Privacy Discussion [merged]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

If Player A is on Player B’s friends list, but Player B isn’t on Player A’s friends list, how does that interaction work out?

That interaction should not be in place. Change the system. If player A didnt accept friend request Player B wont be on his friend list.

Problem solved.
Now it would be cool to fix restrictions on chat and mail. So people can exchange things and talk.

The follower list isn’t necessarily a bad thing by itself. Sometimes you might follow a GW2 player who you know does streams and you’d like to know when they’re online and maybe streaming on twitch from inside the game, or people follow dulfy because of her site and I know I’ve whispered dulfy about something on the site either to ask a question or something about something on her site before, also a lot of people follow devs that they see in game.

You can’t expect these people who probably have hundreds if not thousands of followers on their followers list to make each and every one a friend, but it is nice to know when those people are on from your end at least if you want to send them a question or hey, maybe a compliment about something they did.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

So, essentially what you are asking for is a way to have options like “Receive Whispers”:

• From All
  • From Friends and Guild Members
  • From Friends
  • None

This seems like a reasonable feature request.
If Player A is on Player B’s friends list, but Player B isn’t on Player A’s friends list, how does that interaction work out?

Would this also extend out to things like mail?

(Please note this does not mean that this will happen, won’t happen, is planned to happen, and or not planned to happen)

This really needs to be added. Especially depending on today’s announcements if they are what they might be. I would recommend changing the from Friends and Guild Members to an ‘or’ versus ‘and’. And then the friends only would have to be that both people have each other friend-ed.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

I said the settings weren’t that much of a hassle in the past, but they are – can I please appear invisible to those I blocked? I don’t really want one guy who’s acting weird lately to know I blocked him – but I don’t think I can take the whispers anymore.

TheGrimm.5624

I’ve read the replies and the way I see this there is two problems

1. “Block” feature is not working as intended (blocked person still can see you online and “stalk” you). This needs to be fixed IMO.

2. Gold sellers spam from new accounts (presumably). At least every time they spam me they use Djhgjh character names and Hjhfgjhf.XXXX account names which makes me think that they are not stolen accounts, they are just new accounts used for mass-whispering. Maybe there is some way of limiting mass-whispering for newly-created accounts?

3. People whispering you that you do not want to receive whispers from. This could be people soliciting things, complaining that you killed them, making unwanted advances, trolls, people against you in WvW, people looking to con you.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

After todays announcement and the game now going free this HAS to be looked at more and SERIOUSLY implemented.

Don’t get me wrong I am not against the game going free and I do welcome incoming people to the game. But for the sanity of some of us we NEED these whisper/mail options.

Also, I will be getting the mentor track done first and out of the way when HOT comes and I WILL help players by turning the mentor tag on when I feel in the mood. So if we do have the “whisper ONLY from friends” and such options of course I would unblock for those times. So there is no excuse or reason for these to not be added at all. As there still will be friendly players ready and willing to help. We just need the options to be able to turn it all off when we need to for a break and such is all we are saying here.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

$$$ Happy Gold Lowest Prices!!! $$$

I totally agree. Today’s announcement highlights the importance of offering these settings to existing players.

I can guarantee the gold sellers will find a way to run massive numbers of free accounts to overcome the 30-second whisper rule, so please either disable whispering altogether on free accounts or patch a full opt-out for paid players into the game.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

So, essentially what you are asking for is a way to have options like “Receive Whispers”:

• From All
  • From Friends
  • None

(Please note this does not mean that this will happen, won’t happen, is planned to happen, and or not planned to happen)

PAPA GEEE!!!!!!!!

TheGrimm.5624

Actually with F2P being able to whisper at all, we really could use these changes in place like last week.

Paulytnz.7619

I don’t know why they exclude them from Map chat but give whispers. Shouldn’t it be the other way around? O.O

I would think if a new player had questions they would be answered in map chat quicker rather than whispering every person they see until they actually find someone that will take the time to answer them.

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

the whisper means only 1 person can potentially be harassed every 30s. Map chat would mean a gold spam in map chat every 30s.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

TheGrimm.5624

In an ideal world, F2P is a separate channel that paid accounts can access to assist new players with but can also be turned off by as other channels can. That way you can keep F2P out of regular chats but still allow them to get information about the game and be helped.

Posted by: Miss Lana Too.5794

Miss Lana Too.5794

I don’t know why they exclude them from Map chat but give whispers. Shouldn’t it be the other way around? O.O

I would think if a new player had questions they would be answered in map chat quicker rather than whispering every person they see until they actually find someone that will take the time to answer them.

the whisper means only 1 person can potentially be harassed every 30s. Map chat would mean a gold spam in map chat every 30s.

Yeah this is probably why.

I don’t think that having the map chat disabled is going to stop gold sellers. I really hope someone has a serious think about these settings and put some into play.

I think that the best course of action would be to have it so you can choose who whispers you (friends, guildies, party members, everyone, etc), and also to have a whisper filter, so if you put the word “fluff” in the filter, no pm with the word “fluff” in it would go through. That way everyone can (potentially) block gold sellers without blocking friends, guildies or randoms who just want to chat.

45 characters, 20 level 80s, 11 impersonal story completions and counting.

Posted by: AlliedKhajiit.2794

AlliedKhajiit.2794

With the core game going F2P now, I would really love to see a method of filtering messages out so you never see them in the first place. Removing the barrier to entry means that PvP will very likely become a lot more toxic from teammates.

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

With the core game going F2P now, I would really love to see a method of filtering messages out so you never see them in the first place. Removing the barrier to entry means that PvP will very likely become a lot more toxic from teammates.

you can filter whispers out entirely; unless you mean like a word filter system akin to anarchy online where if any of the words are said the entire message is removed from your view.

as for whisper privacy, sort of concerned with all the f2p players, since they’re gonna have /say chat anyways, wondering if we’ll ever get any way to disable whispers from non mutual friends/guild mates/squadmates/party mates/team mates/etc? don’t wanna be spammed with any more gold spam than there already is

Miss Lana Too.5794

wondering if we’ll ever get any way to disable whispers from non mutual friends/guild mates/squadmates/party mates/team mates/etc? don’t wanna be spammed with any more gold spam than there already is

That’s the whole reason I started this thread – to show the devs that the lack of privacy settings is not reasonable, and to hopefully get some dev attention (which has thankfully happened), and hopefully going one step further – getting these settings put into the game.

Miss Lana Too.5794

I said the settings weren’t that much of a hassle in the past, but they are – can I please appear invisible to those I blocked? I don’t really want one guy who’s acting weird lately to know I blocked him – but I don’t think I can take the whispers anymore.

Yeah this is quite a big issue that I think the devs overlooked at release. I’m hoping they make some major changes for this, and very soon. Gold sellers are starting to really get on my nerves.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Yea im going to agree with Miss Lana here, on just about everything shes said.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Miss Lana Too.5794

I would like to know if there’s been any more thought put into this by devs.

I still strongly believe that privacy is something that this game is severely lacking in.

Posted by: DavidGX.7240

DavidGX.7240

Agreed. I would really like to have some options regarding whispers.

“Those who go mad are merely thoughtful souls who failed to reach any conclusions.”

(edited by DavidGX.7240)

Miss Lana Too.5794

Would still love to see this system overhauled, as with the new “feature” of being able to see party and guild members anywhere on the map, it is even EASIER for people to tell when you’re just appearing offline.

Paulytnz.7619

There has been a couple of other posts since this one was made (notably after free accounts came along…) asking for the same or similar. So surely Anet must be aware these extra options are still needed and being called for.

Sooooo, with that said, I still support this!

Posted by: darksome.1697

darksome.1697

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I would also like to add that people on your block list should not be able to /join or /invite you. I was hoping that was the case already but the other day one of the people on my block list spammed me with /join and it popped up on my screen.

Posted by: Land of Cheese.2584

Land of Cheese.2584

• From All
  • From Friends
  • None

I think a better option would be to treat this like the way guild chat used to be treated. When you changed your guild rep, the current guild chat disappeared from the chat window. When you changed your rep back, the chat came back.

For this sort of issue, if you block someone, the game should just remove any received whispers (and let’s toss in emote spam, too!) from the chat window that came from that person. If you unblock them, the chat text should reappear.

Miss Lana Too.5794

There has been a couple of other posts since this one was made (notably after free accounts came along…) asking for the same or similar. So surely Anet must be aware these extra options are still needed and being called for.

Yeah this was part of the reason I decided to necro it. The other being that I’m still wanting to see where the devs are with this.

I still 100% maintain that there is no reason to not have privacy settings.

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

Yeah this was part of the reason I decided to necro it. The other being that I’m still wanting to see where the devs are with this..

But why, I wonder, did you do so on a different account .. I am of course assuming both accounts are yours, given their names, a coincidence that seems too remotely possible to be considered.

Paulytnz.7619

Yeah this was part of the reason I decided to necro it. The other being that I’m still wanting to see where the devs are with this..

But why, I wonder, did you do so on a different account .. I am of course assuming both accounts are yours, given their names, a coincidence that seems too remotely possible to be considered.

I’m sorry which accounts are you talking about, not mine I hope lol? I can assure you I am NOT the OP.

Miss Lana Too.5794

Just one spammer caught in the short time I’ve been playing the expac. He literally wouldn’t stop til I blocked him. That’s the max chat tab size, and there are plenty more pms before and after that.

Had three different ACCOUNTS pm-spam me the other day too.

Still need these privacy settings.

Attachments:

Miss Lana Too.5794

Still wondering if it’s “on the table” -shudder-

I would seriously appreciate some sort of communication from the devs on this. Last red post was 3 months ago. Hell, even a “nay” would suffice.

Posted by: kuscheldrow.6415

kuscheldrow.6415

How about applying the same anti-spam protection to whispers, that the mapchat and say uses, too? Like, if you post the same stuff thrice you’ll get chatbanned for a while. That’d make their life a little harder.

As for privacy settings… I don’t even know a game that had it. I’d like an auto-answer to anyone whispering me while I don’t want to be whispered to, like. Sorry I’m afk, try again later/tomorrow

Speaking of privacy… What’s the point in disabling guildchat and whisper if I appear offline, if everyone on my friendlist can still see me changing characters and regions if they decide to stalk me? (Dunno if that applies to the watchlist too.) Plus, they can see if I’m really offline or not if they just mouseover my name and write letters while whisper doesn’t work. :P

Trahearne <3

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

• From All
  • From Friends
  • None

You don’t need any of this. Since these are bots that spam a same predetermined message, all that is needed is a filter on your end that auto bans/suspeneds until cs contact..wtc. They are far enough out there where no normal player is going to accidentally type it in.

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

Miss Lana Too.5794

Still waiting on some sort of update on this.

Today’s interaction with gold sellers;

5:38pm I was pmed. Blocked and reported.
5:42pm I was pmed by a different account. Blocked and reported. Getting a little irritated.
5:45pm I was pmed by yet another account. Blocked and reported. Getting aggravated.
5:48pm I was pmed AGAIN. Blocked, reported and told the guild that I was appearing offline because of harassment that I CANNOT get away from.

I took about a two month hiatus from the game and this is STILL something that needs to be fixed.

And yes, you can sure bet I’m salty as all hell.

(edited by Miss Lana Too.5794)

Posted by: Power.2957

Power.2957

I think they should just rate limit whispers. No real player is whispering 30 other players in the space of 5 seconds.

“Power is like the illuminati of Guild Wars.” -Loshon

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I can repeat only myself what I have written earlier, but as it looks Anet doesn’t care about this and that sadly already since game release, that they players get privacy…

Or they care, but are so loaded with other things to do, that they simply have no time at all to work on a solution fior this…
However, both are answers, which we most likely will never get to hear here from a responsible dev…

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Miss Lana Too.5794

I can repeat only myself what I have written earlier, but as it looks Anet doesn’t care about this and that sadly already since game release, that they players get privacy…

Or they care, but are so loaded with other things to do, that they simply have no time at all to work on a solution fior this…
However, both are answers, which we most likely will never get to hear here from a responsible dev…

I agree that, unfortunately, either one of those is the possible answer. I was hoping with the AMA that the devs would be more open about what’s going on and be more active in the forums, actually talking to people about what they think rather than going off on a random tangent. Turns out that nothing seems to have changed apart from the staff.

That being said, I would be absolutely overjoyed if a dev commented – either with an outright yes, or an outright no. Having an “it’s on the table” response is an absolute load. We’re not talking about pretty outfits or adding content. We’re talking about minimalizing harassment in this game for everyone, while removing yet another avenue for gold sellers to reach out to people.

At this point in time I’m more than happy to keep necroing this thread so the devs see that I’m actually serious about getting changes implemented. I don’t care how long it takes, but I’m definitely not paying them with my hard-earned cash money as much as I used to.

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

I agree with you 100%. Privacy is and always should be a top priority in an online game. I highly doubt that Anet is so overwhelmed by work that they cant create a simple whisper chat block function.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Posted by: Felahr.9830

Felahr.9830

OP, sounds like your issue is more with gold sellers than any flaws in the PM system. do you have a wealth of real actual people harassing you via PM? then maybe the system and privacies could use work. but you dont. you have spambots, which everyone deals with. report and block and move on, like everyone else on the godkitten planet when dealing with automated spam anywhere

Paulytnz.7619

Doing PvP again now as I am sure a lot of people are and yes still dealing with this age old problem. No less than 10 whispers yesterday in fact. Which can be very annoying when you are in the middle of a PvP fight.

TheGrimm.5624

+1, would love to see a roadmap from the devs on this one. This needs to stay on the topics list.

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

the fact that this hasnt been enabled makes me think that ncsoft has a hand in the gold selling business. makes sense from a business perspective.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Posted by: Deedrick.4372

Deedrick.4372

the fact that this hasnt been enabled makes me think that ncsoft has a hand in the gold selling business. makes sense from a business perspective.

They openly have a hand… its called the gem shop.

Posted by: Snoopy Shannon.5123

Snoopy Shannon.5123

Definitely something needs to be done about this.

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

Why has this NOT been implemented yet?

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Paulytnz.7619

Because………ummm, well, I don’t know. Perhaps because it would be helpful? :P

Miss Lana Too.5794

Because………ummm, well, I don’t know. Perhaps because it would be helpful? :P

My thoughts exactly.

And lol to whom thought this was a non-issue. If it’s just me then there wouldn’t be half the support it’s getting.

Seriously, something STILL needs to be done about this. As soon as I get that one first pm from a gold seller I know the floodgates will open, so I immediately appear offline – at the expense of my guild chats and other potential pms from friends I have no other way of contacting out-of-game.

Starting to feel like this MMO is more like a singleplayer game. I miss out on the chat anyway, why not take it completely offline? -.-

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Just thought of other suggestions.

A blocked player should not be able to add you to their list, and if your name is already on it, it should be automatically removed from theirs. Also, a blocked player’s name should also be automatically removed from your followers tab (the followers tab should allow the option to remove names).

This is now a cyberbullying issue.

They can still see you speaking.

They can still mock/abuse/swear at you to others.

This issue is becoming a huge one.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

Posted by: Jung Pisces.7064

Jung Pisces.7064

sounds like hacker-support feature

Posted by: SweetPotato.7456

SweetPotato.7456

Agree, blocked players should not get match up with you in PvP either. I’ve had this one very bad behave player whom I blocked after I’ve voiced out my displeasure against them without result, the person is foul mouth, bad tempered and thinks hes the best players in the whole world. After blocked them I still get matched up with them several times and every one of these matches they purposely thrashed the match.

Guild Wars 2 Forever

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

Agree, blocked players should not get match up with you in PvP either. I’ve had this one very bad behave player whom I blocked after I’ve voiced out my displeasure against them without result, the person is foul mouth, bad tempered and thinks hes the best players in the whole world. After blocked them I still get matched up with them several times and every one of these matches they purposely thrashed the match.

The thing is, you can just keep blocking people you think are bad, and then that becomes a huge mess. If he’s purposely throwing matches, you can report that and let Anet handle it.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: Whitefang.4968

Whitefang.4968

I would like to raise another thing thats slightly related to this topic.

In WvW we have peoples name changed to server plus their wvw rank instead of their own which is to protect privacy and to avoid enemy or any other server players to contact that person.

However, if you block a person by clicking on his character, then right clicking his DP and block, it shows all the details of the person which enables them to whisper you and flame or do many other things.

I think this feature should work different in WvW to avoid such scenario’s.

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

This issue really is being blown out of proportion as usual.