Are expansion needed? [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: neol.5438

neol.5438

I just felt forced to create this topic. Check out those link. Videos not done by me but I think the reasoning and ideas brought up could be really helpfull for both the community and the staff.

Discuss!

Posted by: Cloudwalkernz.1328

Cloudwalkernz.1328

I recently view this video by WoodenPotatoes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AidBQxGQsSg

After viewing this it got me thinking. I am not going to list his arguments here but some of my own thoughts as a player of this game.

I agree with WoodenPotatoes, GW2 sorely need an expansion. Like most players I am beginning to get bored with this game. I have pretty much done everything many many times. Also I am getting very bored with all the zerging and grinding, I need new contents to keep my interest.

I know about the living stories but I have 2 problems with this:
1) I hate drip feed temporary contents that have a time limit. This means whenever I take a break I will missed out on that contents. For people with real life, playing every day is not always possible.
2) The quality and quantity vary greatly week to week. Some weeks can overload you where there aren’t enough time to do all the contents, whereas some weeks you can pretty much finishes all the new contents in the first 3 to 4 days.

I hope Anet will make an expansion for GW2. Otherwise, like most people I will be moving on to the new AAA mmo when it releases.

Posted by: Przemek.6835

Przemek.6835

stop begging for expansion, it is all over the place and not just in gw2 forums

whats up with all this “blah blah blah expansion today, tomorrow another one”

stop this

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

It continues to blow my mind how an expansion of content that people don’t like will somehow magically fix the problems they have with the game.

Ya know what. I DON’T want an expansion. I’m not going to drop $50 or so if I don’t have to. Arena.net wants to try and give it to me for free through the Living Story? I’m gonna let ’em try.

Posted by: Xcom.1926

Xcom.1926

They definitely need an expansion. It will help with their declining revenue and also help bring new players to the game and also old players back into the game. B2P games depend on box sales and they need a boost in box sales.

My issue with this is, when can they release an expansion? NCSoft won’t let them compete with WildStar next year. So if we get an expansion it will be end of 2014 or somewhere around 2015. That seems to late in my opinion.

Cloudwalkernz.1328

My issue with this is, when can they release an expansion? NCSoft won’t let them compete with WildStar next year. So if we get an expansion it will be end of 2014 or somewhere around 2015. That seems to late in my opinion.

Yea I think it is the main reason why Anet been so hush hush about an expansion. Even if Anet start working on an expansion today, I doubt we will see it until end of 2014. I will most probably be playing ECO by then or even WS if the review is good.

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

We don’t need a expansion cause its the same stuff anyway.We need a cash shop removal so theyll focus more on the game than on their little baby.

Posted by: Ahlen.7591

Ahlen.7591

We don’t need a expansion cause its the same stuff anyway.We need a cash shop removal so theyll focus more on the game than on their little baby.

lol….

“Screw Anet, they don’t deserve money they should just keep hosting the enormous cost of bandwidth and server allocation for nothing!”

Godkitten , kids these days..

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

lol….

“Screw Anet, they don’t deserve money they should just keep hosting the enormous cost of bandwidth and server allocation for nothing!”

Godkitten , kids these days..

They did it for Guild Wars.

Truth be told, GW2 is just making money for WildStar. That’s NCsoft’s main game now. GW2 is just here to make money for the development of that game. Watch and see. Everything that was supposed to be in GW2 from the beginning will be in that game.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

Posted by: Exosferatu.2961

Exosferatu.2961

1. Expansion occurs in Guild Wars 2: The Reverie of Scarlet Briar, Trahearne, and Kormir.
2. Players facerolled content within a month.
3. Eddard Stark haunted Arena Net headquarters and warned developers: “Brace yourselves… kitten meow nyaa storm is coming on forums.”
4. Spoiled and ungrateful players in agony on forums like they once were prior to expansion.
5. QQ infinity.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Truth be told, GW2 is just making money for WildStar. That’s NCsoft’s main game now. GW2 is just here to make money for the development of that game. Watch and see. Everything that was supposed to be in GW2 from the beginning will be in that game.

GW1 ALSO had a cash shop, for the record… one that you couldn’t use in-game gold for, at that.

Posted by: Assyrian.4827

Assyrian.4827

1. Expansion occurs in Guild Wars 2: The Reverie of Scarlet Briar, Trahearne, and Kormir.
2. Players facerolled content within a month.
3. Eddard Stark haunted Arena Net headquarters and warned developers: “Brace yourselves… kitten meow nyaa storm is coming on forums.”
4. Spoiled and ungrateful players in agony on forums like they once were prior to expansion.
5. QQ infinity.

LOL +1

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

GW1 ALSO had a cash shop, for the record… one that you couldn’t use in-game gold for, at that.

It wasn’t filled with useless kitten every 2 weeks.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

Posted by: HELLruler.4820

HELLruler.4820

The problem is that it’ll take months of work to make an expansion, that means no more new content or a lot less new content AND we have to pay for it
They already get a lot of money from black lion new items every new release and we get new stuff for free. No need for expansion

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

I really would want one.

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

Posted by: kitanas.3596

kitanas.3596

OP, The problem with that assessment is that why can’t they use the living story to put that content into the game?

On a similar note, the only temp thing in this patch is (I believe) a single Meta-achievement

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

GW didn’t get that cash shop until Nightfall was 6 months old. Doing the math, it was 3 years until they added a cash shop and all that was in it were BONUS missions.

The thing that kept GW going for so long wasn’t the content it was the great PvP it had and still has. GvG, Ha, TA, and RA were what kept people playing. Not to mention Anet doing GvG tournies that gave away $350k -$1mil every 6 months or so.

Cloudwalkernz.1328

OP, The problem with that assessment is that why can’t they use the living story to put that content into the game?

On a similar note, the only temp thing in this patch is (I believe) a single Meta-achievement

You can put the same contents into the game through living story but in WoodenPotatoes ’s video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AidBQxGQsSg), he put up a good argument why it is better to deliver the new contents in an expansion.

As I have mention before the problem I have with the current living stories is that the contents vary greatly from week to week. Sure this week is only an achievement and a back piece. But previous weeks you will miss entire new maps, jumping puzzles, new weapon and armour skins and whole regions like the SAB. etc.

I would more than happy if Anet can actually deliver the same level of contents you would normally see in an expansion in the living stories format. However, currently the living stories contents fall well short of that. And I am simply getting tired with the drip-feed temporary contents.

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

The current issue with this whole “expansion worth of content via the living story” is that it is just a temporary solution. Eventually players will tire from the constant achievement grind (as seen on the forums by players who are already tired of it). Every LS that has come out is nothing but achievement grind for a new backpack or mini. They are buggy, rushed, story has holes in it that don’t make sense, a mess basically.

What an expansion would bring (if going by typical expansion guidelines) is a new race, profession(s), a new map, new “quests”, new personal story, new armors and weapons, and either new features or an overhaul of existing features.

With an expansion as well, it puts Anet back into the spotlight. Right now, there is nothing really out there to advertise GW2. Nothing that is catching the eye and making players check this game out, or want to return to it. An expansion would definitely turn heads and show new and old players that GW2 is still alive and strong and now expanding with something new. It peaks interest and sends fan sites and game sites in a tizzy with all the new information. It gets the word out so to speak.

This LS content is not doing that. All it is doing is the whole “keep players playing” content (which is something they stated they were against doing).

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

Of course there will be an expansion at some point.But why to hurry?Let the game 1st be release in China and Corea.And then Anet may start working on the expansion.
When the game is officially released in Asia i see them starting working on an expansion.
Before that?Sorry to burst your bubble but you can only dream it happening.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

It continues to blow my mind how an expansion of content that people don’t like will somehow magically fix the problems they have with the game.

Ya know what. I DON’T want an expansion. I’m not going to drop $50 or so if I don’t have to. Arena.net wants to try and give it to me for free through the Living Story? I’m gonna let ’em try.

Expansions expand the game’s gameplay.

They add new gameplay features to the main game.
Box price funds this big change.

Things like Housing System, could be in.
or new Instanced PvP modes other than SPvP’s boring 5 vs 5.
New WvW features like Naval Battles.
New Classes and races to play.
New Weapons and skills to play with.
New Crafting system.
New Skill Tree system or a updated Trait system.
Raid Dungeons.

So much can be done that adds something new that we havnt experienced.

Posted by: masterJP.5048

masterJP.5048

Wooden patato’s is the best ?

Lordy Green , THE Elementalist
Angela Sky , THE Guardian
Orochimarei , THE Necromancer

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

Threads of this nature already exist. Prepare for “there will be no expansions” or “the crappy LS/bi-weekly releases are your expansion” responses.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

I think it’s largely due to the fact that ANet has to think of what they’re actually going to bring about in an expansion in lieu of the LS strategy.

Tbh, I personally think there are several reasons why an expansion will eventually need to form. Firstly, because large clumps of land. I can see small sections like maybe that thin strip between TlF and SFF being opened up for a LS update, but for example, The Magus And Magumma regions – I don’t think people will be very impressed if they were done in a mere LS patch, especially given how big they are. Also, considering now little adherence to the personal story, and how little cohesion the LS storyline has, for serious things, I would prefer a formal expansion personally.

Of course, WP explains pretty much the pros and cons well enough. I don’t think I can say anything else without mimicking him.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

SOMETHING is needed to continue the main storyline, I don’t care if it’s an expansion or a living story so long as they do it well.