Who is this game for?What right way to play?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Well I saw a thread about who the game isnt for.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/This-game-isn-t-for-you

well I have to ask, who is the game for than?

I see threads were people say others are playing the game wrong. I remember seeing this a lot early on after release.

Well whats playing the game right?

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

The right way to play is to ignore the forums and jump into game and do whatever you have fun doing.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

The right way to play is to ignore the forums and jump into game and do whatever you have fun doing.

well I am trying to do what I find fun, but its pretty restricted due to level restrictions which I find to be boring.

So I cant jump in and do what I find fun, if there is a wall I have to chip away at first.

Is that the right way to play?
is that who the game is for?

Posted by: NetherDiver.6079

NetherDiver.6079

RPG’s will have gated content. Your post is pretty vague, so I assume that you want to jump in and do high level content but you can’t because you have to level. This game is for people who like casual progression (people who like RPG’s but don’t have the time to play the game 24/7).

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

The right way to play at the moment is to zerg rush stuff. Wheter it’s dragon bosses or guild bounties, or even karka farming or running through dungeons using exploits and short cuts. You’re not supposed to casually enjoy this game.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

The right way to play is to stop caring about how other people play.

You see people having fun and getting rewards? Don’t say, “Arena should nerf those poopheads”. Instead, say that Arenanet should invest more into catering for you.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

well I am trying to do what I find fun, but its pretty restricted due to level restrictions which I find to be boring.

So I cant jump in and do what I find fun, if there is a wall I have to chip away at first.

Is that the right way to play?
is that who the game is for?

The way you find it fun.
Its for any one who can get out of the “WoW” mind set.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

What do you find fun?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

The right way to play at the moment is to zerg rush stuff. Wheter it’s dragon bosses or guild bounties, or even karka farming or running through dungeons using exploits and short cuts. You’re not supposed to casually enjoy this game.

The trolling is strong with this one. I’ve actually had the most fun casually exploring the huge world on my own by far. I also like to trade and help out people in low level zones and story dungeons. Lots of stuff to do.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

It’s for me

/15charr

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Akhellan.4180

Akhellan.4180

I’ve tried everything the game has to offer and found roaming/exploring solo to be most enjoyable. Mercifully, leveling up can be done fairly quickly in this game; at that point the entire world is available to explore.

If you are the sort that thrives on challenge, you can ignore the levels and just go where you will… Just be aware of the consequences.

So far as I can recall, the dungeons are the only places that have a minimum level requirement for access.

As others have pointed out, it is difficult to fully answer your question without knowing what you are specifically interested in doing.

Posted by: Seveleniumus.5973

Seveleniumus.5973

The right way to play is always the one, you’re having the most fun with, it’s completely subjective.

I fe enjoy most of pve stuff – casual exploration, dynamic events, running dungeons/missions with guildies or just pugs. Sometimes I will enter WvW, if there’s a big event fe, I’m not a big fan of spvp, so I don’t play that mode atm.

Posted by: kenshinakh.3672

kenshinakh.3672

I don’t think there’s a “right” way, but there are “pretty good” ways. There are restrictions to how to can play though, but that’s like all games (It’s not like you can play PacMan and tell him to go immune to the enemies. lol). Just go with the flow. There’s a design flow that encourages players to fall into, and that’s where I find the best enjoyment. Do a bit of everything, sample things, check out whatever you see, and just go with the flow and enjoy.

Posted by: ATC Alpha.4098

ATC Alpha.4098

You need alot of patience and wiki skills to enjoy what the game has to offer imo.

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

The trolling is strong with this one. I’ve actually had the most fun casually exploring the huge world on my own by far. I also like to trade and help out people in low level zones and story dungeons. Lots of stuff to do.

My apologies. I did not intend to troll. I’m merely trying to summarize my non-solo experiences lately. And most of the popular ways of playing seem to include one or more of the above. I’ve actually stopped doing dragon events because they’re no longer fun. If I’m lucky, the lag allows me to just spam auto attack. If unlucky, I barely make bronze reward.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: Alloy.2839

Alloy.2839

Since enjoyment is a matter of personal preference, these are difficult questions to answer exactly. I will attempt a generalized answer based on reading the forums. Who is this game for? In my opinion the PvE content is enjoyable for cooperative (non-competitive), recreational gamers. Gamers who are competitive or desire to have “better” equipment than others tend to be less happy. What is the right way to play? Wandering around doing whatever comes to mind at the moment works well for me. Players wanting the level up/kill tougher enemy/get better loot/repeat forever model tend to feel the game is lacking. Also, the fact that the best items in the game are available through karma and dungeon tokens rather than via open world loot drops takes some getting used to.

Posted by: Wayfinder.8452

Wayfinder.8452

I am very casual when camping Chest Dragons, they give me very good loot for just 1-5 minutes of my time. My favorite Chest Dragon at the moment is the Stutterer.

The right way to play this game is the way you’re gonna play it when you make your first character. Go explore, try to have fun, just look around Tyria. It truely is a wonderful adventure.

Once you get to level 80 and you’ve finished exploring you’ll have to set your own goals. Generally if you want to farm and get better looking or ascended items you’ll most likely do the following every day :

1. Complete daily
2. Kill Chest Bosses

Very Optional :
3. Complete Fractal daily
4. Complete CoF daily
5. Do Guild Missions

If you are a casual player you can just go revisit some content you really liked. The game has a lot to offer if you just want to casually waste time.

The man who can wield the power of this sword can summon to him an army
more deadly than any that walks this earth. Put aside the Ranger.
Become who you were born to be. I give hope to men. I keep none for myself.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

When people say “you’re playing the game wrong” it’s usually referred to people who ask or expected things that weren’t supposed to be the focus of this game, like grinding the same mob/dungeon, obtaining gear through farming instead of token-based system, want to be locked into one role instead of being all 3, want passive combat or threat-tanking mechanics, etc.

You can’t step into a Soccer field on horseback, take the ball around with your hands and demand you get score for shooting it over the crossbeam.
Different games, different audience, different rules.

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

/generic statement on

The “right” way to the play the game is in a way that is fun for you as long as it does not interfere with anyone else’s play in a way that is inconsiderate or breaks the EULA.

The “wrong” way to play the game is to play in a way that breaks the EULA thereby causing your account to be banned.

/generic statement off

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Posted by: Eclipses.7152

Eclipses.7152

This game is for massively PvE oriented players who happen to like a bit of non-impactful, non-consequential, marginally competitive, non-rewarding, depth lacking, scope lacking, purpose lacking PvP.

Now compare that to GW1. This game is NOT the spiritual successor of GW1 at all.

Eclipses
The Royal Guard – http://theroyalguardclan.enjin.com
Isle of Janthir

Posted by: Rifter.6591

Rifter.6591

The right way to play the game is to be casual and only play 1-2 hours a day.

This game is so rigged against players who would prefer to spend 8-12 hours playing a day for 2 days a week and rigged for casuals who play 1-2 hours a day that its just sad.

Play for 24 hours a week in 2 days and get kitten by DR most of the time and get 2 laurels only and only a few world event chests since they reset daily. Play for 7 hours a week but a hour a day and be rolling in ecto’s and have 7 laurels, its like a bad joke that player who plays 3 times less but how Anet wants get huge rewards, player who plays three times more but only over 2 days gets screwed.

There is no “play it your way” involved at all that was a outright lie by the devs because if it was true DR would not be as punishing as it is, and world event chests would not be limited per day. The way it is set up now is very obviously trying to appeal to causals and punish hardcore players.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

This game is for me and people who play like me.

It’s a game for people who don’t look to “level” at all, and accept leveling as a byproduct of everything else you’re doing. I don’t care if I’m ever level 80 because I’m having fun on the journy TO level 80. And I have fun after.

I like to find hidden stuff that’s not all that obvious (like recently discovering the secret room in CM, as an example). I like doing all kinds of stuff, including dynamic events, particularly winning back contested way points. I like going back into a zone to see stuff I’ve never seen before, such as the jumping puzzle/key event in Metrica Province, which I just did for the first time two days ago.

I don’t look at wikis to see where jumping puzzles are. I try to find them by exploring. My wife turns off her map markers altogether and tries to complete zones without knowing where vistas are and were points of interest are. It’s challenging and fun for her.

This game is for people who don’t like gated content that exists in other games. You can’t enter this dungeon because you don’t have stat X. I don’t mind the Fractals because I can see them all without getting special gear. Higher levels are for grinders, and that’s fine. I’m up to level 19 now, and I may never go further, but I’ve had a lot of fun in the fractals. I actually find lower level fractals more enjoyable than higher level ones, because I don’t care about challenge in my play. Life is challenging enough. I play to have fun.

This is how I play Guild Wars 2 and so this game is for me. I’m sure there are other people enjoying other aspects of the game as well. But this game won’t be for everyone which is sort of the point. On the other hand, if you’re a grinder, who only likes better and better gear, this game may not be for you. Fortutately you have many other options.

Players like me don’t.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Well I saw a thread about who the game isnt for.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/This-game-isn-t-for-you

well I have to ask, who is the game for than?

I see threads were people say others are playing the game wrong. I remember seeing this a lot early on after release.

Well whats playing the game right?

The thread you linked is by someone who had some assumptions about the game that were never true, and who is disappointed with some other aspects of the game. The first rule of internet forums should be: don’t put too much stock in other peoples’ opinions, especially those who bought the game without doing any research. The second rule should be: unless someone is offering the results of crunching numbers or reporting a bug, their post is 99% likely to be opinion; and usually it’s better to form your own than rely on those of others.