Which ore/lumber is your limiting factor?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kythan Myr.4719

Kythan Myr.4719

Is there a particular ore/lumber type you find is always your limiting factor? Do you find yourself buying more of one material type than the others when crafting? Do you find it particularly difficult to find certain ore/lumber to gather? If so what is it?

I’m finding mine to be 2nd tier, iron ore and soft wood. Mostly due to ascended crafting. The reason being:
a. It takes 4 softwood logs to refine instead of the usual 3 (WTH is with that anyways!??)
b. I need iron for both steel and iron ingots.
c. I don’t spend that much time in 2nd tier regions. It does help that rich iron nodes are all over Tyria and they seem pretty reliable in location.

So I don’t know if my pain is typical or just from ignorance of the best acquisition methods. However, if Anet ever tweaks crafting requirements or increase gathering nodes, I would nominate these two as the ones needing the most love.

I suppose you could also mention a harvesting node, but those don’t seem to annoy me as much mostly because I only cook a few recipes from time to time. If ascended cooking ever becomes a thing than I suppose there would be more of an issue. For me right now I’m always low on vanilla beans mostly because when I harvest the nodes in Maguuma I get something other than vanilla beans.

So, what are your favorite resources needing a balance?

Posted by: Manoa.5897

Manoa.5897

Do you find yourself buying more of one material type than the others when crafting?

So, what are your favorite resources needing a balance?

Mine isn’t ore or lumber. It’s cloth.

Chaos Spatulai [Chef] | Paragon City Elite [PCE]
Henge of Denravi

Posted by: Melanie.1240

Melanie.1240

Any type of cloth, as my main is a clothie. Not only do you need 100 silk bolts for 1 bolt of damask whereas you only need 50 for the leather/metal counterpart, 1 bolt also takes 3 scraps whereas the leather/metal counterpart takes 2. It’s so unfair.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

My limiting factors for every type:

• Wood: Soft Wood
  • Ore: Iron Ore
  • Leather: Rugged Leather Squares
  • Cloth: Cotton Scrap

It’s interesting. Linen used to be pretty rough for me, but then I got smart about it because of its value, and so now I’m swimming in it. Cotton is the really tricky one for me because I just don’t spend time in those zones. Iron Ore is obvious because it’s needed for both Iron and Steel Inpots, while Soft Wood is always tough because it takes 4 per plank instead of the usual 3. Rugged Leather is interesting and probably shouldn’t give me trouble because of how much Linen I get, but for one reason or another I just never get enough of it.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Gobble D Goop.4081

Gobble D Goop.4081

i dont have much trouble with ores so i have to go with iron for same reasons (although ori is close as well just due to sheer rarity)
as for wood i have difficulty with soft and seasoned logs (i should play lower level zones i guess)

if you need good iron areas, Proxemics lab WP on the West side of Brisban Wildlands is near that canyon that has like 6 iron nodes and 1 rich iron node. your BL in WvW south of the garrison tends to have a few rich iron veins as well (if your world doesnt mind you mining ore) There are also some spots that can have rich iron on the southern part of the BLs (you can check your enemies BL (also good for gold ore/veins)

Habitual Warrior-Ranger
Gates Of Madness
Jewelcrafting to 500!

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

It’s always be soft wood, but I find I run into issues with gold more than any other ore.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

On a side note, soft wood logs take 4 to refine instead of 3 because of a change early on in the game. It used to be 3, but there was an abundance of soft logs so they changed it to 4 to create a sink. They probably should have changed it back around the time ascended crafting was released.

And while iron ore is used both for iron ignots and steel ignots, if you farm iron you will notice you get much more iron per ‘swing’ of the pick than other nodes. Three hits with your mining pick can easily yield 5-6 iron where another resource like mithril would yield simply 3.

Posted by: InfamousBrad.5879

InfamousBrad.5879

It’s not just you. It’s the basic tier-2 matts: iron ore, soft wood logs, and cotton; I’m perpetually out of all three. And linen in tier 3.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I wonder if it would be worth it to upgrade some of that tier 1 stuff that’s overflowing in my bank and then sell it on the market.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

cotton, linen, wool.

I mine every ore node I pass when just walking somewhere. and trees get chopped, but it is really annoying I cannot find corpses or scarecrows to loot cloth scraps from.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I sell the stuff I’m over on to buy the stuff I’m under on.

Posted by: The Meat Wagon.7194

The Meat Wagon.7194

I have problems with soft wood.

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Soft wood.

I mean I don’t make ascended armor, so I’m not too limited on cloth, if I had to pick a cloth that was giving me problems it’d be wool really, because you need 20 per bolt of damask.

Soft wood as OP said, requires 4 logs per plank which is just stupid, which means to make your daily spiritwood plank you need 80 logs, which is more than you can get chopping down trees in an entire zone, and there are no “rich” saplings like there are ore nodes. I can do my iron requirements just by hopping to a few guaranteed spawns of rich iron nodes that reset every day, I do the same for platinum, and hard and seasoned wood I need a lot less, I can get all I need from Bloodtide coast + a few trees in Sparkfly fen that are on the way to a rich platinum I grab.

at about 8s per plank I can’t afford to just keep buying soft wood either.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

kitten freaking silk.

You need 100 bolts instead 50 like with the other materials to make silk weaving.
It costs 3 of the raw material instead 2 like Mithril ingots, even though they drop way less than them.
There’s no node for it even though it’s a basic material.
There’s no enemies more likely to drop them as salvageable items like how wild animals drop often salvageable leather.

Most of what enemies drop salvages into Mithril. I salvage a wooden staff? Mithril. I salvage a wooden bow? Mithril. I salvage some salvageable item dropped by level 65-80 enemies? Mithril. I salvage a freaking cloth armor? For some reason also Mithril!

I could REALLY use cloth nodes being added to the game in some form. Like cloth racks protected by enemies.

Soft wood is the next one. It has plenty of nodes, but it’s rather boring to get since there’s not many ‘forests’ with a higher density of those nodes together, and so you have to walk a lot to get it.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

Cloth seems easier to come by in WvW. That is of course if your server flips things regularly.

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

cloth can be an issue, and mid-teir mats are a pain too.

on another note, I’m being increasingly limited in space to store all my bloodstone dust. that stuff drops far too frequently, and/or has far too few uses (Mawdrey doesn’t count. that’s a huge investment in time/mats/effort. it’s high-end ascended at least)

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I didn’t really have much problem with Ore. I have several “farms” that I go to when I need to gather lots of Iron or Platinum.

Wood was much harder, especially Soft Wood due to the requirement of 4 logs instead of 3. I’ve finished accumulating all the Soft Wood I need now for my Ascended crafting, but it was the biggest bottleneck.

Cloth is by far the hardest to acquire. I’m still accumulating all the Damask I need. Silk thankfully has become a lot cheaper thanks to the Silverwastes throwing out level 80 blues/greens like rain (which has flooded the market with supply). For the other cloth tiers, I got it through a combination of farming events, buying up cheap armors for salvage, and more recently by sending my Champ bags to a lower-level alt for opening. (Opening Champ bags on a lower level alt still has the same chances for the Exotic weapons, but any blue or green gear you get is linked to the alt’s level, meaning you can salvage them for Wool/Cotton/Linen.)

I also have the Basic Cloth Rack in my Home Instance, so that does give me a small amount of Wool or Cotton every day.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I made weapons for my chars and softwood was the one I has to buy most often. I would take a char and do a farming run to get plat and hard wood to sell to buy soft wood. There just isn’t enough soft wood trees.

Posted by: Kythan Myr.4719

Kythan Myr.4719

I have problems with soft wood.

Is this supposed to have a double meaning? :$

Posted by: Lakanna.2073

Lakanna.2073

Iron ore, Silk cloth, Soft Wood. Iron ore and Silk cloth repersent the most money I’ve spent on mats in the TP, with Silk probably being the highest.

“entitled”: Ad Hominem fallacy condensed to a single word.