Which start place do you like best?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: zengara.8301

zengara.8301

I dont know why, might be really subjective, but I like the beauty of the Sylvari start place, how it naturally progresses and the nature all around. It does not feel boring at all, this might be really subjective since I did started off as a Sylvari, but even now, when I start a new profession, I find it alot of fun.

Just wanted to know if it was simply subjective, or others also do find this place to be the best…..so:

Which start place do you like, and why?

(edited by zengara.8301)

Posted by: Arobain.8274

Arobain.8274

in terms of fastest leveling through em, human, in terms of beauty, metrica province

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Caledon Forest for me as well. It’s very well designed and accessible, probably the most immersive starter area.

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

I find Metrica Provice to be the best looking zone, and it just flows right. It also has lots of interesting NPCs, dialogues, and events which really adds to the zone. It is always the first place I go when creating a character (after the cities).

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Posted by: paintpixie.7398

paintpixie.7398

Shiverpeaks! I immediately put all my new characters there, regardless of race. Although, the human maps are easier and faster to complete in my opinion. Each area really does have it’s own charm, but I love the snowy areas best of all. Hoelbrak is my city of choice too.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’m actually partial to the human areas, because they have the most buildings that look like actual settlements that a number of people can live in. Not that there aren’t token buildings for the other races (Asura actually get some serious installations, for instance), but they tend to feel like set dressing rather than lived in spaces.

Plus I like green grass and blue skies.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The Charr and Norn areas are my favorite starting areas. The charr area snuck up on me. I didn’t even realize it until you posted this question. lol

Posted by: Myxam.2790

Myxam.2790

I hate them all equally.

Posted by: Eleri Tezhme.3048

Eleri Tezhme.3048

Metrica Province, for the sheer amount of NPC dialogue and amusement happening.

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I’m a fan of Caledon Forrest.

I personally find the world more engaging with 1st person mode and removing HUD with ctrl + alt + right shift + H.

(still yet to explore anywhere else though)

Attachments:

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Posted by: Eggshells.1748

Eggshells.1748

I love Queensdale.
I just love the human zones/characters/theme/buildings in general.

I don’t care for the other races to be honest.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I really like Queensdale, which works out nicely because I enjoy playing human characters. I haven’t properly played through norn, asura or charr starter zones, so I couldn’t really comment on those. I really enjoy the sylvari starter zone as well.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Human, then probably a tie between Norn and Charr. I don’t like the Sylvari and Asura too much they seem too compacted and everything all crammed in, no real open spaces and that sense of fresh air.

Oh and the horrible map for sylvari, I mean the physical map when you open the map or minimap. It just looks like a mess. Surely they could tidy that up some so the general feeling of the actual map does not look all crammed in so much and just a mess to understand what that or this is. But maybe that’s just me lol…

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

Charr and Norn areas neck and neck for the top spot. Queensdale a distant third. Not much on Caledon and Metrica.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Shiverpeaks! I immediately put all my new characters there, regardless of race. Although, the human maps are easier and faster to complete in my opinion. Each area really does have it’s own charm, but I love the snowy areas best of all. Hoelbrak is my city of choice too.

^ This. I always do Wayfarer Foothills first, after that mostly Queensdale.
Metrica is the starter zone i like the least.

Else also Hoelbrak is my home and mostly i’m playing in Dredgehaunt Cliff,
Timberline Falls and Frostgorge

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Queensdale is the way to go.

Caledon and Metrica are too jungley. Ascalon is too dry and brown. Shiverpeaks are to snowy.

Green hills, calm rivers, crystal lakes, quiet forests… that’s the way to go.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

I have to agree Caledon has, by far, the best area layout by level. It flows properly as you level up, making it difficult to wander into too high a level without you noticing. Ashford would be 2nd, but the open space doesn’t funnel you as well…. And the fact that 2 heart don’t spawn at all unless you talk to the Scout makes it insanely confusing if you didn’t start Charr.

Next I would rate Queensdale and Wayfarer’s. They split part of the map off so you can’t wander into the upper levels until at least lvl 6. This is nice for the beginning, but some areas on the other side have big level jumps that can get you off guard. There are also a lot of sheer hills used as dividers, but face the wrong way. Most players have a tendency to want to travel downhill if given the option; and will sometimes go that direction despite it being there as a deterrent.

Metrica Providence is the worst design wise. In true Asuran fashion, you have to be very cognizant about the design, as it regularly wants you to double back to reach a level appropriate area. Its also got a lot of non-obvious short cuts that get explorers into trouble. And don’t get me started on the Inquest complex entrance being on the other side of the map. However, it also has the most activity, and the most amusing dynamic events. I just wish the Battleground Plaza design and event timers were better so you’d realize the Golem fights have 4 major Krewes, each with their own events; And that periodically there is a major event where the 4 Krewes go Captain Planet against the Inquest.

(edited by starlinvf.1358)

Posted by: bexbz.1905

bexbz.1905

Caledon for sure! The Norn area is my least favourite – I guess having lived in a place with snow 6 months out of the year made me less tolerant of it in any medium! It’s usually the maps I complete last.

Necro Main Forever!
((helping out non-thinkers since 1989))

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

Wayfarer Foothills. I love cold, snowy places, mountains with rivers and lakes (in games and in real life). The quests are fun too.

Posted by: AegisRunestone.8672

AegisRunestone.8672

However, it also has the most activity, and the most amusing dynamic events. I just wish the Battleground Plaza design and event timers were better so you’d realize the Golem fights have 4 major Krewes, each with their own events; And that periodically there is a major event where the 4 Krewes go Captain Planet against the Inquest.

LOL! I have to see this!

Really, my favorite city is Rata Sum, I love the geometry of the city. As for Starting zone… I think Wayfarer Foothills is the best despite the fact I haven’t made a norn. I love the beautiful snowy area. Though, Metrica Province definitely has some of the best events and best hearts (talking with ‘big words’ to skritt, anyone?).

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

However, it also has the most activity, and the most amusing dynamic events. I just wish the Battleground Plaza design and event timers were better so you’d realize the Golem fights have 4 major Krewes, each with their own events; And that periodically there is a major event where the 4 Krewes go Captain Planet against the Inquest.

LOL! I have to see this!

Really, my favorite city is Rata Sum, I love the geometry of the city. As for Starting zone… I think Wayfarer Foothills is the best despite the fact I haven’t made a norn. I love the beautiful snowy area. Though, Metrica Province definitely has some of the best events and best hearts (talking with ‘big words’ to skritt, anyone?).

Oh man… I forgot about the Skritt observation lab. This was the place that first introduced hints of how Skritt intelligence works. It wasn’t until the Personal story that I finally realized how it all works; And to this day Skritt remained my favorite NPC race.