Why I feel guild representation is not a good idea

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shepperd.2178

Shepperd.2178

Okay, Representation has got to go. Discuss. Being able to be apart of a bazillion guilds takes away from what being part of a guild is supposed to mean. I loved the system in GW1 where it locked your account to a singular guild, it built SO much loyalty and strengthened the guild community.

I don’t understand who thought that this would be a good idea.

It especially hurts WvW. And yes while you can command that your guild members either represent 100% of the time or get kicked, this prevents smaller guilds from forming and growing. At least in WoW you have to bind your specific character to the guild. In Gw2 any of your toons can be guild hopping anywhere. The issue needs to be forced.

The name of the game is guild wars, and you can be on anyone’s side at anytime…

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

The guild system works perfectly fine. I don’t see the issue you’re talking about. I thought this would be a rant about random people clearing guild stashes (which happens often, apparently).

Posted by: pdg.8462

pdg.8462

I agree. It’s a bad idea. The whole “more choice is good” argument doesn’t hold water.

Posted by: Banewrath.5107

Banewrath.5107

I think the represent option for your account was decent idea. There is no reason every single one of your characters has to be in the same guild unless you want them to be.

But if you are having problems with people just leaving and joining other guilds, you are probably better off without those types of people in your guild.

Posted by: Painking.4703

Painking.4703

I can see where you’re coming from, since representing a guild and then choosing to representing another guild is like saying “heys guys brb, gonna hang out with other my other friends now”. That’s typically not how it goes down in real life.

pdg.8462

You don’t need the notion of “represent” to have different characters in different guilds. Go check out Rift.

Posted by: Hostar.1390

Hostar.1390

As officer of a smaller close-knit guild (75 people) – We don’t let our players join other guilds. You play and represent in ours or you’re not a part of it.

That’s how we deal with the above anyway.

Posted by: MrsAngelD.6971

MrsAngelD.6971

I have a guild and I disagree with you. We have 54 members in our guild and some of them are in multiple guilds. Some of them were people we knew from other games. They are way more into PVP then I and my Other Guild Leader are, so they joined a PVP heavy Guild on another Server. When guesting is implemented they will come do PVE on our server and represent us while doing so.

Some people have friends who have guilds of their own whether they are friends in real life or friends from other games, those friends may not be on all the time. Being in both guilds allows them to join their friends when they are around and then have other people to run/play with when they are not. Multi-guilding gives them this.

My guild began in GW2 with 4 people, that means we’ve added 50 since launch and we’re picky, we have them fill out an application and we don’t even make them full members of the guild right away.

Being locked to one guild doesn’t mean automatic loyalty. I wonder if maybe you just aren’t being picky enough about the people you invite to your guild since you obviously have some guidelines you want people to follow when they join.

I would advise letting people know your guidelines when recruiting and making sure you explain your “rules” clearly when people join. Sometimes people won’t join, but the ones that will are likely the ones you’ll want in your guild anyway.

Posted by: Ang.2157

Ang.2157

This is just another “We’ll do it different than WoW so it will turn out great!” concept that doesn’t work very well in practice.

Posted by: Zachariel.5463

Zachariel.5463

Ok this is how I see it as I am the represent enforcer in our guild. By not representing in our guild but in another guild, you give the impression that you are mooching off of other players due to the bonuses that can be employed at any given time by guild management. While another guild may have more bonsuses going then the main one you are in, representing another guild does nothing for your main guild as you are not getting influence for that guild. I will almost always kick someone if they do not understand that guild hopping because of bonuses is not OK. It gives the impression you do not care about your fellow guild mates and not want to better the guild as a whole. It gives the impression that you are selfish and only out for yourself. That does not make a guild member.

I’ve had people rant at me because I’m being a “Guild Representer Nazi”, but you know what? I’m looking out for everyones interests in the guild. Do you want to have someone that only talks in guild chat when we have a magic find boost weekend and the rest of the time acts like you don’t exist, or do you want someone that goes out of their way to help the guild and make it possible to have those magic find weekends by representing at all times across all characters.

Posted by: Debsylvania.7396

Debsylvania.7396

ANet put this in because they wanted people to have some flexibility with their characters. I don’t see the issues mentioned here as ANet’s issues. These are problems easily managed by guild leaders simply deciding what they want and enforcing any rules they decide upon.

Deb ~The Chewbacca Defense [TCD];
Waiting For Death [WFD]
@ Borlis Pass Server

Posted by: Thrumdi.9216

Thrumdi.9216

My feeling is it is neither good nor bad, just different.

It does take away from the “this is my guild” feeling, but at the same time does widen your social circle.

In WvW at least, it is a good way to build up ties between guilds.

Thrumdi, Captain of The Tarnished Coastguard

The ultimate GW2 troll.

Posted by: Banewrath.5107

Banewrath.5107

You know, years ago when I led a guild in a different game I had the “a guild that plays together stays together attitude”. And I would actually get mad at guild members if they chose to group or quest with people outside the guild. I mean after all we were supposed to be a family right? That and I also know how other guild recruiters like to operate and try and steal members, which I `ve seen people do for 10 years or so. But in the end you really can`t force people or you will drive them away.

Now I can see and totally understand the loyalty thing and I am all for that. I also think that people should be able to have a toon in one guild and one in another BUT they should not be able to turn on represent or stand down. Either you join a guild and remain in it with a character or your are not in the guild at all.

pdg.8462

Hmm, I’m a leader of a guild and frankly I don’t want to spend my time being a “representation nazi”. I want to spend my time playing the game. I would like the game to manage representation enforcement.

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

How about you just talk to your guildies / potential guildies?

If the amount of people who want a change is as high as implied then I’m sure you’ll find many, many people who want to be in your “1 guild only” guild.

Wouldn’t that be better? Finding a group of people who want to play as you do rather than forcing everyone else to play the way you do?

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

Posted by: Bonzoso.7014

Bonzoso.7014

I really dislike how ArenaNet linked all of the social features of GW2 to the entire account rather than to the individual character. When I joined a party for the first time and realized that everybody could see my account name and I could see each of theirs, I was actually pretty shocked. I just don’t want total strangers to have any more of a link to me than I choose to extend to them, even if they’re in my guild or I’ve enjoyed playing with them enough to add them as friends. I understand the reasons ArenaNet did it this way — I just disagree with them.

Posted by: skaaz.4281

skaaz.4281

I don’t think this hurts the game at all. If and individual wants to be part of several guilds I think its great they have to opportunity to do so.

I can see how frustrating it can be for guild leaders seeing some people represent full time and others part time or less and get the same rewards.

About every guild has guide lines that they require there members to follow. Some will just have a new requirement to be in that guild.

Setting ranks may be an option for some also.

Member of Cradle Guard

Posted by: Campana.9216

Campana.9216

I’ve always felt that guild systems in MMOs were far too restrictive, because it forces you to become part of one single community. IRL people are part of a variety of social circles relating to work, family, close friends, friends you share hobbies with, neighbours etc.

Traditional guild set ups in most MMOs can’t emulate that properly. GW2’s system isn’t perfect but it’s better than a lot of others because it recognises that you can belong to more than one group.

It’s up to guilds to decide what kind of players they want to have joining, and whether they try to enforce representation or not, and it’s up to players to decide what kind of guild they want to join. The tools are there for you.

Edit: I haven’t looked very closely at the guild ranking system, but is it possible to restrict access to bonuses based on membership?

(edited by Campana.9216)

Posted by: MrsAngelD.6971

MrsAngelD.6971

I’ve always felt that guild systems in MMOs were far too restrictive, because it forces you to become part of one single community. IRL people are part of a variety of social circles relating to work, family, close friends, friends you share hobbies with, neighbours etc.

Traditional guild set ups in most MMOs can’t emulate that properly. GW2’s system isn’t perfect but it’s better than a lot of others because it recognises that you can belong to more than one group.

It’s up to guilds to decide what kind of players they want to have joining, and whether they try to enforce representation or not, and it’s up to players to decide what kind of guild they want to join. The tools are there for you.

Edit: I haven’t looked very closely at the guild ranking system, but is it possible to restrict access to bonuses based on membership?

No it’s not possible to restrict based on rank

Posted by: Crysto.7089

Crysto.7089

Meh I have my “real” guild with my friends.

Then I have other guilds that I win PvP for.

The great thing about this system? If you don’t like people not representing, you have the choice to kick them!

#1 Commander/Player NA: Promotions

Posted by: soulcakeduck.7036

soulcakeduck.7036

OP, this makes no sense:

And yes while you can command that your guild members either represent 100% of the time or get kicked, this prevents smaller guilds from forming and growing.

Being locked into one guild is exactly the same, with the same problem.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

I can see where you’re coming from, since representing a guild and then choosing to representing another guild is like saying “heys guys brb, gonna hang out with other my other friends now”. That’s typically not how it goes down in real life.

I don’t know about you, but I do that all the time in RL. “I’m going now, someone I know from college has a meeting, I’m going there”… (to a friend)" can’t go this sunday, a friend from work if doing a BBQ"… “I have to go, I’m going to visit my wife’s family”. That’s how I see the different guilds thing and don’t see a problem with it… “I’ll BBL, the XXX guild is going to attack the keep, I’ll join the attack” “ok, I’ll see you later, going to run a few dungeons with the YYY guild” and things like that.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: thenewzero.7246

thenewzero.7246

This is just another “We’ll do it different than WoW so it will turn out great!” concept that doesn’t work very well in practice.

It’s not a new concept. FFXI had the same system as this, essentially. The only real difference was that ‘guilds’ (linkshells) had an actual equipment piece that took up an inventory slot, and that there were no gameplay bonuses for being in a ‘guild’, so it was entirely social.

I love the representation system. I think it’s great that I can have my social guild, but still join a PvP guild if I want, and have a focused dungeon guild too. It’s frustrating to me right now that my guild has to enforce a “100% representation” rule right now because we are such a large guild and have already hit the 500 cap with people still on waiting lists to get in. But they only have it because of the guild cap, otherwise they wouldn’t care.

If I was in a guild that decided to enforce the 100% representation rule just because they want you to only be in their guild, I would leave it immediately even if I never found another guild to represent. Of course, they are well within their right as a guild leader to enforce that, but I wouldn’t want to be a part of a group that is lead like that.

Posted by: Bogey.5423

Bogey.5423

Suddenly I feel like a horrible person for having multiple guilds. I do get a lot of whispers to turn on my represent status, even though have explained that I am in multiple guilds and if they see that as a problem then kick me. Apparently mentality mostly is that should be only in one guild. Problem is that game is very new and I do not see being in multiple guilds any different that leaving one guild to see how some other guild suits me. If I would find guild that would tolerate me and I would enjoy being in, then I would probably stick to it. So, give it a time to everyone to find guild that they feel comfortable with.

[Hex]

Posted by: Pikafan.3792

Pikafan.3792

You must not have much of a life then.

People don’t necessarily hang out with a single group of friends all the time. Watch a movie with one, then club with the other, et al.

Posted by: Reihert.1509

Reihert.1509

I believe removing it is not a good choice.
Each guild can have it’s own rule set.

Want exclusive? Make that a guild rule and kick “Non representing” people.
Want to be free? Let people be free!

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

This is a guild, not a relationship. I don’t want to have to worry about drama and betrayal to enjoy the game with a couple of different friends.

Edit: Why was the OP infracted by the way? :P

(edited by Eochaidh.4106)

Posted by: Fiddlestyx.9714

Fiddlestyx.9714

Having your entire account tied to a single guild is bad. (GW1)

Being able to be in as many guilds as you wish on any character is bad. (GW2)

This is one area where games like WoW succeed. Each character on your account can be in any one guild. That’s character loyalty, with player options.

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

I honestly don’t understand why this feature even exists. Want to put different characters into different guilds, sure. But having one character in multiple guilds and choosing which to be a part of at any given point on a whim? I certainly don’t want flaky folks like that in my guild without a good reason.

I think this was one of those features that is relying too heavily on players being responsible and/or taking the game seriously. For example.. you have your main band of friends you’re usually associated with: Guild-X. You’re also a member of an order of Rangers that regularly patrols the brand created by Kralkatorrik to keep travelers safe. And once a week you represent an organization that participates in theatrical performances at the festival grounds in Divinity’s Reach for the amusement of your community. Obviously being able to juggle which group you’re representing at any given moment can work well here and be a big help.

I’m pretty sure stuff like that was the intention of this feature. But most players will just use it to exploit guilds and cause most players to look on the entire idea negatively.

Edit: Why was the OP infracted by the way? :P

I’m also confused by that as well.

Posted by: captain kid.8635

captain kid.8635

100% disagree. I understand where you’re coming from, guild loyalty and what not but I love being able to switch guilds easily and see which fits best. Without all the drama of actually leaving a guild.
I LOVE this system.

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

100% disagree. I understand where you’re coming from, guild loyalty and what not but I love being able to switch guilds easily and see which fits best. Without all the drama of actually leaving a guild.
I LOVE this system.

While what you said makes perfect sense, I wonder if you’re aware that your comment has likely left many readers (including me!) with a look of disbelief on their face, being shocked that people actually approach being in a guild that way. Heh.

I think what (understandably) frustrates many guild leaders/officers is that they may spend influence points on a perk that you happily take advantage of, but then you don’t help the guild recover any of that spent influence because you’re representing another guild when participating in an activity that would generate influence points. People are generally not happy when they feel like someone is taking advantage of them.

(edited by Edge.4180)

Posted by: Gopher.4562

Gopher.4562

I have a love/hate relationship with the system. I’m content with it, but I do feel you on the whole ‘guild community’ thing.

Then again, Guild Community is just that, a community. Your guild should have a website, forums, a ventrilo or mumble or teamspeak; etc.

No one ever reads guild chat anyway.

Posted by: Freakiie.8940

Freakiie.8940

I LOVE this system.

While what you said makes perfect sense, I wonder if you’re aware that your comment has likely left many readers (including me!) with a look of disbelief on their face, being shocked that people actually approach being in a guild that way. Heh.

Indeed lol.

I’m also in favor of a 1 guild per character system. It just makes no sense when you see a guildie turn around, turn back and go like… wasn’t he in our guild 5 seconds ago?

Perhaps I’m just to loyal in comparison to the new generation, but to me a guild is something you stick with. Even if at times it goes bad, I don’t pack my bags and leave, no I try to help and get the guild back on track. It’s not something you go and join for the lulz imo.

I suppose it’s a great system for the (seemingly) newer generation that don’t take a guild very serious and just try and get as many personal advantages as they can. Well, now they finally got a game that actively promotes guildhopping, a kind of behaviour that usually sickens me.

Posted by: Imdy.8056

Imdy.8056

I actually like this system so far.

I’ve always been the type of player who will look for a guild that fits me and stay there. When I’m looking for a new guild, I’m looking for a group of like-minded players that I can have fun with, etc. I typically guild all my characters in the same place because I do have guild loyalty. Leaving a guild for me is something of a last resort for when the guild I’m in is no longer fun for me.

That said, I like having the flexibility to have a guild for just my RL family and friends that I can easily switch to in order to play and share perks with them. We all have different playtimes, playstyles, and in-game goals, and this system allows us to have a way to play together without having to compromise that. This way we can share things like a guild stash and play together when there’s enough of us around, and play with our new friends and allies in a different guild when there’s not.

I don’t feel this makes me a person who lacks guild loyalty, or doesn’t take guilds seriously. I’m not switching to “take advantage” of another guild and then go off and do whatever. I’m switching to play with my family and friends and I don’t see anything wrong with that.

I think it does potentially create a challenge for some guilds in terms of player retention, but I, for one, am not upset when people aren’t representing my guild. It’s not up to me to tell them how they should be playing or who they should be playing with.

Posted by: LordGinder.7124

LordGinder.7124

I Have noticed the only way a guild leader can contact you is though private message as not everyone sits there wanting to read all the chat all the time. May we have a guild Letter or mail messaging system set up plz. If the Guild Leader is setting up guild missions or Raids, 1 mail that goes out to all guild members would be great also may help the rep guild as you never know when your guild leader is setting up a raid or guild mission

Posted by: JaddynnStarr.5201

JaddynnStarr.5201

LordGinder why did you necro a 3 year old post?

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

I have a love/hate relationship with the system. I’m content with it, but I do feel you on the whole ‘guild community’ thing.

Then again, Guild Community is just that, a community. Your guild should have a website, forums, a ventrilo or mumble or teamspeak; etc.

No one ever reads guild chat anyway.

I do! I’ve always disliked having my voice heard in video games, speaking out loud when I’m not the only person in the apartment. That’s how it was for me in Halo and WoW. Then again, I am a casual PvE’r, so I mostly use my guild as a place to chat with people between map completions and so forth, and a place to ask for assistance. I can see how Teamspeak and such is useful for doing WvW and PvP, though, I just don’t think I’d ever use it due to my peculiarities.

On-topic, I have two guilds right now, one of which was the first one I joined. But when that guild began to get super intense, I decided to look for a far more casual, smaller guild. And that second one is what I represent, as I find it enjoyable to “be in their company”, so to speak.

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

If you don’t like people representing more than one guild, kick the people in your guild that do it. No need to take the option from anyone else. I’ve had multiple guilds, PvE, WvW havok, WvW Fight, WvW Zerg, and Bank without an issue. The only issue I ever had was when I was in a mandatory rep guild while using my bank guild (which was allowed by the guild rules) with an overzealous officer. So as far as “what works” I prefer repping multiple guilds.

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

Okay, Representation has got to go. Discuss. Being able to be apart of a bazillion guilds takes away from what being part of a guild is supposed to mean. I loved the system in GW1 where it locked your account to a singular guild, it built SO much loyalty and strengthened the guild community.

I don’t understand who thought that this would be a good idea.

It especially hurts WvW. And yes while you can command that your guild members either represent 100% of the time or get kicked, this prevents smaller guilds from forming and growing. At least in WoW you have to bind your specific character to the guild. In Gw2 any of your toons can be guild hopping anywhere. The issue needs to be forced.

The name of the game is guild wars, and you can be on anyone’s side at anytime…

Take off your rose-colored glasses. Guilds in GW1 were full of vampiric politics by the time Cantha came around.

Posted by: Allison The Strange.4519

Allison The Strange.4519

I don’t have an issue with the current system, I have an issue with many of the current guilds. Choosing not to represent a guild doesn’t mean your choosing to not take part in its’ conversations as you can talk to all your guilds now without having to represent them.

Personally I run a very small guild (about 10) and I encourage them to join other guilds for their guild hall buffs and to fill their social needs. As I run such a small guild I don’t feel obligated to provide a fully decked out guild hall & I don’t expect people to only talk to the same few other people.

100% representation is a plague as it actually limits the number of people you can potentially meet and I will never support this. This is coming from a player who played GW1 for thousands of hours and was involved in many guilds & was an officer for most that I was apart of.

Even Anet agreed that representing only a single guild was bad in GW1 so we were given alliances. That increased the number of guilds we could contact to 7 or 8 (I don’t remember, it has been too long). Being allowed to communicate with so many guilds at once opened up so many doorways to meet new players and make more friends.

TL;DR… More guilds = more opportunities to make friends & 100% representation is bad for everyone.

Edit: I do however understand forcing members to rep while doing guild activities such as WvW, PvE map events, and PvP.

(edited by Allison The Strange.4519)

Posted by: Moderator

We are closing this thread as it’s discussion has run its course.