Why Hate on RNG?

Why Hate on RNG?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

I see many people hating on RNG.

BUT..

Life is based on RNG. Your conception was RNG. Out of 375 million sperm cells, one only get to fuse with one eggcell and formed you.

1/375000000. that’s still worse than the mystic forge.

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

It’s more like this though.

You throw 375000000 items into the mystic toilet and you are bound to get a precursor.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: Winfernal.9208

Winfernal.9208

I can’t imagine myself enjoying MMOs this much without RNG. The excitement would be gone.. only straight-forward “goals”.

“Kharomir” – Human Guardian
[DW] Dynasty Warriors, [TNA] The Northern Assembly
http://www.farshiverpeaks.com

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: Daroon.1736

Daroon.1736

Because it’s a completely unnecessary mechanism that randomly discriminates between players. I can’t think of one situation that occurs in-game that uses RNG that couldn’t be reworked to offer fixed rewards.

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: lisamee.2408

lisamee.2408

RNG is a game breaker, especially if the majority of the game play is based on the RNG. Then add the lack of items to play for…and the RNG really is annoying plus no fun. Then add the diminished returns on top of that.

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Life includes an element of randomness. I would argue, otoh, that human life is more about establishing predictability and excluding random variation. Even at the level of DNA or cellular level standard outcomes in replication are the ones that occur most often. Random variation would more likely indicate a diseased state.

Randomness has no inherent value it simply is and makes up an aspect of our life. It also makes up an aspect of our loot systems in games. Loot systems are rules-based systems that employ RNG to spread outcomes, which can be simulated and are known, across a player base. The problem with ‘RNG’ in GW2 is that it is possible to play the game and experience little to no reward for play beyond that of the gameplay itself. This is a problem in a game and why some people have a problem with ‘RNG’. I believe the RNG is fine, it’s doing what it should. It’s the loot system that needs to be fixed.

(edited by Raine.1394)

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Make specific Precursors available through a time-intensive, difficult process, but make it guaranteed that if you do x, y and z, and get a, b and c, you get the precursor you want. Then make them account bound.

Fixed.

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

BUT..

Life is based on RNG. Your conception was RNG. Out of 375 million sperm cells, one only get to fuse with one eggcell and formed you.

probably because life isnt a random number generator, truth is that sperm cell hit the egg because it was the right time, the right cell, and due to various behaviors of the parents.

problem with random number generator is, it isnt really random, there is a pattern, nothing a computer can do is random. the whole point of a random number generator is to try to seem random, and how effective it is at mimicing random behaviors is a science in and of itself.

one of the main flaws of your average number generators is that while in aggregate it seems random, it has very real patterns that end up repeating in specfic cases. Now taking this into a game, it essentially means you have some people who would be consistently luckier than other people and some who are consistently unlucky.

So yeah if you are the guy who the rng hates by equation and pattern, then you probably dont like the rng too much. This is why some people believe in having back ups in your random, like if you do something X times you will win at least once, or multiple methods to achieve something involving rng.

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

It’s more like this though.

You throw 375000000 items into the mystic toilet and you are bound to get a precursor.

One of the reasons I gave up on legendaries.
I never liked playing lotteries and slot machines.

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: Heijincks.9267

Heijincks.9267

RNG is a game breaker, especially if the majority of the game play is based on the RNG. Then add the lack of items to play for…and the RNG really is annoying plus no fun. Then add the diminished returns on top of that.

Only a game breaker if you’re building a legendary.

(edited by Heijincks.9267)

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: Iris.5918

Iris.5918

Exactely

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

BUT..

The main reason why I hate the amount of RNG in this game is because I was promised Skill Based Progression. Where is my Skill while throwing yellow swords into a forge in the middle of the city I bought off the trading post while farming a country side for gold in the attempt to get a “Pre-Legendary” item. That, when first mentioned, was suppose to mean I have done everything in the game and had accomplished something most will not, when in reality, actually just like in life, you can win with money.

I just feel they went with horrible RNG to push people towards buying Gems to turn into gold. Which at the current rates is laughable.

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

GW2’s Random Number Generator (RNG) is not completely random per say (i.e. pseudorandom), because it is based on code; an algorithm. The only true RNG, in terms of spitting out random values, is when you CPU fails and gives errors. Instead of giving zeros and ones it starts to give other numbers. I forgot what the test was but it involved physically failing the CPU so it generated errors which gave random numbers – this was a true RNG.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: thisolderhead.5127

thisolderhead.5127

Statistically every player has come up as the “1” not the “375000000” at least once.

Based on the RNG sooking on this forum the player also believes that level of initial luck should confer entitlement onwards for the next one to one hundred years.

Anyone on here with a half a brain no doubt marvels that many posters were in fact the smartest/fasted of the batch at conception – I see in utero alcohol as responsible for almost every RNG whine post.

Feeling bad due to my response does not mean it was a personal attack.
It may just be that your original statement was wrong.
Please try again.

Why Hate on RNG?

thisolderhead.5127

GW2’s Random Number Generator (RNG) is not completely random per say (i.e. pseudorandom), because it is based on code; an algorithm. The only true RNG, in terms of spitting out random values, is when you CPU fails and gives errors. Instead of giving zeros and ones it starts to give other numbers. I forgot what the test was but it involved physically failing the CPU so it generated errors which gave random numbers – this was a true RNG.

Did you just honestly try to say that a pseduorandom number generator as is used by GW2 lacks the randomness required for a GAME?

By the way – most true random number generators are not “broken CPU” based, do you just make kitten up for the internet in your spare time?

Please try again.

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

No its a game breaker in all aspects of this game…

Loot drops
Item creations (mystic crapper)
Crafting
Dungeons Rewards
Fotm Rewards
Laurel rewards
Karma rewards
wvw badges
World chests
Cash shop chests

List goes on…

Why Hate on RNG?

thisolderhead.5127

Loot drops
Crafting
Dungeons Rewards
Fotm Rewards
Laurel rewards
Karma rewards
wvw badges
World chests
Cash shop chests

List goes on…

A) Your presentation is misleading – saying some of those CAN be affected is different to ARE affected, nice try though.

B) RNGs exist in almost every form of game – computer or otherwise (with a few notable exceptions), if all gamers harden up an accept that and everyone will sleep better.

C) Would one prefer to trade the dice for capability, RNG for knowledge and skill? If I’m not mistaken most people play games to avoid real life (where most are losing, and not due to a RNG).

C2) Those who are avidly unhappy on this one are playing the wrong game – there are pure skill/knowledge games, this is not one.

Please try again.

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

I hate random because it is the equivalent of removing all SKILL that might otherwise be necessary for a player to advance. i.e. “Wow, you got X because you were so good! Oh, wait… no, you were just lucky. Lame”.

Boxers in the ring, they don’t win because they are lucky, they win because they have skills.

@OP Life is not based on RNG. And when it appears to be, it is only because we can not see the whole picture which is one of cause and effect whereby nothing is random.

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: Sharkinu.8096

Sharkinu.8096

The hate for RNG doesn’t really make sense. People are acting like this is a new concept, but this was a thing since the first RPG ever. Mini Polar Bear in GW1 was a RNG game, every rare loot in GW1, like Dryad Bow and Frog Scepter was a RNG game. Diablo was full of RNG. I don’t see how GW2 is different.

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

We hate on the RNG when it’s over-used and with bad tuning and design, then all the “it’s there to drive you to the cash shop” accusations begin be they unfounded/correct, and that then creates a lot of bandwagon mentality/actual agreement, which in turn creates a lot of negative PR/whingeing.

Whichever way you see it, the only way to describe this much RNG with such low probabilities is that it’s lazy game design.

Irony…. xD

Why Hate on RNG?

Hellkaiser.6025

Loot drops
Crafting
Dungeons Rewards
Fotm Rewards
Laurel rewards
Karma rewards
wvw badges
World chests
Cash shop chests

List goes on…

A) Your presentation is misleading – saying some of those CAN be affected is different to ARE affected, nice try though.

B) RNGs exist in almost every form of game – computer or otherwise (with a few notable exceptions), if all gamers harden up an accept that and everyone will sleep better.

C) Would one prefer to trade the dice for capability, RNG for knowledge and skill? If I’m not mistaken most people play games to avoid real life (where most are losing, and not due to a RNG).

C2) Those who are avidly unhappy on this one are playing the wrong game – there are pure skill/knowledge games, this is not one.

A) Everything IS affected by RNG as everything yields loot table rewards in some form or another, it’s your point that’s moot.

B) True, but the badly tuned and unrewarding ones usually get forgotten as people get sick of them.

C) Completely pointless comment.

C2) Subjective opinion is subjective. Saying it as if it’s true does not MAKE it true.

Irony…. xD

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: Rieselle.5079

Rieselle.5079

People hate RNG because they dont think things through properly.

Let’s assume ANet wants to keep the ratio of item rarities at a certain level (whether their intended ratio is correct is another debate.)
So for every 1,000 blue/green items dropped in the world, a yellow gets dropped. For every 100,000 items that drop in the world, a precursor is dropped, etc.

So let’s assume ANet wants to keep those ratios constant.

- If they make a token system, the tokens required to get a precursor would need to be high enough so that precursors are just as rare as they are with RNG. ie. a ridiculous amount. Remember when the game first released? People complained everywhere about the high token costs of dungeon armours.

Because making miniscule progress towards a goal is work. Whereas gambling on RNG, where you might get your precursor in the first run or the 10000th run, triggers our brain endorphins more because EVERY run has a tiny chance of getting you that item.
Whereas with a token system, all you see is a long, long grind ahead.

- If they make a skill based system, the bar would be so high that most of the people complaining would not be skilled enough to get the item. Anyone with lag would never be able to get the item. Anyone who’s older, has a disability, or is new to games, would never be able to get it. So basically a small group of players would be able to get the item (and indeed, most of the precious items) whereas everyone else gets nothing.

So yeah, ultimately, if we’re talking single systems, then RNG is the most “fair” and “fun” out of the alternatives.

Of course, the best of all worlds would be a hybrid system – imagine if, when running a dungeon, you had a chance of getting your item via RNG from drops and chests, earned a token that would eventually get you the item, and also there’s a super hard optional boss or JP that is competitively ranked, and the top performers every week would get the item instantly.

(edited by Rieselle.5079)

Why Hate on RNG?

Hellkaiser.6025

^ the opposition to a skill-based system used by this, honestly made me want to vomit.

Irony…. xD

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: Kilrain Daggerspine.6843

Kilrain Daggerspine.6843

BUT..

Life is based on rng? may I have some of those muffins your eating? there are very few things in life that are random, if any outside of purposly gambling wether its with coin or with your life.

Rieselle, some rng is expected in games, however there is such a thing as having to many RNG elements, and gw2 definatly does.

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: Rieselle.5079

Rieselle.5079

^ the opposition to a skill-based system used by this, honestly made me want to vomit.

I guess that’s what they call thinking with your gut rather than your brain?
Feel free to actually post a considered argument.

Life is based on rng? may I have some of those muffins your eating? there are very few things in live that are random, if any outside of purposly gambling wether its with coin or with your life.

Considering the single biggest influence of anyone’s life is where you were born and to which parents, I’d say life is pretty heavily influenced by RNG.

Feel free to go be a poor rural girl in afghanistan and pull yourself up by your bootstraps. Good “luck” with that.

(edited by Rieselle.5079)

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

Mystic Toilet is a good name for it.

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: Kilrain Daggerspine.6843

Kilrain Daggerspine.6843

Life is based on rng? may I have some of those muffins your eating? there are very few things in live that are random, if any outside of purposly gambling wether its with coin or with your life.

Considering the single biggest influence of anyone’s life is where you were born and to which parents, I’d say life is pretty heavily influenced by RNG.

Feel free to go be a poor rural girl in afghanistan and pull yourself up by your bootstraps. Good “luck” with that.

Where you are born is far from as random as you make it out to be, as to which parents, we are a direct result of our parents genes as such that is also not random.

Ill spare you the flower and bees story, but as soon as the deed is done the result is pretty much already decided, its genetics.

Even if a comet were to hit earth it would not be random, it would be a direct result of the blast radius of the star it belonged to aswell as various other factors.

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Have nothing against RNG but have a ****load of things against DR.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: Snowy.9580

Snowy.9580

I can’t imagine myself enjoying MMOs this much without RNG. The excitement would be gone.. only straight-forward “goals”.

Poor sarcasm?

We’ll stop to sleep when the game is the best possible game we think it can be.
We’ve been awake since March 2007! Please help!
“GW2 the game with more rolls than roles!”

Why Hate on RNG?

Hellkaiser.6025

You’re using disability, old age and infirmity as a basis for an argument that RNG is better because EVERYONE get’s screwed over equally… What more do I have to say to that? I find it PERSONALLY offensive, and nauseating. In a world where people play league of legends with a pen in their mouth and voice commands because they can’t rely on their arms, your misrepresentation of disabled people was quite honestly a horrendous and sickening thing to read… I’m not accusing you of doing it deliberately but you should re-think just what you said and how it can be taken up wrong.

Irony…. xD

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: Cloud.7613

Cloud.7613

Have nothing against RNG but have a ****load of things against DR.

I’m the same, but I have a big issue with RNG+DR.

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: MorceluLebeau.5109

MorceluLebeau.5109

RNG is one of the reasons I uninstalled and quit this game. There is no fun and trying for days and months to get a item when some one comes along and on their first try gets an item. It makes all the effort I put into the game seem wasted as you can not improve your odds to get a item, you can only put in more time. Why should I waste my time trying to get something when I can go play a game where I am at least knowing what I’m going to get.

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Some people like gambling.

Some people like working toward a goal without being at the mercy of chance.

One is never going to convince the other that their way is best.

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: LinkR.6190

LinkR.6190

BUT..

That would make me the… and the mystic forge a…
Suddenly this game needs a higher ESRB

Attachments:

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

And everything I want is from non rng tokens <3

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

The hate for RNG doesn’t really make sense. People are acting like this is a new concept, but this was a thing since the first RPG ever. Mini Polar Bear in GW1 was a RNG game, every rare loot in GW1, like Dryad Bow and Frog Scepter was a RNG game. Diablo was full of RNG. I don’t see how GW2 is different.

The Polar Bear was a mini pet. Not the BiS weapon. Also when you are level 80 it is pretty much the only thing to go for. There isn’t much else to progress towards. There was lots of stuff to get in GW1.

That makes a difference.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

I love it! This RNG makes the game exciting for me… Its so awesome when you put in 4 rares in the MF and be like: “Exotic, exotic.. PLEASE!?!?! YES!” Its just so awesome!

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: curtegg.5216

curtegg.5216

I’ll give you an example of the failing of RNG. We have one guildie that has done over 130 fractal runs @ lvl 10 or better and has not received one ring. Talk about the extreme end of the bell-curve. Its so sad to hear him say over vent, no ring still.

As for the mystic toilet, I don’t waste my time on it. For now I will work on my completing slayer (nearly @ 500 on only what’s left – giants).

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

Here is an example of MY issue with RNG. Party of 4, playing together for a few hours.
Participant #1, wow! this is awesome! I netted 6 rares, 10 greens!
Patricipant #2 wow! this is terrible! I only netted 1 green!
Particpant #3 I did okay with 1 rare and 4 greens
Particpant #4 I did pretty well with 3 rare and 2 greens

Most people expect a certain amount of reward for their effort and when they don’t receive it, they feel like they were taken advantage.

If they feel they do not receive enough of a reward to justify their participation, then they stop playing the game.

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: Nalora.7964

Nalora.7964

One reason.

Because 50 percent of my time is wasted in game, because I have a 50 percent chance of getting nothing as a drop.

DEMAND Bunny Slippers and a bathrobe!

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: Sharkinu.8096

Sharkinu.8096

Here is an example of MY issue with RNG. Party of 4, playing together for a few hours.

Most people expect a certain amount of reward for their effort and when they don’t receive it, they feel like they were taken advantage.

If they feel they do not receive enough of a reward to justify their participation, then they stop playing the game.

The thing is that most people only remember the bad moments. They always remember that dungeon run when everyone else got 2-3 rares and they only ended up with 3 greens, or when they farmed for 2 hours and never got a single rare, or when they opened the dragon chest and only received blues. But they will quickly forget when they got an exotic from that chest guarded by a champion which they never killed, just dodged and run away, or when they got 5 mystic clovers from 6 attempts, or when they salvaged 8 ectos from 3 rares, or getting 2 rares from 6 monsters 5 minutes after login. The RNG is not as bad as some people think, they hate it because they only remember the moments when the “RNG odds” worked against them.

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: bartem.2731

bartem.2731

RNG is bad if it’s not the same RNG for everyone. At the moment, DR system has bugs, noone can claim otherwise, and Anet implied same way in another thread. What can frustrate people is the inability to find out whether they are getting the proper loot table for their play style. This obviously then leads to whoever is having bad RNG thinking they hit the bug and are being punished for Anet’s design/coding errors.
I did have terrible RNG or DR curse for three weeks, I couldn’t tell, while my gf next to me was enjoying loot galore no matter what activity we picked. I don’t think I have it anymore though again, tough to tell. At least some days I see rares now. I wish I can tell when I am hitting DR though.

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The thing is that most people only remember the bad moments. They always remember that dungeon run when everyone else got 2-3 rares and they only ended up with 3 greens, or when they farmed for 2 hours and never got a single rare, or when they opened the dragon chest and only received blues. But they will quickly forget when they got an exotic from that chest guarded by a champion which they never killed, just dodged and run away, or when they got 5 mystic clovers from 6 attempts, or when they salvaged 8 ectos from 3 rares, or getting 2 rares from 6 monsters 5 minutes after login. The RNG is not as bad as some people think, they hate it because they only remember the moments when the “RNG odds” worked against them.

Actually, I remember quite clearly the two exotics I’ve gotten as drops (i.e., not thru crafting, TP or zone completion). One was from a Young Karka in SSC. The other was from a L80 Ooze in Cursed Shore. Both times I was on my mesmer in a party with 1 or 2 others. I have 3 other 80’s and have played all of them more than the mesmer. Fwiw, I’m old and my memory is not what it used to be, so the fact that I remember exotic drops is an indication of their rarity.

I won’t say I remember every rare I’ve gotten, but then again, rares don’t mean that much to me, just a salvage for a chance at ectos, or a sale for < 50 silver. I also don’t remember every play session wherein nothing better than blues dropped, but my sense of it is that there have been a lot of them.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: Hjorje.9453

Hjorje.9453

Wow, the opinions on this subject are so wide that I don’t think an alternative will ever be found.

But as for my opinion, I love this game. I play for fun and relaxation. But there are items in this game that I want. I want a legendary weapon. I stop by the Mystic Forge every once in a while if I am by it and drop some items in there. I don’t buy them, just from me playing the game. To me everything is fine. If it takes me more time to get one then it takes more time. The game is fun, that is all that matters. Other games out there have made getting items so important that people don’t slow down and enjoy everything else. It is who can get it the fastest, or who can have the most.

I am just going to sit back, laugh at everyone complaining, and enjoy a really good game. Cheers

Hjorje

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Wonder if it’s easier to win the lottery or get struck by lightning then to get a T6 powerful blood or a Rare off of a veteran/champion

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

It is because the odds are very low, to the point where sensible people walk on by and others enter the casino and are ruined.

I begged a friend of mine not to try for an epic weapon because i have seen what the process does to people.

Why Hate on RNG?

phys.7689

Let’s assume ANet wants to keep the ratio of item rarities at a certain level (whether their intended ratio is correct is another debate.)
So for every 1,000 blue/green items dropped in the world, a yellow gets dropped. For every 100,000 items that drop in the world, a precursor is dropped, etc.

So let’s assume ANet wants to keep those ratios constant.

- If they make a token system, the tokens required to get a precursor would need to be high enough so that precursors are just as rare as they are with RNG. ie. a ridiculous amount. Remember when the game first released? People complained everywhere about the high token costs of dungeon armours.

Because making miniscule progress towards a goal is work. Whereas gambling on RNG, where you might get your precursor in the first run or the 10000th run, triggers our brain endorphins more because EVERY run has a tiny chance of getting you that item.
Whereas with a token system, all you see is a long, long grind ahead.

- If they make a skill based system, the bar would be so high that most of the people complaining would not be skilled enough to get the item. Anyone with lag would never be able to get the item. Anyone who’s older, has a disability, or is new to games, would never be able to get it. So basically a small group of players would be able to get the item (and indeed, most of the precious items) whereas everyone else gets nothing.

So yeah, ultimately, if we’re talking single systems, then RNG is the most “fair” and “fun” out of the alternatives.

Of course, the best of all worlds would be a hybrid system – imagine if, when running a dungeon, you had a chance of getting your item via RNG from drops and chests, earned a token that would eventually get you the item, and also there’s a super hard optional boss or JP that is competitively ranked, and the top performers every week would get the item instantly.

The flaw in your thinking is that your premise assumes that enforced rarity is good game design and the way things should be.

Progress should not be determined primarily by random. It can be a factor, and make things interesting but it should not be the determinate.

And if you decide to make a large portion of things be based on something random you better be certain that you have THE BEST RANDOM NUMBER GENERATOR in existence, because it is the cornerstone of your game. I think most people can say that the rng in GW2 is not the most random, their are definite streaks and patterns on the individual level.

Why Hate on RNG?

phys.7689

The Polar Bear was a mini pet. Not the BiS weapon. Also when you are level 80 it is pretty much the only thing to go for. There isn’t much else to progress towards. There was lots of stuff to get in GW1.

That makes a difference.

yea, this is a major problem, while GW had tons of ways to progress, various armors, skill hunting, challenge missions, improving campaign specific buffs, fighting endgame dungeons for skins, GW2 has one, and its primarily determined by rng. game needs more goals, on the high end, that have something rewarding (heck bring back skill hunting if anet wants the economy and gold earnings to be crappy forever)

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

A good RNG is unfair by design. For every player that gets the two ascended rings he wanted in two dailies, you’d get as many if not more that got no ring at all after 20 dailies.

Some player gets Dawn in his first Mystic Forge try, others never get one. A good RNG guarantees this will happen given enough “tries”. So you are guaranteed to have some kitten off players down the line.

Which is why “smart” game developers design the RNG in a way that everyone profits somewhat by reducing the spread between “best reward” and “worse reward, if there’s a reward at all”.

Why Hate on RNG?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Not true. It’s no more random than the result of adding up two known numbers. Unless you are going to claim that if i were conceived by a pair of New Yorkers, only RNG will decide whether i’ll be born to them, or to some random pair in, say, Rwanda.

Let’s assume ANet wants to keep the ratio of item rarities at a certain level (whether their intended ratio is correct is another debate.)[snip]

Oh, but that exactly is the problem. People are not really arguing about it being random. They are arguing about the chances that the RNG gives. So, people are really arguing that in their opinion the Anet’s intended ratio is NOT correct. It is not something for another debate, but the core of current discussion.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)