Which is more fun, elementalist or mesmer?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ofLegends.9853

ofLegends.9853

I know, I know, “fun is subjective”. I just want people’s opinions on which profession they feel is the most fun. I have this OCD thing about having too many characters, and honestly it’s going to suck to get 1 to cap only to wish I’d played the other instead, and would feel too much like a waste to delete it.

Anyway, I plan on being sylvari with it, and I just want to know (animations and spell-wise), do YOU find elementalist to be the most fun, or mesmer??

— Former engi main | Bring back my Power Rifle Grenadier!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0OWwwqPxDI

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Two of my favourites, slightly very very slightly more fun on my mesmer.

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

Depends honestly. I prefer ele overall, but Mesmer is interesting in its playstyle. I like Mesmer because I use almost every weapon set, but my ele because I feel more destructive and I just like using a staff and magic sometimes

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Both are my favorite classes to play currently. Mesmer more in PvP and Ele more in PvE.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: Melanie.1240

Melanie.1240

In my opinion Ele for PvE and WvW but probably Mesmer for PvP (although I never tried it on my Mesmer).

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

For me it’s ele all the way. If you like movement oriented gameplay, you’ll be running, flying and rolling all over the place.

Mesmer I’m having trouble getting into. I feel like every weapon has about 2-3 skills which are almost entirely useless in PvE, so I’m basically working around cooldowns a lot.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Personally I love Mesmer ankitten ot much of a fan of Elementalist. Of course this is my opinion and others likely think the exact opposite.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

I like mesmer, ele, ranger, guardian, in that order. You can tell what I like by the number of characters I have – one of each profession plus 2 extra mesmers.

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

both are pretty fun. ele requires a pretty active playstyle no matter the build/game mode, while mesmer can be successful active (shatter or mantra) or passive (PU condi or phanstasm).

sadly, mesmer has a ton of bugs that detract from the fun, so i’d personally give the edge to ele.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

I like elementalist a lot.

Switching between the attunements feels very fluid and can be fun to learn.

(edited by Prophet.6257)

Posted by: Oxstar.7643

Oxstar.7643

Up to you. I find both classes to crutch based and unflexible.

Posted by: Oxstar.7643

Oxstar.7643

Up to you. I find both classes too crutch based and unflexible.

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Elementalist is currently a lot stronger in PvE and PvP than a Mesmer is because mesmers struggle a lot with conditions.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Mesmer is by far my favorite to play, and Elementalist my least favorite. That could be because I had an Ele at launch and was clueless enough about game mechanics in general to be super squishy, or because I went with staff when dagger/dagger is more exciting … regardless, I have 1 Ele and 3 Mesmers at 80, with 2 of the Mesmers RP’d quite a bit.

I’m not a twitch reflex player, never have been, so I prefer the complexity level of the Mesmer. Note: I do PvE nigh exclusively, with only toe-dips into WvW and no sPvP ever. That said, I know the mesmers in my guild were living through Subject Alpha without a single death while the rest of us wiped out repeatedly back at the beginning when no one knew about stacking or the lack of need to dodge out of his red rings … I’m always glad when there’s a mesmer in my dungeon run (my dungeon main is my support guardian).

Posted by: Acrisor.8097

Acrisor.8097

In my opinion all professions are fun, because the game itself is designed for entertainment and fun.
As a personal note, do not use mesmer and elementalist for sPvP. These professions were the least played in Tournament of Legends 1; so right now these are probably the worst professions to choose for sPvP (but this is just my humble opinion).

Posted by: dekou.6012

dekou.6012

Elementalist. Both are fun, but Mesmer is way too buggy and it looks like those bugs won’t be fixed anytime soon.

Posted by: Soinetwa.5193

Soinetwa.5193

easy and higher dps ele
though there is quite an high skillcap for him

more fun id say mesmer with sigill of energy (dodge on weapon swap) and clones at position you dodged from
mesmer also quite high skillcap.. higher than eles id say… but meh…

if you are completely new to the game and you want one of those two id suggest you the ele same would go for if u want to do dungeon speedclears.. there eles are reeeeeaaallly important

well… its your choice

Posted by: FerrenoNL.7928

FerrenoNL.7928

Mesmer for me. They seem to be in high demand due to Feedback and group wide condition-cleaning. An Elementalist has better DPS though from my understanding.

Elementalist is currently a lot stronger in PvE and PvP than a Mesmer is because mesmers struggle a lot with conditions.

Trait your heal for it + Mantra of Resolve + Nullfield incase your expecting heavy conditions. You’ll not only be cleaning yourself with the last two, but your entire party. :-)

Were you to look just at fun, not caring about being wanted in parties, a skill cap or whatever, then I’d say Elementalist.

(edited by FerrenoNL.7928)

Posted by: Eravyn.7483

Eravyn.7483

Ele moves around a lot if you use the right weapons. Daggers, I think, have you all over the place. They do make you feel powerful, but unless you build them just right, they tend to be pretty squishy. (Have a level 80 ele, but it was one of my first maxed out characters, so a lot has probably changed.)

Mesmers can be pretty squishy at times too, but I think they’re much easier to solo with. Since you can build up tons of clones of yourself, you basically build your own line of defense. They can use more weapons, but they don’t really move much from skills alone.

I personally prefer mesmer since I solo most of the time and needed to be able to defend myself better. Also I love purple, and once I saw that hovering greatsword as the main attack, I couldn’t resist.

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Ele is a lot more fun imo. It’s a lot more engaging and fast-paced. Mesmer has moments of sitting there waiting for something. Either to summon something, shatter something, interrupt something, etc. I love mesmer, but I’m just saying ele feels way more in-your-face action.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Yea, they’re both fun, but in general, I’d say that if you prefer sneaky tactics, go Mesmer. If you prefer juggling of multiple abilities to adapt to a situation and utilize combo fields, go Ele.

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

Ele by far for me – I just find them more fun while with mesmer it seems routine

Posted by: Linnea.5146

Linnea.5146

I love them both for their differences. My dual dagger ele is a lot of fun because it’s fast-paced, dangerous (melee light armor with relatively low health) and having four elements at your command is plain cool. Solo might stacking is really useful, and traiting gives you quite a few options for your individual playstyle. Staff is a bit boring, but it’s useful in groups and zergs.

My mesmer is fun for the manipulation options that the class has, such as feedback, portals, clones, condition/boon transfer etc., and it just feels like a stylish class overall. I love popping a feedback at the right moment on sniper type NPCs. It’s just too bad that the game rarely needs all the finesses a mesmer has to offer, often a high enough dps does at least an equally good job.

Both classes can be tricky, and it took be a bit of time to find the perfect weapon set for me. Youtube is your friend here!

(edited by Linnea.5146)

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

elementalist
i do not recommend playing one

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Elementalist is definitely more work (to play well) but Mesmer is not far behind (# 3 behind Engineer). Really depends on what you consider “fun” to be able to answer the question.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: mosselyn.5081

mosselyn.5081

I have both and enjoyed both, but ultimately made my mesmer my main and shelved my ele. (I only PvE).

The ele is fun in her way, but in my hands very squishy. I just ended up enjoying the survivability and versatility of my mesmer more. Also, portals.

Admittedly, part of my problem with my ele is I don’t like playing her in melee, so I never really warmed up to running with daggers, and staff, which I enjoy, is just too weak for solo play. With my mesmer, I can solo effectively and feel like I make useful group contributions, while using weapons I enjoy.

That being said, I was really slow to warm up to my mesmer. The early levels were somewhere between painful and boring. Once I got high enough to get the “clone on dodge” trait and a couple other things, though, the fun factor went way up.

[OTG] The Old Timers Guild of Yaks Bend
www.oldtimersguild.com

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

For PvE, probably elementalist if using D/F. If using staff or LH, I find mesmer more interesting.
For PvP shatter mesmer looks funnier (although I haven’t played it). D/D or staff ele are OK, but too much forgiving IMHO.

Posted by: CoRtex.2157

CoRtex.2157

why dont u just play E/Me or Me/E ??