Which condition class right now?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: JESPER.5610

JESPER.5610

Not sure if I picked a right subforum.
Want to move from warr/guard to condition profession.
So here’s the question, at the moment necromancer and engineer are abit behind in devs decisions, this is what most people say.
But what should I pick then, for wvw and pve ofc.
Thanks in advance.

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

Go for what ever class everyone else seems to be complaining about and desperately wants to be nerfed. It seems to be Thief at the moment.

(edited by Elbegast.6970)

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

He said Condition class and you tell him Thief…
Lol.
In general Necro and Engi are top dogs for conditions. Engineer is harder to play.
Either way in PvE conditions are a questionably decision.

The great forum duppy.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Go for what ever class everyone else seems to be complaining about and desperately wants to be nerfed. It seems to be Thief at the moment.

That has nothing to do with conditions or even the general subject of power level. In it’s current state the thief is able to place their opponent in zero-counterplay situations at will, as the only counter to stealth is controlled by the thief himself, and they will never be enjoyable to play against so long as that is true, and people are fully within their rights to complain about anything designed to make the game unenjoyable.

But getting back on topic. I’ve been playing a condition Ele since day one. I usually go with a SD build that maxes out bleed duration then focuses on general condition damage and duration, and given the choice between armor or power I usually go with armor, but only because I think it’s more fun both stat allocations are viable.

Fire and earth are your main attunements, air is pretty much just good for an extra dodge unless you really need to kite, and water has your ‘oh kitten’ buttons. I go with a full suite of Glyphs (now that we have a CC breaker mixed in there) but sigils are viable too if you want to go the auramancer route, cantrips work too, conjurations are fun… but not really very good. However IF you trait for it the Axe and GS can deal pretty good condition/power damage if you go the power route. It works virtually the same if you want to go DD or even DF, but I do not recommend SF.

It’s not great for every mob (no build is really) but it’s a lot of fun and particularly excels at soloing tougher mobs.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

Engineer. Necromancers are very lackluster in bigger conflicts since they lack meaningful damage mitigation. Shroud only works in smaller fights so while they excel at SPvP they fall behind when it comes to the rest of the game.

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

He said Condition class and you tell him Thief…
Lol.
In general Necro and Engi are top dogs for conditions. Engineer is harder to play.
Either way in PvE conditions are a questionably decision.

DD thief DB spam and P/D thief are both condi builds. Both work well but are limited in the conditions they can apply by default.

For PvE that is mostly true. Playing HgH engineer in most cases due to the might stacks and vulnerability your direct damage won’t be as lack luster as other condi builds.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

Elbegast.6970

That has nothing to do with conditions or even the general subject of power level. In it’s current state the thief is able to place their opponent in zero-counterplay situations at will, as the only counter to stealth is controlled by the thief himself, and they will never be enjoyable to play against so long as that is true, and people are fully within their rights to complain about anything designed to make the game unenjoyable.

I play a Thief. I find it to be quite enjoyable. You don’t even need stealth to annoy people. With a short bow, you are much like ‘Nightcrawler’ from X-Men, porting instantly, here and there. It’s even more amusing when they think they can run away from you, simply because you are walking rather than running. I like to pop up next to them, strolling and waving, a couple of times before freezin’ em up with my basalisk venom and sending them to cold dark fires from whence they came.

Conncept.7638

You don’t even need stealth to annoy people.

A wonderful example of the largest problem of all, the caliber of players this class attracts to the game in the first place.

Elbegast.6970

A wonderful example of the largest problem of all, the caliber of players this class attracts to the game in the first place.

Well, I give them a chance. I do like to be sporting about it. Good players destroy me. I haven’t seen many of those lately.

Conncept.7638

Well, I give them a chance. I do like to be sporting about it. Good players destroy me. I haven’t seen many of those lately.

Your purpose is to do as easily as possible what other players actually have to put forth effort for and risk the consequences of a reasonable margin of error to do, that is neither ‘sporting’ nor is there is any excuse.

Anyway, thieves are not the topic of this thread.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Kronus.6048

Kronus.6048

engineer says hi. Toolkit magnet is such a delight when people try to run

Elbegast.6970

engineer says hi. Toolkit magnet is such a delight when people try to run

Elbegast points over your shoulder and proclaims…
“Oh look, there’s a Necromancer attacking your Supply Dolyak!”
POOF!
Elbegast Vanishes…

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

could always do a perplexity warrior

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: crestpiemangler.7631

crestpiemangler.7631

Try both out in SPvP, even if you don’t care for it, because it will give you an idea of what it’s going to be like before you do the grind to 80. (Not trying to insult you, but as a suggestion)

I personally prefer Necro over everything else for conditions. When it comes to AoE conditions that are not easily avoided (hard to beat instacast AoE torment as well as epidemic), Necro is your profession.

For raw condition damage from >= 900 range, Necro excels as well without any positional requirements.

Like others have stated, Necros are not very survivable due to innately low armor, a complete lack of vigor and the extreme nerf to DS. It is, however, satisfying to fear lock opponents and have at least two default interrupts/ccs. It is also a lot easier to play than the engineer.

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

Like others have stated, Necros are not very survivable due to innately low armor, a complete lack of vigor and the extreme nerf to DS. It is, however, satisfying to fear lock opponents and have at least two default interrupts/ccs. It is also a lot easier to play than the engineer.

Like others have stated, Necros are not very survivable due to innately low armor, a complete lack of vigor and the extreme nerf to DS.

Like others have stated, Necros are not very survivable

Necros are not very survivable

Attachments:

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

Posted by: arKRazor.8654

arKRazor.8654

Like others have stated, Necros are not very survivable due to innately low armor, a complete lack of vigor and the extreme nerf to DS.

Like others have stated, Necros are not very survivable

Necros are not very survivable

My friend would beg to differ – note the blue name in the middle of that kitten-storm. He stayed in there wreaking havoc for a significant amount of time and escaped to rejoin our front line.

Attachments:

Halfpint Sapper – Poorly-traited Asuran Engineer/CatHound/Part-time Warbanner

Devona’s Rest [OHai][GloB]

Posted by: crestpiemangler.7631

crestpiemangler.7631

My friend would beg to differ – note the blue name in the middle of that kitten-storm. He stayed in there wreaking havoc for a significant amount of time and escaped to rejoin our front line.

I’ve done the same. WvW is a disorganized chaos as it is…

All it takes is one person to interrupt transfer, or one invisible AoE, or one fear from an enemy necro and you’re nothing but jello.

If you think a necro is survivable as a engineer, you’ve never seen a good engineer, not to mention that engineers have a condition immunity trait (although necros get that lovely removal/healing) .

Try to kill an engineer with the aforementioned alone as a condition spec necro and you will see what true survivability is.

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

I main a Necro and we’re tougher than people have led you to believe so far. Death Shroud is never to be underestimated – it’s saved my skin more than I can count, and with the new condition, Torment, it’s brilliant for dealing out damage to multiple mobs as opposed to just one.

Pretty much anything a Necro does is condition oriented – staff skills are all AOE (except 1) condition damage skills, and you can trait so that these are unblockable and also so they have a huge radius.

You don’t have a lot of toughness as a Necro, true (though you have one of the highest health pools available), but Death Shroud covers most of that – certainly enough time for you to get out of dodge if everything goes south.

What you don’t have, that you might miss, is much in the way of support. So if you’re a group player then you may struggle to bring much to the team in that sense. Also DPS never gets that high outside of Death Shroud, so they’re not the most popular class for dungeons.

Aside from those two factors, Necro is great! I also have an engineer and they are good, but for me, only get interesting once you’re past level 30 at least. They are more complex to play after that, and so if depth is what you’re really after, then go for the Engineer. But you honestly can’t go far wrong with either.

Posted by: arKRazor.8654

arKRazor.8654

I’ve done the same. WvW is a disorganized chaos as it is…

All it takes is one person to interrupt transfer, or one invisible AoE, or one fear from an enemy necro and you’re nothing but jello.

If you think a necro is survivable as a engineer, you’ve never seen a good engineer, not to mention that engineers have a condition immunity trait (although necros get that lovely removal/healing) .

Try to kill an engineer with the aforementioned alone as a condition spec necro and you will see what true survivability is.

Not arguing about which class has the best potential tank, just pointing out that necro can be played with tank/escapes and still be effective.

To fair though, mileage with any character in wvw will vary greatly based on your competition.

Halfpint Sapper – Poorly-traited Asuran Engineer/CatHound/Part-time Warbanner

Devona’s Rest [OHai][GloB]