Who are the Daily Achievements intended for?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Blackwolfe.5649

Blackwolfe.5649

Daily Mist invasion or whatever its called. 10 wvw player kills basically.

Colin Johansen casts – Working As Intended
Colin Johansen hits you for 239407889 damage
Game over

Posted by: Ruggy.7819

Ruggy.7819

Todays missions:

-Daily kill variety (check)
-Daily aquatic slayer (check)
-Daily gatherer (check)
-Personal story completer – I don’t play the storyline…
-Daily healer (check)
-Mystic forgesmith – Dont have the items for mystic forge
-Keg brawl stealer – I don’t play the mini games
-Group event completion – Searched for an hour, could not find one active with enough players around
-Daily myst invasion – no clue where this happens

The list does not favor the causual player. We need a larger list or at least 5 choices out of the old daily event list…

Come on really? Keg Brawl.. 10 minutes, I still play this whenever i’m around Hoelbrak :P

Mystic Forge, dyes cost coppers.. throw them in there.. you can use all kinds of low level items in here.. you have access to the /wiki command to even tell you what to use..

complaining for complainings sake is pretty lame

Posted by: LordSlack.4685

LordSlack.4685

I am a casual player who used to complete the daily every day just through playing, but maybe 20 minutes of focus just to round it out.

Maybe it will get better, but the new choices I am presented with are definitely harder. The very 1st thing I thought of when I heard about the new system was “Hooray, no more aquatic slayer!” I ended up having to pick that one yesterday because I don’t know where this keg brawler thing is, I’d rather concentrate on leveling than pvp at the moment, I don’t want to backtrack towards Downleveled events (this is probably the worst idea for a daily) etc. I’ve never used the mystic forge but I might learn how now, though I’d rather keep the gold.

I gotta question the sidekicked events option again. I am leveling right along with the levels of the hearts and my personal story all at once, the game has really nice pacing for leveling and I always have something to do at my level. Why would I want to head to an old zone or run around in the area I just cleared an hour ago looking for events that I already did?

Posted by: Yaos.4528

Yaos.4528

I’d like to see more options added to the daily quests.

Posted by: LeMiranda.9026

LeMiranda.9026

They are intended for whomever has Dailies or gaining Laurels as one of their main activities within the game or for someone who doesn’t enjoy other aspects of the game or someone who has blown through most of the endgame already. Oh lord, how can I run dungeons, help my server in W3, do the guild missions, craft my legendary, run FOTM, and pvp in one hour playing time? Guess what, you can’t! Thank Anet they give us plenty to play with…

As I said in another annoying post, a serious suggestion would be changing Dailies for Weeklies (which would account for 7 dailies but without the “haste” or fact of logging everyday to gain the laurels).

Posted by: Awe.1096

Awe.1096

As I said in another annoying post, a serious suggestion would be changing Dailies for Weeklies (which would account for 7 dailies but without the “haste” or fact of logging everyday to gain the laurels).

Yes, I am bumping this idea every time I see it becouse I think it would be a very good change.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I got my daily yesterday by accident. If that isn’t getting it playing the game the way I want to, then I don’t know what is.

I’m not sure if happening to be in the right place at the right time (either purposely or by chance) counts as “getting it playing the game the way I want to”.

Either that, or you like to spend your game time doing fairly specific activities. The difference is that the older Daily tasks were much more generic and thus complimented a larger variety of activities, and so more players were able to complete the Daily “by accident”.

Maybe that’s true for today, but not for tomorrow. Maybe sometime this week I’ll have to do something crazy to get my daily, but for me when it happens that’s okay. It will get me to experience content I’d otherwise ignore. Yesterday, for instance, I happened upon random groups doing [Group Event] events in zones that days before were completely unpopulated. I tagged along because “PEOPLE ARE DYING I MUST SAVE THEM” and got credit, and apparently that was 1/5 of my daily. Fancy that. With 9 options available to me each day, there’s plenty to choose from. Dare say if that Keg Brawler one pops up again sometime soon, I might actually try it to see what it’s all about.

I think experiencing the content that’s there is important, and I think having dailies push (not very hard, mind you) you to do things slightly abnormal for you, sweet. Still, I’d be very surprised if people couldn’t accomplish 3/5 of the daily requirements doing whatever wherever. (If you never kill enemies or harvest materials, I might ask if you’re playing the game at all!)

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I am in favor of the game including as many people as possible in game activities. After all, it is in the best interests of the game to keep more people active. That said, let’s be clear what the OP is talking about here.

The OP can still do whatever he was doing each day before the dailies changed. The difference is that in doing so, he was completing dailies, now he isn’t. So what’s changed? Well, in addition to the requirements changing, the dailies now have more rewards. Some might say better rewards.

So, since anyone can still play any way they want, what we are talking about is the rewards. One can no longer get the rewards by doing “anything” they want.

Posted by: Zet.9130

Zet.9130

But yeah, I kinda do have to do them if I want laurels, which is the only way I really have to nab ascended gear at the moment.

It’s interesting to see how many different reactions GW2 players have to this change. What worries me the most is that Anet can’t seem to adjust the game without upsetting a large portion of players. This latest change reminds me of an old control freak girl friend of mine. While she was pretty and sometimes fun I quit dating her.

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

Ello, uber-casual player here (I play 10 hours a week or so).

I like the new dailies. The old ones were boring and were becoming too much of a routine (“go to this area and run this path to complete daily”). I like being pushed outside of my comfort zone and try new things. I like that I can be a little creative in how I’ll solve my dailies.

The problem with your comment is that you always had the option of going outside your comfort zone and trying new things. You did not need a change to the Daily system to do it.

Or, maybe you did, in which case that is a personal problem on your end, and perhaps you can understand why I am not even remotely thrilled to have what I enjoyed doing taken away simply to motivate you into trying new and different things.

Posted by: Grand Xerxes.8012

Grand Xerxes.8012

For the mystic forge one, you should always be forging greens imo and not selling them…I am so far ahead in terms of the coin I could get for 4 greens vs the yellows I get it is ridiculous…I stopped keeping track tbh, you can get ecto of those golds if you play high level areas…if you are not, then most of these dailies look fine to me…they really haven’t changed, seems like they just added some new options

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Ello, uber-casual player here (I play 10 hours a week or so).

I like the new dailies. The old ones were boring and were becoming too much of a routine (“go to this area and run this path to complete daily”). I like being pushed outside of my comfort zone and try new things. I like that I can be a little creative in how I’ll solve my dailies.

The problem with your comment is that you always had the option of going outside your comfort zone and trying new things. You did not need a change to the Daily system to do it.

Or, maybe you did, in which case that is a personal problem on your end, and perhaps you can understand why I am not even remotely thrilled to have what I enjoyed doing taken away simply to motivate you into trying new and different things.

shrug You have your preferences, I have mine. I like the new daily system and didnt like the old one, you like the old one and dont like the new one. Can’t please everybody.

Posted by: Hyperion.9704

Hyperion.9704

I just wanted to stop by to add my commentary.

I used to log in nearly every day to complete the daily. Since its change with the laurel system, I don’t bother. It’s annoying to log in and be asked to complete a different set of tasks every day, even if you get to “choose”.

Especially when some are mandatory PvP or crafting that I’d rather not engage in.

I’d like a return to the original daily system where it could be completed during the course of normal play. Completing the daily was normally a reason for me to log in and run around on an alt for a bit, but now I can’t be bothered to purposefully go out of my way to complete these inane tasks.

If it’s a matter of restricting laurels to the more “dedicated” players, have a laurel daily comprised of the more purposeful tasks and leave us to our mystic coins and karma jugs. I was more than happy with that.

Just my five cents.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I had to work on the old dailies and didn’t find them much fun since they were always, always the same. Boring to the core. Especially finding events and variety was annoying if you were unlucky.

The current system is so much better.
- group events: troll and rotting oakheart in 5 minutes
- gathering on the go
- doing personal story on my guardian
- kill variety. Lowered to 13 is a big deal!
- made 5 attempts at clovers. Got 4. Yeah!

The current one is so much easier than the old system and rewards far more varied play. At least I don’t feel punished for doing story (only risen, no events). I don’t feel punished for staying in the Shivs (small variety). I don’t feel punished for doing dungeons (no gathering no events).

I actually feel the current system allows for a far wider range of playstyles, drastically cutting on the “work” needed for the daily, both in time and in feeling like a chore. Sure some of them might push me out of my comfort zone but hey, I wouldn’t be where I am right now IRL if I never did that.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Edge.4180

I’m not sure this comment..

I had to work on the old dailies and didn’t find them much fun since they were always, always the same. Boring to the core.

..matches this comment:

- group events: troll and rotting oakheart in 5 minutes

Because it sounds like every time you need a group event, you’re going to hunt down the troll and rotting oakheart. How is that not “always, always the same”?

In reality there was nothing that was “always the same” about the original Daily save for the objectives. But you could choose to go anywhere and do anything to accomplish them.

Posted by: pencapchew.5432

pencapchew.5432

Dailys are fun and easy. I like the variety now then before. I can get them done in a normal fashion even if I do not chose 5 i end up completing 5.

I like be able to choose what I want to do instead of being forced into the same thing over and over or having 5 choices made for me.

The daily system is fine. They will be adding more to it in the long run too which is nice.

Edge.4180

I’ll just say again what was said earlier: kill quantity, kill variety, gathering quantity, and event quantity should always be part of the daily selection/rotation. Do that, and players at least have the option of making the new Daily very much like the original Daily (all they need to do at that point is choose one additional task), which will greatly minimize the frustration and complaints.

If you listen to many players here, those original choices were a “pain”, so it’s not like there should be any “too easy” balance concerns here. And you could always increase the number of choices available on a given day if there is a concern about those four “core” tasks tying up spots for other choices.

I can’t see why anyone would disagree with this. And the only reason ANet would disagree with this is if they’re determined to force players to play the game the way they (the designers) want them to play. If I want to do daily kills, kill variety, events, and gathering every day.. I should be allowed to. Live and let live. Let me choose to branch out to other choices on my own. Don’t beat me over the head with it every day.

Posted by: Darque Intent.1674

Darque Intent.1674

This is the new “Play our way” initiative.

Because I want to spend half an hour or more at the start or at the end of a game session, proving I’m playing the game and getting the associated rewards.

All hail Emperor Anet, and their new clothes!

Posted by: somsom.5201

somsom.5201

Casuals. They serve no purpose other than to provide a means of getting high tier content to people who play 30-60 mins per day. The funny thing is, these are the very people who will NOT benefit from these items. Yet, the rest of us are gated from getting them by other means, be it from fractals, dungeon tokens, karma, gold, etc.

Sorry, but dailies are a HORRIBLE relic of daysgoneby. Just because WoW does it, doesn’t mean you guys should too.

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

Well I must be the kind of person that dailies are intended for because I enjoy going out of my way to complete them (rather than doing them as I play) and I like them even more now that I have different choices each night. Dailies are a guild activity on most nights and we all enjoy getting together to knock them out. Ooh and I am so excited because the monthly will reset soon I just wish there was a weekly!

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Sorry, but dailies are a HORRIBLE relic of daysgoneby. Just because WoW does it, doesn’t mean you guys should too.

They did do it, a while back. Look up “Zaishen Quests”.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I kind of like the optional dailies, so they are for casual old me.

Why, yesterday I was able to complete 5 options in Orr. Orr! Take that, formerly required kill variety! I kitten in your general direction!

Posted by: Lanser.8520

Lanser.8520

I kind of like the optional dailies, so they are for casual old me.

Why, yesterday I was able to complete 5 options in Orr. Orr! Take that, formerly required kill variety! I kitten in your general direction!

I imagine you throwing cats at a man named Kill Variety.

I’m in the minorty from what I can tell, but I don’t like the specificness of the new dailies. They seem too specific yet don’t offer enough choices with only 9 to choose from. While I never had to go out of my way with the original 4 daily goals, I now have to go out of my way (even if its just a tiny bit) to do some of the new dailies intead of playing the way I want.

Its likely because i’m so used to the old system, and this is only a very minor issue, but I don’t like playing a shopping list.

Edge.4180

Well I must be the kind of person that dailies are intended for because I enjoy going out of my way to complete them (rather than doing them as I play) and I like them even more now that I have different choices each night. Dailies are a guild activity on most nights and we all enjoy getting together to knock them out. Ooh and I am so excited because the monthly will reset soon I just wish there was a weekly!

I can certainly see this being a welcome addition to the game if I had otherwise run out of entertaining things to do in GW2, which seems to be the case for you and your guild.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective) I have not run out of fun things to do in the game. Not by a longshot. But, unfortunately (definitely, in this case), I am not getting a chance to do those fun things because (as you said) we must now go out of our way to complete the Daily rather than it being completed as we play naturally. Most of my available time online (which, granted, is not a lot) is being tied up with an activity that used to not chew up any of my available time at all, which causes me to dislike the change.

Now, if the rotation always included kill quantity, kill variety, gathering, and normal events together as the available choices, I would not be running into the problem I’m currently having.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

“Who are the Daily Achievements intended for?”

Let me answer it simply and to the point. The daily achievements are for the good citizens of Tyria who are following the path of the power curve laid out for them by Anet. Nothing more, nothing less. Of course, the temporal aspect encourages people to login and play and the achievements provide a daily sense of accomplishment on your way to your future fun reward.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Let me answer it simply and to the point. The daily achievements are for the good citizens of Tyria who are following the path of the power curve laid out for them by Anet. Nothing more, nothing less. Of course, the temporal aspect encourages people to login and play and the achievements provide a daily sense of accomplishment on your way to your future fun reward.

What about those of us who aren’t good citizens in that we don’t run Fractals, we don’t do sPvP, we rarely do WvW, we run dungeons mostly with a guild group, and aren’t rabidly fanatical about getting Ascended trinkets?

. . . who also don’t have a problem with the new system?

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

What about those of us who aren’t good citizens in that we don’t run Fractals, we don’t do sPvP, we rarely do WvW, we run dungeons mostly with a guild group, and aren’t rabidly fanatical about getting Ascended trinkets?

. . . who also don’t have a problem with the new system?

we apparently don’t exist

Posted by: Roysten.3456

Roysten.3456

The progress chugs along without ticking the boxes. just play for a bit, tick what’s completed then look at what’s left and aim at what you fancy.
Find it much better than forcing myself to jump in a pond for an age.
Actually got the aquatic slayer by just playing normally for one of the new ones.

Mustard Pepper

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

I can certainly see this being a welcome addition to the game if I had otherwise run out of entertaining things to do in GW2, which seems to be the case for you and your guild.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective) I have not run out of fun things to do in the game. Not by a longshot. But, unfortunately (definitely, in this case), I am not getting a chance to do those fun things because (as you said) we must now go out of our way to complete the Daily rather than it being completed as we play naturally. Most of my available time online (which, granted, is not a lot) is being tied up with an activity that used to not chew up any of my available time at all, which causes me to dislike the change.

Now, if the rotation always included kill quantity, kill variety, gathering, and normal events together as the available choices, I would not be running into the problem I’m currently having.

Please don’t make all these assumptions, I was only trying to show some support for the new daily system. I never said you must now go out of your way to complete the daily. I said I enjoy going out of my way to do it, that’s just me. Also I (and my guildmates) have not run out of fun things to do, i’m just a person that likes structure so i like having a task I can do each night that I log in (especially now that I can choose different tasks, even more fun for me). I bang out my daily quickly within 15-20 minutes then I move onto other fun stuff I also enjoy. I get how some might not like the dailies and that is unfortunate. But they are optional and you could probably still get them done during regular play most of the time depending on what you choose.

Edge.4180

I bang out my daily quickly within 15-20 minutes then I move onto other fun stuff I also enjoy.

The first daily of this patch was:

Kill Variety
Aquatic Slayer
Gatherer
Personal Story
Healer
Mystic Forgesmith
Keg Brawl Stealer
Group Event Completer
Mists Invasion Defender

How exactly did you manage to bang out five of those in 15-20 minutes? Because I’m thinking you meant closer to an hour, but if I’m off I’d love to hear your secret.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I bang out my daily quickly within 15-20 minutes then I move onto other fun stuff I also enjoy.

The first daily of this patch was:

Kill Variety
Aquatic Slayer
Gatherer
Personal Story
Healer
Mystic Forgesmith
Keg Brawl Stealer
Group Event Completer
Mists Invasion Defender

How exactly did you manage to bang out five of those in 15-20 minutes? Because I’m thinking you meant closer to an hour, but if I’m off I’d love to hear your secret.

Hmmm. This was not the first of this patch, because there was a small window between the patch time and the reset. Getting Skill Challenges was on that one, for instance.

I can see this done in 30-45 minutes, 15-20 is a little tight for timing.

- Mystic Forgesmith, you can have the components on hand OR get them through cheap crafting if you choose to.
- Healer, if you’re at a large event . . . I was at Claw of Jormag . . . you can get this if you pick up people in the back.
- Group Event, I forget if this was one or two, but I got Jormag while I was there. If there’s two, you can take a hop via Waypoint somewhere else and get one done.
- Mists Defender, depending on luck hopping right into a fray. Assuming that like me, you don’t bother going there unless you really need to . . .
- Aquatic Slayer, lakes in Queensdale will do this. Alternatively, Bloodtide Coast is another excellent choice right near Lion’s Arch.
- Kill Variety, I can snag this in Gendarran or southern Queensdale in under ten minutes.