Why Dry Top Isn't Just a Boring Farm

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: zallis.2138

zallis.2138

I have been seeing a lot of people complain about how Dry Top isn’t good content because it is just a mindless farm. But people aren’t seeing the depth to it. I spend a lot of time in dry top, and most of the time I am doing just a random map that is unorganized where I normally am getting a T4 sandstorm. And doing Dry Top as an unorganized group IS a mindless farm.

But, the depth of the content comes from trying to get t6. You can join an unorganized map and get t4, but if you want the maximum rewards and profit, you are meant to do Dry Top in an organized map that is trying to get T6. I just got done with a T6 run and I really got to see how the map was designed to be played. 1 team at each area of the map, all efficiently completing events simultaneously while communicating on teamspeak. It felt like I was in a raid.

That is how Dry Top was meant to be played, but players just don’t see that. If you are a new player going to Dry Top, you will just see the mindless zergs and not know anything beyond that. There is nothing telling you to join an organized group. And when people just think that the unorganized run is all there is to do, they start complaining about how Anet is making bad content, when that really just isn’t true.

I urge people to join a guild on an organized run and see if you don’t find it way more fun.

Information about New Outriders
en.guildwars2.com/forum/guilds/recruitment/New-OutRiders-NOR-Recruitment-Post/first#post2721974

Posted by: Dreadforce.6980

Dreadforce.6980

Well my opinion of dry top is that its just a farm the reason being all you do is complete events to get geodes to get what you want or lock picks to get open chests rinse and repeat.

What you described sounds like a farm just organized and efficient but still a farm.

Posted by: zallis.2138

zallis.2138

But it isn’t a mindless boring one though. It takes some knowledge on what your doing. No matter what game it is, endgame always ends up consisting of doing the same stuff over and over again to get some items. People think that GW2’s endgame grind is worse than other’s but I am saying that it isn’t at dull as people are thinking it is

Information about New Outriders
en.guildwars2.com/forum/guilds/recruitment/New-OutRiders-NOR-Recruitment-Post/first#post2721974

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

How rewarding is it? I’m always in search of places or ways to get T6 for my next 2 Legendary. I found that so far Dry Top was the most balanced for this until they nerfed some of it, among others I get way less vicious fangs than I used to. Just when you thought you found the right map for this, Anet stabs you in the back, I hate it when they behave like this.

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

If you enjoy Dry Top, then it is not boring for you.

If you think that Dry Top is boring, well surprise! It is.

What is the point of this post anyway?

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

I forgot about that place. It was a thing or something or whatnot, right?

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

One would assume the point of the post is to inform people who don’t realize it can be better..that it can be better. What’s the point of asking what’s the point about a post making perfectly good points?

Bellizare.5816

One would assume the point of the post is to inform people who don’t realize it can be better..that it can be better. What’s the point of asking what’s the point about a post making perfectly good points?

Because it’s Halloween of course Vayne.

We will return to Dry Top shortly.

And of course, any activity benefits from coordination.

Vayne.8563

Not too much benefit in coordinating the frozen maw. lol

Posted by: Exxcalibur.6203

Exxcalibur.6203

Thanks. but nah; still incredibly boring.

“Skritt, I’m hit!"

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

What do you actually get for T6 though? The rewards all seem pretty un-desirable to me.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

Step 1: Push a Dry Top to T6.
Step 2: Look at T6 Vendor, and realize it sells only crap.
Step 3: Never come back to Dry Top.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Because there’s nothing of value to “farm”

You can make more gold, mats, whatever else floats your boat any place else in the world.

Also because farming is frowned upon heavily for some awkward reason….

Bellizare.5816

Not too much benefit in coordinating the frozen maw. lol

Well, when I teach language arts I call these rule breakers.

So to amend,

And of course, almost any activity benefits from coordination.

Bellizare.5816

Because there’s nothing of value to “farm”

You can make more gold, mats, whatever else floats your boat any place else in the world.

Also because farming is frowned upon heavily for some awkward reason….

I do Dry Top for living story, but that is the only reason. Like I said, if you enjoy it…

Vayne.8563

I love the ambrite weapon skins. That’s a reason to farm it for me.

Bellizare.5816

Yes Vayne. So it is not boring for you.

I could care less about ambrite weapon skins, so Dry Top is not where you will find me.

Just because you love farming Dry Top, it does not follow that everyone else will feel the same way.

But if one were to find fulfillment in farming Dry Top, I believe that doing so in an organized group would yield superior results.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I just wish the mats were tradable. It really is a bummer, to me at least, when the only time I get lucky drops is when the item in question is neither desirable to me nor tradable.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

If all I do is the same stuff over, and over, and over, I get bored. Fortunately, there are plenty of zones, dungeons, seasonal events, etc. that allow me to switch off so I don’t do the same things in the same places ad nauseam.

The Dry Top mechanics make it a bit more complicated than a standard zone, so that’s good. However, if all I did was Dry Top for hours, day after day, I’d be bored pretty quick, regardless of the mechanics.

Fortunately for me, I decided a long time ago that when I play, I would play for fun. So, I don’t gravitate to the most rewarding content and replay it until my eyes bleed. The way I play, there are no boring farms because I move on before I get bored.

What I miss, though, is doing temples with 10 people or so. I can do one temple, then I have to do something else. World bosses, after 3 I’ve had it — sometimes 1 or 2, but I’ve not done more than 3 since mega server of death (my interest, not the game).

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

So, what you’re saying is that it’s not just a mindless boring farm, it’s a boring farm that can be done mindlessly, but gets more profitable with some organisation.

I still haven’t seen any argument against the “boring farm” part, though.

Posted by: pandas.9450

pandas.9450

Probably talking about how it doesn’t change the fact the area is no more than a farm a farming map no matter how you sugar coat it

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

So, what you’re saying is that it’s not just a mindless boring farm, it’s a boring farm that can be done mindlessly, but gets more profitable with some organisation.

well, partaking in a large coordinated effort that has a chance of failing is actually not boring to some people. it stimulates any or all of their mind/reflexes/interest…….and if it does so, it is neither “mindless” or “boring”, regardless if its a farm. i personally don’t do it for the farm (there are much better places for that), i do it for fun.

you simply are uninterested in any version of a “farm” and ALL of the events on dry top…………and that’s fine…..but the OP’s post has some value. hapahazard/mindless group play is not the same as a coordinated effort……the latter might appeal to players the former doesn’t. some players might be unaware that seriously coordinated efforts are being done still.

that said, the tiered reward structure is only one aspect of Dry Top. I’d argue its good content because its so varied(lots of different events, multiple scavenger hunts, the entire map can be explored like a jump puzzle, some of the mobs are more challenging/have new mechanics, change in weather effects gameplay, etc)……it offers much more than any other map in the game . if one happens to dislike everything it offers (and thus call it “bad content”), i’m not sure there is any way Anet can please you w/ regards to open
-world content.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Relshdan.6854)

Vayne.8563

I could care less about ambrite weapon skins, so Dry Top is not where you will find me.

Just because you love farming Dry Top, it does not follow that everyone else will feel the same way.

But if one were to find fulfillment in farming Dry Top, I believe that doing so in an organized group would yield superior results.

Actually it’s not boring for me anyway, because I don’t play to farm. I play to enjoy myself and I find it enjoyable.

I don’t actually farm at all. I play Dry Top when I feel like doing it. If I were farming it, I’d have had all those weapons already.

The people who farm it burn out fast. The people who just play it for enjoyment are less likely to.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

You are assuming people don’t reach tier six because they can’ or because they care more about farming. I’ve seen unorganized maps get tier five and come close enough to T6 that is if anybody on the map cared to they could have obtained it. And those same maps most certainly were not farming heavy.

Simple fact is:

The map is no more fun at tier 6 than at any other tier

It is barely, insignificantly even, more rewarding at tier 6

In short. There isn’t anything to experience at tier 6 that isn’t near exactly the same at every other tier above four, the tier which causes the sand giant and other bosses to spawn. So what drive is there to reach for it?

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Vayne.8563

You are assuming people don’t reach tier six because they can’t. I’ve seen unorganized maps get tier five and come close enough to T6 that is if anybody on the map cared to they could have obtained it.

But they didn’t. Why?

In short. There isn’t anything to experience at tier 6 that isn’t near exactly the same at every other tier above four, the tier which causes the sand giant and other bosses to spawn. So why bother? It isn’t fun, it isn’t rewarding, and it certainly isn’t impressive.

It is fun, it is rewarding and it is impressive. See how easy that is?

Some people bother because it is fun for them. It’s like people are coming into this thread and telling the OP he shouldn’t be having fun.

What kind of attitude is that?

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

if you enjoy jps at all you should give dry top a real shot because buried locked chests are the best jump puzzle chests in the game. you farm events so you can get geodes to buy lockpicks, then during sandstorm you run around like mad collecting amazing loot. and if you arent in a t6 map, just save your geodes.

theres so much to do in that map once you have the event patterns down that you can go for literally hours without stopping. you can tag almost every event during a sandstorm. you can solo the events that work well with soloing. you can zerg and totally chill with no pressure, or you can buzz the zerg events for a free tag while on your way to the next event no one else does.

but if you dont like jps… you arent gonna get the hang of moving around the map very easily, and youll prolly have to force yourself to do things. because it takes a lot of practice to use aspect crystals quickly and precisely, and those are integral to the design.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Conncept.7638

You are assuming people don’t reach tier six because they can’t. I’ve seen unorganized maps get tier five and come close enough to T6 that is if anybody on the map cared to they could have obtained it.

But they didn’t. Why?

In short. There isn’t anything to experience at tier 6 that isn’t near exactly the same at every other tier above four, the tier which causes the sand giant and other bosses to spawn. So why bother? It isn’t fun, it isn’t rewarding, and it certainly isn’t impressive.

Some people bother because it is fun for them. It’s like people are coming into this thread and telling the OP he shouldn’t be having fun.

Nice reading comprehension.

I didn’t say the area isn’t fun, I think its a great addition to the game actually, leaps and bounds better than Southsun and most of the LS. But the simple fact is, there is no tactile or even noticeable difference in gameplay between the tier system once you get above tier four. And because of that, tier 6 is no more enjoyable than tier 4 for anyone that pays attention to anything besides artificial spoon fed progression. Same is same, you don’t proceed from one room, no matter how enjoyable, to a room identical to it save having a different number and expect a new or heightened response compared to the previous room.

Posted by: DDRitter.1872

DDRitter.1872

Definitely it’s not a boring farm and it’s a great improvement from other zergfest

Here in Baruch Bay [ES] we do several Dry Top T6 runs every week. It’s pretty easy to reach T6 once you organize the players in a few groups. If someone is interested in joining us, you can whisper me ingame in the previous minutes before the run (from XX:50 to XX:59) or join us on TS3 and ask for a taxi.

I leave here our current weekly schedule. If you understand spanish you are welcomed in our TS3 (ts3.guildwars2-spain.com, channel “Eventos de comunidad” and all the subchannels from there), or you can just enter to see if there are any changes on the schedule. Dry Top runs are indicated with the sand icon.

Attachments:

Vayne.8563

But they didn’t. Why?

I didn’t say the area isn’t fun, I think its a great addition to the game actually, leaps and bounds better than Southsun and most of the LS. But the simple fact is, there is no tactile or even noticeable difference in gameplay between the tier system once you get above tier four. And because of that, tier 6 is no more enjoyable than tier 4 for anyone that pays attention to anything besides artificial spoon fed progression. Same is same, you don’t proceed from one room, no matter how enjoyable, to a room identical to it save having a different number and expect a new or heightened response compared to the previous room.

It’s not that playing tier 6 is more enjoyable, but getting to it is…for me anyway. Because it does represent a level of challenge. You may not agree, but that doesn’t change the facts.

If you only play for rewards, you might think the rewards aren’t worth it. If you’re only playing to farm, you might think it’s not worth it.

Me, I think it is worth it.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

well, partaking in a large coordinated effort that has a chance of failing is actually not boring to some people. it stimulates any or all of their mind/reflexes/interest…….and if it does so, it is neither “mindless” or “boring”, regardless if its a farm. i personally don’t do it for the farm (there are much better places for that), i do it for fun.

you simply are uninterested in any version of a “farm” and ALL of the events on dry top…………and that’s fine…..but the OP’s post has some value. hapahazard/mindless group play is not the same as a coordinated effort……the latter might appeal to players the former doesn’t. some players might be unaware that seriously coordinated efforts are being done still.

that said, the tiered reward structure is only one aspect of Dry Top. I’d argue its good content because its so varied(lots of different events, multiple scavenger hunts, the entire map can be explored like a jump puzzle, some of the mobs are more challenging/have new mechanics, change in weather effects gameplay, etc)……it offers much more than any other map in the game . if one happens to dislike everything it offers (and thus call it “bad content”), i’m not sure there is any way Anet can please you w/ regards to open
-world content.

It doesn’t have a chance of failing, though. Just of being a bit less profitable. All it is is doing the same set of events at set intervals each hour, none of which is challenging in themselves. The ‘challenge’ is essentially just hoping that people are doing all the other events every hour. It’s not even really an organisational challenge: you can easily achieve T6 if everyone on the map is trying for it, by independently doing their own sequence of events. I guess you could call it a challenge of cooperation – getting enough people on map with the right attitude.

Yes, there are other aspects of Dry Top, and I’m all in favour of adding new open world maps to the game. But it’s a very small one, with limited replayability unless you want to do the farm (coins, etc, don’t respawn – you can’t even see where they were), and absolutely no diversity, since everything runs on clockwork. For all that it is unique in many ways, it’s actually a pretty bland zone.

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

I kind of soured on it after opening loads of chests and not getting a single fossil. I know I could get them guaranteed from pvp but I don’t enjoy pvp so I just gave up and do other things.

Posted by: Silmar Alech.4305

Silmar Alech.4305

That is how Dry Top was meant to be played, but players just don’t see that.

That’s an interesting insight, because until now, I really thought that for T6 drytop it is simply necessary to fill up the instance with enough players and everyone is doing events instead of just standing around and waiting for the sand storm or killing random creatues. “Doing events” means for me: just rush to and do whatever event pops up. If players are spread out randomly enough, I thought enough events are visited. I never was in a T6 drytop.

But organize that? I never thought that organization was required or asked from the game. I always saw myself as a member of a random zerg that does random events and that scatters after one event ended. Yes, I saw that there were organizations for “T6 drytop”, but I always thought they were only there to provide taxis to make the map fill up with active players that were willing to do events.

This is certainly a thing to improve – making it more visible to the players how this map could be played in a large scale. Ingame mechanics helping to organize the players and distributing them over the events. Making sure that there are enough players on the map and displaying if there are enough players. For example every event could be displayed on the map, and display if there are players active in an event or if a an event is left alone.

(edited by Silmar Alech.4305)

Posted by: Syzygy.5031

Syzygy.5031

I have been seeing a lot of people complain about how Dry Top isn’t good content because it is just a mindless farm. But people aren’t seeing the depth to it. I spend a lot of time in dry top, and most of the time I am doing just a random map that is unorganized where I normally am getting a T4 sandstorm. And doing Dry Top as an unorganized group IS a mindless farm.

But, the depth of the content comes from trying to get t6. You can join an unorganized map and get t4, but if you want the maximum rewards and profit, you are meant to do Dry Top in an organized map that is trying to get T6. I just got done with a T6 run and I really got to see how the map was designed to be played. 1 team at each area of the map, all efficiently completing events simultaneously while communicating on teamspeak. It felt like I was in a raid.

That is how Dry Top was meant to be played, but players just don’t see that. If you are a new player going to Dry Top, you will just see the mindless zergs and not know anything beyond that. There is nothing telling you to join an organized group. And when people just think that the unorganized run is all there is to do, they start complaining about how Anet is making bad content, when that really just isn’t true.

I urge people to join a guild on an organized run and see if you don’t find it way more fun.

Meanwhile half the players are crazy running from event to event tagging 2 mobs at each to get maxiumum returns and the other half are zerging.

T6 maps are a little more organised about it, but that doesn’t make the components any more fun.

I honestly don’t understand why people like this when so many complained about things like pavilion and clockwork chaos. Personally I far preferred both of those.

Meanwhile I get half the frame rate on DT as anywhere else in the game, even when there isn’t a sandstorm.

I try and avoid the place as it’s such a boring farm with the bonus of horrible frame rates.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

No matter if you do it organized or totally at random, the things you’re doing as an individual are still trivial and unchallenging. That’s what makes it boring.

Posted by: Asyntyche.4827

Asyntyche.4827

Meanwhile half the players are crazy running from event to event tagging 2 mobs at each to get maxiumum returns and the other half are zerging.

T6 maps are a little more organised about it, but that doesn’t make the components any more fun.

I honestly don’t understand why people like this when so many complained about things like pavilion and clockwork chaos. Personally I far preferred both of those.

Thats interesting, I’ve never actually been in a T6 map, think the best group I was part of once got T5, (I’m not part of a large guild and have limited, sporadic playtime available) so haven’t seen people event tagging myself.

Pavillion had a similar problem in that except for organised Gold runs (which again, I could never find my way into), everyone just opted for making sure to get kill credit for every boss rather than splitting up into groups.

Makes me wonder if a better reward structure for Dry top would be to gain a bigger bonus chest for each level of Zephyrite favour obtained (if you participated in the events) rather than per event?

Bellizare.5816

Actually it’s not boring for me anyway, because I don’t play to farm. I play to enjoy myself and I find it enjoyable.

I don’t actually farm at all. I play Dry Top when I feel like doing it. If I were farming it, I’d have had all those weapons already.

The people who farm it burn out fast. The people who just play it for enjoyment are less likely to.

I guess that I misunderstood.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Sounds incredibly unfun.

Posted by: Syzygy.5031

Syzygy.5031

Thats interesting, I’ve never actually been in a T6 map, think the best group I was part of once got T5, (I’m not part of a large guild and have limited, sporadic playtime available) so haven’t seen people event tagging myself.

Pavillion had a similar problem in that except for organised Gold runs (which again, I could never find my way into), everyone just opted for making sure to get kill credit for every boss rather than splitting up into groups.

Makes me wonder if a better reward structure for Dry top would be to gain a bigger bonus chest for each level of Zephyrite favour obtained (if you participated in the events) rather than per event?

The meta for those collecting Ambrite weapons seems to be to wait until sandstorm, then LFG or map hop to join a T5+ map, then tag all the things.

I’ve a couple of friends quite well on with these, and at xx:40 they’re off to DT, and if you go with them they’re basically unfollowable. By the time you realise they’re heading for some other event and start running, they’re already onto the one after that! So no, you probably won’t see them.

After sandstorm seems to be the time that the “rare” events/bosses spawn on T5+ maps, so they’re in the rotation.

Maybe a bonus, but I’d prefer some more skillful things in there, like Wurm and Teq, over endless trivial events and the tiering up of maps and vendors. Sand Giant doesn’t seem worth killing (same reward, more effort due to HP), so not so many bother.

How are tiered maps going to look in six months when most who want them have their skins? New players and late comers will have to grind geodes on mostly empty T1 and T2 maps? The zone needs a world boss or two and something a kittenallenging to hold interest.

Overall GW2 is too scheduled, and keeps getting ever more so. World Bosses every 15m, teq at xx, wurm at yy. DT at hh:40. Most employers and weather systems aren’t nearly that regimented!

Shouldn’t dragon invasions and sandstorms etc be a little more random?

I’m no game designer, so what do I know?…

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

Its zergy content, the only people potentially having more fun are the organizers. The zergling tagging along with an unorganized farming zerg has just as much fun tagging along with an organized farming zerg. By design, most people partaking in this have low responsibility/fun roles to play.

Personally I find Dry Top a lot more enjoyable when there’s barely anyone on the map, as events are almost always more enjoyable when done with very small groups of players. Sure sometimes zerg content can be sort of fun (20-30 man WvW groups), but most of the time the diffusion of responsibility simply results in less fun.

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

“I urge people to join a guild on an organized run and see if you don’t find it way more fun.”

I agree, I have always found it more fun to play the game with organized group runs.

Unfortunately that is not always possible.

Vayne.8563

I guess that I misunderstood.

I did say it’s a reason to farm it…but I still don’t farm. It’s just a reason.

I never farm anything, ever. Because I hate farming. Farming is boring to me, Dry Top is not. I’m not stressed about getting that stuff over a two year period.

But it’s a reason to farm. That’s all I’m saying.

Conncept.7638

But they didn’t. Why?

It’s not that playing tier 6 is more enjoyable, but getting to it is…for me anyway. Because it does represent a level of challenge. You may not agree, but that doesn’t change the facts.

If you only play for rewards, you might think the rewards aren’t worth it. If you’re only playing to farm, you might think it’s not worth it.

Me, I think it is worth it.

Fair enough, but that’s because of your personal outlook, not because of an objective view of the content. Me personally I think drytop is a ton of fun and the reward system has nothing at all to do with it one way or the other, I buy what I want when I want without even looking at what tier we’re on. But my studies in interactive media design throw red flags when something is repeated exactly the same, with no noticeable affect, and labeled as content which most players would consider improvement. How boring would most Rogue games be without their dungeon generator mechanic? If it was just one floor after the other without any physical or visible change? Variation isn’t an afterthought to design, its as necessary a design tenet as repetition; even in interactive media design.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

I really love Dry Top but I’m now kinda burnt out after my first Ambrite Warhorn. The grind is ridiculous x . x

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Thanks. but nah; still incredibly boring.

Not just boring, it’s a mess to travel in. I’d feel a lot more compelled to get there and help out if every inch of it didn’t feel like a jumping puzzle.

It’s not just a farm, it’s a chore.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Bellizare.5816

I was quoting your earlier post in which you indicated that you farmed Dry Top.

Bellizare.5816

Actually I don’t farm Dry Top.

The sand makes me itchy.

Posted by: Exeon.4358

Exeon.4358

I have farmed Dry top a couple of Times, But overall i think Dry top is an amazingly detailed part of the world and i Love it’s content and storyline, in fact i don’t think I’ve met anyone who disliked Dry top.

Then Again there are always players that hate farming, which is understandable I farm a lot, I don’t particularly like it, but when I want or need something I will farm for it

Bellizare.5816

I have farmed Dry top a couple of Times, But overall i think Dry top is an amazingly detailed part of the world and i Love it’s content and storyline, in fact i don’t think I’ve met anyone who disliked Dry top.

Then Again there are always players that hate farming, which is understandable I farm a lot, I don’t particularly like it, but when I want or need something I will farm for it

TBH, I found Dry Top a bit too much gimmick driven for my taste.

And farming is a great profession. We would starve without them.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

TBH, I found Dry Top a bit too much gimmick driven for my taste.

And farming is a great profession. We would starve without them.

Yeah, can’t knock the farming. Keeps my prices down on the trading post, and it can be a great way to zone out in game.

Dry Top just has some hideous feng shui problems. -_-

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632