Which Zone design is your favorite?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sad Swordfish.9743

Sad Swordfish.9743

In our guild chat yesterday we had a heated discussion about peoples favorite (and least favorite zones) in the game and it turned out to be very diverse as to what people liked.

People had strong feelings about Silverwaste, and seemed either upset or happy that the HoT zones will work in similar fashion.
Some people in our guild love that everything you do in the zone leads up to a big meta event, while others found it boring citing that the randomness of the more classic zones in the game that has more rare events popping up.

I’m on the fence because I think every zone should have long term goals like trying to unlock armor set. Silverwaste lets you unlock both a normal (Carapace) and a pimped out version (Luminescent). If every zone had a armor / pimped armor associated (or rather 3 armors. Light, Medium, Heavy) I think many zones like Timberlane Falls and Lonars Pass would have a lot more action. That would be really cool. But 25 zones x3 armors is a lot of new armors.

What sort of zone design do you prefer and why?

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

There is an assumption that HoT will be only like the silverwastes. This is made cause of observations during the stresstest and the beta. But the meta went away when you wouldt approach the western border of the part of the map accesable. To me this is a sign that it is only limited to that part of the map. With 3 layers of maps, that is less then 15% off the entire map. So I think it is a wrong assumption that it will be the same as the silverwastes.

What I expect and hope is a diverse zone where the different layers are providing different interests. The silverwastes is nice, but too one dimensional. The maze and the jumping puzzle where great additions there, but not for long term entertainement.

I would like to see a jumpingpuzzle mark 2. The silverwastes one is a good start, but with kites and mushrooms you got so much more potential. Also the teleports (skrittholes) could be used to make the puzzle actually change everyday. This can be done by replacing the coins with the skrittholes (or something simular that teleports you). the place it teleports to is changed everyday and the puzzle should have atleast 100 different routes, depending on the setup of the holes. That way everyday you got a new challenge to find the price at the end.

So I hope and am possitive that the Silverwastes was a good experiment to take the content in HoT to the next level. how exactly?? I don’t know, but I’m hopefull it is diverse and multi-dimensional both in space and time!

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

It would be hard for me to actually pick a zone because there are many I like for differing reasons.

If it comes to just plain aesthetics then I think Timberline Falls is one of the most beautiful zones. For underwater beauty nothing beats Frostgorge Sound IMO.

I really like the experiments that Dry Top and Silverwastes represent. Not because they are the most amazing zones, but because they are different than all the others.

There are some zones I really don’t care for such as all of Orr. One of these things is just like the other. 95% zombies and 95% same kind of content. I get why they had the zombies running around, but 1. they are all the same. and 2. None of them resemble or are named after their GW1 counterparts. Lame.

So I can definitely see why everyone has differing views on the best zone. Tastes are as different as people themselves. We all like different art and activities. So you will probably never get a general consensus on any one zone.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I think I like ascalon the most, after that kryta and the norn area. Not that I dont like the sylvari or the asura but I am not there that often.
Least of all places is the ugly orr, I almost never go there.

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

I quite enjoy the looks and music of Dry Top and (to a lesser extent) the Silverwastes. I dislike the events there though, especially in the Silverwastes. The area is just one big zone where you run around and kill enemies in a big group. There is very little in the way of exploration, lore and diversity of activities. Southun cove is the opposite end of the spectrum for me. It is a nice looking place which is fun to explore but there is just no point in being there, no goal or anything (I also hate the fact that it is not connected to surrounding zones, maybe one day..).

If you have to have a map with a single meta event on which pretty much everything is focused I strongly think that the Straits of Devastation is far superior. Although I am also somewhat partial to the Harathi Hinterlands for the same reason. In the end I think I enjoy Plains of Ashford and Queensdale the most though.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I like more flat areas where you don’t always have to walk 50 miles to get to a point
that is only 5 meters away on the map. I also like to see for a wide distance.
So i prefer mostly the Shiverpeaks zones like Frostgorge, Wayfarer Foothills,
Timberline Falls and Dredgehaunt Cliffs

Also those silvari / asura jungle zones are the exact opposite, and i dislike them
the most. And sadly HoT seems to be full of that stuff .. just zones that are a
total nightmare to navigate,

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Batelle.1680

Batelle.1680

I really like the Silverwastes, and the meta events work perfectly for my play style (I love doing pre-events for world bosses, simply because it feels more organic than “show up and press 1 for three minutes until loot falls out”. The fights themselves are kind of repetitive, but I think the area itself is gorgeous. Dry Top is, too, and I enjoy the music in both places. I just wish Dry Top was a skosh easier to navigate.

For base game zones, it’s hard to choose one. Plains of Ashford, Diessa Plateau, and Blazeridge Steppes all have their charm. I kind of love how they handle the transitions between the different micro-environments (like normal and haunted, or normal and branded).

Posted by: MeGaZlo.9516

MeGaZlo.9516

Lornar’s Pass. It fascinates from all sides.
But if we talk about the gameplay – Silverwastes pleases us by great synergy and mutual integration of elements.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

As someone who gets to things at my own pace, I dislike the DT/SW zone models. ANet seems to be adopting a content model based on requiring lots of players to complete objectives. When a lot of people are moving on to the next area (e.g., after they’ve gotten the current hot gewgaw), the zone becomes a wasteland with no hope to complete it. This can be seen sometimes in DT now. This is a phenomenon that is similar to what one sees in other MMO’s with dungeon/raid content — the older hotness is abandoned in favor of the new hotness.

Thus, I tend to prefer the older-style zone models with limited mass events.

Yes, I know that this phenomenon is the result of the interaction between ANet’s game design philosophy and the MMO design structure which uses stuff to foster repetition. Unfortunately, while GW2 set out to change MMO’s, it seems more to me that the MMO consumer base is changing GW2.

My 2 coppers.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

As someone who gets to things at my own pace, I dislike the DT/SW zone models. ANet seems to be adopting a content model based on requiring lots of players to complete objectives. When a lot of people are moving on to the next area (e.g., after they’ve gotten the current hot gewgaw), the zone becomes a wasteland with no hope to complete it. This can be seen sometimes in DT now. This is a phenomenon that is similar to what one sees in other MMO’s with dungeon/raid content — the older hotness is abandoned in favor of the new hotness.

Also that game design leads to something that ANet normally wants to avoid :
more toxic behaviour

Normally people don’t care much about how others play in the open world, that
makes it such a nice community there .. however in silverwaste where events more
often fail people also tend to make other players responsible for that because they
are “bad players” or whatever.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I agree with the synergy of SW. I found Dry Top messy in comparison.

Frostgorge is perhaps my favourite Vanilla zone for variety and visuals combined.

Southson is the most underrated and unfulfilled in terms of potential. I would like to see it get the same treatment as a core zone or SW to bring it back into the fold.

Posted by: MrWubzy.3587

MrWubzy.3587

My favorite in terms of aesthetics and looks is hands down Metrica Province. Lots of mixing of jungle flora and fauna along with beautiful geometric buildings and designs that all flow very well together.

In terms of mechanics it’s a tie between Silverwastes and Dry Top. While I love Dry Top’s favor mechanic, I just find the map a pain to traverse when I’m just there to have fun; for Silverwastes I’m not a fan of the constant same-y events, but the map is structured beautifully in favor of said events, so I’m down with that.

I’d like to see a map that combines Dry Top and Silverwastes with the design and mechanics.

| Biyx [Guardian] ; Aika Vonelli [Ranger] |
| Proud roleplayer! |
| Biyx’s All-For-Nothing Challenge |

Posted by: Keino.3091

Keino.3091

First time posting on the forums, and I just wanted to say my 2 cents in hopes that ANet will see this.

You have a lot of potential with HoT. I got excited when you mentioned how players can glide through the canopy to find new areas of a map. But, IMO, to keep the zone interesting, don’t just make another Silverwaste map, and don’t make it a pointless wasteland (although beautiful) like Southsun. Instead…

Add a thrilling, adrenaline rush, plinko-style, trolly-ride with the gliding system.

Essentially, add minigames, like Mario party. Add glider races as separate instances, like the wintersday games. I’m talking some crazy F-Zero level speed racing through the air. Let there be obstacles and different paths that, at the end, either lead to death or loot. Throw some power-ups in the air so I can speed up or slow down others. I don’t want to just spam 1 anymore. I don’t want to be able to hold a sandwich while playing this content (Which I can do with most GW2 content).

I don’t care how it is done or what it is that you guys do, just change up the same button-mashing, loot-farming bull that we all have…in abundance.

Posted by: Greyhound.2058

Greyhound.2058

First time posting on the forums, and I just wanted to say my 2 cents in hopes that ANet will see this.

You have a lot of potential with HoT. I got excited when you mentioned how players can glide through the canopy to find new areas of a map. But, IMO, to keep the zone interesting, don’t just make another Silverwaste map, and don’t make it a pointless wasteland (although beautiful) like Southsun. Instead…

Add a thrilling, adrenaline rush, plinko-style, trolly-ride with the gliding system.

Essentially, add minigames, like Mario party. Add glider races as separate instances, like the wintersday games. I’m talking some crazy F-Zero level speed racing through the air. Let there be obstacles and different paths that, at the end, either lead to death or loot. Throw some power-ups in the air so I can speed up or slow down others.

Totally this ^^^ More FUN!!

I don’t want to be able to hold a sandwich while playing this content

…that made me lol…why does Karka Queen always spawn the instant I sit down with a sammich? XD

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

Honestly, I love the whole vibe Orr gives off, just wish it was better designed. Take the Balthazar temple fight for example. That fight is epic! All the risen minions, and everything are just so much fun to fight. Heck even the dreaded subjugated, just a couple of those at champ level will will wipe even the biggest party. The only thing I hate is having to protect the npcs so much. They’re so squishy and will often wander right into the enemy risen. If it was instead based on how many players were alive instead of those npcs it’d be perfect.

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

Labyrinthine Cliffs is my favorite. it brought me back into the game from a 6+ month hiatus and I spent nearly the entire time it was available there.

of the current maps though, caledon forest always holds a special place in my heart

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

Posted by: MegumiAzusa.2918

MegumiAzusa.2918

World 1 Zone 3 for me. It’s just awesome, too bad it’s not accessible right now.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I am fond of Orr.

I love the idea of exploring the desolation of a lost civilization in a blighted region where life itself is unwelcome and heroes seeking to reclaim the land for the living face seemingly insurmountable odds.

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

Orr the best! Aside from that, toss up between Ascalon and Shiverpeaks. At the very bottom of the list…Maguuma. Kryta I like parts (Harathi Hinterlands) but not big on Queensdale.

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Labyrinthine Cliffs is my favorite.

I forgot about that one! Yeah it’s high up on my list due to the looks, music and layout. Although, like Southsun, there’s too little reason to be there.

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

Two of my favorite places in the game is Ascalon Settlement and Ebonhawke,

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Lion’s Arch. Well, the new Lion’s Arch.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Anet did a fantastic job with both DR and LA in my opinion. I would dearly love to see some urban adventures in these locations.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

more toxic behaviour

makes it such a nice community there .. however in silverwaste where events more
often fail people also tend to make other players responsible for that because they

I attribute that to ANet’s desire to cater to those asking for more challenging content. I don’t see that at many of the old world bosses.

So:

• Players ask for harder content
  • ANet makes harder content and puts it in the persistent world where anyone can show up
  • “Hard” generally means “possible to fail.”
  • Not surprisingly, “anyone” does show up
  • Sometimes events fail
  • No one says, “Oh, this is harder and we asked for harder, so we failed this time.”
  • Instead, they say, “We failed and didn’t get our stuff!”
  • Then it’s, “I blame <insert scapegoat>.”

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Anet did a fantastic job with both DR and LA in my opinion. I would dearly love to see some urban adventures in these locations.

In fact, I loved all capitals except Hoelbrak. DR is indeed a holy-mother-of-kittens outstanding city.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

oh you tease… pics or didnt happen >_>

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Mount Maelstrom.

Posted by: Genlog.4983

Genlog.4983

i love everything from the Norn the snow the mountains the pll

and second is EOTM that area looks amazing dunno who made it but i love it
all to the top of 1 of those towers and you have a amazing few

Posted by: CrimsonDX.4821

CrimsonDX.4821

I love the more evil looking areas: Orr, the Brand, Flame Legion places. I really hope we get some areas that look like DoA from GW1.

Posted by: vanensang.1389

vanensang.1389

Timberline Falls all the way!

Kodash [DE]
Avallora Erasleigh // e
Tara Airgetlám // m

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

I love the atmosphere of Frostgorge Sound, with its wide open, frozen vistas. It also has some beautiful underwater areas.

Mount Maelstrom is epic with the volcano, jungle, and Infinite Coil Reactor.

I love the transition of Timberline Falls from snowy mountain down green foothills.

The canyons of Drytop are beautiful receding into the distance, and the oasis was wonderful to encounter the first time.

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

I can tell you what me least favorite zone is and that is Dry top. Simple because it is a whole lot of ducking around d to get from 1 point to the next. You see an event marker and start running g towards it just to realise that you have to go up and around in the opposite direction. By the time you get there the event is over I found d so frustrating that I didn’t even bother learning it and avoid it all together. I’m kind of weary about HoT after hearing that the map will be on multiple levels. I just hope it’s not a pain in the kitten to navigate like dry top.

As far as zones that I like, most of Shiverpeaks simple cause of the views, Fireheart Rise and Mount Maelstrom. Bloodtide Coast also has it’s charms.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

(edited by Julie Yann.5379)

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

I love the more evil looking areas: Orr, the Brand, Flame Legion places. I really hope we get some areas that look like DoA from GW1.

Huh. I find Fireheart Rise to be one of my least favorite places in the game. All the burnt and smoking becomes monotonous after any length of time. I try to get in and out of that zone as quickly as possible.

The concept art is great, but the zone doesn’t read as dramatic as that to me. It comes across as dusty and drab, which is pretty realistic for a burnt area, but not very exciting. I keep wondering how a group of Charr, no matter how much they love fire, manage to exist in such an area.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

This, I mean there are other great ones, but Timberline falls hands down the best.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

This, I mean there are other great ones, but Timberline falls hands down the best.

One more than one occasion, I’ve said to myself “This is some nice territory.” It’s a delightful zone to be in.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: hailsatan.2865

hailsatan.2865

How about each zone having a personal level of influence towards your character that is boosted by doing events, quests hunting etc. within the area. The influence level would also decay when you have not done anything within that particular zone meaning the natives of that land will slowly forget your deeds and not praise you as much until you begin gaining more influence.

Rewards:
Once you reach certain milestones in the influence level you will unlock merchants or different tiers within a merchants window(similar to the levels in dry top merchants).
Other Ideas:
- New titles could be achieved
- Bonus Chests
- Access to racial armors of other races
- Once 100% influence for the zone is reached and maintained for X amount of time a title would be awarded and also one laurel by visiting the leader in the capital city.

Maybe something like this should’ve been created instead of karma points?

Once you have reached certain level of influence the npc’s in nearby villages and towns will walk up to you speaking new lines claiming you as a hero or champion. I remember the npc’s in the Fable games doing this and it was pretty awesome.

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

Timberline Falls had one of the more varied designs of terrain and content but it all came together seamlessly and was just visually pleasing. I like the overall design of Silver wastes and Dry top as far as looks and mechanics but I would love to have the sand storm over dunes look of Drytop with the Silverwastes event chain since I think SW has been the most naturally social map I’ve played in most games.

Kash
NSP

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

I attribute that to ANet’s desire to cater to those asking for more challenging content. I don’t see that at many of the old world bosses.

So:

• ANet makes harder content and puts it in the persistent world where anyone can show up
  • Sometimes events fail
  • No one says, “Oh, this is harder and we asked for harder, so we failed this time.”

So, how much of that happened with the change of Tequatl and adding the three-headed wurm? Players still fail both.

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

Kessex, hands down. It’s really fun to just walk around there, and i’m still discovering stuff every time I go back. I like to look for enter-able houses for RP purposes and find them in the strangest places.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

Even though I have to say I love the game and area design, I don’t have a favorite one, many of them look pretty much the same, with exceptions like ascalon, orr, and a few others.
Most of the areas have some fields, some forests, some coast, and some swamp, and they kind of look like eachother a bit. I wish there were a bit more unique in that aspect.
My favorite area would probably be either Ascalon ruins or Orr. I like creepy places. (I’d love for this game to have more creepy looking places, like dark misty woods, graveyards, abandoned creepy towns, etc.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Seems there is more than one meaning for “design”.

I think overall I prefer Malchor’s leap for mechanics design. Not just one big event that everyone is eventually channeled to like Silverwastes currently is. However if they are going to do this hybrid of raid content in the main world, I guess it works.

As far as “design” goes for the modeling, texturing, lighting, etc. for a zone, I would have to place the Dry Top oasis area at the top of my list. That section, and the canyon to the east of it are so realistic and beautiful. It’s one of my favorite places in the game.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Can´t believe I´m the only one with a soft spot for Queensdale! O_o

Partly because it´s at the foot of mighty DR and also because it was my first glimpse of this game in videos, back before launch.
The overall art design is great and the events also are good. I almost miss the days of the Queensdale champ-train.

Polish > hype

(edited by HawkMeister.4758)

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

Caledon Forest.

4 Jumping Puzzles
2 Mini Dungeon/Puzzles
1 Hidden unfinished jumping puzzle that you can get into and explore if you know how

such explore. wow. much hidden.

Posted by: zengara.8301

zengara.8301

more toxic behaviour

So:

• Sometimes events fail

Sorry, but harder means require more endurance, great effort on your part or difficult to resolve/finish…….Soloing lupi is hard (when lupi got harder people got mad, because there are professions now that simply can not do it, but people with professions who can, got happy since phase 2 is not standing still and waiting for 2 attacks), GvG can be hard (depending on guilds, and tactics like thief/mesmer hunting backline).

Doing the same process over and over is known as grinding, the possibility to fail does not change that, not even in the urban dictionary does something being hard somehow equal the possibility of losing or starting over….

What everyone wants is it being harder as it is described in the urban dictionary, as Collin told us, that should be very possible in the expansion, so happy for that, I just do not like it when people use 1 word that means something else entirely and transfer it to something else.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Can´t believe I´m the only one with a soft spot for Queensdale! O_o

Partly because it´s at the foot of mighty DR and also because it was my first glimpse of this game in videos, back before launch.
The overall art design is great and the events also are good. I almost miss the days of the Queensdale champ-train.

Oh I totally agree with you! I love Queensdale for its look and feel and for its music, too.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

1) Zephyr Sanctum (bazaar of the 4 winds)……..since i like both Jps and the elemental aspects, this was amazingly fun to play. beautiful to look at. sanctum sprint is the best mini game.

2) Lions Arch-right after the destruction and before the attempted reconstruction………oddly beautiful, strangely empty….and so cool and fun to explore.

3)Mount Maelstrom – favorite vanilla map by far….awesome and diverse scenery that’s fun to explore…access to the best JP…..2 World bosses (Golem is actually fun if you melee/mid-range it)…solid loot (probably the highest lvl map you can still get linen from bags)

4) Malchors Leap – favorite Orr map…..has my two favorite temple event chains….great for mob loot and easy access to good nodes….most easy to traverse w/o being bogged down by annoying mob CC.

5) Dry top – favorite of the LS2 maps….dig the reward mechanic and sandstorms are immersive…the zone fun to play as i love the use of elemental aspects to traverse the zone. really diverse events and achievements.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

1) Zephyr Sanctum (bazaar of the 4 winds)……..since i like both Jps and the elemental aspects, this was amazingly fun to play. beautiful to look at. sanctum sprint is the best mini game.

Oh man. I didn’t even consider Zephyr Sanctum for my answer. Wasn’t thinking about a place that we no longer have access to. But yeah, that place is great. The whole thing was one big jumping puzzle treasure hunt.

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

Rata Sum and Metrica.

These are the places I like more in gw2.
The asura architecture inspires me a lot. I would like to see it grow! Live! Is inspired by everything that we discovered. (As Jotun Observatory). Or even, hanging gardens puzzle in city!

I dream of visiting the dormitories, baths, libraries and potential asuras or apartments.

I really Regrete that the asuras are not more detailed in their lifestyle.

# Asura because I’m worth it!

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

One more than one occasion, I’ve said to myself “This is some nice territory.” It’s a delightful zone to be in.

Absolutely agree- Timberline Falls and Lornar’s Pass are two areas that get completed very quickly on new alts!

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

if they get the Map designer from Timberline Falls, and team them up with the mechanics designer of Silverwastes…..epicness would ensue.

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]