Who is GW2's Gwen?

Who is GW2's Gwen?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Torvic.8256

Torvic.8256

Just as Gwen was the GW1 series’ transcendent figure, who is GW2’s?

Or is it still too early to tell?

Who is GW2's Gwen?

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

Clearly it’s Trahearne.

Who is GW2's Gwen?

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

[Champion Risen Scarlet]

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Who is GW2's Gwen?

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Not sure there is one. Consider that you encountered Gwen in pre-searing Prophesies for a very short time and did not see her again until EotN was released 2.5 years later. She then became one of your HEROs (semi-controllable and fully configurable Mesmer). I’m not sure I would consider her a “transcendent figure” as the OP states, but she is certainly a hugely beloved character and (IMO) had much more depth than any of the current NPCs (tho I kind of liked Tybalt in the same way).

Trahearne is an NPC figurehead that keeps the story from being too tightly focused on the PC alone. To be honest, his character is one dimensional and uninteresting.

We know where Gwen’s body is supose to be lying….how about a Champion Risen Gwen?

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Who is GW2's Gwen?

Posted by: Allaraina.8614

Allaraina.8614

[Champion Risen Scarlet]

BAHA… HAHAHAHA… HAHA….

Please no. T_T

My 18 characters are waiting for outfits from GW1 like Tuxedos! WE GOT DWAYNA! =D
http://asuratime.tumblr.com/

Who is GW2's Gwen?

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

There are a few that spring to mind:

Tybalt. It’s a shame he doesn’t have more room to develop, but he has the most complete story of the characters that lots of people are attached to.

Taimi, potentially. She could go either way. She’s really well liked, but she might become a bit too much of a sympathetic punching bag. The last LS episode dividing players into those who were angry that their player character didn’t side with her (breaking immersion), and those who didn’t actually side with her. Kind of a no-win scenario there that it is unclear if they’ll be able to write back from. They can’t just give her a win later without potentially alienating the people who think she’s a brat, and even then that doesn’t do anything for the players who wanted to side with her.

Heal-o-Tron, again potentially. He’s comic relief, but even done comically, Hero-Tron would be epic in a couple of years. As long as he isn’t centre stage, and just does something awesome in the background now and again, he’s about as close to a cult character as we have. Of course, the joke will wear thin if overplayed.

Who is GW2's Gwen?

Posted by: Iconik.8712

Iconik.8712

Raisin face. /thread

Oh Hey Girl – Troll Thief Extraordinaire Tarnished Coast – www.twitch.tv/iconikk

Who is GW2's Gwen?

Posted by: Bel Geode.8129

Bel Geode.8129

My vote is Kasmeer… Young, beautiful, fallen from grace (or nobility), has self esteem issues, yet most potential to kick kitten when cornered and rise to be something greater than herself.

Did I mention she’s beautiful?

Find Bel Geode- THE Purple Norn on twitch tv.
“Doing The Dailies " Weeknights at 8PM EST.
http://www.twitch.tv/belgeode

Who is GW2's Gwen?

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Belinda Delaqua!

Um.

After it turns she’s been posthumously transfigured into a human-plant hybrid, serendipitously revealing the true origins of the sylvari, of course!

The table is a fable.

Who is GW2's Gwen?

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

ITs my guild “Descendents of GWEN”

Who is GW2's Gwen?

Posted by: DragonWhimsy.6489

DragonWhimsy.6489

Ellen Kiel. She starts off as a minor NPC and becomes far more important than you thought at first.

Who is GW2's Gwen?

Torvic.8256

Perhaps Blubloop and Oopdoop?

Who is GW2's Gwen?

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

I think the answer is obvious.

Runner up: Bloomanoo and Peneloopee

Who is GW2's Gwen?

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Kasmeer. She’s a Mesmer and has a love story. .-.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Who is GW2's Gwen?

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Okay, first . . . examine Gwen as a whole.

Gwen was a child in Pre-Searing Ascalon who followed you through one of the areas and would sometimes heal you for small amounts. She spouted off rather childish dialogue and the only things you could really do were to sink some money into making her happy enough to get a Tapestry Scrap (which at the time had no real use at all).

Far as anyone knew, she was dead since a “Tattered Girl’s Cape” would be located somewhere in Kryta washed ashore. After that there was only one other small hint (“Preserved Red Iris Flower”) which was really odd since you had to search for it in an unlikely and unnecessary side-area.

When she turns up, they try to sell us the idea of Gwen as a mesmer who went from pointless little girl to incredibly talented mesmer . . . by virtue of almost no character development aside from being handed the tools. She’s abrasive and not very likable on her own legs – people liked her primarily because of the nostalgia of “this is GWEN!”.

Later on the writers did a decent job humanizing her back down off the “Sarah Conner” type of character, but I will really always remember her primarily as the annoying girl who turned into a bitter mesmer witch.

That said? . . . too early to tell. I can’t really point at how Gwen became a breakout character other than being some cute girl who was also used to usher in the end of the Beta with fiery death from the sky.

If that’s the case? We don’t have a good analog yet.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Who is GW2's Gwen?

Posted by: circuitnerd.5863

circuitnerd.5863

I’d say Kasmeer also. There is however a child named Gwen running around in Divitinys Reach near one of the taverns.

Certified Gameaholic

Who is GW2's Gwen?

Posted by: Kibazuka.1390

Kibazuka.1390

Guardians, Warriors, Elementalists and Necromancers?

Ranger – Drakkar Lake[DE]
Full melee Ranger since August 2012

Who is GW2's Gwen?

Posted by: Light.7493

Light.7493

Lord Faren
/15 charrs

Who is GW2's Gwen?

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

Kasmeer is a fair possibility. Both characters were involved in a love story. Both are growing up before our eyes. And (unless I skimmed over it) I can’t believe nobody has pointed out that they’re both Mesmers, although that has nothing to do with being a “transcendent figure”.

The proof will come when ANet releases a GW2 expansion. In GW1, they gave us “Eye of the North”, which (intentionally or not) was referred to as “GW:EN”. If Guild Wars 2 releases an expansion called the “Kamadan And Southern-Most Elonian Expanse Missions” then we will know for certain.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Who is GW2's Gwen?

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Faren.

It’s Faren.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Who is GW2's Gwen?

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

[Champion Risen Scarlet]

Lemme fix that:
[Champion Mordrem Scarlet]

Kamadan And Southern-Most Elonian Expanse Rescue Missions

You forgot word Rescue.

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

(edited by FrostSpectre.4198)

Who is GW2's Gwen?

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I hated Gwen…. she just would not shut up!

So I’m going with Traherne. Don’t like him much either >.<

Who is GW2's Gwen?

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

[Champion Risen Scarlet]

Lemme fix that:
[Champion Mordrem Scarlet]

Kamadan And Southern-Most Elonian Expanse Rescue Missions

You forgot word Rescue.

Doh! I was working so hard to be clever, I forgot how to spell. You’re right. The Kamadan And Southern-Most Elonian Expanse Regions. How about that? Or maybe Kaineng needs to be in there?

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Who is GW2's Gwen?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I will really always remember her primarily as the annoying girl who turned into a bitter mesmer witch.

Is it a bad thing that this is part of why I liked her ?

Who is GW2's Gwen?

Posted by: Ignavia.7420

Ignavia.7420

She’s now the basic composition of a WvW zerg.

G uardian
W arrior
E lementalist
N ecromancer

Who is GW2's Gwen?

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I will really always remember her primarily as the annoying girl who turned into a bitter mesmer witch.

Is it a bad thing that this is part of why I liked her ?

No, not really. I liked the adult character for what she was mostly, and in theory it worked for me as someone I could enjoy them working some story around.

But I don’t get how people who played the first game were completely convinced she was the most awesome character in the game. (It’s a personal thing – I similarly don’t get how so many people think Final Fantasy 7 was the bestest one ever, or alternatively how people see Nathan Fillion as overrated.)

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Who is GW2's Gwen?

Torvic.8256

Mad King Thorn?