Who thought the bandit events were balanced?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Boogiepop Void.6473

Boogiepop Void.6473

Temvay the Arrogant dashes around so much you can barely hit him, Varre the Underhanded puts out so much nearly undodgeable damage that he can wipe a group of 50 before hitting half health, and the list goes on. And that doesn’t even bring me to the Executioner, who can 1 hit most classes regardless of armor. Who thought these were balanced to the level adjustment that we are fighting under? Even with level 80 equipment we are seeing full 50 person squads wiping on these multiple times. The damage output and low dodgeability and rapidity of the damage is insane for how much health we have to work with.

(edited by Boogiepop Void.6473)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Really? I’ve only seen a group wipe once, it is wasn’t 50 players, it was 3.

The Legendaries seem ok to me, they just take awhile (maybe a bit too long and still be fun) to down.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I’ve been alright in most Bandit Boss battles. There’s never really a wipe until the Legendary Executioner, and for me at least, that was during early days. Happens less now since people are cautious and know it’s dangerous.

If you were talking about the Executioners I can understand your point (though still wouldn’t agree), but just the champions? Nah, they’re about right for me. Fairly easy, managed to even duo one of them.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Are you sure you’re not confusing the champion fights with the legendary fight? I’ve been with 5 man groups that handle the champs without anyone ever getting downed, and I’ve been with 30+ man groups that also have little-to-no trouble (some will get downed, but none will die). It’s the legendary fight that kills the most people in my experience.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Oh! I thought OP was talking about the Legendaries.

No, I’ve never had much trouble with the Champions; never seen a wipe, or anything. They go down pretty fast.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

That dashing about is annoying, yes. I have to stick to ranged attacks and swap to melee on the rare occasions the bandit is stunned.

I have noted, though, that the dashing bandits seem to pick just one person to always dash towards if that person is in range. I noticed this by dint of being that unlucky target a couple of times. Or lucky — it meant I could predict exactly where the bandit was going, sidestep enough not to get hit, and then beat them up, rinse and repeat. I could even steer them away from charging clumps of other players (while steering them to stay in range of the other attackers).

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

The champions are easy. They are just as hard, if not a little easier, than the champions in HoT maps which is perfect imo. I can understand how the first time you fight them could be frustrating because of the new mechanics, but other than that the fights are pretty straightforward. Same thing for the legendary bandit but the fight is a bit more annoying because he just has annoying mechanics

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

On the legendary I like to be outside the bubble and tag the boss when I can while otherwise picking off the spellcasters. That helps others because the spellcasters are the source of those big orange circles of doom as far as I can tell, so locking them down and taking them out of the fight gives everyone a lot more room to maneuver. When the boss trots outside the bubble I pounce on the boss. I have noticed the boss is usually outside the bubble at the end of the fight, and gotten the F stomp more than once by paying attention. Since I don’t PvP it’s nice to see my finisher go off.

Posted by: DrLuigi.3764

DrLuigi.3764

If you’ve seen a group of 50 wipe on any of these that group should seriously uninstall…and I never say that.

There was about 12-15 of us last night take down the legendary. We had the occasional person wipe but nowhere near a wipe. This was 12-15 random people….wiping with 50, I don’t even…

Posted by: Noschiii.6819

Noschiii.6819

I actually like and prefer this difficulty. I’m used to new mechanics through HoT and like that Gw2 is more than just Skill1 smashing. And using dagger + horn as Tempest (close range) wasn’t a big problem to me yet.
I really hope Anet sticks to this kind of fights (maybe not so long lasting, but a bit difficulty with it).
Also compared to other mobs the Legys seem to have some brain cells. I still love the toxic Assasins because they fight “more tactical” or at least look like that.

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

If you’ve seen a group of 50 wipe on any of these that group should seriously uninstall…and I never say that.

There was about 12-15 of us last night take down the legendary. We had the occasional person wipe but nowhere near a wipe. This was 12-15 random people….wiping with 50, I don’t even…

That’s unfair to say. Just because a group of people died to a boss, they should never play GW2 again? I don’t see it affecting your successful fights against the bosses…

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’ve been in one battle and witnessed several. If anything, the Champions suffer from the same issues most Anet bosses in persistent world suffer from. They’ve only got 3 or so moves, and just repeat them over, and over, and over. Add in high health pools and/or high toughness and they’re more of a slog than a fight.

The 4-5 Champions I’ve watched my friend fight seem to all have at least one move in common. Resource saving at its finest, I suppose. I guess if that’s what it takes to get something new, then so be it.

The fight I took part in was vs. an Executioner in Kessex Hills. The only complaint I had was the stupid circle that I stumbled into unknowing. I’d swear I didn’t see the stupid thing, though even if I had I wouldn’t have known what it was. The other players there kept the Legendary outside the circle most of the time, so I didn’t actually get to fight him 60% of the time. It wouldn’t hurt my feelings if this mechanic went away. There were people getting downed repeatedly in the circle. Getting them up was “interesting” with the Bandit Fire Ele’s dropping AoE every ten seconds or so.

As to the OP’s complaint. I can’t swear I’ve seen those particular bosses. Of the ones I have seen, I’ve see nothing like what the OP claims. My friend has gotten dropped a few times,mostly from the Shadowstep move. The AoE Line move he seems to be able to strafe out of most of the time. I did notice he has had aggro most of the time. Not bad for a mostly exotic glass Ranger/Druid using LB/Staff.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I agree with IndigoSundown: the bandit champs are dull; not particularly difficult. I need to pay a lot more attention to fight them than your standard Core Tyria bosses, but they aren’t harder imo than Hero Challenge bosses (or others) in HoT.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: King Cephalopod.7942

King Cephalopod.7942

Most of the champs are just dull but easy, and executioner I found really fun, but Varre the Underhanded was just wack. His AoE’s did 236 damage per tick when I had full ascended soldiers on my guard (wvw gear cuz lazy/noob rezbot; ~1800 max hp at the downscaled level), ticked around twice per second (running across a 120 radius circle caused 5 ticks), applied confusion stacks at passive 10 damage per tick, and the projectiles for those AoE’s were non-reflectable/absorbable and nearly instant. Compared to the other champs it was really, really odd. Not really difficult since everyone could still rez-zerg (edit- and superhero dodgeroll) while he was kept in combat to avoid resetting, but far more likely to kill than any others.

And it has to be remembered that there will be newer players with characters actually around the levels of the champs who decide to try the event because they find it like any other event. Should they be faceroll? Certainly not, but they probably shouldn’t instagib people equipped for that level, around the skill expected from a new player that reached that level. I’d prefer that kind threat be mostly reserved for higher-level zones (~40+?).

A little savagery now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Don’t cry, Signet of Mercy. Others may forget you, but I will always remember.
Our deficiencies may be overcome by practice and self-discipline.

Posted by: Boogiepop Void.6473

Boogiepop Void.6473

Apparently the trick with Varre is to get in close to him, which reduces all his damage and knockups to reasonable levels. Unfortunately, there is 0 in-game indication of this, so everyone was instead trying to stay away from him after seeing some people get hit with his skills due to the assumption that being near him would cause the usual “no melee zone” issues and get them hit with even more damage. The combination of a completely untelegraphed mechanic and expectations resulted in turning a boss that actually isn’t too bad into a massive pain in the multiple wipes. It wasn’t until someone random chimed in with the information, gained from outside sources, that we closed in and piled on to easily kill him.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

They seem more boring than balanced or unbalanced. Fairly typical.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Temvay the Arrogant dashes around so much you can barely hit him, Varre the Underhanded puts out so much nearly undodgeable damage that he can wipe a group of 50 before hitting half health, and the list goes on. And that doesn’t even bring me to the Executioner, who can 1 hit most classes regardless of armor. Who thought these were balanced to the level adjustment that we are fighting under? Even with level 80 equipment we are seeing full 50 person squads wiping on these multiple times. The damage output and low dodgeability and rapidity of the damage is insane for how much health we have to work with.

Ranging the champs makes them pretty easy. Which just stresses the point behind https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Why-is-everything-so-unfriendly-to-melee/

I haven’t seen a wipe on any of these events though. Not to say it doesn’t happen. I know people have gotten kill-stomped by the Executioner, so there’s definitely a danger element there.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

I haven’t read all the posts above, but most of them and you’re not taking into account that these bosses appear in low lvl zones and many players participating may not be lvl 80, geared as well as u, or hardened by HoT. For those players that are on lvl, this battle would be extremely hard and they probably get 1 shot by any of these champs if hit, let alone the executioner. Give a bit of thought eh?

There are lot of new players in this game, first timers and ur all talking about as if everyone is max lvl and has experienced the end game content and so forth. Imo for those lvl zones and ppl trying to fight these bosses on lvl. they’re way op for them.

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

I haven’t read all the posts above, but most of them and you’re not taking into account that these bosses appear in low lvl zones and many players participating may not be lvl 80, geared as well as u, or hardened by HoT. For those players that are on lvl, this battle would be extremely hard and they probably get 1 shot by any of these champs if hit, let alone the executioner. Give a bit of thought eh?

There are lot of new players in this game, first timers and ur all talking about as if everyone is max lvl and has experienced the end game content and so forth. Imo for those lvl zones and ppl trying to fight these bosses on lvl. they’re way op for them.

That’s a good point. Some of the bandits were in Brisban Wildlands, yes? That’s a 15-25 level zone, so that’s a huge disparity. Guess they just chose the zones based on where it would make sense for these bandits to be hanging out in, regardless of the zone’s level.

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

Posted by: Zet.9130

Zet.9130

The Champs are annoying with too few people. and…I’ve killed the Legendary Executioner twice, both long and extended fights . One time I got 7 Sticks of Butter the 2nd time I got the exotic widget -meh. I’ll continue to kill the Champs but I’m a leaver if an Executioner pops, it’s bad design and not worth my time. If you are going to call a Boss “Legendary” the drop should be more than 7 Sticks of Butter. Anet really?? Butter??

Posted by: Evon Skyfyre.9673

Evon Skyfyre.9673

I think events like this are hard to plan. Do they plan it for small, medium or large groups? Okay let’s try all 3 .. no fun for devs.

That said, the bubble was a bit annoying when fighting the legendary champions. If we can shoot through it why have it? Made no sense to me.

Khisanth.2948

The Champs are annoying with too few people. and…I’ve killed the Legendary Executioner twice, both long and extended fights . One time I got 7 Sticks of Butter the 2nd time I got the exotic widget -meh. I’ll continue to kill the Champs but I’m a leaver if an Executioner pops, it’s bad design and not worth my time. If you are going to call a Boss “Legendary” the drop should be more than 7 Sticks of Butter. Anet really?? Butter??

Tyria’s bandits are known for their love of butter.

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

HP sponges with irritating repetitive mechanics.

Balanced? Dunno.

But badly designed? Oh yes. Horrible. Just horrible.

Posted by: Onlysaneman.9612

Onlysaneman.9612

Indeed, these could be pretty tricky fights for lower levelled players without proper gear and traits- much like how the twisted watchwork bosses could be a real challenge for those under-prepared for them. However, I have to disagree about the overall difficulty of the bosses themselves. I more or less solo’d one of the champs- there were odd bits of additional help, but most of them got one or two-shot and had to run back or gave up- and almost took down the executioner when I was the only one marked, and his sole target for most of the fight. Granted, I may play a somewhat tankier than usual warrior, but I also have the reflexes of roadkill, so I have to dispute the fights being that difficult.

Posted by: Kron.6938

Kron.6938

Varre the Underhanded, has just wiped out over 20 people that came to fight it, it was first at 4 people, which shouldnt have had a scaling issue. But those attacks… It would be nice to see anet review some of the bandits regarding their damage or update their tool tips.

Kron [TEST]

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

There is one bandit event that is incredibly difficult. I have extensive experience in games that require incredibly quick reaction time, dodge-rolling, etc., and yet I can’t react fast enough when this one bandit launches his spikes at me. His name may have been Varre the underhanded.

Anyway, there’s no way to tell when he is about to launch the spikes at you, so you basically have to guess when he’s about to do it. And if you see that you’re about to get attacked, you have about half a second of reaction time to dodge. That doesn’t really make sense that the boss can be this difficult in a level 20 area.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: CaelestiaEmpyrea.2617

CaelestiaEmpyrea.2617

They aren’t too difficult to do, but they are too difficult to have fun doing them. ALL the bandit Champs have about 3x too much health , and the Executioner just takes FOREVER to kill. Long boss fights aren’t fun, especially with the VERY poor rewards that these give. I’ve gotten all the achievements related to bandit bosses, so now I avoid their spawn points. It’s just not fun.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Agree ^. After getting my achievements for these I haven’t felt any inclination to do them again. The mechanics are very much simplistic and repetitive.

Posted by: Reverielle.3972

Reverielle.3972

I think the Champions are okay; once you learn how they fight and adapt your own style they’re mostly not a problem.

The Legendary though; it has far too many hit points. It’s a long boring battle.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I don’t know about balanced but I have enjoyed these encounters. Don’t think I would want.to do them with a character at level for the zone though.

Khisanth.2948

Anyway, there’s no way to tell when he is about to launch the spikes at you, so you basically have to guess when he’s about to do it. And if you see that you’re about to get attacked, you have about half a second of reaction time to dodge. That doesn’t really make sense that the boss can be this difficult in a level 20 area.

It’s easy to tell since he uses it more or less constantly. They suffer from the same problem pretty much every other mob in GW2. They have a very small pool of skills and either they use 1 hard hitting attack constantly or they use 1 very weak skill constantly which is the determining factor in their difficulty.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

After playing through more of these fights, the scaling is pretty bad on the champions. I’ve seen 5 player groups take down the champions faster than some 20 person groups can, and the executioner is a rather boring fight. But they are balanced fights.

Posted by: Changer the Elder.2948

Changer the Elder.2948

Executioner has horrible scaling and the bandit bosses who just spam perma-evade are hardly any fun, but besides that, I do enjoy them being a bit more challenge.

Posted by: Ophidia Moonstone.2587

Ophidia Moonstone.2587

I died with many of these bosses when Bounty first started. I rarely die now I have become accustomed to it, and usually because I didn’t wait for more than two or three people to show up, once there are 4 it is pretty doable. I might have to rez a few people repeatedly, but it gets done. I am a pretty tough skinned by design (Reaper with valk ascended), but I am not the only person surviving most of these encounters. I am glad it isn’t really easy and almost pointless… when the Executioner shows up it often wipes, but it is designed to be that way.

Posted by: Ophidia Moonstone.2587

Ophidia Moonstone.2587

Tyria’s bandits are known for their love of butter.

And onions, you will always find onions growing around bandit camps…lol

Posted by: Leaa.2943

Leaa.2943

The issue with this event is that people lying dead on the ground not respawning. Then people try to ress them because apparently it is very hard to not push that button and then they die too since the legendary focus downed people to finish them off. Now we have two dead players on the ground not respawning. 3 more will die to this and now we have a upscaled boss with 5-10 players dead on the ground watching the others. This is were i just leave, because i am not going to bounce around staying alive (and yes it is easy to avoid the damage and the attack they do if you pay attention) fighting a upscaled legendary boss whilst people are to lazy to respawn. THIS is why the events mostly fails.

If people respawn then they are dead and run back (waypoint mostly half a min away) and the people in circle stop trying to ress dead people, the event would not fail as much. If you really want to be inside of the circle it is easy to get inside. You can use blinks to get inside or a messmer can use portal. But you can also respawn and fight from the outside, and the best thing you can do then is to help the people stay alive inside if they are few by killing the mages that spawns and even help buffing that player if there is only one or two.

Posted by: keramatzmode.1906

keramatzmode.1906

I solo’ed Temvay and Varre. Temvay’s attack telegraph are easy to notice and its patterns are easy to memorize. I’m on engineer with juggernaut and condi cleanse though experience may differ. Varre is super easy if you get ranged weapons. Literally just circle him to death, maybe one or two of his mobs will be a nuisance but you can tank it with heal. Circle in one direction and just AA.
I’m bad at this game, I’m pretty darn sure 90% of the game population plays better than me and the champs are pretty easy and boring.
The problem with Varre mostly is because people aren’t gud enough to walk SIDEWAYS. Probably scrubs who use the old rotate moving control instead of strafing. And group up in a single spot at melee range and thinks he’s tanky enough to eat his black powder bombs.

For executioner, yes I would agree they do give a kittenallenge but they are legendary ranked boss so I would say they are properly designed. Though there are still people who wont break her/his bar when finishing due to negligence to learn about mechanics.