Why I think teleport costs are unreasonably hight

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

I’m of two minds here.

I have no problems with gold (without cheating and buying it from 3rd parties or using gems) so travel costs to me, while seemingly costly, are ultimately trivial. But I “farm” a lot to do this.

This game isn’t supposed to be about farming and is supposed to be about fun.

Exhorbitant travel costs, insane repair costs for WvW and dungeons, and double dip ripoff fees via the TP are pretty much lame and not fun – they are basically ANet’s way of saying, you will farm, or you will buy gems and do currency exchange (their pref, obviously), or you will cheat and buy gold from 3rd parties (based on the number of bots in this game, this would appear to be a common alternative).

I feel like the system works better at lower levels. A port costs like half of an event reward rather than 1.5x more than one at higher levels.

Yeah, kinda. I don’t mind porting around at all at lower levels. At 80 I avoid it like the plague and I have plenty of gold (one way you accumulate gold though, is to spend it wisely and keep costs down).

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

According to http://gw2craftmap.bteamgaming.com/ there are on average 19 orichalcum ore nodes in the world.

Obviously tier 6 nodes help you make money, but to do all that travel, find the nodes every server bounce (at least once daily lately), and do all the gathering takes time – it’s called “farming.”

I don’t mind doing it, but the game isn’t supposed to be about farming, and you shouldn’t have to do it just to get by and play the game.

This game has no sub. ANet intentionally designs things so that you are pushed towards stuff like farming – ie, playing and not having fun- OR – getting gold via other means (like gem store, which benefits them and is the easier route if you have cash).

You can’t really blame ANet for steering people towards the gem store, but it still kind of sucks. It’s just something you have to live with in a game that has no sub. Farm, or pay.

At least farming is an option and you don’t have to pay.

Many people just don’t understand that in a game like this that has no sub, you’re not just going to get everything handed to you on a silver platter.

Posted by: krojack.4920

krojack.4920

19 * 3 = 57 silver minus (max travel cost —> 10 silver) = 47 silver profit for little work.

Ummm, 1 node = 3 ore.

(19 * 3) * 3 = 171 silver or 1 gold 71 silver.

80 Sylvari Ranger – Jade Quarry
» My current Guild Wars 2 game annoyances

Posted by: roqoco.4053

roqoco.4053

19 * 3 = 57 silver minus (max travel cost —> 10 silver) = 47 silver profit for little work.

Ummm, 1 node = 3 ore.

(19 * 3) * 3 = 171 silver or 1 gold 71 silver.

Not sure what calculations you guys are trying to do but ori sells for just over 3 silver on the market ATM, so if you get 3 from a node that’s about 10silver for the node. Not quite sure what point that would prove tho, unless you want to farm on some waypoint that has a node/s next to it.

Posted by: Luigio.3265

Luigio.3265

if your not lvl 80 , u shouldnt be talking about wp costs, period

at level 80 , the simply get downright ridiculous, i would like to break up the monotony of grinding karma , but i can because if i try porting around every fifteen minutes around zones, i end up not offsetting the farming im doing, so i either break even , in wich case i just wasted my time, or lose some money altogether in wich case i wasted both time AND money

they could have a zone cap, as in , even for 80s traveling to queensdale will be a flat X amount max and forget about adjusting it based on distance , id gladly go back to lvl 30 zones to farm and do events with the newbies if it didnt cost me a gold after going there and back, simply put, i refuse to waste an hour grinding stuff just to offset the freaking cost of MOVING AROUND in a timely fashion (no spending 25% of my limited playtime these days just walking everywhere aint gonna cut it)

yese there should be a cost to using waypoints, but it could use some tweaking for the 70-80 lvl range, they are , too big imo

Posted by: Bornthisway.4609

Bornthisway.4609

I agree with the people who expressed that the system works much better at a lower level. You have less places to go, making less money, and the ports are practically nothing. They need to scale better and we need more movement options, simple as that.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

First they create mechanics to discourage easy long-range travel, and then they get surprised that people don’t travel around, but prefer to stay in few top level zones. Little consistency here would be nice.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Antiriad.7160

Antiriad.7160

Agree with OP. If you think teleport costs should scale with level, scale hearts/event rewards too then.

Colin ‘The Liar’ Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on equal power base.”

Posted by: marianojc.2965

marianojc.2965

I have a similar view than the OP, it takes more time to earn the gold that you use in a way-point than runing -and you may even collect some crafting materials in your way-, so much so that I see way-points mainly as “cemeteries” for character revival after death and I wish there were mounts in the game for traveling. Nevertheless, there are some situations in which it is unavoidable to use way-points as when someone asks for help or when you are going to join a party for a distant dungeon.

I avoid as much as I can using way-points, for example, to go to a Bank or to a Trading Post whilst being far away from one of them I may log into Wv3 and then log out to character selection better than traveling through way-points. Or if I am going to another zone I go first to Wv3 to go to Lion’s Arch and then to some capital city from where I run to the zone. This system may be considered an abuse of Wv3, but it may be considered also intended so that PvE players go to Wv3 and they may that way to start playing there.

I think also that repair costs are rather expensive when you go to play Wv3, because many times it is as expensive or even more expensive to repair than to buy a new piece of blue quality armor -and think that you can buy it for your current level-, or it may be that blue quality armor is rather cheap.

Posted by: Lazarous.9357

Lazarous.9357

I’ve recently started building up alts and I have to say the waypoint system at 80 is a disgrace compared to what you start with. For example, at level 1 it costs like 5 copper to teleport around the starting zone, and you get around 50 copper an event. Compared to level 80 where you’re spending between 1.5 and 2 silver to move within a zone, and getting 1.2 silver per event. Going from costing 10% of an event to costing 125% of an event is a terrible design decision. It doesn’t make me lose money from waypoints. It makes me stop using waypoints, and by extension doing things which require the use of waypoints.

It’s not like they’re even getting much silver from me at these prices. My standard orichalcum runs involve two teleports for around 2 silver a piece. Wow, that’s a lot of currency destruction going on there.

Posted by: mLegion.1043

mLegion.1043

Have teleports scale to the level of the destination area, eg. if teleporting to a waypoint in a lvl 34 area to help a guildie or something have the tp costs be that of a lvl 34 character

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

They are too high and are killing the social aspects of this game.

For example, it stops me waypointing to help or party with others, stops me from joining in with DE’s, or going to the bank.

Pretty much messing up what the game should be, a social event.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

krojack.4920

They are too high and are killing the social aspects of this game.

For example, it stops me waypointing to help or party with others, stops me from joining in with DE’s, or going to the bank.

Pretty much messing up what the game should be, a social event.

I have a hard time believing you’re that hard up on cash. If so then you ARE doing something wrong. Are you looting EVERYTHING from every mob you’re kill and vendoring the grey items? Start selling the white items if you’re that needy on cash else salvage them and sell the crafting mats.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

First they create mechanics to discourage easy long-range travel, and then they get surprised that people don’t travel around, but prefer to stay in few top level zones. Little consistency here would be nice.

That has far more to do with the fact that DE’ go off constantly in Orr and only the high level areas have Ori/Sapling nodes. The lower areas wouldn’t see anymore traffic even if it were free to go there.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

krojack.4920

First they create mechanics to discourage easy long-range travel.

Like what? Examples please.

krojack.4920

I logged-in today to find 1 gold 74 silver waiting at the TB for me. I think I played for 45 minutes last night before tossing stuff on the trade post then going to bed.

Curses these waypoints cost to much!

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

First they create mechanics to discourage easy long-range travel.

Like what? Examples please.

…have you read the topic at all? The cost for waypoint travel is just such a mechanic – it’s there to discourage you from using them as much as possible.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November