Why Anet Doesnt Bank in Quaterly Reports

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

I see a small number of people completely misunderstanding these reports. First of all you need to understand Anet as a company. They don’t milk their costumers, nor do they have gem store gated features, unless you don’t log in for the LW which they give you a long time to do. Anyways, these Asian competitor reports don’t share Anet’s principles. Let’s take this fresh new game that came out in the west, blade and soul. While BnS doesn’t have any significant pay to win qualities, they do have costumes gated behind their cash shop system. Meaning, you want to have cool looking armor and variety??? Cool I got this costume for 10 dollars. Anet gives costumers the luxury of hunting for in game armor and adding them to our wardrobe system, aka they get no money for it. They have the hiiiiighly option feature of buying from their limited selection of outfits, but honestly they don’t have much of a fashion sense and they aren’t necessary. Most if not allll Asian games have cash shop gated features, some are pay to win, others are cosmetics. This game is extremely fair and that explains their revenue only giving 15 million per quarter on average. When their next Xpac blows us away, you’ll see a huge spike andddd then it will go back down. Anet doesn’t force their community to pay for features. It’s not because the game isn’t highly populated. If you log in you’ll see a huge amount of players participating in everything the game has to offer. Enjoy, don’t take it for granted, they could make a loooot more money if they focused on milking their community, instead of focusing on improving their game.

(edited by Adry.7512)

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

That’s some serious damage control your doing and creating this type of post paints a more dire picture than the reports themselves.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

creating this type of post paints a more dire picture than the reports themselves.

Not really. One player’s opinion doesnt say much about the game, good or bad.

Posted by: Drakz.7051

Drakz.7051

But if you look at their style since HoT release they are going more in the way of selling more Cs outfits and weapon skins plus gliders.

The game has alot of variety but that was on original release, their focus has now shifted from making armour skins to outfits, they said they would bring armour skins out with expacs but as our only example as of now being HoT well look what we got

About 3 – 4 full armour sets and tons of Cs outfits, and the armours with HoT are not up to the same standard as the outfits they sell on the Cs now.

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

this is just my oppinion but:

1) Theres no need to do these kinds of posts…
2) Take a look at other games, lineage “profits” the most but…yeah
3) Ive seen nothing wrong with the new “direction” they are going, in fact they improved many areas of the game and mechanics.
4) Gw2 adds more cosmetic outfits and gliders…and that bothers some people how?

Posted by: Seyiwaji.4082

Seyiwaji.4082

1) we have been posting those report for years now. In fact, as they doubled their income and such, they didn’t delete those post. why?
2)We don’t care about other games. so stop talking about it. don’t compare nut and apple.
3)They didn’t improve anything:
-less communication
-only improving pve and calling this game competitive game
-class balance in pvp is still kitten
-Good Dev seems to have left the company.
4) People already stated, they don’t want outfit they want armor.
What did the Boss said? armor take too long to be made.
So they don’t care really about the customers’ wishes

(edited by Seyiwaji.4082)

Adry.7512

But if you look at their style since HoT release they are going more in the way of selling more Cs outfits and weapon skins plus gliders.

The game has alot of variety but that was on original release, their focus has now shifted from making armour skins to outfits, they said they would bring armour skins out with expacs but as our only example as of now being HoT well look what we got

About 3 – 4 full armour sets and tons of Cs outfits, and the armours with HoT are not up to the same standard as the outfits they sell on the Cs now.

Well this shift is what has helped maintain 15mil per quarter. also they stopped making armor skins because that can be considered unfair. Costumes replaced it. Costumes doesnt take away value from the wardrobe system. Let’s see if they add more variety in armor with Xpac 2, im sure they will, they had almost two years to create armors on the side for the next Xpac.

Adry.7512

3) Ive seen nothing wrong with the new “direction” they are going, in fact they improved many areas of the game and mechanics.

I am really not understanding the initial intent of your post…..what are you talking about? is this a response to me or someone else?

Adry.7512

1) we have been posting those report for years now. In fact, as they doubled their income and such, they didn’t delete those post. why?
2)We don’t care about other games. so stop talking about it. don’t compare nut and apple.
-less communication

common sense tells me that if they create more armor skins for gem store, then we get less armor skins for in-game, simple. PVP has improved about 100x, balance is pretty kitten good. you still get wrecked? sorry to hear that. Good devs left the company???? and you got this info from where?

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

-less communication

common sense tells me that if they create more armor skins for gem store, then we get less armor skins for in-game, simple. PVP has improved about 100x, balance is pretty kitten good. you still get wrecked? sorry to hear that. Good devs left the company???? and you got this info from where?

Colin, Chris to name a couple from recent memory.

Posted by: PlatinumMember.5274

PlatinumMember.5274

-less communication

Colin works for Amazon. Amazon tends to pay significant more than what the average game developer gets paid.

Now, Colin was a cool guy but as a game director I would disagree that he was good or that the game suffered because he left. I would actually argue that the game improved after he left. Like it or not, Colin was responsible for the mess that was HOT initially. It was after he left that most of the problems with HOT started getting fixed. The big patch in march 2016 was after he had left.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

-less communication

Colin works for Amazon. Amazon tends to pay significant more than what the average game developer gets paid.

Now, Colin was a cool guy but as a game director I would disagree that he was good or that the game suffered because he left. I would actually argue that the game improved after he left. Like it or not, Colin was responsible for the mess that was HOT initially. It was after he left that most of the problems with HOT started getting fixed. The big patch in march 2016 was after he had left.

Most of the living story content, as well as the April HoT patch, were well in development by the time he left. Content and fixes don’t just magically happen so you can’t just use the date he left as a cut off and assume that everything that comes after it he had no control over prior to leaving.

Adry.7512

-less communication

Sorry I’m not too familiar with chris but Colin almost destroyed the game. Nice guy though, but in my opinion he almost ran this game to the ground with his false promises, unfinished ideas, and unstructured development of the game. So no I’m going to have to say you’re wrong.

Adry.7512

-less communication

Yup! Tell it like it is.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Well this shift is what has helped maintain 15mil per quarter. also they stopped making armor skins because that can be considered unfair. Costumes replaced it. Costumes doesnt take away value from the wardrobe system. Let’s see if they add more variety in armor with Xpac 2, im sure they will, they had almost two years to create armors on the side for the next Xpac.

No, they stopped making armor skins, for sale in the gem store, because it “costs” too much relative to the income they make from one. It’s not a sense of fairness to players.

You can’t look at Lineage’s profits because NCSOFT don’t report profits, NCSOFT report income. And since most of Lineage’s income is from Korea plus the game being Korea’s WoW, being nearly 20 years old, it’s business model is very different than GW2.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

-less communication

Sorry I’m not too familiar with chris but Colin almost destroyed the game. Nice guy though, but in my opinion he almost ran this game to the ground with his false promises, unfinished ideas, and unstructured development of the game. So no I’m going to have to say you’re wrong.

Everyone has their own opinions.

PlatinumMember.5274

-less communication

Most of the living story content, as well as the April HoT patch, were well in development by the time he left. Content and fixes don’t just magically happen so you can’t just use the date he left as a cut off and assume that everything that comes after it he had no control over prior to leaving.

His job was to prevent the mess that was HOt in the first place. If I kitten up and then fix my kitten up, I don’t get credit for it. It was his job to make a great game and HoT had a lot of issues.

You are right that the new content started development when he was around. the key being “started.” I doubt he had that much influence on any of the latter content like the newest maps.

Also the new content seems to have been designed to move away from the his mistakes.

ANYWAYS my point is, the game hasn’t suffered from his departure. THe newest map which arguably had the least amount of his influence is also one of the best maps we have had.

EDIT: I mean look at where all those previous Arena net developers ended. They are working on that kittenty Breakaway game.

(edited by PlatinumMember.5274)

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

-less communication

Love it how you automatically assume that a complaint about balance in PvP = someone who loses all the time.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Ayrilana.1396

-less communication

His job was to prevent the mess that was HOt in the first place. If I kitten up and then fix my kitten up, I don’t get credit for it. It was his job to make a great game and HoT had a lot of issues.

You are right that the new content started development when he was around. the key being “started.” I doubt he had that much influence on any of the latter content like the newest maps.

Also the new content seems to have been designed to move away from the his mistakes.

ANYWAYS my point is, the game hasn’t suffered from his departure. THe newest map which arguably had the least amount of his influence is also one of the best maps we have had.

EDIT: I mean look at where all those previous Arena net developers ended. They are working on that kittenty Breakaway game.

That’s your opinion that HoT was a mess. Many others, including me, disagree with you.

He very likely had input into the first two episodes as well as the April update. The lastest episode began after he left. He was there for the groundwork of the current living story season that you appear to enjoy.

That’s your opinion again about things in HoT being mistakes. Others would disagree. The maps are all very different because each team was different and had their own take on how they wanted the map to flow.

Whether the game suffered or not from his departure doesn’t have any bearing on how he performed. It just means that the staff are very capable. I’ve seen departments in corporations go without directors for months and those departments don’t suffer. The staff know what to do and there is always someone in the position for the interim to assist in the transition for who fills the position permanently.

I have no idea why where the other devs left to has anything to do with this.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

That’s your opinion that HoT was a mess. Many others, including me, disagree with you.

That’s your opinion again about things in HoT being mistakes. Others would disagree.

And your opinion is more valid than his because?

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Ayrilana.1396

That’s your opinion again about things in HoT being mistakes. Others would disagree.

And your opinion is more valid than his because?

Never said it was.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

It seems like it’s a no-brainer for some people to blame Colin Johanson for the way GW2 is. I’m not buying it. Did he have an effect? Sure. Did he produce a lot of cool things? Yep. Did some of his direction not pan out? Absolutely. However, we should know where the buck stops.

Behellagh.1468

Actually they are working on a different game for Amazon Game Studios, Crucible.

“Crucible is a battle to the last survivor on a hostile alien world. Players choose and customize heroes, making alliances and betraying allies on their path to victory. An additional player heightens the drama by triggering events, live-streaming the battles, and interacting with viewers.”

RIP City of Heroes

Adry.7512

It seems like it’s a no-brainer for some people to blame Colin Johanson for the way GW2 is. I’m not buying it. Did he have an effect? Sure. Did he produce a lot of cool things? Yep. Did some of his direction not pan out? Absolutely. However, we should know where the buck stops.

Yessir! I agree with you, it’s def not all Colin. He isn’t god lmao. He probably got the approval of several people including the big man, MO. Then at the end when his plans didn’t work out everybody jumped ship and pointed fingers at Colin, but that’s how life goes. If you don’t have a logical strategic plan with longevity, then it crumbles. Here’s a reproductive and applicable version of his LW vision. Instead of throwing unrepeatable storylines, and forcing a new one every few weeks, which would destroy quality. Why not keep the system we have now with the addition of a well formatted and replicated invasion plan on main maps, which would be chosen by random. Requiring guilds to band together and push back the opposing forces. You know??? Something simple that can be replicated.

(edited by Adry.7512)

PlatinumMember.5274

Actually they are working on a different game for Amazon Game Studios, Crucible.

“Crucible is a battle to the last survivor on a hostile alien world. Players choose and customize heroes, making alliances and betraying allies on their path to victory. An additional player heightens the drama by triggering events, live-streaming the battles, and interacting with viewers.”

Really?

https://forums.playbreakaway.com/topic/19/should-players-in-twitch-chat-be-able-to-impact-gameplay-in-any-way/15

So I guess there must be a second Colin. I guess Amazon studios has two Colin’s with the exact same name.

PlatinumMember.5274

-less communication

He very likely had input into the first two episodes as well as the April update. The lastest episode began after he left. He was there for the groundwork of the current living story season that you appear to enjoy.

That’s your opinion again about things in HoT being mistakes. Others would disagree. The maps are all very different because each team was different and had their own take on how they wanted the map to flow.

Whether the game suffered or not from his departure doesn’t have any bearing on how he performed. It just means that the staff are very capable. I’ve seen departments in corporations go without directors for months and those departments don’t suffer. The staff know what to do and there is always someone in the position for the interim to assist in the transition for who fills the position permanently.

It really isn’t an opinion when the CEO of the company apologies and goes into depth about fixing some of HoT’s issue.

In any case, you have your opinion fuel by something not supported by facts. Mine kinda supporrted by the words of Mike O Brien. You would think some of Colin caliber would work on Crucible, but nope he got assigned to what looks like a kittenty battle PvP.

Ayrilana.1396

-less communication

It really isn’t an opinion when the CEO of the company apologies and goes into depth about fixing some of HoT’s issue.

In any case, you have your opinion fuel by something not supported by facts. Mine kinda supporrted by the words of Mike O Brien. You would think some of Colin caliber would work on Crucible, but nope he got assigned to what looks like a kittenty battle PvP.

Yours isn’t fueled by facts. Some aspects of the expansion didn’t appeal to a portion of the player base. Apologizing and making adaptions doesn’t mean that there was anything inherently wrong with it. Definitely not on the scale that you have been stating in this thread.

You make opinions, posing as facts, about Colin’s involvement in the April update and current living story season. You marginalized his involvement based solely on everything releasing after he left while completely disregarding they they were in production well before him leaving.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Ayrilana.1396

Since Anet’s forums won’t let me edit and make changes to my post, here’s another part.

You make opinions, posing as facts, about the quality of the expansion. There are players that enjoyed it at release and those that didn’t. There are also those that are indifferent. You’d see this with any content but this isn’t evidence that there is anything wrong. Most definitely not to the extent that you have been claiming in this thread.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

-less communication

Why are you acting like its impossible for him to work on multiple projects as is what he said in his own post ?

I’m not on the Breakaway team, though my team is helping them out by putting together the Stream+ alpha on Twitch for use with the game.

Though I’m not involved with day-to-day development on the game

He’s literally helping with one feature… This is common place in game development.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Really?

https://forums.playbreakaway.com/topic/19/should-players-in-twitch-chat-be-able-to-impact-gameplay-in-any-way/15

So I guess there must be a second Colin. I guess Amazon studios has two Colin’s with the exact same name.

Odd, in your link Colin states he isn’t working on the Breakaway game. Perhaps, he’s working on a different game at Amazon Studios. I have no idea, I don’t follow Amazon Studios, or any of their games.

Behellagh.1468

Really?

Note he said “Head of the Stream+ team here.” Stream+ is Amazon’s integrated with Twitch (which they own) group of games which three were announced at the last Twitchcon. Breakaway is simply the furthest along and being in alpha/beta has a message board. The other two are Crucible, a 12 player (I think), last man standing arena game and New World, an MMO. All three games integrate tightly with Twitch to encourage streaming and viewer involvement. You can read about them here.

https://games.amazon.com/games

RIP City of Heroes