Why Can't I Switch Class?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rokien.6405

Rokien.6405

Hello, Rokien here again! I hope everyone is having a great monday, I have today off soo mine is amazing!

I want to talk about doing (mostly) everything with one character. I know this game is built where you have to create multiple characters. Though, really, why can’t I go pick up a sword and learn how to use it if I’m a Elementalist? I can already manifest a magic sword and use that. Lets not forget you have to redo every single thing on each character you make.

So, would you guys like it if you were able to switch classes and do mostly everything on one character?

Posted by: Renegadeimp.8439

Renegadeimp.8439

That would defeat the entire purpose of the game and having classes in general.

Rokien.6405

That would defeat the entire purpose of the game and having classes in general.

How so? Why can’t I switch to a warrior? Or a Mesmer? seems silly.

As I stated in the OP, this game was based around having multiple characters, I get that. Though, that shouldn’t stop me from being able to switch classes, and have fun with them on the character I like.

Posted by: Debsylvania.7396

Debsylvania.7396

Nope, I wouldn’t want to do that. I would much prefer to create a separate unique character for each unique profession. Thankfully, this is how the game is designed.

Deb ~The Chewbacca Defense [TCD];
Waiting For Death [WFD]
@ Borlis Pass Server

Posted by: EricGORE.7896

EricGORE.7896

Some people would like this, and I’m sure many others wouldn’t. It really comes down to the limitations the developers decided to put on their game.

Do I make you Norny, baby?

Rokien.6405

Nope, I wouldn’t want to do that. I would much prefer to create a separate unique character for each unique profession. Thankfully, this is how the game is designed.

Why though? You would have to do everything all over again with each new character.

Debsylvania.7396

Each of my characters has a unique race and profession. Why would you want to homogenize the experience?

Waiting For Death [WFD]
@ Borlis Pass Server

Posted by: Renegadeimp.8439

Renegadeimp.8439

Why though? You would have to do everything all over again with each new character.

Thats the entire point of an MMO.

Rokien.6405

Each of my characters has a unique race and profession. Why would you want to homogenize the experience?

I come from 8 years of FFXI. I’ve always wondered why other mmos made you switch characters to do something different. Right now I have a 43 Elementalist, I’m having fun with it, but I want to try out different classes. I mean I’m getting pretty much every other armor BUT my elementalist armor from drops. I should go use them with out having to mail them to my other char. Also, why would I want to go do the same hearts all over again?

Rokien.6405

Thats the entire point of an MMO.

FFXI says different, same with FFXIV.

Posted by: Rhythmless Ninja.7568

Rhythmless Ninja.7568

There’s “plenty” of games that do that boring kind of thing as having 1 character play every single class, like FFXIV, FFXI, PSO2, but this isn’t one of them and I really don’t want that in this game. Playing one character on every single class is not appealing at all, and it gets rather boring, fast, and this is from experience as I played two of those games for over a year.

Debsylvania.7396

I come from 8 years of FFXI. I’ve always wondered why other mmos made you switch characters to do something different. Right now I have a 43 Elementalist, I’m having fun with it, but I want to try out different classes. I mean I’m getting pretty much every other armor BUT my elementalist armor from drops. I should go use them with out having to mail them to my other char. Also, why would I want to go do the same hearts all over again?

I’m playing three different characters and have often seen unique content that I didn’t see the first time through a zone. GW2 is a densely detailed world. I am enjoying seeing it on more than one character.

Waiting For Death [WFD]
@ Borlis Pass Server

Rokien.6405

There’s “plenty” of games that do that boring kind of thing as having 1 character play every single class, like FFXIV, FFXI, PSO2, but this isn’t one of them and I really don’t want that in this game. Playing one character on every single class is not appealing at all, and it gets rather boring, fast, and this is from experience as I played two of those games for over a year.

I don’t get why I can’t just progess on one character. it’s not like you can’t make a different character for each class if you so choose to.

Also you can only have 5 character slots(unless you buy more) meaning you can’t even play all the classes.

Posted by: Campana.9216

Campana.9216

I prefer games where you don’t have to pick a class, and it’s one of my least favourite features of GW2. I much prefer being able to spec into specific weapons skills instead.

However, levelling is fairly easy in this game, and each character you play is intended to be have its own personalised storyline (even if it does become very similar towards the end). So I suspect that Anet felt that removing a reason to have alts would reduce the amount of content per player.

Posted by: Rhythmless Ninja.7568

Rhythmless Ninja.7568

I don’t get why I can’t just progess on one character. it’s not like you can’t make a different character for each class if you so choose to.

Also you can only have 5 character slots(unless you buy more) meaning you can’t even play all the classes.

I’ve bought two extra slots through the gold to gem exchange, it takes some time if you’re broke but it’s really not that hard to get more slots for practically nothing. On topic though, The reason that kind of thing works in the games I stated before is because those were built around that system, there are no sub jobs, sub classes, any of that in this. And even then, it felt extremely tedious, more so in FFXI since you were pretty much forced to have certain subs for your main classes or pretty much be screwed so most everyone only used one character because of tedious that was aside from mules. In this, there’s none of that nonsense and each race has pretty neat stories, animations, looks, etc that I’d rather be trying all of them out with different classes instead of having to hold a ton of gear for every class I have leveled on a single character that I’d grow tired of looking at after a while.

To sum that up, I find it a lot more fun to experience different classes on different races instead of feeling like i’m being forced to play one character because they can use any class and there’s always a perk having multiple classes leveled on 1 character when the game is built around it. But, that’s just my opinion you can take it for what it is.

(edited by Rhythmless Ninja.7568)

Rokien.6405

ok lets look at gw1, you could pretty much do everything on one character in gw1.

Posted by: Campana.9216

Campana.9216

ok lets look at gw1, you could pretty much do everything on one character in gw1.

Except changen your main class of course. Changing your secondary profession doesn’t really count imo although it was a very nice feature.

Rokien.6405

My point is, they could have built off of that feature.

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

No, your armor was limited to your primary class.

This is not GW or FFXI either way, if you want to change classes go play those. This thread is pointless.

Posted by: Pirhana.8935

Pirhana.8935

lol. sounds like Rift was someones first mmo

Posted by: Hyral.4168

Hyral.4168

Well it would destroy their extra character slot sales, so I wouldn’t count on this ever happening. I guess they could charge gems for switching a class, but honestly I still doubt that would appeal to me.

While I’ve enjoyed class switching in other games, single player and MMO, it’s never been a real game-maker either. “Remember that time I went from wizard to barbarian! Woah!” is something no one has probably ever heard.

Rokien.6405

I never even played Rift, FFXI was my first mmo, I played it when it first came out, till they made it “easy mode”

Mabinogi was my second MMO I played it along side ffxi

In between I played a lot of other f2p mmos.

The latest MMO and still playing it is FFXIV, along side GW2.

Rokien.6405

No, your armor was limited to your primary class.

This is not GW or FFXI either way, if you want to change classes go play those. This thread is pointless.

You are correct, though why would I play a game that got ruined?

It is not pointless, why couldn’t I be able to pick up a sword and train with it on a character and pick up a different weapon and train with that one on the side? As i already stated, as an Elementalist I can pick up a manifested sword, bow, what have ya. So why couldn’t I train in real swords or bows? Thus resulting in a switch of classes.

Posted by: Y u mad its vydia.6324

Y u mad its vydia.6324

Ya’ll postin’ in a troll thread.

Malaakh. [EU] Desolation.

Posted by: riku.2091

riku.2091

I’m going to take the stance that I really am not in favor of this idea. It doesn’t just defeat the purpose of having the classes int he first place (which I really like), but also, it defeats all the work they put into giving you options. I could play one human who is just so awesome at everything. Or I could play one human elementalist street rat, and one human noble theif. Or better yet, a human noble necro and a brawling Norn warrior. Why would I want to spend my whole experience with one character? Sounds really, really boring. Besides, all the classes in this game were designed to let you do almost anything. I could play support with my ranger if I felt so inclined. Then switch him to a Condition damager.

And the secondary class feature in GW1? Really didn’t change the game that much. You were still limited by your main class’s armor, health, energy pool, main attribute, and appearance.

Posted by: Hyral.4168

Hyral.4168

Ya’ll postin’ in a troll thread.

well now i mad

Posted by: exelion.2369

exelion.2369

For what reason why would any one profession want to be another? It’s like if a welder just decided to become a chemist. While they both deal with chemistry what reason is there for them to do that?

Don’t mess with Ascalon!

Posted by: souldonkey.9534

souldonkey.9534

To answer your question, The reason you can’t change your profession is because the game was not designed that way. If you want a game that allows for that, play a game that allows for that. The only logical answer to your question, though, is “because Arenanet designed a game built around playing one profession per character”.

That’s it. There’s no other reason beyond that. and no other reason for this discussion to continue.

Posted by: Deathstar.6435

Deathstar.6435

There really is no point in being able to change your class when you can just make a new character instead. If you’re a level 80 warrior and change to an elementalist, you’re going to be sent back to level 1 anyway. (What? Did you think spending your whole life training as a warrior is going to make you automatically awesome at casting spells?) So now you’re completely naked since you can no longer wear your high level armor, you have no weapons for your class, and you’re level 1. Why not just make a new character to begin with?

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Considering how little there is to do in pve as it is I’m not sure that would be a great idea.

Being able to class change once for free and in the future for a hefty price maybe? In case you lvl up high and decide you don’t like your class or something.

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

You might want to take a look at The Secret World and/or Champions Online, they both have “classless” systems where one character can have any combination of abilities (given enough time). There are also skill-based MMOs like Darkfall.

I like classless systems too, but for a class-based system, GW2 has a lot of flexibility within each Profession.

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

In what way would being able to multi-class stop that?

It wouldn’t. It would have no negative effects whatsoever.

Personally, as long as it’s well designed (e.g. coded not to let you change in combat, etc) I see no issue with it.

:edit:

“Remember that time I went from wizard to barbarian! Woah!” is something no one has probably ever heard.

Is it any less common than “Remember that time I logged off my wizard and logged on my barbarian! Woah!”?

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

(edited by Jestunhi.7429)

Posted by: LittleBigAsura.6071

LittleBigAsura.6071

Switching to another class would DESTROY the game, but using all weapons with your class (with unique skills to your class example an elementalist with a sword, the sword becomes with his element) would be cool.

Fedd
Luxon [Lux]
Jade Quarry

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

Switching to another class would DESTROY the game, but using all weapons with your class (with unique skills to your class example an elementalist with a sword, the sword becomes with his element) would be cool.

Please explain exactly how it would DESTROY the game.

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

Posted by: Larhf.8193

Larhf.8193

Sigh this is a pointless discussion.
It’s an MMORPG for a reason, which is that you’re supposed to “live” as your character and being able to switch from a heavily-armoured knight to a swift and stealthy thief just doesn’t seem right especially considering that they limit what you can do with a class MAKES it a class to begin with.

Posted by: Salfos.4091

Salfos.4091

I guess I will throw in my two cents to this rather redundant thread. I like my thief, warrior, and ranger, those are the three i knew i wanted to play from betas, what not. Those are ones I enjoy and they are all races, with unique storyline. plus playing through the same hearts isn’t boring to me i find each time very different from the last with all the events going off. my other two slots are kinda characters that i throw away and try the others to find ones i kinda like, but im not a mage guy so, but i will eventually make some. The main facts as Anet wants to tell a story so you are that character and its what they lived there life as. Second they designed it on one profession they already explained why they cut two profession back when they were still developing, it was pointless really, cause you focused one or the other and it made balancing impossible since the rather large number of combinations. plus you can be every single craft class available. and games with classless have designs so when you switch your not out of luck when you switch. My example Dragon’s Dogma, armors cover about 3-4 of the classes each piece so when you switch ya you have to change ur weapons completely (most of them not all) , but not armor always. This would be hard for guild wars. Also in Dragon’s Dogma gear isn’t level bound which makes it easier. So if you want classless game wait for the new PSO mmo to come out as there is one on the way to america. Also if you were a scrawny mage and trained with magic all the time a sword would suck to carry and wield as you couldn’t focus as well with a big heavy sword ( one handed swords are pretty heavy alone). Your “magic sword” is magic and therefore could be weightless and easy to wield as it is a magic spell. Bows are hard to aim unless u train with them, your “magic bow” is magic and weightless and since its magic you can focus on your target and guide your magic arrow to its target.

Posted by: Gilgamesh.2561

Gilgamesh.2561

I’m waiting for an MMO someday like the Elder Scrolls (say Skryim), where your character can be whatever class/profession you develop them into.

This does diminish the point of having alts. Alts would be mostly cosmetic (as in you roll an alt to have a different appearing character).

Posted by: Sotaudi.1265

Sotaudi.1265

Rift has Callings, what most games call classes, and Souls, what most games call subclasses. You can mix and match subclasses (Souls), but not classes (Callings). Therefore, even if that was the case, it still does not help the OP’s argument.

Posted by: Shifted.3697

Shifted.3697

TSW is thataway>>>>>>>

Fear the Reaper

Posted by: Garenthal.1480

Garenthal.1480

Uh, the professions are already very varied. There’s really no need for a core game mechanic to change just to cater to what is likely to be a very tiny minority of players who can’t bring themselves to invest in an alt.

Posted by: Oudo.5236

Oudo.5236

Simply put, it’s how the game was designed. All 8 classes have vastly different mechanics and playstyles. You can’t grab a sword and become a warrior because you can’t change the elementalist’s mechanics to that of a warrior. If you want a class-less game, give the Secret World a try. It’s almost guaranteed that GW2 won’t shift to this.

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

It’s actually sort of funny hearing some of these arguments (not that I’m for it), considering this is exactly what they did with crafting.

Posted by: Rick.1378

Rick.1378

It’s a way of artificially making constant last longer. If you want to play an alt then you have to go thru the same content again, that’s awesome IMO if there is enough content for a unique experience every time, but past the starting levels this isn’t the case in GW2.

I love open systems such as in The Secret World where you can be any “class”, it just keeps content new and unique. The downfall is they have to dev much more content.

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

Because the game isn’t designed to have players be a anything they want to be on one character. If you like that kind of thing, RuneScape is probably what you’re interested in playing.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?