Who else will never create another Alt?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Drlightningbolt.1754

Drlightningbolt.1754

Try it before you knock it. Don’t listen to a forum. Go in the game, make a character and try it. You’ll hit level ten within an hour of starting and it picks up very quickly from there.

If you believe what you’re reading here, then you’re only getting half the story. Reddit, for example, isn’t nearly as dissatisfied as this group, many of whom have an ax to grind prior to this anyway.

Untill you hit level 20(which I have been leveling an alt thought this slagfest btw) And you realise its just as fast pre patch, and you are missing two utility slots you will not see untill levels 24&35 and an elite skill you get at level 40(that would be the halfway point in leveling). And have fun leveling those 8/9 levels inbetween personal story misssions, because lets be real you get maybe 2 levels from them. By all means though exprience this for yourselvs.

Posted by: Porterhouse.6304

Porterhouse.6304

the money isnt in alts.
the money is in the new players.

This is often the fatal thinking that kills an MMO. Any MMO veteran has seen this happen.

Game Company X tries to make changes to attract new players. Attracts a few new players that stick around for a few weeks, but loses a megaton of old players permanently.

When a game has been out a few years it doesn’t suck up new players like on it’s release day. The new players that join usually get recommended to try it out by friends and family who are already playing the MMO. Those veterans are your promotional material. They’re the one’s talking about the game via word of mouth and on gaming forums that aren’t moderated by Anet. What do you want the veterans if Game Company X to say when they can’t be moderated?

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Who in their right mind would ever buy a character expansion slot now?

Thats the question. I have 13 characters (one is lvl10, was using it for personal story daily, and to get a key), and had been thinking of buying another just to try out the new level/PS rewards. Not anymore though. Now that all the stuff has been announce/shared on the forums, I have absolutely no desire to ever make a new character (probably wouldn’t still even if a new class came out).
Just revert the changes and make an actual tutorial (that can be skipped).

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

+1 here, when I am playing games I look for more options and skills not less. Restricting people’s abilities draws out the leveling process painfully. There are few games that I would say start at max level, but to me this was one of them because I had a full range of options to try and play with which keeps things fresh. By limiting these options it creates a feeling that you have nothing new to try, hit 1. I would recommend reviewing this leveling process. Thanks for your time. Good hunting!

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

I started a ranger last night, was happy I started with a bow, hearts definitely grant a lot more XP but I hate the fact that the PS is locked every 10 and grants very little XP and rewards.

I would love a game I could enjoy playing for 15k+ hours like GW1.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: Alasia.9502

Alasia.9502

I regret buying the character slots now.

“An ill-fated love.”

Posted by: eekzie.5640

eekzie.5640

Tried leveling up a new character. Even used a level 20 experience scroll for it.
Still don’t feel like I have acces to anything. Leveled up to 22 and deleted the character.

4 empty slots rotting away.

Posted by: NoxInfernus.2361

NoxInfernus.2361

As I’ve stated in other posts:

My Alt addiction is cured.
Praise be to RNGesus

Posted by: RubberDougie.2750

RubberDougie.2750

Ahhhhh. This summarizes it. This.

Posted by: ikke.9315

ikke.9315

who need alts anyway, been playing for 2 years and got 7374 hours played on my ele

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Ahhhhh. This summarizes it. This.

Why can’t I +1 this more?

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: marissajz.2769

marissajz.2769

I seriously doubt any of you have tried leveling a character after these changes. Its never been this easy before and if you vets are truly worried about leveling an alt you should be overjoyed. You can do it quicker than ever. I suspect a large portion of the crying is really about key farming becoming more tedious. If you create an alt and somehow find it to be harder because of the skill gating…you just cant be helped. Are you saying you prefer the leveling to be slower but more involved? For me I just want to get my alts to 80 where they can be of the most use to me. I can do that quicker now. I dont need to experience every little thing Ive done 20 times before.

Trust me, I’m saddened we’ve lost keyfarming. But ANet could’ve handled that little problem easily by simply removing the keys from personal story or putting the key reward at higher personal story levels. This seems like a VERY knee-jerk reaction to a minor scrape.

I created a new character yesterday just to see what it would be like to do so, and I was immensely BORED. You can’t even unlock your BASIC skill bar until level 10. No rallying. It’s just a terrible experience. I HATE doing hearts. Passionately. Only did them to work towards legendary. The progression itself, isn’t quicker, nor is it slower. It’s just monotonous, tedious, and not fun. Part of the fun of creating a new character was seeing what they could do. That’s been completely removed.

Here’s a question for you: how are people who are actually new to the game supposed to learn how to play their characters properly?? They have to grind through just to get skills unlocked.

I feel very fortunate that I have all 8 professions to 80 already, and I feel very sorry for anyone who doesn’t. I will not be recommending this game to anyone.

(edited by marissajz.2769)

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

Yeah, I’d struck off ever creating another alt back when they changed the trait system at feature patch one. This update just puts the final nail in that coffin.

Exactly. Same for me.

Those who think this new leveling process is better because it is faster probably didn’t really enjoy the leveling process before. Speeding to the climax is not always the most rewarding experience. Savoring the process can add much enjoyment.

I guess since the new leveling experience doesn’t seem that much fun then getting through it quickly is better than it taking forever so using scrolls might make it palatable. But I’d rather just say no and wait for a more appealing situation.

Posted by: Ragion.2831

Ragion.2831

Lol i will create as many alts as i want and use tomes and sp scrolls because i dont want to go through the leveling process again which can take up to 2 months. In the end, what i want is a full character experience from any class, which can only be gotten when you have all your skills and traits.

Why veterans who have gone through the leveling process before, some several times are complainign when you can automatically get to level 80. Isnt it better to play the personal story and play the end game content without your alt feeling like a ‘gimpd’ version of your main?

(edited by Ragion.2831)

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

Why veterans who have gone through the leveling process before, some several times are complainign when you can automatically get to level 80. Isnt it better to play the personal story and play the end game content without your alt feeling like a gimpd version of your main?

With this new trait system that’s the only way to play that appeals to me now. Although I just leveled my 10th, and last of my grandfathered characters to 80 last night there is still a lot I haven’t done yet. But I will miss the old leveling process since I found that fun.

Posted by: Gaab.4257

Gaab.4257

With the current trait and leveling system I won’t buy new character slot or start new alt. Even before this september patch leveling was boring and tedious, now it got even worse.

Posted by: AtlasSi.9130

AtlasSi.9130

I have 1 more slot for another 80 “if” a new race or class comes out. Thing is….I’ve stocked up on enough tomes to insta level 2 more chars 1 to 80. That’s the ONLY way I’ll make another 80. Tomes or not at all.

18 80s | 12 100% | r177 | wvw r970 | 9,000+ hours
BP → DR → FA → Mag → BP → FA

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

Ha. I decided a long time ago not to make any more alts once they nerfed the ability to run a single dungeon path for tokens with multiple toons.

It became painfully obvious they just want you to buy **** in the gem store for your alts but don’t actually use them for anything.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I did and I am enjoying it.

I don’t get what others find entertaining with rushing the game with a new char, enjoy what is given to you when you reach the level needed to gain it. The point for this is so you will have a slow and easy way of learning your character while getting to level 80 where the game starts.

I can read why so many complain but it puzzles me to why they even complain becouse it is not such a big deal. Before it was just a level and I said ‘yay level up… Soon I am level 80’ but now I have more or less something to look forward to for every level I gain.

The only complaint I have wich I havent tried myself but I trust the posters about it and that is how screwd up the downleveling system works with the new stats so that you get powerspike and suddenly you get worse each level and suddenly another powerspike and so on.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

No understanding whatsoever how and why Anet wanted these changes implemented. Just another example how out of touch you are with your veteran player base, oh, by that I mean the 3.5+ million who purchased and played this game over the past 2 years.

kitten.

This feature patch just made me lose nearly all interest in this franchise…

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

I don’t get what others find entertaining with rushing the game with a new char, enjoy what is given to you when you reach the level needed to gain it. The point for this is so you will have a slow and easy way of learning your character while getting to level 80 where the game starts.

I can read why so many complain but it puzzles me to why they even complain becouse it is not such a big deal. Before it was just a level and I said ‘yay level up… Soon I am level 80’ but now I have more or less something to look forward to for every level I gain.

The only complaint I have wich I havent tried myself but I trust the posters about it and that is how screwd up the downleveling system works with the new stats so that you get powerspike and suddenly you get worse each level and suddenly another powerspike and so on.

What is this obsession with “I must have each level up be important! Even if I have to eviscerate progression to do it!”? I just want to play my kitten characters and use their skills. Both of these feature packs have made me feel like an idiot for waiting to level my alts in what was supposed to be a “new and more interesting” system. Whelp, kitten that I guess. I don’t want to be forced to either use a shortcut or grind hearts to progress. I don’t want to be locked out of the QoL skills that make exploring easier (Air 4 on Staff for ele for example). I don’t want to play this forced tutorial that tries to teach via osmosis.

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

What is this obsession with “I must have each level up be important! Even if I have to eviscerate progression to do it!”? I just want to play my kitten characters and use their skills. Both of these feature packs have made me feel like an idiot for waiting to level my alts in what was supposed to be a “new and more interesting” system. Whelp, kitten that I guess. I don’t want to be forced to either use a shortcut or grind hearts to progress. I don’t want to be locked out of the QoL skills that make exploring easier (Air 4 on Staff for ele for example). I don’t want to play this forced tutorial that tries to teach via osmosis.

Well obviusly whe are two totally different persons then. I hope that the majority of GW2 players like these new changes and that these buuhhuu posts are made of the same 10 people over and over again so that they are a minorty since I hope these changes will stay.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Well obviusly whe are two totally different persons then. I hope that the majority of GW2 players like these new changes and that these buuhhuu posts are made of the same 10 people over and over again so that they are a minorty since I hope these changes will stay.

Some people just want to watch the world burn..
I guess there must always be ‘that guy’ who revels in the misery of others and can’t resist to be smug about it on the forums.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

Posted by: Mala.3861

Mala.3861

I am an altoholic. I love playing alts but unless something changes, I think I am done.

Someone suggested an option for us veteran players to be able to turn off the options; however, while I think this would be great for us veterans, I cringe at the thought of a new player trying out my beloved GW2 and be welcomed by the mind-numbing boredom I just experienced leveling a new one to level 10. No way will I take this character any further. These first 10 levels gave every indication that the rest of the game has nothing but tedium ahead.

I hope someone with some insight into what players really enjoy looks into this and has the ability to say, “Well, we screwed up on this one.” And revert it back to it’s original glory.

Posted by: Arnavon.9620

Arnavon.9620

I’m hoping Anet reads this thread and considers all of our compla- er.. feedback. This new babifying the leveling process bites the big one. Where once I could naturally progress my abilities with a weapon by using it a lot, they are not capped behind a level wall. Where once I had the freedom to go and obtain skill points, again, level wall. I used to be able to enjoy underwater combat; level wall. I used to enjoy starting my personal story with a new character; level wall. Level wall, level wall, we need more level walls!! How are new players -ever- going to understand the complexities of a 5 skill system without a level-wall between each skill?

A list of things I used to be able to do from level 7 on:
Do the personal story
dual wield
swap weapons
fight underwater
get skill points

The removal of these things doesn’t so much make the game easier or “more accessible” it makes it more boring and more of a chore. Now instead of progressing in level through the story, obtainment of skill points, trying out various weapons and unlocking their skills, I am limited on what I can do based on what level my character is.

I don’t know what got into you Anet, you used to be cool. Please give me my freedom back.

Posted by: Arnavon.9620

Arnavon.9620

Thank Goodness you’re the minority on this.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I will never make another alt. In fact, even after leveling a new ranger to 80, I think I might just delete it, since I have only 4 traits and I refuse to jump through hoops to seek them out (rather than, I don’t know… actually play the game the way I would have enjoyed it).

So, I will stick with my necro, my warrior, and my thief. Too bad, too, because I think the ranger would have been fun had I been able to play with builds.

I’m on the fence as to whether I will continue to play. As I stated in a post a while back, I think I’m still here because I’ve invested a lot of time and real life cash and I feel it would be a waste to just up and leave. I’ve also grown really attached to my characters. Yet, the sheer boredom is hard to overcome.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Thia.4891

Thia.4891

I will never create another character until the Personal Story is repaired. I don’t even want to log in again until the missing content is put back in and the PS is put back into it’s proper order.

(Sigurdas MoonEyes and Ronja) (Myrin Crowneguarde) (Yarza Steelfang) (Luqq) (Nevnia)

Posted by: Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica Dream.7103

I started a new Alt to play with a new GW player who is a RL friend. All I seem to be doing is apologizing for what GW turned into. This is not fun any more for low levels. Leveling is a grind fest
I would not be surprised if he soon leaves the game for another.

Posted by: Penarddun.6827

Penarddun.6827

I had proposed GW2 to be added to the games we play at my computer tech club in school. I was really pushing the members to buy it. But these are experienced gamers so I had to retract my proposal because I’m embarrassed to recommend it in its current state for new players.

Posted by: Angel.6085

Angel.6085

I have two non 80s that I planned on leveling. Theyre around 20-40. Probably will never finish them now, because they broke this game.

Planned on using my keyfarming character slot to make a PvE guardian. Won’t be doing that. If something doesn’t change I’ll probably be leaving this game, which breaks my heart a bit.

YB>DB>BG>SOR>TC>BG>FA>DB>SOS>BP Guardian
Formerly [rB], [OPED], [Choo]
Guild Leader [DN] Digital Nemesis

Posted by: Synesh.1094

Synesh.1094

I was considering spending 10 euros in the game to buy a character slot. And make a thief, maybe Sylvari since I didn’t do one in ages.

Weeeell. Nope. Sorry, I’ll spend my money elsewhere. The fun fact is that I just tought the day before how they finaly made the megaserver not feel like a megaoverflow, so I did change my opinion and was ready to give this game some cash. And now my exitment has dropped that like that day when I saw germans, frechs and whatever all in one single once-english server.

I felt like I was being thrown into a kids pool and some one just peed. This feels the same.
They have an history of making bad decisions and improving them, so by god they better improve this stuff or apologies and turn 180° back.

(edited by Synesh.1094)

Posted by: ReV.6097

ReV.6097

I’ve retracted all forms of advertisement as well. It’s too depressing to try and boast this game anymore, with their current block on weapon skills and PS and the whole attitude to every alt you make is a repetitive rinse and re-wash that will repel people when they make a second character.

GW2 Role Play Deviant art -
Legacy of Kain:
[link]http://fav.me/d8kgamy[/link]

Posted by: Flokkie.9675

Flokkie.9675

Well I call for a boycot…. for one week nobody buys anything from the store. No gold, no gems, no nothing…. Mayby if nothing comes in they will think about what they have done.

Posted by: Nonbeing.5234

Nonbeing.5234

This topic is already well-worn territory by now, but I just wanted to add one more voice.

I strongly disagree with the general philosophy of dumbing down the game to appeal to the lowest common denominator… and I, too, will never make another alt, or spend another cent on gems, until and unless the design direction of this game changes.

I love this game and see incredible potential in it, and for now I still like it enough to continue playing my existing characters.

But they have made it clear that it is more important to them to attract as many new players as possible, rather than keep the older, loyal players happy. And they are willing to dilute the game in the process, to cater to as broad an audience as possible. And I just can’t financially support that kind of philosophy.

Add that to your metrics – 1 more (former) gem store customer lost.

P.S. I haven’t give up on this game yet, and if they release engaging new content in the future, they may win back my willingness to spend my money. And I really hope that happens. We’ll see, I guess.

Server: Borlis Pass
Guilds: [AXIS], [TWIN]
Active Characters: Euday (80 Sylvari Ranger), Vox Apeirona (80 Human Ele)

Posted by: Penarddun.6827

Penarddun.6827

and the whole attitude to every alt you make is a repetitive rinse and re-wash that will repel people when they make a second character.

Exactly, alts always had a repetitive nature to them because of similar starting areas and the stories merging at the Order choice and then at the final story arc but at least the start of the personal story allowed it to feel a little different when starting a new character, but having to wait for the only different content till level 10 and then 20, just made it even more repetitive. No thanks.

Also going back to only using 2 or 3 skills, that just causes bad habits to form, because you get used to playing in a mind-numbing way.

Posted by: Sokia.3710

Sokia.3710

I called my friend earlier. I told him not to buy Guild Wars 2. I told him to keep playing World Of Warcraft.

Now I feel like I need to brush my teeth, and pour mouthwash down my throat.

Posted by: Synesh.1094

Synesh.1094

Honestly, I don’t think they really want to invite new players. Most if not all of this changes came copy pasted from the chinese client.
Hell they even removed skulls in some places, like the Tamini totems apparentyl.

I honestly believe that NCsoft korea pressed Arenanet to push this update how they tought it woul be best for the company. And if the guy that gives you money says bow, you bow unfortunatly.

Posted by: Domino.1359

Domino.1359

Hi, I’m Dom and I was an altaholic before the NPE (Does anyone who played SWG see the resemblance in the SWG NGE?!! Oh the doom…).

Anyways, i’m now cured after trying to level a new alt with these updates. The starting content seems extremely watered down – I clearly remember the first day the game came out and found it excitingly wonderful the amount of things to do, both on the minimap and around your character. The difficulty is a wonderful part of a game.

Posted by: ReV.6097

ReV.6097

They are aiming this at people who haven’t played before the patch. Basically aiming it at players who don’t know any better, because, upon their arrival, everything would have changed.
Problem is, it’s become ridiculous to ask players to level gate threw the first 35 levels to unlock all the things that were previously open at lower levels or from the start of launch.

Once the brand new player catches on to this repetitive aspect, will they find reason to play an alt? I mean, they won’t know any better, unless they speak to Veterans or watch old guide videos about GW2 playthrews.
Lets face it, some of the newer players who started a few weeks ago have stated their discontent for what has become of the game that they just purchased.

GW2 Role Play Deviant art -
Legacy of Kain:
[link]http://fav.me/d8kgamy[/link]

Posted by: Imperial Thor.5487

Imperial Thor.5487

Honestly, I don’t mind it too much, I don’t prefer it but games change the leveling areas quite often, Not something new too MMOs. And I’ll keep leveling my alts since it’s one of the most enjoyable things for me : P

But I would like to know why my 29 character still can’t get normal amounts of XP in EotM.

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

I’ve just stumbled upon the new, pathetic cannonball event in Plains of Ashford. Instead of the heart with carrying cannonballs stolen by skritt there is wave after wave of skritt to be killed. Ad infinitum. Mindless grind instead of interesting bundle mechanics.
I want to stay the hell away from the starting zones from now on. Never mind alts. Not sure if I’ll ever complete another world. It’s just sad to watch this failure, this travesty of a good, rich content.

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

(edited by Asmodeus.5782)

Posted by: slayerking.3581

slayerking.3581

I called my friend earlier. I told him not to buy Guild Wars 2.

I did the same thing to a few people I had been telling to buy GW2. I had an elementalist that was lvl21 had all but the elite skill slot unlocked, Now it’s gone mental. No earth skills any more even though I had them unlocked and they were on when I logged back in but as soon as I changed to fire they were gone. My 2 utility slots were filled as they were when I logged out but can’t use them. I had bought 2 character slots a week ago and deleted a couple of characters I hadn’t played in a while to make a few new alts, What a mistake that was now I just have extra storage as I wont be playing them at all like this.

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

I’ve certainly stopped advertising the game. I’ve been practically forcing it upon people for the last 15 months. Now it’s time to quicken its downfall, it’ll be healthier for us, prolonged agony is not a good thing to watch.

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs