Why Exactly are Legendaries Soulbound ?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

For the amount of work, time and money Im putting into them, the least you could ask for is that it is account bound, that way if you later on decide to move on to another profession or a new character, you still have access to it and not have it glued to one character only……

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: StormageddonBK.9842

StormageddonBK.9842

I agree completely.

Posted by: gimmethegepgun.1284

gimmethegepgun.1284

Same (good) argument goes for Laurel/Commendation-purchased Ascended items.

Posted by: zerorogue.9410

zerorogue.9410

Because the gifts are account bound. Create the legendary on the character you want to use it. Not to mention there soulbound on use…. if you plan on getting a legendary At least plan on who will wield it.

Fortus.6175

Because the gifts are account bound. Create the legendary on the character you want to use it. Not to mention there soulbound on use…. if you plan on getting a legendary At least plan on who will wield it.

I have a mesmer and a ele, since release I have loved my ele but ever since staff is so crappy (damage) I decided to switch to mesmer. Tastes change over time sometimes, and it sucks that for this 2 months i like one thing and then on the next 5 others i like another and I have to start from scratch……. legendary should be praised for being done, not for having it stuck on one character only…. I mean, i would undertsnad if they gave something other than aesthetic like 10% or 20% damage increase and range, but for just mere cosmetic uses it is NOT fair

Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

I’d love to have a more mobile Dreamer.

The only answer I can give is that it gives more motivation to get more Legendary weapons… which I’m doing now

Posted by: Zyphent.2967

Zyphent.2967

Same (good) argument goes for Laurel/Commendation-purchased Ascended items.

Eh, Laurels are going to be a very long term currency, eventually, you WILL have an abundance of them. Thing is, legendaries literally take months to earn, while the most expensive Laurel ascended piece will take 1 month to earn if you do your dailies and monthly that month. I don’t think you can quite say they’re on the same footing as someone who has spent 4 months on their legendary and is still going at it.

Fortus.6175

Lets face it, they need to be account bound, the amount of resources put into one, just to later on change your liking and COMPLETELY lossing the weapon, its NOT ok.

Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Big Boss.7902

Big Boss.7902

I have most of the things I need to make a legendary weapon, just need to save up the 600-700gold to buy the precursor. But I have 10 characters that I play on, say I switch between 3 weapons on each of them (I use more on most of them actually). Thats 30 weapons, basically I wouldn’t see that legendary very often.

Just doesn’t seem worth it, at least if it was account bound I could pass it around a few characters.
I also don’t see why anyone would not want this change, since in my opinion it actually adds value to a legendary.

M Norn War Thror McCaw| F Norn Ele Lana Lan| M Charr Guard True Devil| F Norn Rang Shora
Swift| M Norn Mes Ludicrous Larry| F Norn War Tanni Wolfmaster| M Sylvari Necro Orin Storm|
M Human Thief Clint Elmwood| M Norn Guard Thor Lightning God| Desolation.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Simple answer: Money

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: novalee marie.2458

novalee marie.2458

I plus one this. I see no reason why the legendary weapons can’t be account bound. It would be nice to be able to take all that work and effort and use it on multi characters.

Pinnacle of Responsibility [Mom]
Yak’s Bend

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Dumbest thing ever. Yes they should be account bound not soul bound. Huge amount of work for a character i don’t play anymore.

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

Both legendaries and ascended should be account bound even on use.

Like the karka shell accessory, which even stays account bound when you put a jewel in it

Posted by: Chorel.1720

Chorel.1720

Why ascended items aren’t account bound I have no idea. It’s obvious they hate people having alts. In order to gear up and alt with ascended it will take nearly a YEAR to do so. I would imagine they would add in more ways to obtain the gear.

Posted by: Will.9785

Will.9785

Agreed. Frankly I don’t think ANYTHING in the game should be soul bound but something like a legendary that takes all that work really shouldn’t be.

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

Agree! PLEASE! Im almost done with the incinerator for my necro, but i would love to level my ele. But i wont do it, because i want to use my epic dagger…

Posted by: Sharkinu.8096

Sharkinu.8096

Simple answer: item sink

All items from Master work and above are soulbound on use. Why should legendaries be special? Because it takes a lot of effort to get one? Volcanus or Infinite Light are exotics and take almost as much time and money to craft. Should they be made account bound too?

Fortus.6175

All items from Master work and above are soulbound on use. Why should legendaries be special? Because it takes a lot of effort to get one? Volcanus or Infinite Light are exotics and take almost as much time and money to craft. Should they be made account bound too?

short answer; yes, long answer, yes, they should.

Now for those the amount of work is definitely less, so I would say not realy, but Legendary, MOST DEFINITELY

Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I disagree. I think Arenanet is operating based on projected amounts of gem purchases (RL$ – > gems) if they make lengendary weapons, and things like dyes, soul bound, not account bound.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Berticus.5280

Berticus.5280

I believe you can make your legendary account bound by using the transmute trick. If you’re unfamiliar with it: Buy a white weapon from a vendor and transmute your legendary skin onto it (making sure to use the white item stats). This will make it account bound and then you just put it in the bank and pick it up on the desired character. Not an ideal situation but it works. Hope this helps!

Fortus.6175

I believe you can make your legendary account bound by using the transmute trick. If you’re unfamiliar with it: Buy a white weapon from a vendor and transmute your legendary skin onto it (making sure to use the white item stats). This will make it account bound and then you just put it in the bank and pick it up on the desired character. Not an ideal situation but it works. Hope this helps!

this is too risky to try it, can anyone provide me of some prove in videos or so?

Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Berticus.5280

Berticus.5280

I can confirm that it works. Not risky at all. Just don’t transmute the white item skin over the legendary one.

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

Does transmuting keep the “Legendary” status. I thought there was something about it beoming exotic when transmuted?

Here’s a video of the account bound transmutation, but it is before some of the changes.

Check out how fast he clicks through the transmute window. That’s a brave guy.

(edited by Thelgar.7214)

Posted by: GoZero.9708

GoZero.9708

People saying that it’s a money sink aren’t thinking clearly. If I have a Warrior and an Engineer, I’m not going to make 2 Predators so they can both have one. I don’t think anybody in their right mind would do that rather than just making a different Legendary.

Does transmuting keep the “Legendary” status. I thought there was something about it beoming exotic when transmuted?

Here’s a video of the account bound transmutation, but it is before some of the changes.

It does keep them as “Legendary” but it messes with the look when you link it in chat. My recommendation is to never transmute a Legendary, even if you don’t need the Toughness and Vitality.

Posted by: Sollith.3502

Sollith.3502

People saying that it’s a money sink aren’t thinking clearly. If I have a Warrior and an Engineer, I’m not going to make 2 Predators so they can both have one. I don’t think anybody in their right mind would do that rather than just making a different Legendary.

It does keep them as “Legendary” but it messes with the look when you link it in chat. My recommendation is to never transmute a Legendary, even if you don’t need the Toughness and Vitality.

They really need to work on the transmuting or allow players to choose the stats they want when making a legendary =/ I’m actually quite hesitant to make a legendary when it doesn’t even have the stats I want… besides its the effects players are after when making a legendary anyways….

I do agree that they should be account bound; why the heck would anyone put all that effort into making a redundant for an alt?

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

Got to agree that they should be Account Bound.

I do, as I’ve said in the past, see the problems with purely making them AB however, as there are Legendary weapons being sold and traded on the market already. But an Account Bound on Equip status on the items, which would allow for them to still be sold, but once equipped, turn Account Bound, doesn’t seem like something that’s too far fetched an idea to implement.

When I made Bolt and Incinerator, I enjoyed playing my Thief the most, then about a month ago, I started enjoying Warrior more. I still enjoy playing my Warrior, and do use a Sword, so it “stings” a bit that my Bolt is stuck on my Thief, especially now that I’ve gotten to Rank 10+ in WvW and feel more and more punished by ArenaNet for wanting to play multiple characters.

Basically, the whole fact that these weapons are Soulbound, after switching over to a new profession as my favorite to play, makes me not want to spend any more money and time making new ones. I won’t make a duplicate Bolt in example. I’d like to make Juggernaut, but it’ll be Soulbound, so if I ever feel like switching my favorite professions to play again, that’s another Legendary stuck on a character I ain’t currently enjoying.

If they were Account Bound, I would be far more likely to spend time, money and effort into making more of the Legendary weapons. I know that I will some day want to play something other than my Warrior for a while. Just like I don’t “main” my Thief anymore. The way they’re designing the game lately however, makes this feel extremely punishing. Soulbound status on basically anything that takes a large/huge amount of effort to get (not just Legendary weapons, e.g., Infinite Light, Ascended earrings/amulets). WvW progression that’s bound to characters, and not the account. Etc.

I’m feeling less and less motivated to play every day, because it feels like whatever I do is just solidifying what specific character I must play forwards, unless I wish to feel like I am losing a ton of effort, money and/or time invested from changing to a different character.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

(edited by Absconditus.6804)

Fortus.6175

too much effort to dump it on only one character, especially since you have several champions who use the same weapon, i mean, for gods sake, it is a freaking legendary, just the fact I actually managed to get one is amazing, let me boast about it with all my characters….not just one…

Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Galk the Bloody.4629

Galk the Bloody.4629

Because Anet hates players that play more than one toon

Posted by: Zyphent.2967

Zyphent.2967

Because Anet hates players that play more than one toon

Exactly this. This is why PvP glory, achievements, and things like daily Karma jugs are all bound to one character.

Wait…

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I have most of the things I need to make a legendary weapon, just need to save up the 600-700gold to buy the precursor. But I have 10 characters that I play on, say I switch between 3 weapons on each of them (I use more on most of them actually). Thats 30 weapons, basically I wouldn’t see that legendary very often.

Altitus…she is a harsh mistress.

Posted by: Dog.1472

Dog.1472

There is absolutely no reason for them not to be account bound instead of soulbound. Considering the amount of work that is put into getting one, I personally wouldn’t want to have to craft a legendary for each individual character just to enjoy it.

“Please, you can look down on people without having to be physically above them.
As an asura, I do this all the time.”

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

For the amount of work, time and money Im putting into them, the least you could ask for is that it is account bound, that way if you later on decide to move on to another profession or a new character, you still have access to it and not have it glued to one character only……

But that wouldn’t play into their cash shop ploys.

Fortus.6175

But that wouldn’t play into their cash shop ploys.

dunno man, people already pay the transmutation stones, and making a legendary is already very expensive, im not half way there and i have dorpped some money on it already, but i dont plan to do a second one, so either way they are not getting that money, as a matter of fact I would actually start to believe they would be becoming one of those greedy Korean MMOS (or at least a transcition state) and would be more weary on how i spend my money because…. if i see this beai=tiful MMO falling to greediness too, Im gona quit it….like I have done a thousand times before.

As it is, I will only spend money on one, Anet only ges money for one’s worth, they only decrease my sense of reward by not giving me the choice to show it off and still get no money out of it, either way is a lose/neutrl situation where the costumer loses and Anet can also on the long run.

Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Aphix.9846

Aphix.9846

Legendarys should be account bound. Same for ascended jewels, take’s like 3 months to get amulet + 2 earrings, that’s already silly, but what if I get another build/alt ? wait another 3 months ? That’s dumb, simple. I recently changed my power build to condi, I had p/v/t ascended items bought and now it’ll take me another 3 months to get them with condition stats. Or at least make it possible to change to stats of the items for a certain cost.
Tbh should make ascended items available through WvW as well, like 500 badges+ some gold for each or smth would be reasonable (if I’m not mistaken one of the devs said something about making ascended items available through wvw eventually, not sure tho)

(edited by Aphix.9846)

Posted by: Orc Slayer.2780

Orc Slayer.2780

They should be account bound once you make them; they should but soulbound after you equip them. Why? So you have reason to keep playing the game ( get on the treadmill, the legendary way)

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

They should be account bound once you make them; they should but soulbound after you equip them. Why? So you have reason to keep playing the game ( get on the treadmill, the legendary way)

so you have no fun in game in anything else and grinding for legendary is the only reason to play the game?^^
i think when you finally finished your legendary then you can start playing even better doing wvw with your legendary so you can show it to everyone …
i personally dont have fun in grinding…. i do it to have the legendary but when i have it all i want to do is fight in wvw / dungeons / fractals / new events with this legendary and finally forget about the grind…

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

Again, a strange argument here. Because of the rarity to obtain and item, one has the reasoning that it should be account bound? So why stop there? Exotics are rare, but they become soulbound on equip, why does no one complain about that? Needless to say, I would think this is more of a player issue (not thought about it enough and which character they wanted it to be on) then a game issue.

Posted by: Nappychappy.7046

Nappychappy.7046

There is no grind, and farming isn’t allowed, you can just simply make another one.

Enough with the doom and gloom people gee whiz!

You are using 21 of 100 infractions ermm, PMs.

Posted by: CookMETEnder.7582

CookMETEnder.7582

Why ascended items aren’t account bound I have no idea. It’s obvious they hate people having alts. In order to gear up and alt with ascended it will take nearly a YEAR to do so. I would imagine they would add in more ways to obtain the gear.

Ascended Rings – Fractals
Ascended Earrings – Guild Bounty
Ascended Back – Fractals or Craft

Meaning the only item you need Laurels to purchase is the Amulet…

Posted by: Orion the Cursed.1206

Orion the Cursed.1206

Again, a strange argument here. Because of the rarity to obtain and item, one has the reasoning that it should be account bound? So why stop there? Exotics are rare, but they become soulbound on equip, why does no one complain about that? Needless to say, I would think this is more of a player issue (not thought about it enough and which character they wanted it to be on) then a game issue.

I agree. This argument can also be used to justify saying, “since it takes me so long to level my 1st character to 80, i should be able to transfer my experience to my alts and if Anet disagrees, it means they are after my money.”

I believe the people who want legendaries to be account bound are people who do not believe in putting effort in to improving and achieving things in life. They feel insecure when they see someone else with a bigger achievement. There is no discrimination against people based on the number of Legendaries they own. People should get Legendaries because the challenge of getting one (or because they have extra cash and want to suport the game).

Fortus.6175

I agree. This argument can also be used to justify saying, “since it takes me so long to level my 1st character to 80, i should be able to transfer my experience to my alts and if Anet disagrees, it means they are after my money.”

I believe the people who want legendaries to be account bound are people who do not believe in putting effort in to improving and achieving things in life. They feel insecure when they see someone else with a bigger achievement. There is no discrimination against people based on the number of Legendaries they own. People should get Legendaries because the challenge of getting one (or because they have extra cash and want to suport the game).

your analogy is bad and you should feel bad.

Leveling up a character is no way near as an ordeal compared to crafting a legendary. It has taken me near 5 months to get to the half point of making a legendary due to family/work/studies constrains, but it took me nearly 3 weeks to get a character full lvl and 80% map completition. You have to take into account time and effort too, lvling is easies compared to making a legendary, heck you can make a character go from lvl 1 to lvl 80 in a day by crafting, only takes around 25 gold and lots of patience.

Certainly legendaries could be a time/money/effort sink, but I wouldnt want to g through 7 months of this ordeal (yes, to me most of it is an ordeal since the only reliable way of making money for it is doing dungeons like CoF and running constatnt karma trains, which, i dont find fun, merely a means to an end) If the game were to boil down to it then this MMO wouldnt be any different to all MMOs which unfortunately I had to quit due to them slowly and almost unnoticeably making me spend time doing things that I thought would be fun but were only means to an end that wasnt really worth.

Legendaries should be worth their completition, nor their constant making. I play ele/mesmer and guardian interchangably, I would like to fully equip them but given the time constraints I face (and most of the game community, who like me, have a family and work) I would like to see my times worth evenly distributed on all my characters, not a selected one.

Though, I can understand the counter point; legendaries should be tied to a character like a commander is; not to be memorizing a thousand people when its actually only one, as in Fortus is a commander but my alts name is Gardenia and now there is a new commander, that would cause confusion and what not, and would require crediting the name again, same would apply to legendaries, it would not be fun watching a new lvl 80 wielding a bifrost. So here is my proposition; make a tittle, call it " ‘Insert user’s name here’ the legendary" , now you can wield the legendary and all characters and everyone knows it is you, you keep your legendary status and I dont have to spend 2 years crafting 3 legendaries Bifrost for my guardian, mesmer and ele. Unless all Anet wants is the money, in which case they would make you craft it everytime, I would have a reason to believe this game is starting to slowly lean towards the Korean market MMO , in which case I would be moving on onto the next MMO which promises not to be another korean MMO, until that one does too and cycle continues….

Legendary SoloQ

(edited by Fortus.6175)

Posted by: Ishiga.6053

Ishiga.6053

This whole problem boils down to the fact that Legendaries are incessant time and currency sinks for no good reason.

If their method of acquisition were less of a grind and more of a quest, people would hardly feel their binding status needs addressing.

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

We stop there because basic exotics don’t even come close in terms of difficulty/effort to obtain.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Fortus.6175

We stop there because basic exotics don’t even come close in terms of difficulty/effort to obtain.

specially since doing an easy dungeon (cough COF cough) can give you access to a staff in little to 5-6 runs

Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

A legendary is bound to several achievements, including completion of the personal story. ANet already said they won’t change the fact they’re tradeable, but they shouldn’t have been from the beginning, that was a bad design decision – I agree with that. They should be soulbound the moment they’re created as they show some degree of dedication with a specific character, and only that character should be able to use it. Imo there shouldn’t be a total makeover kit and a name change contract and such things either, but I guess ANet had to make some tradeoffs to satisfy everybody. After all, this is an MMORPG and everybody should stick with the choices he oder she made when the character was created and how it developed while playing.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: ScottBroChill.3254

ScottBroChill.3254

The problem lies with the fact that weapons are tied to skill bars. At any moment the weapon could be nerfed for a specific character/profession and become useless, and you have the inability to use it on a character/profession that could get some use out of it. Then that “legendary achievement” becomes wasted space in the inventory or storage.