Why I Love Guild Wars 2 Again

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: arrownin.3128

arrownin.3128

Two week ago, I was doom and gloom about everything in the present, past, and future for Guild Wars 2. Everything seemed wrong, and the game felt unplayable with the vast amount of bugs within it. However, last Monday, when I stopped going on the forums, I was having fun again!
I simply explored the world, enjoyed the scenery, and collected cool items. I wasn’t focusing on the problems, I was just focusing on playing the game. I did daily ori runs on my 80’s, I leveled up my guardian and my necro, I PvP’d here and there, and I bought myself the precursor for the legendary torch. Overall, I had fun again.

The forums for any mmorpg is full of people who complain about issues with the game, and is needed to find these bugs and fix them properly. However, constantly reading these negative threads about issues and complaints can be a burden on our fun. Sometimes we need to take a break from it and get back to playing the game! A lot of the issues on the forums aren’t even that big of a deal in game. You’d be surprised!

So my message is basically this:
Take a break from the forums every once in awhile. You will find that the game becomes fun again.

Posted by: Gauradan.8361

Gauradan.8361

Take a break from the forums every once in awhile. You will find that the game becomes fun again.

If you’re into korean style grinding, then yes, the game has been, is and will be fun.

Aed f’haeil moen Hirjeth taenverde.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

If you’re into korean style grinding, then yes, the game has been, is and will be fun.

I haven’t grinded anything. This game practically throws loot at you with no lockouts I might add.

I’m having tons of fun and so are my friends. It’s a great game

arrownin.3128

The game is not a grind. Anyone who says that it is is falsely informed. Everquest was a grind. Aion was a grind. WoW was a grind. Guild Wars 2 has end game at 80, in which you can get exotic gear fairly easily. Ascended gear is an optional upgrade, and honestly, that 20 extra vitality isn’t going to help that much. Everyone needs to calm down about that stuff. Seriously. If they release a next tier of stats after this, THEN we can get mad about it, but now, it is not that big of a deal.
But yeah, this game =/= grind. That is the most hilarious statement I’ve heard in a while.

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

Why is my fun dependent on having to take a break from a game? Me forgetting about it for awhile and then picking it back up isn’t having fun because it’s a good game… it’s tricking myself until I remember why I put it down to begin with. Sure, I may trick myself into fun, in an “ignorance is bliss” fashion, but I’d rather just have a game I legitimately enjoy booting up.

arrownin.3128

Why is my fun dependent on having to take a break from a game? Me forgetting about it for awhile and then picking it back up isn’t having fun because it’s a good game… it’s tricking myself until I remember why I put it down to begin with. Sure, I may trick myself into fun, but I’d rather just have a game I legitimately enjoy booting up.

I’d like you to read my post. It says take a break from the forums. Not the game. Hello, my name is name, I like to make arguments without reading the post.

Posted by: darkwombat.3695

darkwombat.3695

Why is my fun dependent on having to take a break from a game? Me forgetting about it for awhile and then picking it back up isn’t having fun because it’s a good game… it’s tricking myself until I remember why I put it down to begin with. Sure, I may trick myself into fun, in an “ignorance is bliss” fashion, but I’d rather just have a game I legitimately enjoy booting up.

So what does this say about you? You don’t enjoy the game, but you are on the forum for the game? Sounds a bit sadistic to me.

Posted by: darkwombat.3695

darkwombat.3695

Calling something a “Korean grinder” is such a cliche it has made it past cliche status into something entirely new. Anyone who calls this game a “Korean grinder” has no clue what one really is.

Posted by: Dragonsbane.4051

Dragonsbane.4051

Agree with you OP, I have been reading forums and they surely made me feel different, negative way. But having a blast in game like you do

Gauradan.8361

But yeah, this game =/= grind. That is the most hilarious statement I’ve heard in a while.

I find your finding my statement hilarious disturbing. But then again, if you’re going to ignore how loot was nerfed so many times and all the DR mechanics designed to create artificial content, who am I to burst your bubble?

In a game where real money can be turned into virtual currency, it’s pretty obvious to anyone that they will try to encourage the real money method of acquiring the virtual currency. To anyone that isn’t so naive that they still believe ArenaNet has any business principles, that is.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I find your finding my statement hilarious disturbing. But then again, if you’re going to ignore how loot was nerfed so many times and all the DR mechanics designed to create artificial content, who am I to burst your bubble?

In a game where real money can be turned into virtual currency, it’s pretty obvious to anyone that they will try to encourage the real money method of acquiring the virtual currency. To anyone that isn’t so naive that they still believe ArenaNet has any business principles, that is.

See you show your true self there you do not believe what others say at all and only what you WANT to think. Your pulling all your info off of view of the negative. From your point of view any game with a level system has a grind and there is no game with out some type of system like this even the fps have a grind system where you must unlock new guns etc.. or even rank up.

GW2 is a good game and there a lot in it to make it well worth the 60$ or so fee to get it and with the adding of free content i can see this game being worth hanging on to for some time.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Ighten Hill.5038

Ighten Hill.5038

Im having fun and “sadly” manage a few hours a day.. But the emptiness of some maps kittens me off ..

Theres hope though.. Lots of it – especially as no ones asked me for CC details or the keys to my house

Gauradan.8361

Calling something a “Korean grinder” is such a cliche it has made it past cliche status into something entirely new. Anyone who calls this game a “Korean grinder” has no clue what one really is.

Call it cliche if it suits you. The game at 80 feels grindier than any MMO I’ve ever played. That’s not content, even though you people sure as hell like to call it that; it’s a second job. If you like working hundreds of hours for virtual numbers and objects, good for you. I, for one, don’t.

Posted by: bojangles.6912

bojangles.6912

I’m sorry but I have to laugh at some of these posts saying “gear is thrown at you” and “no grind” and the cake winner is “Guild Wars 2 has end game at 80, in which you can get exotic gear fairly easily.” Simply amazing. GW2 first of all is a grind. Tell me how having to events over and over and over and over etc. again to just get a couple levels so you can go to the next zone (leveling) not a grind? The whole quest system is the worst in any mmo and extremely grindy and beyond repetitive.

2nd gear isn’t thrown at you.

3rd there is NO end game here. You have a dungeon to keep running. You can do pvp which for this game is a complete joke. Craft. Or work on your gear which we were told in the beginning would be about gear progression and now it is.

Also these forums have nothing to with how people feel in-game. If for you, you allow people to speak and think for you and so then you start to hate the game then maybe you shouldn’t ever go on gaming forums.

Jski.6180

Call it cliche if it suits you. The game at 80 feels grindier than any MMO I’ve ever played. That’s not content, even though you people sure as hell like to call it that; it’s a second job. If you like working hundreds of hours for virtual numbers and objects, good for you. I, for one, don’t.

What other mmo have you played? You cant just make statements like that with out any proof.
I cant think of one game that is less grindi then this game.

Gauradan.8361

See you show your true self there you do not believe what others say at all and only what you WANT to think. Your pulling all your info off of view of the negative. From your point of view any game with a level system has a grind and there is no game with out some type of system like this even the fps have a grind system where you must unlock new guns etc.. or even rank up.

GW2 is a good game and there a lot in it to make it well worth the 60$ or so fee to get it and with the adding of free content i can see this game being worth hanging on to for some time.

Why should I believe what you say when simple logic refutes it? ArenaNet are a business and their main goal is profit. ArenaNet has demonstrated with the Nov 15th patch that they have no issues with alienating their customers. Their game has a cash shop. Even more, it allows you to trade real life currency for virtual currency. Their game also has an unbearably low rate of virtual currency acquisition. Ergo, I can (and rightly so) assume that ArenaNet is reducing the means to obtain virtual currency in-game to such a level that it becomes a grind, in order to encourage gem purchases.

Once again, why? Because ArenaNet has shown not to have principle and their goal is profit. If players accept it (and they have – at least some of them), why not do it?

Bruno Sardine.2907

So what does this say about you? You don’t enjoy the game, but you are on the forum for the game? Sounds a bit sadistic to me.

No i still play the game, just more casually than I used to. I just didn’t understand the argument…. which sorry, I misread “forum” and thought “game”. Nonetheless, my original point stands. Why does taking a break from something make the game better when nothing has changed?…. Taking a break from forums or the game doesn’t mean the game has gotten better/worse unless there was an actual change made during your break.

I took a nice break from the game and forums for the past two weeks as well… the game is pretty much the same as I left it. If anything, it’s “sameness” has caused me to play it less as there are still issues that are diminishing my ability to full enjoy the game.

arrownin.3128

I’m sorry but I have to laugh at some of these posts saying “gear is thrown at you” and “no grind” and the cake winner is “Guild Wars 2 has end game at 80, in which you can get exotic gear fairly easily.” Simply amazing. GW2 first of all is a grind. Tell me how having to events over and over and over and over etc. again to just get a couple levels so you can go to the next zone (leveling) not a grind? The whole quest system is the worst in any mmo and extremely grindy and beyond repetitive.

3rd there is NO end game here. You have a dungeon to keep running. You can do pvp which for this game is a complete joke. Craft. Or work on your gear which we were told in the beginning would be about gear progression and now it is.

Also these forums have nothing to with how people feel in-game. If for you, you allow people to speak and think for you and so then you start to hate the game then maybe you shouldn’t ever go on gaming forums.

If doing dungeons, PvP, crafting, and gathering items is not end game content, then please present me with a game that provides end game content that is not one of these.

arrownin.3128

No i still play the game, just more casually than I used to. I just didn’t understand the argument…. which sorry, I misread “forum” and thought “game”. Nonetheless, my original point stands. Why does taking a break from something make the game better when nothing has changed?…. Taking a break from forums or the game doesn’t mean the game has gotten better/worse unless there was an actual change made during your break.

I took a nice break from the game and forums for the past two weeks as well… the game is pretty much the same as I left it. If anything, it’s “sameness” has caused me to play it less as there are still issues that are diminishing my ability to full enjoy the game.

You know, you may just not like the game. There’s nothing wrong with that, and there is plenty of other mmorpgs out there for you to try out.

Jski.6180

Why should I believe what you say when simple logic refutes it? ArenaNet are a business and their main goal is profit. ArenaNet has demonstrated with the Nov 15th patch that they have no issues with alienating their customers. Their game has a cash shop. Even more, it allows you to trade real life currency for virtual currency. Their game also has an unbearably low rate of virtual currency acquisition. Ergo, I can (and rightly so) assume that ArenaNet is reducing the means to obtain virtual currency in-game to such a level that it becomes a grind, in order to encourage gem purchases.

Once again, why? Because ArenaNet has shown not to have principle and their goal is profit. If players accept it (and they have – at least some of them), why not do it?

So what do you think that ArenaNet is trying to kill there own game? See by your logic they would want to keep ppl happy because they are a “business and their main goal is profit” as you put it. If ppl quit the game then they will not make a profit. I ask you what is running though your mind to make all this work out in your point of view because i for the life of me cant see it.

arrownin.3128

Sure ArenaNet like money, every developer does. But to be honest, you can do a full ori run and get 1g in 30 minutes everyday. Go further and do your dailies and a dungeon or two and you’ll probably land around 2g. Use the 2g on the TP and start buying low and selling high and you’ll see that your money will grow. It is not that hard to make money in this game, if you do this you should have a steady rate of at least (starting at 2g) +5% +2g. Or…

Current Money = m

2g + m*0.05

Every. Day.

Gauradan.8361

What other mmo have you played? You cant just make statements like that with out any proof.
I cant think of one game that is less grindi then this game.

WoW, Rift, SWTOR, LOTRO, Firefall (as of recently).

WoW, from late TBC to early Cataclysm – probably the most fun I had in an MMO, but Cataclysm kind of ruined it. And no, I didn’t like the treadmill, but my God, killing Arthas for the first time was truly epic, whereas Zhaitan…

Rift, have been subscribed for 5 months overall, on and off. For some reason, it could never hold my attention for more than a month, but heck, gold still wasn’t as much of a pain to come by as here.

SWTOR, recently re-subscribed, courtesy of Guild Wars 2’s failure to deliver. The story is fun and while it has a ton of gold sinks, very few are mandatory and the game throws more credits at you than Guild Wars 2 ever does.

LOTRO, renown for its grinding, still doesn’t feel as unrewarding as Guild Wars 2. Killing a mob in LOTRO always yields loot. In GW2, if 1 out of 3 does, you’re lucky, and even then it might be a Porous Bone.

Firefall, no comment. It’s everything Guild Wars 2 should have been but in a Sci-Fi setting and with FPS basis, instead of RPG.

Gauradan.8361

So what do you think that ArenaNet is trying to kill there own game? See by your logic they would want to keep ppl happy because they are a “business and their main goal is profit” as you put it. If ppl quit the game then they will not make a profit. I ask you what is running though your mind to make all this work out in your point of view because i for the life of me cant see it.

Most people are easy to please. Also, there’s the inferiority complex towards ArenaNet: “they said it’s not grinding and they know better, so it’s not.”.

(edited by Gauradan.8361)

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I haven’t grinded anything. This game practically throws loot at you with no lockouts I might add.

I’m having tons of fun and so are my friends. It’s a great game

I guess you haven’t met Mr. Diminishing Returns yet. Just wait you’ll see him come along, notably in open world drops.

Completely useless mechanic now that bots are controlled.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Gauradan.8361

Sure ArenaNet like money, every developer does. But to be honest, you can do a full ori run and get 1g in 30 minutes everyday. Go further and do your dailies and a dungeon or two and you’ll probably land around 2g. Use the 2g on the TP and start buying low and selling high and you’ll see that your money will grow. It is not that hard to make money in this game, if you do this you should have a steady rate of at least (starting at 2g) +5% +2g. Or…

Current Money = m

2g + m*0.05

Every. Day.

Playing the trading post instead of the game, in order to be able to make a decent income? No thank you, I’d rather play neither.

arrownin.3128

Current Money = m

2g + m*0.05

Every. Day.

Playing the trading post instead of the game, in order to be able to make a decent income? No thank you, I’d rather play neither.

The trading post is part of the game, which means that it is a game mechanic. It’s not the only way, but it is a sure fire way to make money. It sounds like you don’t even like Guild Wars 2, so why are you even here? You must actually really love the game to put so much time into posting how you don’t like it on forums. Oh well, I guess you always have Star Wars: Return of the Lich King to go back to. Btw, I got the full SWTOR experience by playing Mass Effect, without the grind!

Bruno Sardine.2907

You know, you may just not like the game. There’s nothing wrong with that, and there is plenty of other mmorpgs out there for you to try out.

Always hate this… There’s nothing wrong with the game on a conceptual level, but in it’s execution in some areas. An active combat that requires strafing dodging and class synergies to defeat encounters that aren’t the traditional healing/tank/dps regiment… this is pretty sweet. A content system that isn’t gated, where the requirements are simply to be of a certain character level is wonderful… You didn’t even need to necessarily do story mode of a dungeon to participate in it. These a great selling points, and it’s the combination of these things that made me want to purchase and play….

However things like class imbalance, high dmg auto-lock ranged attacks on PvE mobs, condition dmg <<< direct damage, the fractal leveling system, acquisition of cool cosmetics through RNG/Grind vs. Skill (and challenge vs. reward in general), the not-so-dynamic nature of dynamic events, etc…. These things detract from the game experience.

Me taking a break from either the game or forums doesn’t mean these issues don’t exist unless they actually get addressed. If there’s a game that’s like GW2 and has all these issues addressed, by all means feel free to direct my attention towards them. Personally, I’d rather play the game while I still can enjoy it (even if it’s not to 100% satisfaction) and try to offer my 2cents wherever possible in the hopes that the topic gets attention and Anet addresses it (preferably with a good solution).

Gauradan.8361

The trading post is part of the game, which means that it is a game mechanic. It’s not the only way, but it is a sure fire way to make money. It sounds like you don’t even like Guild Wars 2, so why are you even here? You must actually really love the game to put so much time into posting how you don’t like it on forums. Oh well, I guess you always have Star Wars: Return of the Lich King to go back to. Btw, I got the full SWTOR experience by playing Mass Effect, without the grind!

1. Because I still hope for Guild Wars 2 to become what it promised to be.

2. Because you white knights keep calling those that dislike the grind in this game a “vocal minority”, forgetting (most likely on purpose) that there are players who quit without saying a word. We may not be the majority, but we sure as hell don’t represent a mere 1% of the population. Time will tell.

Edit: 3. Because I dislike unfair business practices and I dread the thought of my money supporting a company that does it.

(edited by Gauradan.8361)

arrownin.3128

1. Because I still hope for Guild Wars 2 to become what it promised to be.

2. Because you white knights keep calling those that dislike the grind in this game a “vocal minority”, forgetting (most likely on purpose) that there are players who quit without saying a word. We may not be the majority, but we sure as hell don’t represent a mere 1% of the population. Time will tell.

Why would you believe a claim that an mmorpg had no grind. Leveling itself is a grind. Gathering materials for crafting is a grind. It sounds like you just bought the game without doing any research into it beforehand.

Posted by: bojangles.6912

bojangles.6912

If doing dungeons, PvP, crafting, and gathering items is not end game content, then please present me with a game that provides end game content that is not one of these.

Yep sad excuse for end game and content. Crafting? Seriously? Anyone who considers crafting in todays mmo as end game says it all right there. The pvp in this game is a joke. Gathering items? WOW that is some amazing end game content. No wonder GW2 is one of the worst games out and worst end game ever. Only time crafting was actual end game was in SWG.

WoW, ToR, Rift, LotR don’t use those excuses for end game. Anyone who needs to use those as examples tells me how bad that end game is.

WoW has actual end game raiding and has the best still and no other mmo will ever come close to their end game. I am talking ALL of WoW, not just the ones you feel were bad. But places like MC, BWL, AQ40, Naxx40, Karazan, ZG, SSC, TK, BT, Sunwell, Ulduar, and even ICC will never get out beaten by anyone. They also have had gate opening for a raid which involved the entire server along with in BC to unlock zones for Sunwell you needed the whole server to participate. Even WoW’s pvp is a lot more competitive than GW2 and better.

ToR has a way better end game with their operations/raids. Ones that actually have a story line through it and you feel part of the atmosphere and story. Even their Heroic 5 mans blow GW2’s “end game dungeons for gear” away. I would also take their warzones over any of the pvp here also.

Rift and LotR also have very good end games. Haven’t done any pvp on LotR but Rift’s has picked up since launch and still better than GW2 and their Rift event in general is end game.

None of these games I mentioned promote crafting and gathering as end game except for GW2. And GW2’s dungeons are compared to heroic dungeons like WoW and ToR but aren’t considered end game because it is for tokens and gear so you can do end game raids.

(edited by bojangles.6912)

Gauradan.8361

Why would you believe a claim that an mmorpg had no grind. Leveling itself is a grind. Gathering materials for crafting is a grind. It sounds like you just bought the game without doing any research into it beforehand.

It’s a grind unless it’s fun. Exploring Tyria (up until Orr) was fun. Leveling was good, despite the big failure that the personal story was.

After you’ve done that, all you have left to do is Orr (and now the Fractals). Now, I don’t know about you, but Orr, to me, is the very opposite of fun. Add to that the fact that they added a gear grind which surpasses any of the MMOs I mentioned in terms of time investment and my urge to play died.

Posted by: iSmack.1768

iSmack.1768

Now do the same with every game. Nowadays forums are used to whine and complain, even if a thread starts with a discussion, it always ends up as a whine and complain thread. just ignore them or simply build an immunity to them and you’ll be a happy gamer.

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

You shouldn’t have to stop playing a game to enjoy it. Stop making excuses.

How many people are going to mis-read his post?

Take a break from the FORUMS!!! is what he said.

Cheers.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Posted by: Reaver.9256

Reaver.9256

Wow what mmos have you been playing? Sounds like those little kids ones if thats the case. This game is the least grindy mmo I’ve ever played and I’ve played a lot……

arrownin.3128

Look above and you’ll see, this is exactly what I meant by this post; arguing and nothing constructive came from it. Anyway guys, I’m going back to the game to have fun, I hope to see you there too.