Who uses repair canisters?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kite.2510

Kite.2510

IMO it’s the most useless item in the store, and I stockpile the ones I get for free (dayllys, story rewards, and ocasional mystic chest) in my bank.

There are repairmen even in dungeons and they only charge a few silvers to repair everything. Why should I spend real money to buy those?!

…and don’t be toxic!

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

what?

dude, it’s like canned 12 silver. i just carry them around until something breaks (not damages, breaks), then use it for a free repair on the fly. it’s great for saving time.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: carson yuen.6739

carson yuen.6739

you don’t buy them on purpose…. at least no one sane would do so…

you get them sort of as a bonus from opening BLC or from daily/map completion.

Posted by: Cancer.9065

Cancer.9065

what?

dude, it’s like canned 12 silver. i just carry them around until something breaks (not damages, breaks), then use it for a free repair on the fly. it’s great for saving time.

This.

Cancer is also a Zodiac sign.

Posted by: Reevac.1748

Reevac.1748

A few times. Now that I have Dungeon master Title not so much. When I was learning dungeons with my guild I used them… especially in Arah.

Posted by: Polle.6908

Polle.6908

To OP

You occasionally get these as rewards and trust me….. When you die a few times in WvsWvsW, dungeons or exploring, it’s gonna save you alot of silver. I highly doubt many people actually buy these but calling them useless is like saying deodorant cans are useless because there are showers at home and you can get rid of your smelly BO in there instead.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

I wouldn’t buy them. But I don’t throw them away. So I guess to me they’re worth more than an empty inventory slot.

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

Depending on who I play that day, I bring my Canisters with me everywhere. Same with my Banker, Trader, and Rez Orbs. Then when I’m done for the day, I toss them back in the bank for whoever I decide to play next time.

They come in handy quite a bit. If I find myself dying a lot, I don’t bother with repairs till something breaks. Then I whip out the ol’ Repair Canister to save myself a lot of coin. If I’m in a major event or doing something far away, and I die, I pop a Rez Orb. Saves me from having to run all the way back and waste money rezzing at a waypoint.

Those little things might seem useless to some, but in the long run, they are extremely helpful.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: drifter.8453

drifter.8453

I do as much as I can. Anet has to many coin sinks all over the game. When I am on a squishy alt, I fold in half quickly in some case’s. So now I have to repair.

Looks at map

only repair point is WAY over there. “2s and 15 copper to that waypoint. huh?”

I’m not wasting 2s just to go way over there, which is the closest waypoint from where I am at now, then pay whatever price it will cost me to repair ontop of that.

See a pattren here? I wish we had a lot more places to get repairs at. I dunno every major waypoint should have one. or better yet lower the cost of waypoints.

I noticed if you are on a character that is the required level of the zone you are in, waypoints are not that high at all. But if you are on a level 80 character in a 30-40 zone, sure you get auto adjusted but that waypoint that was 77copper being on a 30-40 character is now 2s and 20 copper being on a level 80 character that got autoadjusted to the proper level of the zone.

If you are going to autoadjust my level then the waypoints should not increase in value just because I am on a higher level character of the zone. I also should not have level 30-40 loots mostly, just because I am on a level 80 character.

Is the main reason why I use repair canisters.

Posted by: Wasselin.1235

Wasselin.1235

I’m saving all the free ones I’ve run across for when I really need it. So far I haven’t used any.

“Please find my dear friends… Dead or Alive” -redmakoto

Posted by: Shamurai.5976

Shamurai.5976

Agreed with above posters… I don’t buy any of those boosters but when I’ve felt comepelled to buy some gems to open up the piles of chests I’ve got sitting in my bank I get a few. As a life long dungeon PuG’er for every MMO I’ve ever played.. sometimes, well your team isn’t so good, and multiples wipes happen. One canister = MUCH savings, and a revive orb can be a HUGE benefit if everyone wipes and the aggro moves away… You can SINGLE handedly raise all our team and seem like some kind of HERO (LOL). I’ve not used bankers/ traders in the field but that is a pretty good idea!

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

umm if you’re leveling up you prob’ly never need to repair, just replace it.

There’s enough gear that’s only copper pennies more than its resale/salvage value.

Posted by: Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

I’d much rather be sitting on a stack of them than on the many stacks of tonics i get. I need to repair my armour way more frequently than I feel the need to transform into something random.

Posted by: main character.5460

main character.5460

Wait until a piece goes red, use (free from daily/map completion) canister in dungeon, save 12s.

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

i use them especially when I am doing a dungeon

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: douceline.2741

douceline.2741

I love these things. I let armour wear build up to the max and then use one of these and it saves a LOT of grief and gold.

Posted by: rgrwng.4072

rgrwng.4072

i have 6 of them canisters, but i just buy/prep a second or third set of armor, instead. can always swap armor out on respawn, and continue on.

still used to Guild Wars armor management – set for farming, set for missions, etc.

Posted by: Debsylvania.7396

Debsylvania.7396

I have a stack I’ve gotten as rewards. I can see where they would come in handy. I would probably never buy them from the gem store, though.

Deb ~The Chewbacca Defense [TCD];
Waiting For Death [WFD]
@ Borlis Pass Server

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

I’ve collected around 25 or so. They’re not worthless if you get them for free and if you’re opening chests, they’re a lot more useful than the gathering tools.

I use about 1 a month and at my current rate, I’m pretty sure I’ll never have to pay to repair again.

Posted by: Rannulf.9417

Rannulf.9417

Wut? go do dungeons and you’ll see how much repair costs, 12-15s for each repair so they are not worthless. I wish i had more of those buggers.

OP must be high.

(edited by Rannulf.9417)

Posted by: MajorMelchett.6042

MajorMelchett.6042

Free from drops = very good and basically a free 12 silver.
From the store = one of the most useless things on it as it costs more than half as much to repair via a vendor even when including travel costs.

Zilori: Guardian – Desolation.
Zarturo: Elemental – Desolation.

(edited by MajorMelchett.6042)

Posted by: Ravenblade.7685

Ravenblade.7685

IMO it’s the most useless item in the store, and I stockpile the ones I get for free (dayllys, story rewards, and ocasional mystic chest) in my bank.

There are repairmen even in dungeons and they only charge a few silvers to repair everything. Why should I spend real money to buy those?!

Hmmm, is this a veiled “I never die!” or a veiled “Hello, my name is Bill Gates and I own 27.82bn gold!” kind of boast ?

In either case it’s free silver handed to you. Indirectly.

Siqqa, Asura Engineer

When I’m playing WvW I’m really playing LSD.

(edited by Ravenblade.7685)

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

I’d love to see metrics on the gem store sales.

The only things I personally have bought with gems (Transmuted gold) has been bank slots, and the halloween mini’s (x2 since I wanted the chainsaw skeleton).

I’m sure they have sold the keys and lots of the costume stuff.

I wonder if they sell any of the rest of the stuff however.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

use then in one of the cof explo path where you have to graveyard run it to keep the asura alive.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’d love to see metrics on the gem store sales.

The only things I personally have bought with gems (Transmuted gold) has been bank slots, and the halloween mini’s (x2 since I wanted the chainsaw skeleton).

I’m sure they have sold the keys and lots of the costume stuff.

I wonder if they sell any of the rest of the stuff however.

Exactly what I was going to say.

It’d be really interesting if Anet released some sales figures for the gem store. They’ve obviously sold a lot of minis because a lot appear on the TP and you can’t get them anywhere else but so much of the other stuff is soulbound and ‘invisible’ to other players (no way to see that someone has/is using it) that it’s impossible to know if it’s being bought or not.

I suspect everyone would get some surprises if they did let us see what they’ve been selling.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

To OP

You occasionally get these as rewards and trust me….. When you die a few times in WvsWvsW, dungeons or exploring, it’s gonna save you alot of silver. I highly doubt many people actually buy these but calling them useless is like saying deodorant cans are useless because there are showers at home and you can get rid of your smelly BO in there instead.

that’s the PERFECT metaphor.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

I have a few saved and will keep them for when I run out of money (probably never) or have max level gear and repairs will cost a lot.

I have enough bank inventory space, but won’t carry them in my backpack.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I save mine for if I am low on cash or for certain places where you CAN’T repair your gear the normal way. “What certain places are these?” you might ask. Think back to the halloween labrynth – there was no repair guy there. So, think towards the furture not JUST the present because you just never know what may be added to the game.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

Thats like the only thing I get stoked for when I get it out of a chest. I especially like them for WvW because I really hate that the need to repair is quite common in it. So when I do my monthly 50 WvW kills I don’t waste a lot of money if I die a lot.

Posted by: Ruggy.7819

Ruggy.7819

I have 30 or so of these left after the halloween binge on lion chests.. I primarily wvw in this game, I am going to be able to go on for ages without paying a single copper for repairs… good stuff imo

Posted by: Masher.8051

Masher.8051

I used mine during the Halloween event, i died a couple times when i wondered off in the Mad king’s Labyrinth on my own. saved me a few silver.

Posted by: AuroraFlare.1682

AuroraFlare.1682

I bought one once, which I kind of regret…at least gems were cheaper back then…

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

beg your pardon? If you are not after the karma armors, these are probably the most useful rewards you can get – though certainly not worth real life money to me.

Posted by: Qelris.6901

Qelris.6901

what?

12s? It repairs every items? I’ve been thinking it’s only one ever since I got my first one.

I’m only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Posted by: Nyaochan.1756

Nyaochan.1756

I…usually forget that I even have the few I’ve gotten from chests or dialies…heh. I guess it’s just kind of ingrained to just use the repair person…

Posted by: Finaldeath.1059

Finaldeath.1059

I have like 8 of them but always forget to use them.

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

I keep forgetting to use them, to be honest.

Posted by: zOMGREI.2413

zOMGREI.2413

I’m saving all the free ones I’ve run across for when I really need it. So far I haven’t used any.

I say this as someone that does the same thing:

You’re never going to use them.

I do the same thing in every game I play, whether it’s grenades, potions, or something like these repair canisters. I tell myself: “Oh, I’ll save this for when I really need it”, but that time never comes. Half of my inventory in RPGs usually ends up being potions or some type of useful consumable since I’m always afraid to use them.