Who Would Like 2 Week Update Just for Polish?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Would anyone be against just having one of the teams focus on polish for one of the updates? I love that little things here and there get fixed every update, but I am talking about having one of the updates focus on just squashing many of the large and small issues plaguing the game. Don’t get me wrong, the game plays great, but sometimes there are so many little issues it can outshine some of the amazing qualities the game has.

If you are for it, say so.

If you think it’s a waste of time, say so, but leave quality reason why you think it doesn’t need to happen. Thanks all.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I wanted that since the game opened, i don’t think its going to happen.

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

There are quite literally thousands of posts on the forums BEGGING them not to bother with more living story updates, but rather focus on bugfixes and QoL (quality of life) changes. They’d rather just add more of the same, over and over, and pretend the issues don’t exist. Meh.

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

Agreed – there are a lot of threads talking about what players want most, or what one thing they’d have in a future update. Nearly all of them ask for (beg for) quality of life enhancements, separation of PvP and PvE skill balances, and bug fixes. (Along with the bi-weekly discussion about whether WvW should be part of world completion.) Very rarely it seems will someone rate getting more living story content higher than squashing bugs.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Im not sure what you mean by polish..you want the game to be in polish language, as an option?

Regarding what others have said: They focus so so so much on living story, and not enough on anything else.

When was the last time dungeons got a good revamp? Not just one..but multiple?
When was the last time there was reason to just go out into tyria and explore, not related to any achievements?
When was the last time you DIDNT see the champ train?>
When was the last time Orr was significant?

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

It would take a lot more than one 2 week update.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Anet probably loves the 2 week cycle because they don’t have to bother fixing bugs since the content goes away pretty soon anyway. We’ve seen this a lot in the LS updates.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Im not sure what you mean by polish..you want the game to be in polish language, as an option?

Regarding what others have said: They focus so so so much on living story, and not enough on anything else.

When was the last time dungeons got a good revamp? Not just one..but multiple?
When was the last time there was reason to just go out into tyria and explore, not related to any achievements?
When was the last time you DIDNT see the champ train?>
When was the last time Orr was significant?

There is another english word “polish” that has nothing to do with Poland. To polish means to make smooth and glossy by using friction, usually in terms of metal or gemstones (though it has MANY other uses). The implication here is that the game has many features that are quite close to being well-done; all they need is a bit of polishing. Smooth out the rough edges. Hope this helps.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

There are quite literally thousands of posts on the forums BEGGING them not to bother with more living story updates, but rather focus on bugfixes and QoL (quality of life) changes. They’d rather just add more of the same, over and over, and pretend the issues don’t exist. Meh.

Actually I doubt seriously there are literally thousands of posts that are begging for them not to bother with living story updates. There probably aren’t even literally hundreds. I’m sure there’s not 1000.

I’m not sure why people ignore the quality of life stuff that has been added.

Guhracie.3419

Actually I doubt seriously there are literally thousands of posts that are begging for them not to bother with living story updates. There probably aren’t even literally hundreds. I’m sure there’s not 1000.

I don’t always agree with you, Vayne, and I’m not sure I can speak toward the number of requests Anet has had about abandoning LS for just a bit to focus on polishing the game, but I do agree that many of the positive changes are frequently overlooked. I love how the daily has evolved into being much more flexible, and how they kept some activities on rotation (though I wish they’d just rotate which one awards karma each day, and have all of them accessible), and more than anything else- the wallet feature.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien

Vayne.8563

I don’t always agree with you, Vayne, and I’m not sure I can speak toward the number of requests Anet has had about abandoning LS for just a bit to focus on polishing the game, but I do agree that many of the positive changes are frequently overlooked. I love how the daily has evolved into being much more flexible, and how they kept some activities on rotation (though I wish they’d just rotate which one awards karma each day, and have all of them accessible), and more than anything else- the wallet feature.

There’s also the new AOE targetting which makes ground targeting a whole lot better for me, and the end to culling which was huge for WvW. And the account bound magic find solution. And though it’s not quality of life per se, the achievement chests are another cool thing to look forward to.

Guhracie.3419

Great point! Ground targeting is a massive improvement! Oh, and getting rid of the verification on salvaging greens!

-Mike O’Brien

Vayne.8563

Great point! Ground targeting is a massive improvement! Oh, and getting rid of the verification on salvaging greens!

Earlier there were other ones everyone forgot already, like being able to craft from stuff in your bank without having it in your inventory, or the preview on the auction house. Even the LFG tool.

We’ve been getting quality of life upgrades all along…and bug fixes with every patch. I’m not sure what the OP thinks could be done in two weeks that isn’t already being worked on to be honest.

Guhracie.3419

I also think that there is a separate team of people working on the living story versus the team who does these QoL updates/upgrades.

-Mike O’Brien

Vayne.8563

I also think that there is a separate team of people working on the living story versus the team who does these QoL updates/upgrades.

This is true. The living story teams (there are four of them) are only a third of the teams working on the game. There are roughly a dozen teams, so eight or so teams are working on other longer term features, including bigger updates (Tequatl was one of them) and the QOL type stuff.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

They have also just stated that a change to Unlimited Harvesting Tools is coming very soon, making them account-bound, rather than soul-bound. That is certainly a lovely quality-of-life update. =)

And, you know, every single release patch note has a section on polish and bug-fixing. Different teams all add to each release. I’m not sure the Living Story/World team are trained to do bug-fixing/polish…perhaps that is the bailiwick of the Bug-fixing and/or Polish team.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

They need a few updates for fixes. I would love to see that but I doubt it will ever happen.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Sorry Vayne but you are arguing something completely different from what is being discussed.

The OP is asking for one of the LS updates to instead focus completely on polish, and you come into the thread talking about quality of life changes that have happened in the past. Those may be loosely connected, at a stretch, but they certainly don’t preclude each other.

You are correct that there probably aren’t 1000’s of threads, however I bet if you read the LS collaborative development thread you can find ~1000 posts that ask for the content to either be slowed down, polished, or both.

QoL also isn’t really polish… polish would be fixing the DE’s that still bug since launch… look at JQ… currently just taking from world bosses:

Dwayna
Golem
foulbear
eye of zhaitan

All bugged, most of the week.

Or the 100’s of clipping issues that exist. Or the lack of dyes on recent armors. Or the still numerous tooltip bugs. The list goes on, but I would be here all night.

A patch that focused 100% on polish would be a great thing for everyone. Plus it would give us 2 weeks without scarlet, it’s really a win, win for everyone.

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

Polish doesn’t sell.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Sorry Vayne but you are arguing something completely different from what is being discussed.

The OP is asking for one of the LS updates to instead focus completely on polish, and you come into the thread talking about quality of life changes that have happened in the past. Those may be loosely connected, at a stretch, but they certainly don’t preclude each other.

You are correct that there probably aren’t 1000’s of threads, however I bet if you read the LS collaborative development thread you can find ~1000 posts that ask for the content to either be slowed down, polished, or both.

QoL also isn’t really polish… polish would be fixing the DE’s that still bug since launch… look at JQ… currently just taking from world bosses:

Dwayna
Golem
foulbear
eye of zhaitan

Or the 100’s of clipping issues that exist. Or the lack of dyes on recent armors. Or the still numerous tooltip bugs. The list goes on, but I would be here all night.

A patch that focused 100% on polish would be a great thing for everyone. Plus it would give us 2 weeks without scarlet, it’s really a win, win for everyone.

^ Pretty much this. the bugs just kind of add up. this game is in wonderful shape. I don’t want to come off sounding like I think it is a mess. Far from it. That doesn’t mean however that I think nothing should happen. I think a team (not saying the LS team) should spend a few months working on a patch that gets released and all it addresses is bugs and polish. No games have ever really done it on a large scale, yet every game I have ever played I see a lot of posts and talk about how cool it would be if a majority of issues were tackled.

I do think they address a lot of things fairly frequently, but there are bugs and annoyances that have been in the game for quite a while. I’d cite them, but I see a lot of familiar names here and it tells me you guys play enough to know what I am talking about.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Vayne.8563

Dwayna
Golem
foulbear
eye of zhaitan

First of all, two weeks is still nothing and I did say that. Two weeks would fix like six bugs. The rate of stuff coming out has nothing to do with the speed bugs get fixed, which was also part of my point.

And you ignore the point about dynamic events being bugged after they’ve been fixed. Most dynamic events were fixed. Changes are made to code and some bug again. I’m pretty sure there’s no a single dynamic event that’s been bugged since launch that needs to be fixed. What you have is the same dynamic event bugged again, maybe with a completely different bug.

See saying someone isn’t fixing bugs means ignoring every patch note that comes out with the bug fixes listed (and many bugs get fixed that aren’t listed. I know because I’ve found some myself).

I am on record as saying I want the living story to slow down too…but it’s not because I think slowing it down will fix bugs more or faster, so these things don’t even necessarily relate.

Quality of life fixes aside, there are tons of bug fixes that has been happened. And you know, throwing more people at a programming problem doesn’t guarantee the problem will be fixed sooner. Sometimes, throwing more people at a problem will slow down the coming of a resolution to a problem.

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

After all this time begging for fixes, I would be more than happy if the at least stop introducing new bugs every 2 weeks -_-

And you ignore the point about dynamic events being bugged after they’ve been fixed. Most dynamic events were fixed. Changes are made to code and some bug again. I’m pretty sure there’s no a single dynamic event that’s been bugged since launch that needs to be fixed. What you have is the same dynamic event bugged again, maybe with a completely different bug.

This is a GW2 forum, not a WoW forum…

Now seriously, I don’t know what game have you been playing but only in Queensdale are at least 9 bugged DE’s since the launch without fix (and I’m not talking about those never-seen event supposedly active only when certain amount of player are around).

So unless you can provide a patch note about those events being fixed and real proofs of them working properly, I must take you statement as false.

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

(edited by daimasei.4091)

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

and the end to culling which was huge for WvW.

To me, the end of culling is still moot and completely useless until they remove the culling of foes in PvE.

As for the topic of this thread: yes please. There are game breaking bugs like fumble dodges that have been running rampant lately and nothing has been done about it (although we have provided reasonable argumentation as to where to start looking for the problem). Or something silly like slaying potions actually making you take 10% more damage rather than 10% less which to me, seems like a simple fix.

At least they fixed party bugs with EU players on NA servers, something that was ruining the game for me and some friends for quite a while.

But, #1 on my list would still be fumble dodges though, especially since it’s getting worse and worse. Oh, and the bandaid ‘fix’ they added to fumble dodge after Whirlwind Attack, actually made it a lot worse. For those wondering what their ‘fix’ was, instead of fumbling after WA, now you just can’t physically dodge for a good half second-1 second after using it.

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

Guhracie.3419

I don’t know about since launch (I’m a latecomer), but the bloodtide coast kidnapping event has been bugged since I started last winter.

That said, it still doesn’t change the fact that different people are working on living story than would even be qualified to do general fixes like this.

-Mike O’Brien

Posted by: angelpaladin.7921

angelpaladin.7921

OP amazing idea that will not happen here is why http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/ArenaNet-Reviews-E255820.htm someone linked that sight on another forum. After reading it and giving it some thought I now understand where most of the shortcoming’s with the company come from. I just hope Anet can get them selfs together before blizzard launches there next 2 expansions.

While World of Warcraft and Diablo 3 arn’t perfect people will still move on to something fresh if given static unwanted content.

Posted by: Sleel.8365

Sleel.8365

I don’t know about since launch (I’m a latecomer), but the bloodtide coast kidnapping event has been bugged since I started last winter.

That said, it still doesn’t change the fact that different people are working on living story than would even be qualified to do general fixes like this.

Oh. Don’t expect that to change. Been playing for a bit over a year. Only seen that event not bugged once. Always on “1 merchant left”. Did do it the one time I saw it not bugged. Hasn’t worked since.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

When ever these threads pop-up people seems to overlook a rather major point.

Not everyone of the devs are bug-fixers.
Not everyone of the devs are polishers.
And so on.

If everyone was able to do everything we would have had a massive amount of fixes every single release, including loads of new stuff.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

lordkrall.7241

To me, the end of culling is still moot and completely useless until they remove the culling of foes in PvE.

You are aware that they did this a few months ago, right?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

You are aware that they did this a few months ago, right?

No they didn’t.

They removed the culling from fellow players. They didn’t remove the culling from monsters. Whenever I’m doing AC P1 for example, in the scepter room, I don’t see a single graveling, which is kind of annoying, especially since they have the tendency to stun lock you into oblivion and dodging their knockdowns is pretty crucial to your survival. Fortunately for me, their knockdown attack has a buildup that has particle effects that I do see however, which means I can dodge it if I look out for the particle effects, but I still don’t see foes.

That’s just one example. Whenever doing open world events for Dragonite Ore, I very often simply don’t see some enemies.

But hey, at least I get to see my fellow players in their generic WvW armors and I get all their particle effects too. But asking for the removal of monster culling is too much to ask I guess…

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

lordkrall.7241

They did indeed remove culling.
If you can’t see stuff that might be issues with your computer or possibly the settings of the game. Because culling was very much removed with the Clockwork Chaos release in August.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Vayne.8563

Bright, while I agree that’s an issue, I don’t think that issue has anything at all to do with culling.

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

It’s unlikely to happen, fixing things doesn’t result in putting new items into the cash shop or black lion chests (four week cycle for each, alternating updates)

Dwayna
Golem
foulbear
eye of zhaitan

First of all, two weeks is still nothing and I did say that. Two weeks would fix like six bugs. The rate of stuff coming out has nothing to do with the speed bugs get fixed, which was also part of my point.

See saying someone isn’t fixing bugs means ignoring every patch note that comes out with the bug fixes listed (and many bugs get fixed that aren’t listed. I know because I’ve found some myself).

I am on record as saying I want the living story to slow down too…but it’s not because I think slowing it down will fix bugs more or faster, so these things don’t even necessarily relate.

Quality of life fixes aside, there are tons of bug fixes that has been happened. And you know, throwing more people at a programming problem doesn’t guarantee the problem will be fixed sooner. Sometimes, throwing more people at a problem will slow down the coming of a resolution to a problem.

two week cycle does not equal two weeks of dev work…there’s 4 living story team’s, given only 1 team get’s content out each 2 week period (and occasionally it’s not 1 of those 4 teams but 1 of the other teams) that’s 2 months of bug fixing….

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

(edited by Protoavis.9107)

lordkrall.7241

two week cycle does not equal two weeks of dev work…there’s 4 living story team’s, given only 1 team get’s content out each 2 week period (and occasionally it’s not 1 of those 4 teams but 1 of the other teams) that’s 2 months of bug fixing….

And what makes you so sure that the Living Story teams are full of bug-fixers?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Depends if the game is big in Poland.

… What?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

lordkrall.7241

I am not saying they aren’t capable to fix bugs. I am just pointing out that not everyone on the teams have knowledge about fixing bugs.
Nor is even everyone on the teams programmers.

Writing code and finding/fixing bugs can very well require two different skill-sets.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Protoavis.9107

Writing code and finding/fixing bugs can very well require two different skill-sets.

errr…no

If you’re unable to do the second one, doing the first one would only be of poor quality.

If someone can only do the first one but not the second one that then means they are unable to critically look at code they write and think about how it interacts with the existing code around it which is not a good sign since that demonstrates a weak programmer who should be having anything that code reviewed by a technical lead.

bugs exist in the vast majority of cases because someone can’t do the first one with the quality required and also didn’t test their work throughly enough or think about it critically enough.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Vayne.8563

I don’t necessarily believe the living world teams are comprised largely of coders in the first place though. At least that seems to be implied by some of what’s said. Not everyone who designs games codes.

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

Give them all the time in the world to squash bugs, make the game more inherently replayable, add more depth to combat, make dungeons less static…

All these things and more would get me into the game again, and I’d love to see them address it at some point.

lordkrall.7241

errr…no

If you’re unable to do the second one, doing the first one would only be of poor quality.

If someone can only do the first one but not the second one that then means they are unable to critically look at code they write and think about how it interacts with the existing code around it which is not a good sign since that demonstrates a weak programmer who should be having anything that code reviewed by a technical lead.

bugs exist in the vast majority of cases because someone can’t do the first one with the quality required and also didn’t test their work throughly enough or think about it critically enough.

So, how come the requirements for a job as a bug-fixer is usually different (and higher) than those of a programmer?

Fixing bugs is one thing, but FINDING them and/or the reason for them is a different thing entirely and thus someone that is “only” programming might have a harder time fixing said bugs than someone that is educated and hired specifically for that reason.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It’s unlikely to happen, fixing things doesn’t result in putting new items into the cash shop or black lion chests (four week cycle for each, alternating updates)

Dwayna
Golem
foulbear
eye of zhaitan

Actually, each of the four teams is responsible for 2 releases in a row (a whole month’s worth). Each team works for 4 months on their ‘release package’, the first half and then the corresponding second half. The developers use tools created for them in-house to create our patch releases, so they aren’t necessarily coders or programmers. Even if one of the patches was dedicated to only ‘bug-fixing’, it would not necessarily mean there were more people available to work on it. Someone whose job is Audio and/or VO may have no bug-fixing skills. Prop Artists, Creature Creators, Armor Artists, Terrain Artists, Text, UI, Writing….many different disciplines are needed for each patch. Few are probably proficient at bug-fixing; they should just sit idle, or should they give it a try, and break things even further? I don’t know…….

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

I blame NCSoft’s largest shareholder, NEXON, for the constant 2 week update that keeps introducing new stuff to buy for gems. As long as NEXON holds the reins, ArenaNet has it’s hands tied. It’s like EA: pushing for profit rather than quality.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Vayne.8563

I blame NCSoft’s largest shareholder, NEXON, for the constant 2 week update that keeps introducing new stuff to buy for gems. As long as NEXON holds the reins, ArenaNet has it’s hands tied. It’s like EA: pushing for profit rather than quality.

Nexon owns 15% of the company. It’s not a controlling interest. There isn’t any real evidence that Nexon has any influence at all.

The closest thing you could find is that someone who used to work for Nexon now works for NCsoft. Of course, some of the founders of NCsoft used to work at Blizzard, so what does that prove?

Protoavis.9107

errr…no

So, how come the requirements for a job as a bug-fixer is usually different (and higher) than those of a programmer?

Fixing bugs is one thing, but FINDING them and/or the reason for them is a different thing entirely and thus someone that is “only” programming might have a harder time fixing said bugs than someone that is educated and hired specifically for that reason.

The requirements are usually higher because the companies looking for dedicated bug fixers lack good programmers and realise they can’t afford to hire the same lack of quality developers they already have since they’re the ones creating the bugs and lack the understanding of how they are creating them. Bugs eventuate from poor quality code.

Protoavis.9107

Dwayna
Golem
foulbear
eye of zhaitan

Actually, each of the four teams is responsible for 2 releases in a row (a whole month’s worth). Each team works for 4 months on their ‘release package’, the first half and then the corresponding second half. The developers use tools created for them in-house to create our patch releases, so they aren’t necessarily coders or programmers. Even if one of the patches was dedicated to only ‘bug-fixing’, it would not necessarily mean there were more people available to work on it. Someone whose job is Audio and/or VO may have no bug-fixing skills. Prop Artists, Creature Creators, Armor Artists, Terrain Artists, Text, UI, Writing….many different disciplines are needed for each patch. Few are probably proficient at bug-fixing; they should just sit idle, or should they give it a try, and break things even further? I don’t know…….

you’re own argument defeats itself

“The developers use tools created for them in-house to create our patch releases, so they aren’t necessarily coders or programmers. "

that being the case, those that aren’t programmers aren’t held up by doing their respective jobs and those that are would be free to fix bugs…

Inculpatus cedo.9234

What?? I have no idea what you are saying.

Protoavis.9107

What?? I have no idea what you are saying.

you said, a lot of the content is done with tools that don’t require coding, as bug fixing would require coding, people that are incapable of coding should be able to continue work as normal using those tools that do not require coding….so why would people who don’t code, that have access to tools that require no coding, end up sitting around doing nothing? you know since they have tools that allow them to create content without coding anything….

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I can’t find anywhere where I said tools don’t require coding. Or that people would continue to work during a bug-fixing patch. In fact, I said they would have nothing to do, but sit around and wait whilst the people who were proficient in bug-fixing fixed bugs. The point is, when spending a month concentrating on bug-fixes only, there would not necessarily be any more people available to do that particular work. Geez.

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

This is the trouble.. the devs have a tough time with patch windows and content all year round.
But.. sometimes.. just a patch or 2 of just QoL and bugfixes would be more welcomed then the devs then to think.. A game i used to play (wont name) did that once.. while not a official patch but still a big patch was just QoL and bugfixes and think it was reported 80% of the player base openly cheered for it.. i mean the game wasnt broken or they were insanely needed.. but they took a chance and it paid off
I think one big patch somewhere down the line here would be awesome as well.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Protoavis.9107

I can’t find anywhere where I said tools don’t require coding.

you said

“The developers use tools created for them in-house to create our patch releases, so they aren’t necessarily coders or programmers. The developers use tools created for them in-house to create our patch releases, so they aren’t necessarily coders or programmers. "

If they aren’t coders or programmers why would they be using tools that require coding…..

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Lol…I don’t have to know how to assemble a car to be able to drive one. I don’t have to know how to code Paint program to be able to use it to edit a picture. I’m not sure what you are getting at, really. Thanks for the input, though. =)