Who needs junk?

Who needs junk?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372

BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372

Who actually does think it’s a good idea that we are collecting all those junk items that clog up inventory space (and really don’t sell for near as much as to warrant that hassle)? Why is there no option to automatically ignore junk items when autolooting (manually selecting which items to loot IMO is no real option since it requires far too much micro management as well)?

And on a related note: why not give us (significantly) more inventory space (and material storage space) without requiring us to spending gold I’d rather spend for things that make the game more fun to play rather than for things that make the game less annoying to play.
I get it: inventory space is a traditional source of income in MMOs but didn’t GW2 start out to do things differently?
Oh well…

So much left that I wanted to see…

Who needs junk?

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

No their business model has always been based around promoting as many non p2w cash options as possible, this means cosmetics, storage, etc.

In regards to junk, I actually think they should expand it. Remove some of the lvl-80 green/blue drops and just have higher value junk, to make up for salvaging they should make scraps drop more/be a mix of ex. cotton, linen, silk.

What makes this game annoying isn’t junk, its standing by a vendor buying salvage kits and opening bags for 20min just to clean everything up. Junk is easy, “Sell Junk” makes it quick and simple.

Who needs junk?

BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372

No their business model has always been based around promoting as many non p2w cash options as possible, this means cosmetics, storage, etc.

In regards to junk, I actually think they should expand it. Remove some of the lvl-80 green/blue drops and just have higher value junk, to make up for salvaging they should make scraps drop more/be a mix of ex. cotton, linen, silk.

What makes this game annoying isn’t junk, its standing by a vendor buying salvage kits and opening bags for 20min just to clean everything up. Junk is easy, “Sell Junk” makes it quick and simple.

I didn’t say it was the only source of income but you can surely buy inventory space. As to your proposed solution – wouldn’t it be better just to increase the drop rate of gold instead of having to go to merchants and having to manage inventory space?
Junk for me is just part of the annoying inventory management where I find myself spending far too much time interrupting game play to somehow clear out space.

On a related note: I also wished there was a way to prioritize reviving over looting. When I’m running around with a full inventory it often happens that I cannot easily help a downed player that is lying among dead enemies – every time I press the hotkey for interact I only get the message “your inventory is full” and it takes some time to realize I’m not ressing and have to manually select the player I want to help
If there is a way to avoid that, I’d be grateful for a hint.

Who needs junk?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Is there a way to “target nearest player?” I think there is not since there are no targeted heals, but that would help with rezzing. The main solution is to leave enough space in your bags to hold the stuff you’ll get in your play session (not at all easy, I know), and to periodically Deposit Materials to glean a slot or two.

About the junk: When they were developing the game they found that people wanted the junk drops instead of just coinage because otherwise players felt they weren’t getting rewards in combat. So it’s a gaming psychology issue. Personally I kind of like getting the junk drops in my daily four events because they are proof I tagged something enough to get credit for the event … hard in a zerg.

Who needs junk?

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

As the above poster stated, the reason for junk drops is the same reason why they have spirit shard bags, laurel bags, etc instead of just +x currency. Its a gaming psychology when it comes to rewards. The other reason for it is what you have an issue with. It is a subtle way to clog inventory to promote sales on bag slots, bigger bags, and bank slots. It’s a necessary evil in regards to MMOs, love it or hate it.

Who needs junk?

BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372

As the above poster stated, the reason for junk drops is the same reason why they have spirit shard bags, laurel bags, etc instead of just +x currency. Its a gaming psychology when it comes to rewards. The other reason for it is what you have an issue with. It is a subtle way to clog inventory to promote sales on bag slots, bigger bags, and bank slots. It’s a necessary evil in regards to MMOs, love it or hate it.

Well, my – and I suspect other’s – psychology is different then, which is why I would ask for a filter option to ignore junk (something most single player loot-heavy ARPGs have).
As to sales of inventory space – I’d agree that it’s an evil, but I don’t think it’s necessary one; it’s a convenient one, where the usual line of defence is “everyone does is”

Who needs junk?

BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372

Is there a way to “target nearest player?” I think there is not since there are no targeted heals, but that would help with rezzing. The main solution is to leave enough space in your bags to hold the stuff you’ll get in your play session (not at all easy, I know), and to periodically Deposit Materials to glean a slot or two.
[snip]

I noticed there is an option to target nearest ally. I’ll try that.
As to the depositing of materials: again I wonder why there isn’t an option to automatically loot materials into storage…

Who needs junk?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

As to the depositing of materials: again I wonder why there isn’t an option to automatically loot materials into storage…

But there is. Click the little cog wheel in the inventory, select Deposit Materials, and almost all crafting mats will vanish from your bags and appear in your bank, at least until you have a full stack of them in materials storage.

Who needs junk?

BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372

But there is. Click the little cog wheel in the inventory, select Deposit Materials, and almost all crafting mats will vanish from your bags and appear in your bank, at least until you have a full stack of them in materials storage.

Auto-looting materials into storage would be if they went directly into storage without the detour of using up the inventory. So instead of: click to loot, open inventory, click cog wheel, select deposit materials (and hope that none have gone into an invisible bag from there they won’t be deposited); simply: click to loot and be done with it.

Who needs junk?

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

tbh there are junk drops worth hundreds of gold, so i’ll keep them thanks :p

The loot not going straight to deposit is another psychological thing, so you feel you’ve looted some reward.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Who needs junk?

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

The loot not going straight to deposit is another psychological thing, so you feel you’ve looted some reward.

+1 they are a source of income

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Who needs junk?

BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372

Which junk drops exactly are worth hundreds of gold? http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Junk_item

Who needs junk?

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

I’m trying to remember which game from not long ago that used base crafting materials as its primary loot drop, rather then trash or gear. Fundamentally this was a great idea, as it streamlined all the processes of salvage and waste material into something we’d end up doing to it 99.9% of the time anyway.

So it came to a lot of people surprise that the players greatly disliked it…. even when fully aware of the benefits it gave mechanically. Which comes back to the psychology comment. We’ve come to recognize certain rewards to have more then face value by assigning intangible values to it, or how we obtained it.

Case in point, there is no greater feeling in any MMO then getting a lucky drop; or a drop of something we can find immediately useful. Its a feeling of beating the odds, even when the odds are somewhat in our favor to begin with. A system which always drops crafting material suffers, while to our great benefit, has no element of mystery or surprise behind it. In fact, the loot system is about the only place people expect this kind of unreliability to occur.

But there is a pit fall with putting your faith in RNGesus. For RNGesus loves everyone equally….within the standard divination, upon a weighted table, whose miracles are only bestowed upon the edge of the bell curve. When I think of drop tables, I remember that moment in futurama where Bender talks to god about being god…. “if you do too much, people get dependent on you. But if you do nothing, they lose hope. You have to use a light touch; like a safe cracker, or a pick pocket. Or a guy that burns down a bar for the insurance money Yes. If you make it look like an electrical thing.”

This is where I think most MMOs tend to get this wrong. Not enough RNG and not fun. But too much RNG, and people feel like its designed to be impossible. With GW2s, the distribution of “luck” in all things RNG (at least superficially) manages to sit well outside what people expect for the scale we operate in. Its why conspiracies about the drop tables are prevalent as they are…. but whats scary is that a number were well founded. And one, which shattered the trust worthiness of one developer (and the whole team by extension), where the Devs insisted that the complaints were unfounded, and refuted any possible error in the system….. Until one player did ALL the statistical analysis to prove the discrepancy (which Anet could had realistically done internally, and with much higher accuracy); which then prompted the Devs to investigate, and did indeed found a bug affecting the drop tables.

While admitting the mistake was considered professional; their attitude towards the player base (granted, is rather paranoid) when a discrepancy was noticed, and not even having the due diligence to check internally, hurt the credibility of the both the design team, as well as the implementations; and revealed a lack of effective trend analysis within a system they should have complete visibility over.

This latest batch changes to the Shards, and others related crafting resources, to a more RNG driven system, is rightfully putting people on edge. With the game’s tendency to have a rather noticeable disparity of favorable rewards, I can not see this change as being positive in the minds of many.

Who needs junk?

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

Which junk drops exactly are worth hundreds of gold? http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Junk_item

If you save up the stacks you can get lots of gold from the junk items

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Who needs junk?

BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372

If you save up the stacks you can get lots of gold from the junk items

Come on, for junk of tier 1 you’d need 5000 items for 1 gold (that’s 20 stacks!), for tier 2, ca. 1111 (5 stacks) and tier 3, 625 items (3 stacks). Of course the junk will take up much more space in your inventory because there are numerous different items not just one of every tier.
Of course you can argue that I don’t really have to save up the stacks but sell the junk every time I visit a merchant. But then the effect of “wow, I got a lot of money for that stuff” never really materializes because it’s always just small amounts that add over time.

I learned a lot of people like it that way, but still: given the choice I’d like the option to ignore junk on auto-loot (if they added the option of getting gold drops of the same value than the forgone loot, all the better).