Why I just can't seem to get into GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Faline.8795

Faline.8795

So I’ve had Guild Wars 2 for a couple years. In that time, I’ve leveled to 30.

Guild Wars 2 is absolutely beautiful to look at. I enjoy the detail, I like the story, and the gameplay is interesting to me. Some of the outfits in Black Lion are really cute! Plus I like that I am not under pressure of a dps meter! (I hear that’s changed.)

So this is what I think has kept me from taking the plunge. I am fully away this is only my opinion and I speak only for myself. I expect most to disagree with me.

Now, that disclaimer said…

- No world chat. The world seems so empty when people aren’t talking. I know, a world chat would devolve into trolling and nonsense. But it can be fun and makes things a little more populated even when people aren’t around.

- The wonder if GW2 will still be around. Reading the forums makes it seem like the game is dying. Should I invest time in an MMO that won’t be around for much longer or is not supported?

- No random dungeon matchmaking. Yes, burn me at the stake. I’m shy and don’t like to make a group or ask to join a group. I’d much rather the system make a group for me.

- Professions confuse me. Do you really have to guess what mats you need to learn a new recipe or has that changed?

Beyond that, I really like the game.

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

- No random dungeon matchmaking. Yes, burn me at the stake. I’m shy and don’t like to make a group or ask to join a group. I’d much rather the system make a group for me.

My apologies if you are already aware of this, but the LFG tool you don’t have to ask to join a group. When you see a group posted and hit the join button you get added to the group. No chitchat or anything, just click and you are in.

Posted by: Faline.8795

Faline.8795

My apologies if you are already aware of this, but the LFG tool you don’t have to ask to join a group. When you see a group posted and hit the join button you get added to the group. No chitchat or anything, just click and you are in.

I did not know that. Thank you for the info.

Posted by: Acnologia.6934

Acnologia.6934

4 years still lv 30 ranger? 5 lvs in 2 years? (you were lv 25 2 years ago) this is simple. you don’t like the game XD no problem with that, if everybody liked it there should be 7.000.000.000 accounts ^^

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

“Empty world” — Join an active guild(s). The chat will be more relevant to you anyway. Are you chatting or asking questions in /map chat? Sometimes all it takes is someone to initiate.

“Dying game” — Very subjective. I see people everywhere I go, despite the gloom & doom here on the forum. Again, joining some guilds may help.

“Professions” — I assume you mean crafting. If you aren’t one for experimenting, then look on the wiki (/wiki in game) and google “gw2 crafting” for guides to max crafting. The wiki does list recipes, so if you know what you want you can look it up and get all the ingredients and/or subassemblies.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

there are recipes and gudes to lvl up crafting profesions so you can follow those. The forums in this game are esp grim and can suck the joy out of you but atm theres some downtime w8ing for the next content patch and ppl getting restless

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

(1) “World Chat” – We have map chat, which tends to be decently lively on active maps and utterly quiet one the less popular maps. Personally I have to turn some maps off, especially queensdale… Also as other suggested find a guild and join, that has always been my main reason to join guilds, to have someone to chatter silly stuff with.

(2) “Dead-game!” – Really you don’t need to worry about that. GW2 is still one of the more popular MMO’s around, and has been for 4.5 years. And they have no plans of abandoning it yet. Disregard the forums on this, forums always thrive on screaming out “THE END IS NIGH!!!!!” daily to get a reaction.

(3) “Random Dungeon” – Can’t help you much there, haven’t even finished all the story dungeons yet in 4.5 years! Then again, I’m pondering starting to solo them for self challenge! But I do know a couple of guys that are desperately trying to get the rest of hte guild to play some dungeons, if you’re interested.

(4) “Crafting” – As others said, use the /wiki to find the receipts. This is mostly important for Chef. The others follows pretty reliable patterns, and is just about doing the same thing over and over, replacing some blood with some posion sacks for different stats. (Honestly, if you don’t have a good use for crafting just skip it, and save yourself a lot of gold and headache).

Summary: I think the best thing you can do is find yourself a friendly guild, and they will help you on all of the above. Now different people have different needs from guilds, so make sure to ask a bit and figure out what you want, and don’t just join the first thing you see

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I think the fact that there is, and has been, a release almost every 2 weeks (some large, some small) since release indicates the game is supported. There hasn’t really been any indication that the game is closing any time soon.

There was once an item considered (for sale) that allowed one to broadcast World-wide; it was shot down by the playerbase pretty quickly. Map chat seems to suffice; if there is no one speaking, you might consider striking up a conversation.

The other points have been well-covered.

Good luck.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Bringing up world wide chat again. One problem is, there can be multiple copies of the same map doing a meta event where people are calling out instructions and asking questions in map chat as well as different maps having different events going on at the same time. It would get very confusing if all the instructions, commentary and waypoint pinging from various meta events and regular events, including daily events, game wide on all the open map shards were all being broadcast on one worldwide map.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Sorca.6839

Sorca.6839

I actually googled this topic to find the thread.

The server looks full but no one talks. I’m new so I know I must look for a guild to actually feel part of something but looking for a guild is extremely hard if no one ever replies. I talked on the map and after 30 min not a single person replied or even said anything. Maybe Lionsgate is a dead map? but I saw more people there than on the starting map. ( I actually thought there might be something wrong with my chat)

The forums I looked at every topic where someone said LF guild and seems barely anyone that started such a thread received no replies.

I ask in unranked pvp to tell me what I’m doing wrong or I say "Hi"to the team. No one replies. Everyone just scrams of to a spot to die in pvp. I actually assumed I must capture points rather than dieing. (I guess I’m not the only noob in pvp there?)

This might be perhaps of the different channels/ servers? I know BnS had that issue but then again BnS have a system where when you ask anything you get a reply with “What is you AR” and if its not 700 or something p2wísh you get ignored.

Other games with a population of 100 players people actually reply. Maybe it’s cause there are so many players everyone just assume someone else will help him? Small games must obviously do everything they can to keep new players.

Luckily I’m new so the story and 100% map completion urge I have keeps it fun when I solo.

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

@Sorca: Just play the game, participate in events. I got lots of random invites from guilds just by playing. Many guilds just look for people without tag and invite them. These are not bad guilds, I joined one and the people are awesome.

The second guild I joined after doing fractals with a few of their members. It’s a smaller guild and doesn’t invite randomly.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

I actually googled this topic to find the thread.

The server looks full but no one talks. I’m new so I know I must look for a guild to actually feel part of something but looking for a guild is extremely hard if no one ever replies. I talked on the map and after 30 min not a single person replied or even said anything. Maybe Lionsgate is a dead map? but I saw more people there than on the starting map. ( I actually thought there might be something wrong with my chat)

The forums I looked at every topic where someone said LF guild and seems barely anyone that started such a thread received no replies.

I ask in unranked pvp to tell me what I’m doing wrong or I say "Hi"to the team. No one replies. Everyone just scrams of to a spot to die in pvp. I actually assumed I must capture points rather than dieing. (I guess I’m not the only noob in pvp there?)

This might be perhaps of the different channels/ servers? I know BnS had that issue but then again BnS have a system where when you ask anything you get a reply with “What is you AR” and if its not 700 or something p2wísh you get ignored.

Other games with a population of 100 players people actually reply. Maybe it’s cause there are so many players everyone just assume someone else will help him? Small games must obviously do everything they can to keep new players.

Luckily I’m new so the story and 100% map completion urge I have keeps it fun when I solo.

are you speaking in map chat or say chat?
map chat is appears in red and the entire map can see what you’re saying.
say chat is green and only people in your immediate area can see it.

also, if you were talking in map chat, you might want to check your chat settings, especially if no one is replying in Lion’s Arch. it’s always pretty populated and there’s usually random conversations going on there.
to make sure all chat channels are showing click the little down arrow on the chat tab and make sure /map, /say, /whisper etc are all ticked.

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Posted by: Ricardo.8093

Ricardo.8093

So I’ve had Guild Wars 2 for a couple years. In that time, I’ve leveled to 30.

Guild Wars 2 is absolutely beautiful to look at. I enjoy the detail, I like the story, and the gameplay is interesting to me. Some of the outfits in Black Lion are really cute! Plus I like that I am not under pressure of a dps meter! (I hear that’s changed.)

So this is what I think has kept me from taking the plunge. I am fully away this is only my opinion and I speak only for myself. I expect most to disagree with me.

Now, that disclaimer said…

- No world chat. The world seems so empty when people aren’t talking. I know, a world chat would devolve into trolling and nonsense. But it can be fun and makes things a little more populated even when people aren’t around.

- The wonder if GW2 will still be around. Reading the forums makes it seem like the game is dying. Should I invest time in an MMO that won’t be around for much longer or is not supported?

- Professions confuse me. Do you really have to guess what mats you need to learn a new recipe or has that changed?

Beyond that, I really like the game.

I was almost like you concerning guild wars 2, mostly about the chat always being quiet, you sometimes see people asking in map to come to events or world bosses but that’s it, even inside capital cities is quiet lol, most chat happens in Guilds though, you should try and join one.

But then I decided, screw it… Am I going to avoid this nice game just because of chat? Nope, I chose my favorite class and race, reached cap and now I’m enjoying doing everything the game has to offer and more, besides I’m listening to youtube videos on the background during my playtime, at least when not doing story quests.

I’m with you on not having a dungeon finder system like in WoW, it really sucks for introverted people or simply not be able to do other stuff while waiting for a group to come up, you have to be on the area of the dungeon/raid to enter.

When it comes to professions I just preferred to do all the personal and living world story quest first and then go for crafting, it really is a bit complex.

And don’t worry, GW2 will still be around for awhile, that’s just “X Game” forums for you, whiners, complainers, nerf this, buff that, “I Quit because…”, game is dying threads, no matter what game you play, you will always find these.

Posted by: Bjarkov.9751

Bjarkov.9751

Reading the forums make it seem like the game is dying? you for real? The game is very much alive and is likely in the top 3 most populated mmos out atm, likely right under wow and ff14. The game is getting constant updates, and it’s to the point where i as a student can’t keep up with it. Enough with these “game is dying” threads, they got no ground what so ever. When you got a 200 people queue just to get into wvw the game is far from dying.

(edited by Bjarkov.9751)

Sorca.6839

are you speaking in map chat or say chat?
map chat is appears in red and the entire map can see what you’re saying.
say chat is green and only people in your immediate area can see it.

also, if you were talking in map chat, you might want to check your chat settings, especially if no one is replying in Lion’s Arch. it’s always pretty populated and there’s usually random conversations going on there.
to make sure all chat channels are showing click the little down arrow on the chat tab and make sure /map, /say, /whisper etc are all ticked.

Yes map chat^^. Lol I’m new but not totally stupid. I didnt know where/ what area Lions Arch was though but when I got there from the pvp map I saw the whole intro and saw all the people so took my chances. Sure I don’t expect people to reply but no one said anything the whole time I was there.

Sorca.6839

I’m glad the game is not dying. I only started playing GW2 because Its one of the top ranked mmorpgs and not wasting another 4 years on an awesome game that dies due to useless developers.. .ect

I enjoy the gameplay but I do feel it could be much more fun with friends and you learn everything way faster by asking questions. Sadly none of mine plays GW2. Anyways, got a request from a guild in my country so lets hope that change

Posted by: slashlizardy.9167

slashlizardy.9167

Best of luck to you Sorca!

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

The population issue can easily be explained, the lounges where recently on sale for 1000 gems they are a superior form of lions arch where everything is convenient, lots of people turn off map chat and stick to guild chats, and people go to guild halls for things like crafting and etc, then we have allot more vets now so everyone is usually doing meta events in hot or some other form of endgame content, then of course there is pvp and wvw.

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

You can toggle chat channels off and on by clicking on the down arrow on the tab. You might want to check if you have all relevant channels checkmarked, because I’ve seldom seen a quiet map unless it’s a low population overflow map.

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA

Posted by: Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946

Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946

You can toggle chat channels off and on by clicking on the down arrow on the tab. You might want to check if you have all relevant channels checkmarked, because I’ve seldom seen a quiet map unless it’s a low population overflow map.

This. I think the only time I’ve honestly seen a completely dead map chat was when I was running around Dragon Stand…and I didn’t realize someone had posted a question in map chat for 10 minutes. Apparently, I really was the only one there…