Where's the awesome?

Where's the awesome?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Silent The Gray.3091

Silent The Gray.3091

Q:

GW2 lacks something that only someone from GW1 would be able to agree with: Awesome. I feel like the only awesome thing about this game is that you can WvW to your hearts content or play the trading post, why should I even bother with PvE if the rewards are so far out of my reach? Referencing GW1 again, if I wanted something in the game, something aesthetic, a new piece of armor, a dye color, a weapon it didn’t matter, I could farm for it. Unless you mindlessly grind champions or have a ridiculous amount of money to control the trading post, money is very hard to come by in GW2 and in my opinion always has been. You work your tail off doing dungeons each day to make a whopping 20g if you are lucky. (This can and often does equate to anywhere from 2-3 months of just dungeons, and that’s not including if you wanted to do something else in game after committing 3-4 hours to dungeons a day) for an item like a precursor. When did you guys become so stingy with something that’s not even real (in game currency)? Also, What happened to pvp? because what we have now is just … boring. Where’s alliance battles? Random Arenas? Underworld? It’s like everything in GW1 that worked and was amazing and that people loved you decided to not bring over, I can’t understand that. I think there was a calling that was truly missed with many of the features in GW1. Fractals is preached left and right, yet it will never compare to the challenge of an underworld run, or the deep. Where’s the prestige ? Doing a fractal 40 is cool, but so what? Who cares? It’s not like that feeling of accomplishment the first time you completed underworld, and then every time thereafter. Saying you completed a fractal 40 run is like saying you’ve ran a 5 mile marathon when you’ve been a marathon runner for 15 years, it’s not news to anyone, no one cares, and it’s not that rewarding after a while. On one last note:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mini_First_Mate_Horrik <—- what is the point in this? A mini pet that is account bound that you can only buy at a specific period of time, there’s no prestige in that, especially since you have to buy gems to get it, that’s the dumbest thing I have ever seen, please realize that to the real world this makes no sense and THIS is one of the reasons people don’t buy gems. I’d love the opportunity to buy those mini pets again, but you simply won’t provide me with one. I’ve seen the ones come on sale again that were part of the one week deal where you had a new mini pet each day of the week, but the other account bound minis haven’t been for sale ever again, especially the holiday ones.

Where's the awesome?

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

A:

The problem is, that GW2 give you no feeling of progression.

1. We have an item grind for ascended stuff, but these items feel fairly useless, as they are not needed outside of high end fractals. So the vertical item progression actual feels like a time sink gated by ridiculous amounts of mats hidden after a time gate.

2. The LS offered very little story over a very long time. The story is not really connected to the personal story, so it felt out of place most of the time, or even worse, just a cover up for the same old same zerg content every now and then. Where are we now at the end of LS season 1? There has been another dragon, that has been slumbering and was awoken. That’s pretty much it, after 14 monthes of LS.

3. There has been very little content added to explore. The “territorial progression” in this game is abysmal. New dungeons? New zones? Forget about talking in plural, after over 18 monthes, we have had so little non-temporary MMO essentials added for people to stay entertained, it is fairly frustrating.
Instead ANet tries to force players back into old zones with their LS. I understand that the creaters of those zones must have been sad to see all those people burn through them, but hey, it was a design decision to go with 80 levels and split up the world, so this is not the players fault.

4. Character progression since the release? What did we get? Two new healing skills per profession, one which is the same for all. And now we get one new trait per traitline. Am I the only one who thinks that this is not very GWish? If you want to look differently, you have to buy most stuff with gems. No feeling of progression, just a cash grab.

I could write more, but I think you get the picture.

(edited by Kaiyanwan.8521)

Where's the awesome?

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

The only awesome I’m missing from GW1 is the build diversity, but it seems like they’re starting to move in that direction with a slight overhaul of the trait system coming out soon.

Also Mini First Mate Horrik was never in the gem store to my knowledge, it was gained by completing achievements. I personally dislike much of what’s happened with minis in this game as compared to GW1, but they’re still fun little pets either way. I think my disappointment stems from having multiple Queen Jennahs in my bank…what’s the point? We got a random mini from birthday gifts in GW1, which was fairly awesome.

Other than that, though, I never farmed in GW1 and nor have I endlessly killed things in GW2. I worked towards goals in GW1 (getting Vabbian armor was a pain but ultimately rewarding), and goals in GW2 (getting the correct ascended trinkets for my mesmer was fairly intense through fractals, but since I enjoy fractals I did not mind much).

I do have to agree about PvP, although I dislike PvP in any game (even GW1 and GW2) I do believe that Anet missed out by bringing a lackluster sPvP mode to GW2 after their many glorious and versatile PvP modes in GW1.

Where's the awesome?

Posted by: southbeatz.2780

southbeatz.2780

1. It’s so insanely easy to get level 80 exotic gear of any stat and the increase in stat to ascended and legendary is so small that it’s not really worth it aside from running high level fractals. It is however fairly easy to make gold in this game without dungeon farming or champ farming, just try different things until you find what works. I play casually now days, often an hour here and there but never for extended periods of time yet I can easily make 10 and 20g in a couple of hours. I know 20g isn’t much when there are so many items over 500g in the TP but still. People that get over 1000g either are extremely lucky, spend real life money to obtain so much gold or possibly may not have a life outside of GW2 and farms all the time nonstop.

2. I felt LS was almost pointless in some ways. We would get new things to do but the actual new story we got would only be mere minutes of actual story while the bulk of LS content was just farming to obtain whatever was added in the update. Often the updates that came with LS updates put many of the skins in the Gem Store or with the BL merchant which meant we would very likely have to buy keys from the, again, Gem Store to eventually get new skins. Anet has to make money which I totally understand but I would prefer to get permanent and meaningful content if I am to spend money in the Gem Store.

3. I would be all for buying new skins in the Gem Store since Anet needs to make money but I want new things to do and new areas, new maps. I don’t want some bs content that can be completed in an hour or two and then 2 weeks later more bs useless meaningless content releases over and over. It’s like something changed majorly a long time ago. Southsun was great when it was first released but after the Ancient Karka event was over, that map became virtually useless aside from now killing the Karka Queen for loot.

4. The new healing skills are mostly useless. I’ve looked at them on each class and simply bought them just to have all skills unlocked but they’re inferior to the original selection of healing skills. Typically a mmo will make changes to character classes to actually improve them, to make them fresh again, to simply add to them to continue character progression but that seems to be missing in GW2.

I have fun with GW2 but how long can any of us continue to do without new, fresh and “exciting” content? Southsun was a new map, a new zone. It had limitless potential but instead it’s a pointless dead area that nobody has any real reason to go to that often aside from Karka Queen. Mobs there do drop T6 mats more frequently than Cursed Shore but that’s not enough to encourage players to go there.

Maybe if there were useful events there… Malchor’s Leap has a fair share of useful events, mainly the Temple events, Southsun could benefit from similar events that are worth spending time on. Instead of pushing out a Season 2 of useless LS, maybe Anet should start opening up the game world and giving us new maps to explore but new maps with actual things to do and things to do that are worth doing.

If Anet wants to continue using LS then maybe they should do what I believe many players would feel would be the best thing by far for LS which would be to create and release new maps, new zones for LS but make them permanent. Let’s have new LS content be on new maps, opening up more of a new map rather than just modifying already existing maps and screwing up things for people.

This could go on and on but the point is that Anet spent actual time in creating LS content and modifying existing zones for LS content when that time could have been spent in creating actual new zones for the LS content and keep those new zones in the game for everyone to enjoy. I think that is one of the main issues with LS for people is that it’s typically temporary content that lasts 2 to 4 weeks and then is removed or made useless after 2 to 4 weeks.

While we’re in between LS seasons, maybe Anet will take some time to actually see what everyone is saying and work on that and make the season 2 of LS something to keep existing players interested in the game and possibly attract new players as well.

Where's the awesome?

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

Ever tried to farm for a Polar Bear mini in Guild wars 1?

I didn’t think so.

Where's the awesome?

Silent The Gray.3091

Ever tried to farm for a Polar Bear mini in Guild wars 1?

I didn’t think so.

Actually I did polar bear farm, but in GW1 you also had the ability for things like solo farming which anet has clearly stated they are against in this game, but zerging/mobbing is somehow better. Raptor Farming, Vaettir’s, Chest running, sure they were boring and mundane, but there was something sweet and rewarding about them that this just doesn’t offer, maybe it’s because the items you got had more than the equivalent of a 1 copper value, like I said earlier, I think they are just super stingy with the in-game currency, especially comparing things to what you could do in GW1. I just feel like as the game goes on it becomes more and more difficult to make money as everything keeps getting super inflated.

Where's the awesome?

Posted by: Hylgeriak.8250

Hylgeriak.8250

Hey matey, small hint: I’ve been to GW1 yesterday to check for new birthday presents…and guess what: GW1 is still out there! So if you love it so much…feel free to go :-) Kamadan is still – to my own surprise – crowded like in old days! (though mostly just trading stuff to get their HoM filled for GW2 achievements)

Kyrgyz Manas – Gandara[EU]

Where's the awesome?

Silent The Gray.3091

Hey matey, small hint: I’ve been to GW1 yesterday to check for new birthday presents…and guess what: GW1 is still out there! So if you love it so much…feel free to go :-) Kamadan is still – to my own surprise – crowded like in old days! (though mostly just trading stuff to get their HoM filled for GW2 achievements)

It’s funny how you can be so ignorant, it’s not GW1 i’m after otherwise I’d be playing it.

Where's the awesome?

Posted by: Risa Aerulight.3914

Risa Aerulight.3914

I found a point to the minis: Polymock. However that doesn’t solve your concern about not having a second chance to aquire it. Maybe when Polymock is ready to be introduced they will have a mini blitz sale for a short time in celebration?

Where's the awesome?

Posted by: Pawstruck.9708

Pawstruck.9708

So what was your plan? After having played the game for yourself, you’ve come here to, what, get fans to try and talk you into loving it?

Where's the awesome?

Posted by: Zahld.4956

Zahld.4956

Would gw1 fans be happy if gw1 was upgraded to many of the gw2 things…like jumping + jps, wvw, persistent areas, some DEs, new quest system, ..and whatever?