Why I came back to GW2

Why I came back to GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vicarious.3047

Vicarious.3047

So I’ve been playing TERA: Online lately since it went F2P (I did buy the game before GW2 launched, so I got founder bonuses lol), and due to my annoyances with Eles being OP in sPvP and my laptop not being able to handle WvW lately :P

But after getting fed up with the MASSIVE RNG in TERA and the incredibly biased and irritatingly childish TERA community I came back to GW2 and that action reaffirmed my original decision in the past to stick to GW2.

I mean it’s easy to forget the original awe most of use must have felt when originally starting GW2 back in betas, but try going back to a game like TERA (or WoW, or Aion, or SWtoR, etc) then jumping back onto GW2. Makes it look and feel even better once again lol

Just wanted to share my thoughts with the GW2 community

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I went and tried to get back into Lotro, just to see some of the new content. I couldn’t even make it an hour. I don’t know why I played it in the first place.

Guild Wars 2 has made it hard for me to go back to other MMOs.

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: NetherDiver.6079

NetherDiver.6079

Yeah, I was annoyed at the gathering node and boss kill stealing. Not to mention waiting around for quest objectives and bosses to spawn. I really missed my Vistas, POIs, and SPs.

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: bladie.5084

bladie.5084

Yeah, Tera is one of the massive modern RNG MMOs that’s out there. Even though GW2 is lacking atm, i know i won’t be going back to tera just because I know I’m months behind everyone who still plays it and will take months to get on track. Great combat system tho! Just no content and too much grinding.

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

4 hours into TERA, my boyfriend begged me to return to GW2, because I was ready to throw my keyboard out of the window and chew my desks to splinters. Trolls ran rampant in chat, the exclamation-quest-system is something I really can’t appreciate anymore and the terrible female character design and animations… No. Just no. If I want to see a hooker, I’ll go to Amsterdam.

(edited by Tosha Daydreamer.9251)

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: Winfernal.9208

Winfernal.9208

Playing GW2 made my expectations of MMOs higher. I can’t go back to anything else, unless they “update their mechanics”. That’s just how it is now!

“Kharomir” – Human Guardian
[DW] Dynasty Warriors, [TNA] The Northern Assembly
http://www.farshiverpeaks.com

Why I came back to GW2

NetherDiver.6079

Oh, and I was playing a Slayer. Hated not being able to run and attack at the same time :/

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: BadHabitZz.1856

BadHabitZz.1856

I liked the fighting in TERA but everything else is mediocre. Lack of character creation ended up with bunch of clones running arround. To me it seems like they have tryed sell this game on graphics and boobs beacuse everything else feels like beta version. I couldnt play it even for 1 hour and was already bored with it (leveling in TERA is one of the worst thing i have ever seen in any game). I would compare it to AION those 2 games felt very similar to me….

(edited by BadHabitZz.1856)

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

Funny how this thread won’t get deleted even though it’s not relevant to GW2 because it’s in praise.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: Winfernal.9208

Winfernal.9208

Funny how this thread won’t get deleted even though it’s not relevant to GW2 because it’s in praise.

It’s kinda relevant though.

Other MMOs outdated mechanics doesn’t cut it after i’ve played GW2. Not only is it a praise, but it is also a fact in my eyes! Kinda sad though, i have to wait for new MMOs to arrive before i try anything else.

(And yes, i can play several MMOs at once.)

“Kharomir” – Human Guardian
[DW] Dynasty Warriors, [TNA] The Northern Assembly
http://www.farshiverpeaks.com

(edited by Winfernal.9208)

Why I came back to GW2

NetherDiver.6079

Other MMOs outdated mechanics doesn’t cut it after i’ve played GW2. Not only is it a praise, but it is also a fact in my eyes! Kinda sad though, i have to wait for new MMOs to arrive before i try anything else.

Either that or no one’s working on the forums at ANet at this hour.

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Either that or no one’s working on the forums at ANet at this hour.

Depends which timezone the mods are in. It’s 11.15 AM over here

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: Firegoth.6427

Firegoth.6427

GW2 IS better on many aspects that most MMO’s out there.
It lacks content and polish, but give it more time for further expansions and it will live up to its predecessor in it’s own unique way.

1+1 = potato

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

Tera, aion, wow, swtor lotro etc…

Just seeing an exclamation mark, knowing I have to go back and forth to that NPC to complete a quest is boring as hell. Not being able to dodge or move while attacking is another big no no for me after gw2, trinity is something I really dislike, locking me into a single role and nothing else is boring and archaic, I like mixing it up melee, range than play support than offensive or tanky, all on one single character.
hell I can’t even play the previous guild wars game itself anymore, even though I love it so much it just feels to outdated.

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: Belecthor.8403

Belecthor.8403

Completely agree, stopped playing out of frustration a while back, but logged in yesterday out of curiosity. I’d forgotten how much better it is than other MMO’s.

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

100% agree with OP on this one. I went back to Aion which I played for 2 years. I just can’t get back into it after playing GW2. Definitely has ruined my standards.

Heck I even tried WoW Pandaland and didn’t make it 2 days before remembering why I stopped playing it.

Someone made a suggestion in another thread that I felt was a genius idea: zone/faction reputation. It was grindy in WoW, but you got unique rewards/skins/mounts for your reputation with each faction. I feel GW2 could benefit from this kind of system. It would drive 80s to the lower level areas specifically to gain rep by doing events, helping nubs, etc. Rewards would have to be worth it. Karma seems to be the GW2 equivalent but I’m underwhelmed with the amount of things you can do/get with karma in GW2’s current format. It could almost be like a “karma earned in zone X” type system to unlock different rep tiers.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

I’d agree, that trying other games or revisiting other games, and then coming back to GW2 makes you realize how good of a game GW2 is.

Me personally, I went back to WoW for a month after the Nov 15 patch. Honestly, WoW is in a decent spot with all of its updates and new features/systems. Unfortunately they all came one expansion too late and I am just burnt on the game and on raiding…and on verticle progression.

So I came back to Gw2. While the verticle progression has been minimal, Arenanet loves to walk that fine line between cosmetic only upgrades and verticle. I was listening to the Jon Peters/Jon Sharp webcast, and the term progression was thrown around in that interview. Man, I feel so baited and switched. I really bought into the idea that EVERYTHING, once you get the max stat set, would be cosmetic. Thats it. Then, out of the blue, we have ascended items that were always intended. Pro tip to arenanet: Next time, announce that exotics are not the end all sets….that you plan to introduce another set of items slowly over time. Otherwise it comes out like you lied to us all, which a lot of us feel that way.

In the past week I have slowed down my GW2 playing and now split my time between diablo 3 and GW2. I actually love D3. Very good art designers and they’ve made some decent improvements to the game. Not sure how much I like the fact that everything is trivial now, unless you are playing single player on MP10 or something.

With that said, I enjoy Gw2. I will continue to play it. I think it has fantastic potential. I think Arenanet is a very capable developer, a very unique developer. I think they DEFINATELY have their flaws in communication and goals. Another step or two over the line of what we were fed months prior to release, and I’ll be gone. If I get my full ascended set sometime this year, and 3-5 months after that we have a new expansion with increased level cap…that might do it. If at the start of that expansion, we have to level up a few more levels, grind out exotics…and then they slowly release ascended into the game. Im gone. Make that available from the start of a new expansion.

Otherwise, you become Blizzard and every other developer that hops on the vert-progression train.

But…keep pumping out ways to keep me in different zones of Tyria, like dailys, and I will continue spending money in the gem store.

Just my two honest cents. I dont think they are inflammatory at all so I hope I dont receive backlash from…people that would break out the whip :p

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: X The Manimal.5293

X The Manimal.5293

Haha same story for me and Tera and even the new F2P Monster Hunter game RaiderZ. I just couldn’t stay with it. GW2 has everything I need. <3

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I remember when I first played GW2 it felt ‘clunky’ compared to the tight character navigation and combat of the other games I was playing. However, now, going back feels clunky in so many ways when compared to GW2. GW2 definitely has some pluses going on in its game systems and the game world is second to none.

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

Went back to EQ2 for about an hour. But I kept comparing the cartoon graphics / characters to GW2. And I just couldn’t stay….even though I’ve played that game for over 4 years.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

I’m playing Tera and GW2 at the same time. I like Tera’s combat system more, however GW2 wins me over with its questing system, I prefer Tera’s map chat (people trolling each other, discussions going on), but I hate that other players can steal your loot.

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: davixx.2108

davixx.2108

it’s funny how i instead switched to tera.
i mean, i got here just to see if people said gw2 got any better about endgame(doesn’t seem so), and i saw this.
I love tera. Or at least, i love the combat system, and it has mounts, and endgame stuff like nexus, and it’s got raids, and cool character creation, i sure don’t love how you can’t customize their bodies though, and also the drop system sucks, while in gw2 you can help someone else killing an enemy and get a reward, in tera there is no reason to help others unless in a party.
But the combat system will keep me from stopping to play that game, it’s just so kitten cool(even if not being able to run while attacking is pretty annoying).

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: vivinox.1357

vivinox.1357

i must say i love gw2 but not at all as much as i love Final |Fantasy 14, after it the second place is aion and tera and than gw2, really without any party mechanics gw2 is just single player rpg, i mean ‘GUILD WARS’ and there is no connection to the guild in gw2 at all!!!!!!!! u can joing a guild but no need, u can make a party but no need, and u don’t have healers. i love healers, that is why i am playing tera for my daily doze of the healer class, and holy trinity system which i love, until final fantasy comes out. but i always return to gw2 to see when some new update is on the way. basically i want a trinity system in gw2 and a more social interaction.

(edited by vivinox.1357)

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Despite the bugs that are still present after 7 months and the continued class “balancing,” GW2 is still the best MMORPG out there. And it’s because of things like auto-scaling, no loot stealing, party-less cooperation, DEs, every-profession-for-every-role, and beautiful world design that make it so.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: EvilUeki.7354

EvilUeki.7354

None of you guys misses the holy trinity ? Dunno y but after playing for 4 months of GW2 I started missing the holy trinity. In GW2 everyone reli is just dps n there r no tanks ,,,,even if u wanna go tank, the mobs/boss hitting u switches target randomly which I found quite annoying……n i think PvP n PvE are too seperate which sumtimes makes me lose the incentive to do well in PvE…..

However I do agree that GW2’s fluidity is probrably the best among all MMOs and its jumping mechanism is reli fun.

Just stating my view, no offence

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: Zeidrich.8435

Zeidrich.8435

LotRO and SWTOR are second rate MMOs compared to this game. I can’t get back to the established questing system in the typical MMO anymore.

“This above all: to thine own self be true.”
-William Shakespeare

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

The only game I can consistently go back and spend time in is GW1. I can pop back on my original ele and run FoW with heroes, or hop on my monk and spend a few hours in FA or JQ, and still enjoy myself.

I’ve played WoW. I’ve tried TERA. I’ve tried Rift, and SWToR, and even Perfect World. (And a few others that I can’t even think of their names right now) GW1 and GW2 will always be my games of choice. I guess I’m just spoiled.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I tried Neverwinter for a few days… I now know the best way to appreciate Guild Wars 2 is to try other games, then come back running.

The loot system with the need/greed made me glad we have RNG in GW2 even if I don’t agree with so much RNG… it’s still far better than that crap.
Rooting in combat made me hate combat, it’s not fluid nor responsive.
Dodging (or whatever some other classes have) is a total joke. Nothing touches you and you still get damaged, apparently you need to dodge when the attack begins, without taking into consideration actually dodging the weapon/projectile.
LF Cleric? Yeah… the joy of Trinity.
Questing… you defeat a foe with a random guy but he gets rewarded while you don’t, guess what, you didn’t have the quest in your log. Someone is saving the poor guards that had been captured by the orcs but you can’t, guess what you didn’t have the proper quest in your log… Not to mention the huge walls of text when you get a quest, just show me my next objective I could care less.

Why I came back to GW2

Vayne.8563

None of you guys misses the holy trinity ? Dunno y but after playing for 4 months of GW2 I started missing the holy trinity. In GW2 everyone reli is just dps n there r no tanks ,,,,even if u wanna go tank, the mobs/boss hitting u switches target randomly which I found quite annoying……n i think PvP n PvE are too seperate which sumtimes makes me lose the incentive to do well in PvE…..

However I do agree that GW2’s fluidity is probrably the best among all MMOs and its jumping mechanism is reli fun.

Just stating my view, no offence

If I never saw the holy trinity again, it would be too soon. In fact, if no game ever from now till the end of eterniity included it, I couldn’t be happier. I will NEVER play another trinity game, ever.

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: mojowalker.3798

mojowalker.3798

The only other game I think had the same enjoyability factor, for me anyway, was City of Heroes — there was nothing like stomping around as a brute, destroying everything that got in your way and just getting more powerful with every blow you took in response. But since that’s gone the way of the dodo, GW2 for the win!

“If you can’t beat them, get a bigger stick.”
- Some random quote -
The Walkers and the Whispers, ANVIL ROCK

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: AstralDusk.1670

AstralDusk.1670

The only other game I think had the same enjoyability factor, for me anyway, was City of Heroes — there was nothing like stomping around as a brute, destroying everything that got in your way and just getting more powerful with every blow you took in response. But since that’s gone the way of the dodo, GW2 for the win!

Truth. There’s no game I miss more than City of Heroes, it really was the perfect MMO so far as I was concerned. GW2 is the closest I can currently get to its mechanics, but kitten if I’ll ever feel that level of customization, creative freedom, and combat satisfaction. I’ve been trying out random F2P games lately to see what’s up, and yeah, their mechanics feel pretty archaic and cookiecutter at this point. I still hate the level of RNG dependency involved in GW2’s sense of progression, but now I see it could be much, much worse.

So… keep up the good work I guess, GW2 (and don’t let the push for microtransactions strangle your game.)

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: Valanga.5942

Valanga.5942

Please explain to me the difference between this and LF zerker warrior, or “you a ranger? → kicked”…

Why I came back to GW2

Valanga.5942

If I never saw the holy trinity again, it would be too soon. In fact, if no game ever from now till the end of eterniity included it, I couldn’t be happier. I will NEVER play another trinity game, ever.

Problem is, ANet wanted to get rid of the old tank-healer-dps, but they made it worse, cause now is dps-dps-dps mindless facerolling stuff.
I’m not actually sure it is a step forward…

Why I came back to GW2

Vayne.8563

Please explain to me the difference between this and LF zerker warrior, or “you a ranger? -> kicked”…

Do you want to know the difference?

Five rangers can run a dungeon.

I guess you pug. Your loss, as far as I’m concerned.

I joined a guild that doesn’t play to get the most efficient fastest run. We run dungeons all the time. A necro in our guild has the dungeon master title. We take rangers with us all the time. The last time I beat Arah, path 1, I had two rangers in the party.

In other games, you really DO need a monk. So don’t compare the two games.

Those who play for efficiency alone a percentage of players…but they don’t represent the entire player base and I’m not even sure they represent the majority.

Why I came back to GW2

Valanga.5942

Please explain to me the difference between this and LF zerker warrior, or “you a ranger? -> kicked”…

I joined a guild that doesn’t play to get the most efficient fastest run. We run dungeons all the time. A necro in our guild has the dungeon master title. We take rangers with us all the time. The last time I beat Arah, path 1, I had two rangers in the party.

Those who play for efficiency alone a percentage of players…but they don’t represent the entire player base and I’m not even sure they represent the majority.

I do pug, and i play an engineer, and luckily i’ve never been kicked, but i’ve seen rangers being kicked.

And i suspect you never played The Secret World, or you should know that you don’t neek a “monk”, when you can switch between the 3 roles.

And those people may not be the vast majority, but they are a enough to makes LFG and map chat annoying pretty often.

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: nesh.7234

nesh.7234

Funny, all of the PUG runs I did never had that problem … OTOH I always avoid any LFG requiring anything other than x more people for the run (well if they note that they wanna watch cut scenes, thats OK too).

I’m not saying that there are none of them, just that’s there at least that many “normal” LFGs without any requirements — LF healer (being a tank mostly) in other MMOs was … ugh … never again. Also being unable to run with someone because he/she did not finish prereq quests (or did not have quest pack /cough, turbine, cough/), has “latest gear” as it won’t survive gear checking bosses … definitely not fun.

But most definitely biggest problem after playing GW2: not being able to move while using skills is a game killer from now on.

EU / Aurora Glade

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

I always have a hard time going back to old (and new sometimes) MMOs since playing GW2.

Moving while casting and not having to worry about kill stealing or just waiting to tag monsters and stuff has spoilt me so so bad.

I do enjoy Secret World and Neverwinter isn’t bad. Both have dodge mechanics and cleric at least in Neverwinter can move while casting (can move while casting TSW too) one of their special channel spells. Of course neither ones combat feels as good and easy flowing as GW2 does to me.

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: GuildWarsPlayer.5608

GuildWarsPlayer.5608

I made a thread exactly like this one not too long ago and yes, I agree. After playing GW2 it is impossible for me to start another mmo.

I too dipped off into Tera for about a half of a day and once I found out your class was bond to 1 weapon and one weapon only, that pretty much did it for me and Tera. Also, for full access to Tera you will have to upgrade to some type of subscription unlike GW2.

I still have yet to come across an mmo that is buy to play with the type of quality GW2 offers.

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: cryforthemoon.9326

cryforthemoon.9326

I did not come back to GW2. I went from playing WoW to playing GW2. I know can’t go back to playing other MMOs.

Why I came back to GW2

Vayne.8563

I do pug, and i play an engineer, and luckily i’ve never been kicked, but i’ve seen rangers being kicked.

And i suspect you never played The Secret World, or you should know that you don’t neek a “monk”, when you can switch between the 3 roles.

And those people may not be the vast majority, but they are a enough to makes LFG and map chat annoying pretty often.

I never brought up TSW and yes, I have played it. But in most trinity games, 90 plus percent of them, you need a healer, if nothing else. It doesn’t have to be a monk. In Guild Wars 1 you could use a rit as a healer.

And in most trinity games you need a tank. Must have. Can’t do content without it, unless of course you’ve completely outleveled it.

Why I came back to GW2

Posted by: Obtuse.1504

Obtuse.1504

None of you guys misses the holy trinity ? Dunno y but after playing for 4 months of GW2 I started missing the holy trinity.

I do. I miss specific roles, it’s just a style I prefer. But, I don’t think I can go back to non action combat. For me GW2 has the best mix of combat and skills/trait system that I have ever played and I have played most.

There are some games on the horizon that will have action combat, holy trinity and vertical progression. I am certain that if they are good I will be gone. Didn’t realize how much I missed the trinity and vertical progression.