Why 80 players?

Why 80 players?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: kaat.8237

kaat.8237

I play at different times of the day on my server to get all kinds of play experience. During the day for mobs of people, at night for fewer folks. Teq with 5-10 players is fun to do. Takes a bit more time, but you can’t just sit there and auto attack. And, you can actually see what’s going on ‘cause the FPS doesn’t drop to nothing. It would be nice if the “req 80” players boosted rewards instead of made it impossible to finish. Will have to wait and see how the mechanics play out.

MARA on Gunner’s Hold

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

So is he just going to fire off a bunch of instant kill AoEs or will the fight be more intricate than that? I’m okay with this if all those eighty players will have an actual purpose to being there and not just spam auto attacks on him while dodging red circles until he goes down.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: PainShot.7154

PainShot.7154

Extra bonus info: The highest chance of having a rare chance ascended weapon for you is on Tequatl’s daily bonus chest if you defeat him: game on.

If that chance is less than 5%, delete right now that “bonus info”. Stop making false ilusions… im tired of that…

What number would be satisfactory to you? When you log on you get one in the mail?

Emmmm, five percent maybe? Duhhhh
This fanboys with his fanboy glasses… They cant even read what they are reading…

BTW, i love all the changes you will put to tequila. I rlly do. But that “bonus info” put me a little uncomfortable… I still remember this patch notes:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-May-28-2013/first#post2163679
Precursors from chests… Yeah right. A lvl 2 moa can drop a precursor too, but you didn put that in some patch notes ¬¬

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

Extra bonus info: The highest chance of having a rare chance ascended weapon for you is on Tequatl’s daily bonus chest if you defeat him: game on.

If that chance is less than 5%, delete right now that “bonus info”. Stop making false ilusions… im tired of that…

5%? 5% is still too high. I bet this will be like 0.01% or so. In other words just a illusion, impossible. Only the “lucky” people will get them from the event.

^^ this is why I hate RNG so much, you play and play and never get it some moron that doesn’t even know how to play his class properly comes in and gets it on the 1st try !

Same goes for the pre’s !

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

If Teq will require 80 i loath to think what a revamped Jormag would take

Its over 9000 !

LOL

Sry, couldn’t hold back that little insider joke

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Why 80 players?

Posted by: nasfieldjohn.2416

nasfieldjohn.2416

Anet said its a RNG chance to get the ascended
Seriously those hardcores are expecting guranteed loot
Good luck with the hardcores soloing new teq
They just killed the undead dragon

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Kill Momma.6127

Kill Momma.6127

Let me show Anet what Teq looks like atm. This was last night, and I stood there for 30 mins. No one showed up so I logged off. I needed that event to end so i could do map completion for the heart next to it. So ya I dont see how your going to get 80 people there now…

Attachments:

HOD [PHZE]
Chemistry can be a good and bad thing. Good when you make love with it. Bad when you make crack.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Venirto.4208

Venirto.4208

80 People? Organized? In PvE?

Good luck with that, half of the zerg won’t even listen to you trying to help them…

Why 80 players?

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

Let me show Anet what Teq looks like atm. This was last night, and I stood there for 30 mins. No one showed up so I logged off. I needed that event to end so i could do map completion for the heart next to it. So ya I dont see how your going to get 80 people there now…

Ascended items ?

Right now you got 1 or 2 rares so nobody care (you get a lot more farming the invasions). As soon as the new Teq start to drop ascended items, it will be impossible to get in the mainflow.

Now the thing is, how much will last until your screenshot become real once again?

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Gallrvaghn.4921

Gallrvaghn.4921

The idea is we’re going to make him hard, and require a lot of players, he needs to have rewards that make that time worthwhile. In the next update the same philosophy will apply to the karka queen, who will get a bump to her rewards as well given her difficulty; her base line player number is much lower than 80.

+1000000 to this. I love your concept of hard earned and unique rewards for the time/effort given. But it’s been poor implementation across the board ever since. This includes the very recent Champion Loot bags and almost all PVE activities be it JPs, dungeons, world bosses, dynamic events. The effort vs reward ratio disparity in the different aspects of the game compared to each other is just so mind boggling no wonder one aspect of the game’s content are so pitifully empty and ignored while the others are farmed to death by zerg trains. I know part of it is the community’s fault also. People who chase shinies will always take the path of least resistance.

Hopeful penguin is hopeful.

“The boss you just killed respawns ten minutes
later. It doesn’t care that I’m there.”

(edited by Gallrvaghn.4921)

Why 80 players?

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

I’m a bit more optimistic, in that for the first couple of weeks or so the zerg will be coordinated enough to beat Teq (and there will be enough players to make a zerg).
Once you miss that window of opportunity, though, expect it to go the way of the karka queen, pirate invasion champ farming, etc.

Moral of the story is always do content asap or miss out.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

LOL, looks like Tequatl/Sparkfly Fen going to be the new deserted cursed shores area now.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Merendel.7128

Merendel.7128

You are aware that with this change, Tequatl will go the way of the Karka Queen. People will attempt Tequatl a time or two, fail the event and will never go back to that encounter again. It doesn’t matter what quality of loot he drops. People don’t want to bang their heads against their desks. People want to succeed. WoW tried something very similar with ‘Oondasta’. It was a colossal failure.

Maybe maybe not. One reason nobody does the karka queen is she’s just not worth it at all. 2 rares and a basic boss chest once a day with what is possibly the most obnoxious pre event ever devised. you can get the same loot off shadow bahemoth or frozen maw for 5 minutes or less of effort. the effort of triggering her is just not worth the reward. Tequatal mk2? eh I say wait and see. for at least the first two weeks he’ll be done constantly because everybody will be fishing for those ascended weapons. afterwards well just have to see.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

It’ll be a failure-fest. We could learn from the Karka Queen, Grenth, et al, or we can make an “epic” teq. But, it does sound like another opportunity to learn open world PvE balance in the MMO. Undoubtedly, it’ll happen at some point and at some cost.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

In the next update the same philosophy will apply to the karka queen, who will get a bump to her rewards as well given her difficulty; her base line player number is much lower than 80.

Yet I’ve not seen any southsun event completed since the LS that involved that one. People already don’t like doing it now, why should they want to do it in the future when it’s even more annoying?

Why 80 players?

Posted by: zeromius.1604

zeromius.1604

In the next update the same philosophy will apply to the karka queen, who will get a bump to her rewards as well given her difficulty; her base line player number is much lower than 80.

Yet I’ve not seen any southsun event completed since the LS that involved that one. People already don’t like doing it now, why should they want to do it in the future when it’s even more annoying?

Since they haven’t released all of the info on the loot for the revamped world bosses I think we can assume that they’ve learned their lesson. What we do know is that Tequatl will drop a skin that you can’t get anywhere else. We don’t know how many prestige chasers are out there but if you can get 80 people, all with a common goal, together through the LFG tool then it might not seem like such a problem.

Right now no one does the Karka Queen because those who do want to do it have no real way of getting in touch with others who are thinking the same thing. The LFG tool could make all the difference.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: dcypher.2590

dcypher.2590

By now we all know that at PAX it was revealed how Tequatl will become a “raid boss” of sorts. What gets to me though is the requirement of 80 players minimum to succeed.

This got me wondering, why did ANet push for such a crazy amount? I mean, in theory all open world boss fights will undergo the same restructuring, which is great. However, how will this work. If 50 players take on Teq, they’ll fail. Moreover, he actually leaves now and we also don’t know how his timer will function.

I guess the battle will be made available in the LFG tool, but we’re still not sure how exactly it works. Can you apply for the event and be thrown into a group with random 5 players?

All I want to know is, with so many players needed, how will ANet allow players to fill that quota when the boss appears?

Can they even fit that many people on the same server? After this current event, I’m beginning to question it.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Phoenixlin.8624

Phoenixlin.8624

Some people should really think about “reward looted/time wasted” before saying “It will be another Grenth/Karka Queen”. As Merendel said a few posts above, the reason most of the people do not do Grenth or Karka Queen is the funny rewards. Both events want you to waste minimum 30-40 minutes from your life, and they give you 1/2 rares with greens and blues. In a good day, you may get 1g worth exotic with %0.0000000000000000000001 chance. You can get same rewards by killing Maw, Elemental, and other world bosses anyways; moreover, killing them takes less than 15 minutes(with pre’s). That’s why people don’t bother doing long and boring events. If Teqila rewards will turn to be kitten as the other events, it may become Grenth/Karka Queen after achievement farming. But you know they will increase the good reward possibility to %0.0000000000000000000003 for winged lizard =)

Why 80 players?

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

The problem with the Karka queen is not only the lack of good loot if the queen dies. You simply need too many people. Not only for the queen, but also for the queen to actually spawn. So, you can spend a lot of time for nothing.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: TPenny.5071

TPenny.5071

Seems one solution to this problem is to make it instanced and have guilds do it together.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

Seems one solution to this problem is to make it instanced and have guilds do it together.

no thanks, i already left that so long ago.

I took an arrow to the knee

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Sollith.3502

Sollith.3502

Makes a sour face

You don’t need to go that far and continually doing that juts ruins the point of having an open world.

If anything, they should be watching how zergs work in WvW and design the general coordination and setup of the battle with that in mind. Then you go in and add a few more detailed bits to it that require guilds or other groups that are tighter knit in their cooperation and coordination (would be a major and pivotal part of the battle, but would also only be like maybe 20% of the battle groups composition).

I mean WvW is a zergfest, but they are what I like to call coordinated zergs at least lol (t1 and t2 doing their little run around in circles thing when in bigger fights to not stay in one place for too long not allowing AOEs to be stacked on them, as well as other things like stacking for buffs, etc.). There is bit of coordination going on in these zergs, but it’s not necessarily the super coordinated exact position Roman Legion line up lol.

Hopefully they won’t make the waves of mobs just stupidly hard to kill (like in jormag; it’s pointless to kill them cause they take too fricking long…). They need to definitely be at a level where they are a threat and distraction, requiring attention of the players to keep in check which in turn can allow for players to be divided up into general “teams/squads” for instance: a small group on Crowd control (10 or so), a small group on boss damage (again about 10-15 or so), a group on siege for aoe cleansing etc. (whatever the number of siege are set out there plus a one or two players guarding them).

One thing I am worried about though is the time limit… I think they should start the battle out with a time limit, but have it so that you can remove it’s ability to fly away if you hit it with certain siege enough times to kind of “break it’s wings” so to speak. This would be essentially optional, but if the group focuses it down, it removes the time gate on the event (or at least extends it for another 15 min or something).

Overall, I just hope it’s more fun and involving than the current dragon battles.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Ah yes, here it is. If the biggest chance for ascended weapon is rare (and we know that here it means usually less than one percent, based on all the rare and better than rare drops from rng boxes), we can just forget about it.

Considering that there will be 80 or more players fighting Tequatl, even a 1% chance is pretty high. You might not get an Ascended weapon but someone probably will.

So? You might as well say that it’s a good idea to play the lottery, because almost always someone wins the big one. 1% chance means, that i can expect on average 3-4 ascended pieces in a year. Assuming i’ll do the event every day – and that i’ll win every day. Which seems pretty unlikely on both counts. Which will leave me with reasonable expectations of a year or more for one ascended drop.

…and that’s all assuming that it is an 1% chance. Which (seeing as they have used the dreaded word “rare”) is almost certainly a serious overestimation. I’d expect something closer to 0.1% or worse.

With expectations like that, the possibility (heh) of dropping an ascended is going to be worth as much as a possibility of dropping a precursor from those events now.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Why 80 players?

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

summary if i dont get ascended weapon, trinkets and even a precursor in less of 3 tequatls, not worth going back to it.

summary people here already fought tequatl and know what they are talking about because karka was a failure

I took an arrow to the knee

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Sil.4560

Sil.4560

So it’s a big, game-crashing zergfest with dim hopes at more RNG drops. Bleh.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: TheProcreator.9583

TheProcreator.9583

Honestly, I do not see an issue with this. Every world boss that I go to has a minimum of 100 players at it. Then again…I suppose different servers are less populated. Well, put that guesting to use, i suppose. Unless the LFG allows easy cross-server raiding.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Phoenixlin.8624

Phoenixlin.8624

You can’t see minimum 100 players in any Karka Queen preevent. If some guild tries to do it, freeloaders rush to kill Karka Queen only =) Same as Grenth. Freeloaders zerg come only to “5 minute defending” event.

Edit: I know because I do it too =d

Why 80 players?

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Teh descriptions of the fight mention a ton of aoe going on. Does this mean my ranger pet is going to be dead 3 seconds into this fight and leave me doing a fraction of my dps?

That’s okay though…. You don’t have much use for the Ascended drop anyway since you’re only getting a portion of the increase in damage and stats from the Ascended Gear that real classes get.

(edited by ilr.9675)

Why 80 players?

Posted by: TheProcreator.9583

TheProcreator.9583

You can’t see minimum 100 players in any Karka Queen preevent. If some guild tries to do it, freeloaders rush to kill Karka Queen only =) Same as Grenth. Freeloaders zerg come only to “5 minute defending” event.

Edit: I know because I do it too =d

No one goes to Southsun really, so I don’t think it matters too much. I usually have people at Grenth too.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

80 People? Organized? In PvE?

Good luck with that, half of the zerg won’t even listen to you trying to help them…

Tough that myself, other than swarms of players+lag+chat supression, and we will see the overflow district again for sure, with swarms of players blobling on those jump pads.

Killing Tequalt looks like a circus with clowns jumping arround.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: hplee.2839

hplee.2839

looks like you were in an overflow map…your server has too many people trying to kill Teq it seems…

Orisis Stonehart
Blackgate Militia

Why 80 players?

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I’m willing to bet someday when people get really good at him, less than 80 people will be able to pull it off, that tends to be how anything works in an MMO. It’s balanced for 80 average players though though and scales up into the hundreds because we want to make epic, large scale encounters available to players out in the open world. We’ll have a mix of a lot of different types of encounters as we continue to update our boss and world encounters, but Tequatl specifically is intended to go for the epic scale.

The idea is we’re going to make him hard, and require a lot of players, he needs to have rewards that make that time worthwhile. In the next update the same philosophy will apply to the karka queen, who will get a bump to her rewards as well given her difficulty; her base line player number is much lower than 80.

Teh descriptions of the fight mention a ton of aoe going on. Does this mean my ranger pet is going to be dead 3 seconds into this fight and leave me doing a fraction of my dps?

Probably.. Like every invasion, my pet needs help. That’s all I hear.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

You are absolutely right on this. Truly challenging content, which I don’t believe Anet is currently capable of, should be implemented in a tiered fashion in instances. Open world PvE in the MMO is not about crushing challenge. It will simply empty the open world where it is attempted and create enormous ill will toward Anet. All MMO’s except GW2 understand this. It is possible to satisfy the desires of a diverse player base, but Anet has not discovered the obvious answer to date.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

Having 80ish or so people and having them work together isn’t going to be easy.

LOL…..what? You imply there will need to be some kind of coordination or real gameplay involved. Given the path they’ve been on why would anyone expect this to be anything other than yet another full-on zerg?
For some reason this game seems to be in the mindset that harder simply means more HP, making the increased ‘challenge’ the task of finding enough people to zerg it in a decent amount of time.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: HeliaXDemoN.1208

HeliaXDemoN.1208

State of the farm now:

Invasion>Champions>WvW>Dungeons>World Boss>Others

World Boss before the invasion, had like 20~40 people, now 10~20.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: yorick.1305

yorick.1305

If they improve that ‘Fear’ of his instead of being thrown (back) into the bone wall (and stuck in it). You’ll end up near the waypoint!..miles back.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Mattargul.9235

Mattargul.9235

If Teq will require 80 i loath to think what a revamped Jormag would take

2000?

BG, JQ, TC and SoR working together. lulz

Dances with Leaves – Guardian – Sanctum of Rall (SoR)

Why 80 players?

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Right now no one does the Karka Queen because those who do want to do it have no real way of getting in touch with others who are thinking the same thing. The LFG tool could make all the difference.

Good point here. The only reason we took down the Karka Queen last Sunday was because my guild was there doing the guild challenge…so while we were there we finished off the camps and killed her (with like 2 seconds to go). It was epic and awesome.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: lunyboy.8672

lunyboy.8672

What? Um, where’s the source for this “you need 80 people to beat Tequatl” statement?

That’s what Dulfy said, but I think she meant 80 total noobs who only know autoattack.

With that much lag, that is all most will be ABLE to do.

Miss Fisthammer – Engineer | Urgard Fistorsen – Guardian
Physti – Elementalist | Fistful of Blades – Thief
[WHIP] Quaggan Slavers – HoD

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Mr Quinn.9815

Mr Quinn.9815

So, we gonna get to have (up to) 80 man teams, or are we still stuck to the ridiculous 5?

:)

this notice was brought to you by a Misguided Misfit

Why 80 players?

Posted by: lunyboy.8672

lunyboy.8672

So, we gonna get to have (up to) 80 man teams, or are we still stuck to the ridiculous 5?

:)

Wonder how long it will take for a 5-man group to speed kill it alone…

Miss Fisthammer – Engineer | Urgard Fistorsen – Guardian
Physti – Elementalist | Fistful of Blades – Thief
[WHIP] Quaggan Slavers – HoD

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Mia Lunarfang.5826

Mia Lunarfang.5826

This will fail, just like with scarlet, it will work the first 3 days, then people will stop showing up, or caring…

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Tiger Mist.8915

Tiger Mist.8915

When I hear the words Karka or Grength (and soon Tequatl) all I think of is “pay to zone into a WP, walk in, die, pay to zone out and repair armor.” Fun times.

Monsters who kill you in one second (being thrown to the ceiling in Grength, or being chopped up in 1 second by 100 Karka) mean that people like me with less-than-stellar Internet connection do not stand a chance.

Common Anet… at least make it funny. Modify the behavior of Tequatl itself instead of making it an 80-person Zergfest:

- Stomp on a player directly under one of its claws to make them paper thin.
- Use his bright, white sharp teeth to eat a player and fire out their bones as arrows.
- Fling his tail and send a player smashing into the others knocking them back.

Dead players can then revive ten seconds later at the WP and get achievements or no armor damage for their sacrifice.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: Kill Momma.6127

Kill Momma.6127

looks like you were in an overflow map…your server has too many people trying to kill Teq it seems…

nope, was doing map completion and was on the map. Shortly after Scarlet came, then went, leaving me on the main map. Or do I hint some sarcasm there?

HOD [PHZE]
Chemistry can be a good and bad thing. Good when you make love with it. Bad when you make crack.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

What number would be satisfactory to you? When you log on you get one in the mail?

Instead of trying to insult him, try reading his statement again, the answer to your question is actually in his statement.

“If the chance is LESS THAN 5%…” “LESS THAN 5%” What number do you think would be acceptable to him, and would that number be anywhere close to “receiving it in mail”?

Why 80 players?

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

If true this is shaping up to be an epic fail. The guy in charge of encounter design need to be fired. I’ve never seen anywhere near 80 people in any world boss event ever since I’ve started playing this game 1 year ago and if that’s the requirement the number of people will go down even more due to quitting.

Why 80 players?

Posted by: folly dragon.4126

folly dragon.4126

I love the idea and the chests with daily chest, but I cant help but wonder, no karma for failure. What If we aren’t trying to fail Tequatl, no karma for you. LOL

But seriously guys, I remember another games Dragon encounter originally taking 300 players to do, but once everyone learned the mechanics, it was done fairly well with 8 players daily. (Of course, it took an hour, but the reward was worth it)