Who is still waiting for "Guild Halls"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I’ve given up on expecting “Guild” wars to ever return to “Guild Wars”. Though perhaps ‘ever’ is too definitive of a word and I should say that I don’t expect it to return in any fashion for 2-3 years from now.

Seriously, who scraps the entire foundation to and even the name of the game when making a sequel and thinks it is a good idea? ::points at arenanet::

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

Posted by: Phaedryn.3698

Phaedryn.3698

I’ve given up on expecting “Guild” wars to ever return to “Guild Wars”. Though perhaps ‘ever’ is too definitive of a word and I should say that I don’t expect it to return in any fashion for 2-3 years from now.

Seriously, who scraps the entire foundation to and even the name of the game when making a sequel and thinks it is a good idea? ::points at arenanet::

You should give Traihern’s (not sure if I spelled it correctly…the annoying tree dude in the personal story that end up taking over the story…that guy) dialog when you travel to the dream world. He talks about the guilds, and thee guild wars, and how they almost destroyed society. I don’t think we will see a return to that game style any time soon.

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

You should give Traihern’s (not sure if I spelled it correctly…the annoying tree dude in the personal story that end up taking over the story…that guy) dialog when you travel to the dream world. He talks about the guilds, and thee guild wars, and how they almost destroyed society. I don’t think we will see a return to that game style any time soon.

tbh, I really hope there is more lore to either the original war, or give us a GW2 like WW2…or rename the 3 orders as guild…or GVG

Just bring me something so I can understand why they make it named “Guildwars 2” not “DragonWars”

Phaedryn.3698

tbh, I really hope there is more lore to either the original war, or give us a GW2 like WW2…or rename the 3 orders as guild…or GVG

Just bring me something so I can understand why they make it named “Guildwars 2” not “DragonWars”

I understand your point, but I really doubt it will ever happen. PvP is, either, sPvP or WvWvW. They made it quite clear that GvG was viewed as a terrible mistake (lore wise) that should not have occurred.

Posted by: OrianZeta.1537

OrianZeta.1537

Who expected Guild Wars 2 to give a place for guilds to be together? I mean, just because it was one of the most important and iconic features of the last game and the name is th…wah — oh em gee KILLER WHALE QUAGGAN?!

Go back to the gem store, players, your ArenaNet is in control. Have some new town clothing. Here, look at these shiny things. Go back to the gem store, players. Remember: “when it’s ready”.

Joking aside, we’re in month nine here, and guilds aren’t getting any cooler. Player housing, now that is ambitious and would be understandable. I don’t see what the hold-up is here. I could see the reasoning that they shouldn’t be implemented half-way, but it would be 50% better than the 0% we’ve had so far.

-3 guild halls modeled after each Order’s headquarters.
-6 modeled after the towns
-Additional themes from minor races, groups and regions of the world

They’re instances with gobs of useful things to unlock and will inject a lot of renewed interest, guild community and the overall experience. If this isn’t a top priority, it should be, and if it is, could we at least get an update and hear some feedback as to why these are still on the waiting list? Realize how many people have played and already moved on, having never seen something that by most should have been in the game at launch…

StinVec.3621

You’re right, “The Guild Wars”, lore-wise, is a thing of the past, but as a foundation-building game mechanic it was as much “Guild Wars” as the fantastic musical score continues to be in this incarnation of the game. I just find it very disconcerting, not so much due to GW2 not going in the direction I had anticipated or desired it to go in, or of the direction ArenaNet has taken it, but to the extent to which ArenaNet doesn’t seem to actually know what direction they want to take GW2 in. And even from what statements you can dig up of theirs stating what that ‘direction’ actually is for the game, as guarded and vague as they are, we’re not seeing those statements actually realized within the game. Guild Wars 2 feels stuck in ‘limbo’ to me, where it doesn’t know what type of game it is anymore. I attribute this void in direction primarily to ArenaNet seeming to be pulled in two directions. One direction is to allow for the next chapter in the wonderful story of Tyria to write itself into our hearts and to allow the game to grow into the MMORPG it could and should be, and deservedly so. While at the same time there seems to be a darkness that has taken hold of the directional reigns of the game, and from this seat of power it has focused its will toward shunning the destiny of the world of Tyria, and the characters and players in it, in favor of a much less poetic and epic a tale of mediocrity in offerings.

It is probably the writer in me over-dramatizing the situation, but it doesn’t change this feeling I have that there is something foul working its way through ArenaNet, and it’s leaving its sickened slime over much of all that it touches.

:)

Posted by: Dubblebass.8519

Dubblebass.8519

I would like to see both player housing and guild halls…so…/raises hand.

Kieron Asbjorn – 80 Guardian | Saiuri – 80 Elementalist
Xylani – 80 Ranger | Osoroshii – 80 Warrior
GoM [LGG][COI]

Phaedryn.3698

You’re right, “The Guild Wars”, lore-wise, is a thing of the past, but as a foundation-building game mechanic it was as much “Guild Wars” as the fantastic musical score continues to be in this incarnation of the game. I just find it very disconcerting, not so much due to GW2 not going in the direction I had anticipated or desired it to go in, or of the direction ArenaNet has taken it, but to the extent to which ArenaNet doesn’t seem to actually know what direction they want to take GW2 in. And even from what statements you can dig up of theirs stating what that ‘direction’ actually is for the game, as guarded and vague as they are, we’re not seeing those statements actually realized within the game. Guild Wars 2 feels stuck in ‘limbo’ to me, where it doesn’t know what type of game it is anymore. I attribute this void in direction primarily to ArenaNet seeming to be pulled in two directions. One direction is to allow for the next chapter in the wonderful story of Tyria to write itself into our hearts and to allow the game to grow into the MMORPG it could and should be, and deservedly so. While at the same time there seems to be a darkness that has taken hold of the directional reigns of the game, and from this seat of power it has focused its will toward shunning the destiny of the world of Tyria, and the characters and players in it, in favor of a much less poetic and epic a tale of mediocrity in offerings.

It is probably the writer in me over-dramatizing the situation, but it doesn’t change this feeling I have that there is something foul working its way through ArenaNet, and it’s leaving its sickened slime over much of all that it touches.

:)

I think the part I bolded says it best…

As far as housing (be it guild or personal) goes, I thought that was supposed to eventually be the whole point of the “home district” in each racial capital?

StinVec.3621

I think the part I bolded says it best…

As far as housing (be it guild or personal) goes, I thought that was supposed to eventually be the whole point of the “home district” in each racial capital?

Agreed.

Also, I would love to see selective player housing ala Districts of Makathran in Peter F. Hamilton’s Void novels (Dreaming Void, Temporal Void, Evolutionary Void). Divinity’s Reach already screams Makathran to me, which is why I walked around the city for my first three days in-game.
I would love to have a few choices of which section of the city I could choose for where my housing is located. It would really make Home Districts feel more like a home and give more reason to spend time wandering in the gorgeous cities away from just passing back and forth between the Bank and the Post.

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

Guild Halls was one of the nicest things about Guild Wars 1.

Please bring them back, ANet!

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

Allowing duels in guild halls would solve the debate of dueling in WvW. We ran 1v1 and 2v2 all the time in Gw1 to refine builds and strategy. A nice quiet place without a bunch of npc’s spouting the same stuff over and over while I switch up skills or sort through all my loot would be nice too. Give me a guild hall.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

Posted by: SIC.1365

SIC.1365

Guild Hall or player housing? Hmm …
I like it both ways !

Check out my post: Guild-House-Club-House-outside-WvWvW

Posted by: SIC.1365

SIC.1365

Check out my post: Guild-House-Club-House-outside-WvWvW in which I tried to give an example of how it could work.

I made it 2 days ago so some ideas are outdated compared to this post.

Check out my post: Guild-House-Club-House-outside-WvWvW

(edited by SIC.1365)

Posted by: Ferum Flamebender.5910

Ferum Flamebender.5910

Not realty here its just a room to stand in why would you need that? If i am going to be afk all day why be online? If i was going to minly events why not do it with ppl out side of your guild?

UNHEARD OF RIGHT. Guild halls in a game called “Guild Wars” most urealistic thing ever heard of. The Guild Halls in GW was IMO one of the most epic things in the game, we had our own merchants, runesmiths, armorers, weaponsmiths as well as many other things as well as the place for your guild to congregate and hold GUILD ONLY events and such. Totally useless.

No “Guild Wars” is about the story before GW1. You have all of this in the cities and as is ppl do not use the home cities most of the time. You can also as a guild call these work places if needed.
As for these “UNHEARD OF RIGHT” as you call them as a player you have no rights Anet give you the right they want to and can take them away as they feel needed. This is how all online games are even steam is like this.
Just because it was in the first GW game (an non mmorpg game) does not mean it will be in the 2ed GW game. You can make the argument that if something was in an older mmorpg it should be in all the newer mmorpgs too but its a very bad one. Every game is in it self its own game. There may be a tie with a story but its still its own game. If any thing we should be asking for something better then a guild hall not just a copy paste of an out dated game that was not even the same game type.

Untrue. There was a pvp game mode where guild fought eachother → Guild versus Guild

Aetra Ironbender, Rated E for Engineer- [WoT] Warlocks of Tyria- Far Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Not realty here its just a room to stand in why would you need that? If i am going to be afk all day why be online? If i was going to minly events why not do it with ppl out side of your guild?

UNHEARD OF RIGHT. Guild halls in a game called “Guild Wars” most urealistic thing ever heard of. The Guild Halls in GW was IMO one of the most epic things in the game, we had our own merchants, runesmiths, armorers, weaponsmiths as well as many other things as well as the place for your guild to congregate and hold GUILD ONLY events and such. Totally useless.

No “Guild Wars” is about the story before GW1. You have all of this in the cities and as is ppl do not use the home cities most of the time. You can also as a guild call these work places if needed.
As for these “UNHEARD OF RIGHT” as you call them as a player you have no rights Anet give you the right they want to and can take them away as they feel needed. This is how all online games are even steam is like this.
Just because it was in the first GW game (an non mmorpg game) does not mean it will be in the 2ed GW game. You can make the argument that if something was in an older mmorpg it should be in all the newer mmorpgs too but its a very bad one. Every game is in it self its own game. There may be a tie with a story but its still its own game. If any thing we should be asking for something better then a guild hall not just a copy paste of an out dated game that was not even the same game type.

Untrue. There was a pvp game mode where guild fought eachother -> Guild versus Guild

GvG came after GW was out for a time it was not part of GW when it first came out. PvP in GW was very much like Spvp we have in GW2. So the idea of the name of purely because of the story of what happen before GW and now the name of GW2 is about the story of GW. Is it that hard to work out?

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Certain things add to the gameplay while others detract. Imo, player housing would detract from GW2. I don’t want a house to decorate. If I wanted that, I’d play The Sims. Guild halls on the other hand can add to the gameplay, depending of course on its design. A common guild-only gathering place is a strategic boon for prepping for bounties, treks, etc. Also, guild halls can act like they did in GW as a small PvP arena. Also, guild halls could be the place for friendly 1v1 dueling and for planting guild banners so that members can use them. They can have a gold-sink built in via banks, TPs, repairs, guild merchant, etc to be bought to unlock.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

I raise both hands high and will keep them there. Until " " WARS 2 lives up to its name. Think of the possibilities people. If anything it would make the player community stronger and more dynamic.

There are many reasons to have guild halls, but making the community stronger is not one of them. If anything, they will make LA less populated and spread people further out. Hopefully by the time they do player/guild housing they have a LFG tool so it won’t matter that no one is around LA anymore.

So true…Guild Halls will be the death of the community at large in all the cities. I would hate to see that happen.

Personal Housing , however is another matter. That would be something I’d love to see.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Still waiting for Guild Walls, Housing, the browser app, the big Ranger revamp, new reasons & rewards for going back to old maps… essentially all the stuff they talked about doing.
I DO want a house to decorate. I want to be able to build my own dwelling & customize it with tons of items I’ve acquired in my adventures. It’s an awesome end-game that doesn’t just revolve around raising numbers which is supremely boring.

what I’m not that interested in: living story, PvP, bland guild missions, Southsun cove.

(edited by DarksunG.9537)

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

Personally I would rather have both Player Housing (with features like displaying mini’s on a table or weapons in a rack) and Guild Halls.

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

Posted by: earthwormjim.5914

earthwormjim.5914

This is one of those things that seems like a good idea until cities become ghost towns as a result. Then games seem dead and empty.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I’m really mixed on guild halls. They could be great but I fear it would just be like guild missions, something for guilds other than your own. Player housing is interesting and could probably be successfully implemented, but I’d much prefer core game, profession balance, and combat to be addressed before anything as peripheral as guild halls is considered.

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

I dont think it will happen anytime soon…they want you to get out and enjoy the world…not sit in your guild hall with your buddies….

although i am one of the ones who thinks guild halls should have been in the game from the beginning

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I see a guild hall as something that would be a good place for RP guilds and to allow guild members to duel. I can understand the argument that guild halls might reduce the amount of players in the “outside” part of the world but I doubt every guild member would spend all of their playing time inside a guild hall. Also what is the point of having every player in the game hanging out LA when most people are just running past each other anyway? If anything it would reduce lag for some people.

The Burninator

Posted by: Folk.2093

Folk.2093

Guild halls would be a waste of time, all it will do is segregate the community. Lions Arch would be empty and all those funny entertaining things people do in the city would go away.

I pray they never ever implement such a worthless idea.

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

Cities didn’t die in Gw1 because of guild halls.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Certain things add to the gameplay while others detract. Imo, player housing would detract from GW2. I don’t want a house to decorate. If I wanted that, I’d play The Sims. Guild halls on the other hand can add to the gameplay, depending of course on its design. A common guild-only gathering place is a strategic boon for prepping for bounties, treks, etc. Also, guild halls can act like they did in GW as a small PvP arena. Also, guild halls could be the place for friendly 1v1 dueling and for planting guild banners so that members can use them. They can have a gold-sink built in via banks, TPs, repairs, guild merchant, etc to be bought to unlock.

There is a reason the sims sold something like 150 million copies, just saying :P

Also we are talking longevity in a MMO market, so surely an addition like player housing can hardly hurt the game.

Personally I can’t imagine a kitten storm on the forums saying oh no- they added player housing,
I think it would be the opposite actually

Gunnar’s Hold

JustTrogdor.7892

There is a reason the sims sold something like 150 million copies, just saying :P

That’s not a valid argument because you are comparing two different target audiences. I bet there are not many, if any, people playing the sims posting messages that they want to have swords and run around maps slaying monsters and doing dungeons as well as build their cities. Then at the end of a day go into a WvW and start fighting players from other servers.

At the end of they day this game works in a manner to accommodate as many play styles as possible but can never accommodate everyone.

The Burninator

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

There is a reason why “The Sims Online” was a complete failure, just saying.

Morrigan.2809

That’s not a valid argument because you are comparing two different target audiences. I bet there are not many, if any, people playing the sims posting messages that they want to have swords and run around maps slaying monsters and doing dungeons as well as build their cities. Then at the end of a day go into a WvW and start fighting players from other servers.

At the end of they day this game works in a manner to accommodate as many play styles as possible but can never accommodate everyone.

Sure, I have no argument with that and I didn’t bring the sims into this discussion- I was trying to say that many people feel the appeal of having their own space. Personal housing provides this.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Sure, I have no argument with that and I didn’t bring the sims into this discussion- I was trying to say that many people feel the appeal of having their own space. Personal housing provides this.

people also feel the appeal of running and gunning (see call of duty and battlefield sales), however this is an MMO, you have a bank for your personal stuff, everyone having a personal house would take a lot of server space, so is there any valid reason as to why it should be introduced?

Morrigan.2809

There is a reason why “The Sims Online” was a complete failure, just saying.

No idea what that was, I was just trying to say that people enjoy creating a personal space.
It is a way for people to connect to their characters, and if you can actually show trophies of your adventures so much the better.
It is on a more personal level than Guild Halls, that is all

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

Not waiting for guild halls. They are a far-away future maybe and the statement a while ago was none at Anet is working on them, so its not in the cards in 2013.

Morrigan.2809

people also feel the appeal of running and gunning (see call of duty and battlefield sales), however this is an MMO, you have a bank for your personal stuff, everyone having a personal house would take a lot of server space, so is there any valid reason as to why it should be introduced?

ahh.. I was thinking along the original idea that Anet had with the personal instance or whatever you called it.
If that actually expanded and developed according to what you did in game and had your house it would be great. that way you can have your own place but you could customise it, sort of.
I would prefer if we actually had a say but even that would be an improvement

ahh.. I was thinking along the original idea that Anet had with the personal instance or whatever you called it.
If that actually expanded and developed according to what you did in game and had your house it would be great. that way you can have your own place but you could customise it, sort of.
I would prefer if we actually had a say but even that would be an improvementforum bug struck me

Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Morrigan.2809)

JustTrogdor.7892

I’m still waiting for guilt halls. Imagine the possibilities.

The Burninator

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

I would love a home to me Asura.
regardless of housing or guild, I want my home Asura!

I assertions to live under the stars. I want my house!

please arena net! please!

# Asura because I’m worth it!

Posted by: brokenserenity.4638

brokenserenity.4638

You know Southsun Cove could easily be cleared of its pest problem then turned into a nice little place for guildhalls and player housing….just throwing it out there

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

Cities didn’t die in Gw1 because of guild halls.

Cities died like flies in EQ2 because of Guild Halls. That said…if they did enable Guild Halls, at least leave the crafting stations out in the world / cities.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

every is, guild halls will be implemented, isnt also one part of the human main city under construction?

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: Arcanorum Ignis.9218

Arcanorum Ignis.9218

every is, guild halls will be implemented, isnt also one part of the human main city under construction?

Uhhhmmm… No lol.

ANet demolished that area of Divinities Reach (hence the big hole) as they were afraid North Korea might get kitten and launch their nukes if the asian-themed art style of that district didn’t conform to what North Korea wanted it to look like.

See this thread for the ensuing political kittenstorm.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/How-is-getting-rid-of-Cantha-a-universal-representation-of-humanity/page/15#post1977923

Posted by: Xephens.3217

Xephens.3217

Plz Anet, look at the guys over at carbine studios. They are doing a awesome job on player/guild housing in Wildstar. It actually has a purpose having ur own crafting stations, a garden, from a 1 bedroom appartment to a huge mansion with ur own raid portal and much more usefull stuff in it.

Posted by: Jiraiyu.6947

Jiraiyu.6947

It saddens me that Anet is implementing stuff like the living story and new town clothes in the gem store, things that imo isn’t needed!
They should focus on what the players want, which is new armor sets, player housing, dueling and guild halls. In all honesty I love guild wars 2, but I become so frustrated when they focus on things no one wants. I would gladly give up this living story and their philosophy on having a ‘living’ world for guild halls!

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

Meh, not really bothered.

If they do put in guild halls/player housing, it better be on a par with Rift’s Dimensions, otherwise its not worth it.

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

It saddens me that Anet is implementing stuff like the living story and new town clothes in the gem store, things that imo isn’t needed!
They should focus on what the players want, which is new armor sets, player housing, dueling and guild halls. In all honesty I love guild wars 2, but I become so frustrated when they focus on things no one wants. I would gladly give up this living story and their philosophy on having a ‘living’ world for guild halls!

Dont speak for the community…..I personally dont give a toss about dueling, guild halls or housing.

I want more open world content and a WvWvW patch that sorts the issues there.

Posted by: Jiraiyu.6947

Jiraiyu.6947

Dont speak for the community…..I personally dont give a toss about dueling, guild halls or housing.

I want more open world content and a WvWvW patch that sorts the issues there.

As I wrote, it was in my opinion and you obviously have yours. I was merely conveying what I saw most people on this thread wanted and I agreed with them. I’m speaking for myself – we’re all different. I know that many would enjoy player housing, and guild halls. It was great in GW1, it has potential to be amazing in Guild Wars 2. Also agreeing with you, Cameirus, that it should be on par with Rift or Wildstar
Enough said

(edited by Jiraiyu.6947)