Why 80 players?

Why 80 players?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

By now we all know that at PAX it was revealed how Tequatl will become a “raid boss” of sorts. What gets to me though is the requirement of 80 players minimum to succeed.

This got me wondering, why did ANet push for such a crazy amount? I mean, in theory all open world boss fights will undergo the same restructuring, which is great. However, how will this work. If 50 players take on Teq, they’ll fail. Moreover, he actually leaves now and we also don’t know how his timer will function.

I guess the battle will be made available in the LFG tool, but we’re still not sure how exactly it works. Can you apply for the event and be thrown into a group with random 5 players?

All I want to know is, with so many players needed, how will ANet allow players to fill that quota when the boss appears?

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

I’m laughing so hard at this. I can barely get 20 people for Teq on a good day. How can Anet expect me to gather 80 people on a server that barely has that many? Please Anet, for the love of all that is good in this game, think when you come up with new ideas for raids/dungeons/pve! Think about the servers with a low population that probably don’t even have 80 people on them.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Why 80 players?

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

By now we all know that at PAX it was revealed how Tequatl will become a “raid boss” of sorts. What gets to me though is the requirement of 80 players minimum to succeed.

This got me wondering, why did ANet push for such a crazy amount? I mean, in theory all open world boss fights will undergo the same restructuring, which is great. However, how will this work. If 50 players take on Teq, they’ll fail. Moreover, he actually leaves now and we also don’t know how his timer will function.

I guess the battle will be made available in the LFG tool, but we’re still not sure how exactly it works. Can you apply for the event and be thrown into a group with random 5 players?

All I want to know is, with so many players needed, how will ANet allow players to fill that quota when the boss appears?

The LFG tools looks like it would work close to the same way it does in GW1.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Why 80 players?

Posted by: EpicHedgehog.1754

EpicHedgehog.1754

80ppl = my CPU melted…Please ANET, before you do this, optimise the game so it uses more of our video cards and less from our CPU, or we will watch some kind of powerpoint slideshow of Tequatl when we fighting it!

Not good at english ^^

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

If Teq will require 80 i loath to think what a revamped Jormag would take

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

2000?

Why 80 players?

Posted by: CeNedro.7560

CeNedro.7560

Hopefully failing the event will trigger an anternative questchain to complete the quest with other defaults.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’m laughing so hard at this. I can barely get 20 people for Teq on a good day. How can Anet expect me to gather 80 people on a server that barely has that many? Please Anet, for the love of all that is good in this game, think when you come up with new ideas for raids/dungeons/pve! Think about the servers with a low population that probably don’t even have 80 people on them.

They expect people from lower activity servers to guest to higher activity servers, so they can shove some of the server “residents” into overflow.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

you’ve got a great point there OP.

If we were to believe that this game wasn’t end game oriented, or that you don’t have to rush to the end or the fallacy that Anet did it differently in saying but not actually making the game require max level to enjoy it or completely forgetting that they wanted to include the entire world originally by adding permanent new content and having downscaling to zones in the first place, then they’d make these types of things happen in zones that are not level 80 and don’t require exotic gear to participate in.

By making it harder they might just be reinforcing that problem.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

They expect people from lower activity servers to guest to higher activity servers, so they can shove some of the server “residents” into overflow.

‘Guesting’ is more of a band-aid than a solution. I guested, only once, to another realm to complete Flame & Frost when the secret messages weren’t spawning on my realm. Guesting was horrible and felt more like a cheat code or exploit than an intended game mechanic. I WILL NEVER GUEST TO ANOTHER REALM AGAIN!

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Anet has a heart-on for doing zerg content that likes to melt computers for some reason, who knows.

They should’ve made the difficulty require about 20 people then just scale it up from there if more people join……

Why 80 players?

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

ARE YOU SURE O_O?

Gods, time to rush and do it the first days or spend the rest of the life begging for help.

I mean, is great the event support a lot of people but c’mon! How many people are going to do it after a few months?

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

It’ll work for now, but in the long run when numbers drop due to other content, I hope they rethink this and lower the required numbers.

So what, they do another zerg fest living story release down the road and those of us that do world bosses as our daily game and don’t like zerging are basically left with no game? Excuse me while I go solo another world boss, but at least (in some cases) it can be done when most everyone is off zergling the latest content farming boon and only pop in at the very last moment to collect their hard earned rewards. Oh look, another guy came in at the last ten seconds and claimed his precursor…

Or give us some long instanced high-end content raids, not that I’m any fan of instancing. But in the end, I think the masses will return to the most kitten easy farming available to them while the rest of us craving a challenge will have a rude awakening.

Remember Orr? Remember Southsun? Currently for some people, boss encounters are a significant part of the game, I don’t want to see this part of the game abandoned too.

(edited by Daywolf.2630)

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Neve.7134

Neve.7134

What chu guys didnt see is that Tequatl on the live stream was not an Event like others but a Living story event with the star so I think this new Tequatl will stay only for that living story time and Maybe 80 players are affordable if they give us 1 month. Even if we gather in just one server to do it.
Hope btw do play it because lag will be huuuuUuuuuuUuUuUuuuuge like quaggan said

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

What? Um, where’s the source for this “you need 80 people to beat Tequatl” statement?

Why 80 players?

Posted by: g e o.2589

g e o.2589

What? Um, where’s the source for this “you need 80 people to beat Tequatl” statement?

That’s what Dulfy said, but I think she meant 80 total noobs who only know autoattack.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

Anet expect 99.99% of their player base to have high end pcs…… or laptops….

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Dromar.1027

Dromar.1027

90% of what I see here is pure speculation. All we know is Tequatl will have an 80 player cap and be reworked to a much higher difficulty. The real question is will it be a separate instance or will the encounter be walled off so other people on the map cant join.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

2000?

I’d say over 9000

Why 80 players?

Posted by: kossman.8206

kossman.8206

omg… months ago were countless posts about how the dragons were too easy… Anet listened to us…

sighs I knew this post would come…

One extreme to the other…. As usual….
And to think… you havent even tried it yet….

/troll on

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

http://dulfy.net/2013/08/31/gw2-pax-anniversary-bash-coverage/

“Need more than 80 players who are over L65+ and well geared.”

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Can you just imagine fps during this fight the first time he appears? Everyone will be in under 10fps and we’re supposed to dodge stuff? were they even thinking for a sec or just release “content everyone been asking for”?

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Why 80 players?

Daywolf.2630

omg… months ago were countless posts about how the dragons were too easy… Anet listened to us…

sighs I knew this post would come…

One extreme to the other…. As usual….
And to think… you havent even tried it yet….

/troll on

No, it’s just out of balance, dude.

Also someone mentioned that they didn’t know if it was living world or instanced. It’s obviously living world. They are revamping, not creating additional content. An instance would be new content while the old removed. Or you think it logical that the same dragon is fighting at two locations at the same time? Doesn’t seem to be to me.

Only thing I can think of is slowing down the spawn timer, or at least at some point. It won’t matter early on, as many players wander from new content to new content. But at times like this when you are usually looking at 20-50 during peak, Teq happening less often will mean more players during each time slot. Not ideal but doable.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: kossman.8206

kossman.8206

What? of course its living story… You can see it in the video….

And out of balance?

It was definitely unbalanced before.. This is their answer.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Where did you pull the number 80 from? I watched the live stream footage from yesterday and I’m pretty sure they said they only had 60 people.

And no one goes to the tequatl fight right now because it’s not really worth the effort to get there. After the revamp that might change? Who knows.

Complaining for the sake of complaining is what this thread comes down to.

Why 80 players?

Daywolf.2630

Doesn’t mean it becomes balanced just because it changed. It’s rather typical that mmo’s go from one extreme to the other, unfortunately. It’s out of balance because in the long run it’ll most likely be fail/undoable much like most temples have been the past several weeks.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

Where did you pull the number 80 from? I watched the live stream footage from yesterday and I’m pretty sure they said they only had 60 people.

And no one goes to the tequatl fight right now because it’s not really worth the effort to get there. After the revamp that might change? Who knows.

Complaining for the sake of complaining is what this thread comes down to.

Well if you don’t like complain threads why read them?Since they are not for your eyes….

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Widowmaker Z.4802

Widowmaker Z.4802

What? of course its living story… You can see it in the video….

And out of balance?

That doesn’t mean they got it perfect this time either, from what I can see, they may have went too far in the other direction.

Having 80ish or so people and having them work together isn’t going to be easy.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Deadcell.9052

Deadcell.9052

I really hope for ANets sake that this new Tequatl is rewarding, if this thing only drops blues and maybe greens like everything else in the game Tequatl will just get thrown in the abandoned never to be played again pile like most of the unrewarding content in GW2.

Why 80 players?

Daywolf.2630

And yes I ask too, is this “80” set in stone or really a rumor?
I’d be far from surprised if set in stone, this mechanic has been on Mel for some time now, tough less than 80.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Lets say they give you two guaranteed rares every time you kill him. Is it really worth your time? I don’t know about the rest but im not gonna camp him for two rares as i camped maw/shat/teq when game was released.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Serious.6940

Serious.6940

About two weeks ago I visited the claw of Jormag, it was early in the morning and few people were on. There were precisely 3 of us. After 10 minutes we gave up, no point in trying to do it. It wasn’t that we were not skillful, we were, we stayed alive close in to the ice champions. The problem was they spawned so quickly we couldn’t even think of trying anything against the Claw. The Champions gave no rewards at all.

I passed through there again last week. There was me and a commander. We didn’t even bother.

The tougher Jormag has killed the event. There are better rewards from much easier events.

Why 80 players?

Daywolf.2630

Lets say they give you two guaranteed rares every time you kill him. Is it really worth your time? I don’t know about the rest but im not gonna camp him for two rares as i camped maw/shat/teq when game was released.

But rares drop faster elsewhere most times, even from crafting stations. I usually get at least one rare, often two or three. But I’m there for exotic drops as far as loot goes, even a possible precursor. But I don’t always do things just for loot. Though temples seem to drop exotics more often than dragons.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

Let’s see….what did they do here to change this fight up?

Added more AOE. Increased health. Increased adds.

How do you kill Teq? Sweep the leg…still. Now with more people needed to sweep said leg. Still on a timer. Still a building model.

That’s some compelling stuff there, mission accomplished.

(edited by killcannon.2576)

Why 80 players?

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

That’s rather amusing, considering one of the biggest complaints from high-end PC users is that the game doesn’t utilize their full resources because of being optimized for low-end rigs.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Remmenz.6325

Remmenz.6325

When i watched the live stream on the remake of this world boss, i saw that everyone was level 80 BUT they where reduced to the level of 66, so maybe the level requirement for this boss is actually 66, but the level 80 gear makes it so much easier.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

That’s rather amusing, considering one of the biggest complaints from high-end PC users is that the game doesn’t utilize their full resources because of being optimized for low-end rigs.

Yeah right. This game used to be optimized for low-end rigs, but they must’ve updated some unseen aspect of the graphics, because I can’t play GW2 on my laptop anymore. I used to be able to run it fine, up until about 3 months ago when I can barely move 2 feet anymore without getting hit with a wall of fps lag. My laptop is only 2 years old, and it runs every other game just fine.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

How do you kill Teq? Sweep the leg…still. Now with more people needed to sweep said leg. Still on a timer. Still a building model.

1. Need to remove scale stacks/poison clouds/add buffs from Turrets
2. Need to remove protect turrets (if not, timed fail state initiates)
3. DPS needs to avoid waves that get progressively larger and harder to avoid
4. Need to kill fish murder heads (fail condition)
5. Need to avoid getting swept in an underwater whirlpool

Haven’t played so I don’t know how significant each part is, but it isn’t the same encounter with a larger health pool + adds.

Also, there are rewards unique to Tequatl now. Again, don’t know what they are; however, assuming they are tradeable, that should make the run valuable.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Why 80 players?

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

1. Need to remove scale stacks/poison clouds/add buffs from Turrets
2. Need to remove protect turrets (if not, timed fail state initiates)
3. DPS needs to avoid waves that get progressively larger and harder to avoid
4. Need to kill fish murder heads (fail condition)
5. Need to avoid getting swept in an underwater whirlpool

Haven’t played so I don’t know how significant each part is, but it isn’t the same encounter with a larger health pool + adds.

Also, there are rewards unique to Tequatl now. Again, don’t know what they are; however, assuming they are tradeable, that should make the run valuable.

Your numbers…they..are…bad…

1. AOE’s that can only be removed by, gasp!!, another aoe.
2. AOE’s
3. AOE’s
4. Adds
5. AOE’s

So…like I stated…AOE’s, adds, and a bigger health pool. Same encounter, same model, same timer, same attack protocol. And sweep the leg.

Not sure how the reward is part of the fight, but…ok.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

1. Guesting in a server puts you in the LOWEST priority in overflow, meaning someone can’t guest in and cause you to be kicked out of your own server.

2. The fight is scaled as if there were 80, 65+ players. If there were all 80, the number could be decreased to 50 or less.

3. Many of the mechanics rely on your own self, therefore if everyone does a good job there wont be a need for 80 such players.

4. When tequatil shows up, the entire server will know about it as it will be announced in the living story panel.

5. The dragon drops ascended weapons and other rare gear, which makes it a huge incentive to beat.

6. COnsidering that this is a world boss, many top end guilds on servers will coordinate with 40+ people.

7. There will be a LFG tool launched, which will contain listings for groups to kill tequatil.

========

In regards to performance, I run an Intel HD 4000 and can play this game at 30 frames on the low settings, and 40 on the lowest settings.

Don’t sit here and post on the forums that this game can’t run on low end machines, because I run this game all the time on my Macbook Air just fine.

The recent culling removal has literally boosted my framerate by 10 because of the ability to adjust how many models can be displayed on the screen.

It doesn’t matter if there is 800 people, only 12 will be shown on the lowest setting. Stop complaining about the game, if you hate it just quit.

(edited by Chase.8415)

Why 80 players?

Posted by: PVStar.3658

PVStar.3658

About two weeks ago I visited the claw of Jormag, it was early in the morning and few people were on. There were precisely 3 of us. After 10 minutes we gave up, no point in trying to do it. It wasn’t that we were not skillful, we were, we stayed alive close in to the ice champions. The problem was they spawned so quickly we couldn’t even think of trying anything against the Claw. The Champions gave no rewards at all.

I passed through there again last week. There was me and a commander. We didn’t even bother.

The tougher Jormag has killed the event. There are better rewards from much easier events.

Considering teq is going to have ascended weapons in his loot tables + other decent stuff, I don’t think the effort vs reward ratio seems too off for this. Jormag is just awful, but if it could drop ascended weapons it would be a hell of a lot more popular.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: knbBlackTemplar.3059

knbBlackTemplar.3059

For current invasions – main world fill in player to max amount in 10 minutes, i don’t thinks that would be a problem

80’s: Sylvari Necromancer (Main). Human: Thief, Warrior (PvP Main), Engineer. Charr Guardian

Why 80 players?

Posted by: nehezbegar.1065

nehezbegar.1065

Tip #1 Get rid of Your wooden PC and buy a decent one that can handle GW2
Tip #2 If You can’t afford the new PC, lower the amount and quality of visible ppl one the screen

I don’t see a problem here, except low pop realms. I have good PC and i can run everything i want even 20000000000000000 ppl on one screen.

The only thing that bothers me is low pop realms and the question…will they be able to gather enough ppl to do this content?

ArenaNet should merge some low pop realms into one high. Make 18 servers escept 23 that we currently have.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Tip #1 Get rid of Your wooden PC and buy a decent one that can handle GW2
Tip #2 If You can’t afford the new PC, lower the amount and quality of visible ppl one the screen

I think optimisation of the game is a bigger issue.

My PC is reasonably high-end and can easily run GW2 at 60FPS 1920×1080 at highest settings, but in bigger fights (50+ players) the FPS drops to 15-20 while both the GPU and CPU sit “idle” at 40% and 60-70% respectively.

The PC can handle it, but the game doesn’t want to.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

I mean, is great the event support a lot of people but c’mon! How many people are going to do it after a few months?

This is my biggest issue. This move indicates that for one you wont be able to kill him during the day, except for weekends. And like you said, down the line I’m concerned that a lot of people wont bother checking in on the event, which means you wont be able to lure more players to the fight when you want to do it.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

This. What will happen is that most servers will look at the minimum requirement, and even if they have a good chance of reaching it frequently, they won’t have the ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY of reaching it frequently. So they’ll all guest on Tarnished Coast, because that’s where they all guest for this kind of thing right now, and why change what’s working. And I, as a native resident of Tarnished Coast, will continue to live in overflow servers.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

We’ve been consistently taking Grenth’s Temple on NSP lately with barely 15 people
(B/c everyone else is kittening around in invasions and leaving us hanging).
It used to take atleast 30 last month and even then the failure rate was noticeable.

So there’s the Answer…. Get Good, or Give Up.
(or guest on another server that is good)

PS: We almost did Karka the other night with 25 people but some jerks griefed us with a Guild Rush that train’d-in tons of extra mobs and we missed killing the queen by 15 seconds. That’s just plain silly.

(edited by ilr.9675)

Why 80 players?

Posted by: MagnumSteack.5179

MagnumSteack.5179

Yeah right. This game used to be optimized for low-end rigs, but they must’ve updated some unseen aspect of the graphics, because I can’t play GW2 on my laptop anymore. I used to be able to run it fine, up until about 3 months ago when I can barely move 2 feet anymore without getting hit with a wall of fps lag. My laptop is only 2 years old, and it runs every other game just fine.

My laptop is as old as your and run perfectly, even when we’re a full map against Scarlet.

Havohej – Vizunah’s Square
Hämmer Stun [HS]

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

If it’s on a random timer and different for every realm then overflow won’t be an issue due to guesting I’m guessing. It’ll be because you were beat to the punch by your server mates.

I foresee this being a good thing as long as you don’t have these huge farm happy zergy living story episodes like the past two. These events + the champion loot change is what ripped players from the meta bosses. Before this change and living story, Claw/Shatt/Teq/FE/Maw/SB and others always had plenty of players. Boring fights, but plenty of players around non the less.

I bet if the meta bosses had some sort of element to them that you needed for legendary or ascended items, player wouldn’t skip these fights. Then you would have to worry about overcrowding again like back when guaranteed rares were given to them. Anet fixed that fast with a daily chest.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

We’ve been consistently taking Grenth’s Temple on NSP lately with barely 15 people
(B/c everyone else is kittening around in invasions and leaving us hanging).
It used to take atleast 30 last month and even then the failure rate was noticeable.

So there’s the Answer…. Get Good, or Give Up.
(or guest on another server that is good)

PS: We almost did Karka the other night with 25 people but some jerks griefed us with a Guild Rush that spawned tons of extra mobs and we missed killing the queen by 15 seconds. That’s just plain silly.

I’m confused. Did the rush spawn more mobs because of more people passing though the area? I know the finish line is over that way, is that what mean? I have run that rush many times and haven’t noticed that it spawned mobs that weren’t going to be there anyway.