I’ve not slept much and that makes me a bit of an kitten. Sorry about that hah.