Where's elona/Cantha?

Where's elona/Cantha?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: spookywar.2106

spookywar.2106

I know what you’re all thinking, another whinge to Anet. Lets face it new continents are
something a majority of the playerbase has wanted from the start. I love the direction of the story but I would love it so much more if it led into another continent. If eso can do it why can’t Anet.
Please ANET let us see the rest of tyria in your beautiful new game engine.

The weak can’t choose their way of death.

Where's elona/Cantha?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/The-Cantha-Thread-Merged/

There’s an Elona one too. Just because other games are doing something, doesn’t mean that this one has to. I’d prefer a brand new continent rather than Elona or Cantha. If I wanted to experience those then I can just play GW1

Where's elona/Cantha?

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

We are not buying enough Black Lion stuff to fund that.

Where's elona/Cantha?

Posted by: Alec B.8905

Alec B.8905

The idea of adding elona/cantha back into the game has always been in Anets mined, but they cannot commit to it yet or maybe they have(next expansion). We will never know if they will bring it back or not.
Almost the entire player base is begging Anet to add cantha or elona into the game, it is something that could be an amazing way for gw2 to make a SHART ton of money to fund even more things into the game. Imagine how many people would rejoin the game and play just to check out this amazing new continent.

Where's elona/Cantha?

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Imagine how many people would rejoin the game and play just to check out this amazing new continent.

And then whine about how it wasn’t done well enough. :\

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Where's elona/Cantha?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Technically Morrowind isn’t a continent, it’s a province on the continent of Tamriel and most of it was already in ESO. What they’re getting is the island of Vvardenfell which is just off the coast of the mainland and tiny in comparison to a continent (especially when so much of it is inaccessible due to the active volcano, crazed vampire lord and assorted curses).

I wish ESO was getting a new continent, I’d love to be able to see Akavir or Atmora…but that’s a topic for another forum.

Secondly just because 1 game does a thing doesn’t mean all the rest must copy them immediately.

Thirdly we probably will get to see Elona and/or Cantha one day (hopefully both) but Anet seems to want to fill in the map of Tyria (the continent) first. They’ve started doing that with HoT and the Living Story and the hints we’ve got so far suggest that in the next expansion we’ll be going into the far north, some of which we saw in GW1 and some we’ve never seen before.

I’m happy with either personally. I’d love to see Elona with GW2 graphics, I think it’d look amazing (although I’m not sure what state it’d be in now). But just like I want to go to Akavir because it’s somewhere Elder Scrolls games have never shown I’d also like to go to all the places around Tyria we’ve never been able to go before. Like up into the heart of the Charr homelands, or the Isle of Janthir or east beyond Ascalon or even just all the little bits and pieces like that strip in the Shiverpeaks where the maps don’t join up.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Where's elona/Cantha?

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

Why are we comparing eso with gw2 or zenimax with anet?
Look at the current map,plenty of spaces to be expored who can be just as or more beautifull than cantha or elona… Andthen theres also many maaany more continents and areas other than those two on the planet.

Or are you just being nostalgic?

Where's elona/Cantha?

Posted by: OnizukaBR.8537

OnizukaBR.8537

Cantha! Cantha! Cantha!

Where's elona/Cantha?

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

fully enjoying ESO myself and can not wait for the new stuff to come out there. as well as you do not need to sub to still play the game but you can get that if you like .as well as its support for DX11 .

I’m curious — what does DX11 support actually bring to the table here?

Where's elona/Cantha?

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

fully enjoying ESO myself and can not wait for the new stuff to come out there. as well as you do not need to sub to still play the game but you can get that if you like .as well as its support for DX11 .

Nothing, by itself.

Some people seem to think updating to DX11 is a magic wand that’ll fix whatever they don’t like. They don’t seem to realise that upgrading DX versions would only be the beginning of an extensive batch of refactoring required for the improvements they want.

Where's elona/Cantha?

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

ok let me put it like this to you . best i can here go play eso and wow . and see for yourself . what it is really like to play for free and have DX11 in use fully . and play around with settings but at least try it on the max settings to really see and get the differences. that is the only way i can tell you best here. otherwise if you do not then you will not ever know what you’re really missing out on . and not fully sure if eso is free to play without buying the disks but wow is for sure. even with free accounts you get DX11

So what you like is how ESO implements DX11. That’s a fair opinion. Dx11 by itself though doesn’t do anything; just because ESO looks better with it doesn’t mean Guild Wars 2 would, not without reworking it so that it can take advantage of DX11. You can lament the fact that GW2 was not written in a way to fully leverage the technology, but there it is.

Where's elona/Cantha?

Posted by: Fenom.9457

Fenom.9457

eso added a whole continent?

Want to read about a nice mini expansion to make Mordremoth and Zhaitan better?
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Mini-Expansion-Vengeance/first#post6473305

Where's elona/Cantha?

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Without trying to compare the two games (I recently looked into supplementing my gameplay with ESO so it is hard not to do that) I find the more interesting things comparing the expansions themselves rather than the content. It is almost like they looked at HOT, saw what was done wrong, and learned what not to do.

I do not think we need to go to new continents. Just give us full-fledged areas again. Not these LS3 throwaway ones.

Where's elona/Cantha?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I play both ESO and GW2 on the same PC, with similar graphics settings and other than the art style I’m not really sure what the difference in the graphics is. Maybe if I knew more about what DX11 does I’d be able to spot the differences, but to me it just seems like they use different styles, with ESO being more realistic while GW2 looks more ‘painted’.

I do not think we need to go to new continents. Just give us full-fledged areas again. Not these LS3 throwaway ones.

What’s the difference between an “LS3 throwaway area” and a “full-fledged” area? What does a full-fledged one have that the LS3 ones don’t?

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Where's elona/Cantha?

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

ok let me put it like this to you . best i can here go play eso and wow . and see for yourself . what it is really like to play for free and have DX11 in use fully . and play around with settings but at least try it on the max settings to really see and get the differences. that is the only way i can tell you best here. otherwise if you do not then you will not ever know what you’re really missing out on . and not fully sure if eso is free to play without buying the disks but wow is for sure. even with free accounts you get DX11

So what you like is how ESO implements DX11. That’s a fair opinion. Dx11 by itself though doesn’t do anything; just because ESO looks better with it doesn’t mean Guild Wars 2 would, not without reworking it so that it can take advantage of DX11. You can lament the fact that GW2 was not written in a way to fully leverage the technology, but there it is.

O_o yeah, ok, I … I hoped that the answer wouldn’t be people who believe that the DirectX version was magical, but it was. sigh.

https://www.quora.com/What-game-engine-has-the-best-graphics-of-them-all has a useful answer from an actual developer but … if you are too lazy so didn’t read, short version is: DX9 and DX11 have relatively little to separate the graphical quality achievable between them.

What you are doing is mistaking one fact (eg: uses DX11) for the root cause of graphical differences that actually come from a wide range of places including the 3D data used in design, the lighting model, the engine, the textures, and many other things completely unrelated to DX11.

Where's elona/Cantha?

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I’m reminded of Spinal Tap’s “but this one goes up to eleven” bit.

Where's elona/Cantha?

Posted by: Mortifera.6138

Mortifera.6138

Expansion-wise, we got HoT, just earlier. It might as well have been a new continent.

Where's elona/Cantha?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Expansion-wise, we got HoT, just earlier. It might as well have been a new continent.

A new continent with 4 zones (call it 8 zones, maybe, counting vertical variations in VB and AB, although, as a player, it’s four zones to me).

Mind you, I never understand why people insist that we have to go to Cantha or Elona. There’s still large swaths of the main continent that we’ve never seen in either game.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Where's elona/Cantha?

Posted by: moonstarmac.4603

moonstarmac.4603

My guess is Elona is hiding behind Big K, which may be our target after the J-P beat down. Bubbles will probably lead us somewhere…as to that somewhere being Cantha, who knows.

Jade Council~ Jade Sea Haven [JADE]
System – Luna One: R-Matrix
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Ny4qqs

Where's elona/Cantha?

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

From what I can see, anet is planning to fill up the entire tyria map basically the map we have now. The new continent most likely be another game.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Where's elona/Cantha?

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Technically Morrowind isn’t a continent, it’s a province on the continent of Tamriel and most of it was already in ESO. What they’re getting is the island of Vvardenfell which is just off the coast of the mainland and tiny in comparison to a continent (especially when so much of it is inaccessible due to the active volcano, crazed vampire lord and assorted curses).

This is not really the salient point of the comparison, which is that zos listen to their players whereas anet don’t, anet always know best (only not).

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Where's elona/Cantha?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

From what I can see, anet is planning to fill up the entire tyria map basically the map we have now. The new continent most likely be another game.

and in 20 years time they might release 2 more expansions, how brilliant that will be, most people will have moved onto other games if they don’t put things into high gear, Anet has been sitting on their laurels for far too long

Don’t know why you think this, consider most people think the expansion is coming end of this year, beginning of next. At least most of the theorizing being done.

We know from Mo that 70 people have been working on the expansion for a long time already and probably more since that information was given.

Where's elona/Cantha?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I’m reminded of Spinal Tap’s “but this one goes up to eleven” bit.

I was thinking the same thing.

Where's elona/Cantha?

Illconceived Was Na.9781

This is not really the salient point of the comparison, which is that zos listen to their players whereas anet don’t, anet always know best (only not).

Which customers do you mean? The OP wants Elona+Cantha; I am not particularly nostalgic about either. I wouldn’t mind them, but I far prefer if we went to new areas in the world that we haven’t seen.

Further, every company “knows best” — that what makes them able to succeed in a business. There are just too many things that have to be decided by someone who can see the big picture, and not just the individual (and fickle) preferences of the fanbase. The fact that ANet doesn’t agree with some of our choices doesn’t mean that they aren’t listening — it might mean that they (a) heard us, agreed with us, and can’t figure out how to make it work with the available resources; or (b) heard us, agreed with us, and are working on it for 4+ years in the future; or (c.) heard us and agreed with other customers; or (d) heard us and disagreed.

Or in short, ANet might be listening, even if they don’t end up doing what you want.

Where's elona/Cantha?

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

There’s an Elona one too. Just because other games are doing something, doesn’t mean that this one has to. I’d prefer a brand new continent rather than Elona or Cantha. If I wanted to experience those then I can just play GW1

You realize that hundreds of years passed right??? When they adds those two places, it will be completely different than before.

Where's elona/Cantha?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

and in 20 years time they might release 2 more expansions, how brilliant that will be, most people will have moved onto other games if they don’t put things into high gear, Anet has been sitting on their laurels for far too long

Don’t know why you think this, consider most people think the expansion is coming end of this year, beginning of next. At least most of the theorizing being done.

We know from Mo that 70 people have been working on the expansion for a long time already and probably more since that information was given.

that is noting more than cheap talk you’re listening to at best . and all hear say with no proof what so ever. and i very much put doubt there be a new pack coming out the end or next year even at all. giving how the last year and half has gone . safe bet is a game that has done upgrades and improvements even if they have a sub system . as this dead horse ahh only time will be the tell of this tail

I’m not listening to cheap talk. I’m listening to people who work for the company. Let’s see, who knows more, some random guy on the forum who clearly doesn’t like the game, or the company that makes it?

I think the company, but you, that’s just my opinion.

Where's elona/Cantha?

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Which customers do you mean? The OP wants Elona+Cantha; I am not particularly nostalgic about either. I wouldn’t mind them, but I far prefer if we went to new areas in the world that we haven’t seen.

There have been many many posts calling for Elona and Cantha almost since GW2 launched.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Where's elona/Cantha?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

You realize that hundreds of years passed right??? When they adds those two places, it will be completely different than before.

Maybe. Maybe not. It still doesn’t change that I’d prefer something completely new.

Where's elona/Cantha?

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There have been many many posts calling for Elona and Cantha almost since GW2 launched.

Sure (even before launch for that matter. And also many people saying they don’t want either. (Human nature means that supporters will speak up in such posts, but those who want something else might or might not.)

So again, to which customers should ANet listen? Or should they follow the original course they set for the game, which was to explore the the Prophecies areas.

I’m not at all against Cantha or Elona. I just favor going to so many other places first.

Where's elona/Cantha?

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

You’re joking, right?

<- is getting thoroughly tired of hearing her ESO-playing husband complain about how little Z. cares about their playerbase and problems compared to ANet.

Where's elona/Cantha?

Rasimir.6239

Of the many people I have known in game, by now the vast majority doesn’t even really know what Cantha and Elona are, much less care to go there. Let’s face it, there are new people coming to this game all the time, that maybe haven’t even heard of the previous game, and the people dreaming of “going back” continuously get outnumbered.

Personally I have seen both Cantha and Elona in GW1, but would much prefer ANet to explore new territory with unlimited story possibilities. Somebody mentioned the Charr homelands up above, as well as other places in Tyria we have yet to see, that’s what I’m really looking forward to (aside from more SAB worlds of course ).

Where's elona/Cantha?

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

yeah but not everyone can or will buy gw1 to do so and i prefer to experience it through gw2.

Where's elona/Cantha?

Rasimir.6239

yeah but not everyone can or will buy gw1 to do so and i prefer to experience it through gw2.

What’s so special to you about Cantha and Elona that you need to have them in this game instead of any other part of the world we have not yet explored?

Where's elona/Cantha?

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

What’s the difference between an “LS3 throwaway area” and a “full-fledged” area? What does a full-fledged one have that the LS3 ones don’t?

People (not counting using LFG). Go to bloodstone fen sometime. Even SW was a wasteland (no pun intended) for a long time after HOT hit. The central tyria zones …. those are NEVER empty. Just compare the variety of things and plotlines in Lake Doric to, oh, Gandarran Fields.