Why I think you're losing active players

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: clay.7849

clay.7849

I like cheese.

Also, since I have started playing again back in February, only half the servers were above medium population. Until they updated the capacity a week or so ago, they had pretty much all moved to Very High or at least High. I know that’s just a count of accounts tied to the server for their home world, but that certainly means people are still buying the game in droves.

You have sales numbers and server activity reports? If so, please share.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

You can’t really have an opinion…

Sorry Vayne, that’s where you lost me. I couldn’t get over that statement and gave up reading the rest. That might be the dumbest thing someone has ever said.

You know your taking that out of context you should at least use the full quote.
You can have an opinion about any thing but its pointless if its base off of nothing. “I think rice is good because i like water” yes you have an opinion about rice but you have no reason for that opinion making its an non opinion.

I didn’t take it out of context. In no way am I not allowed to have an opinion, regardless of whether it is true or not. Especially, since none of us know what is true and what isn’t.

No your making this into a personal thing where you are evoking indignation to try to avoid the point that you have no reason for the way you think.
We KNOW that they made server bigger. Why do ppl think the game is losing ppl?

You don’t need to think the way I think. Nor, do you need to try to change the way I think. It’s my opinion. Yours isn’t any better than mine.

I am NOT giving you an opinion in that post about the game i am just saying what we know and asking you why ppl think the game is losing ppl.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Sorry Vayne, that’s where you lost me. I couldn’t get over that statement and gave up reading the rest. That might be the dumbest thing someone has ever said.

You can’t have opinions about a fact. That’s basic to any system of logic. If you didn’t read the rest, that’s on you. Other people understand it.

If the temperature is 80 degrees F and I think it feels colder, that doesn’t change the fact that the temperature is 80 degrees F. A fact is a fact.

Either the games population is declining or it’s not. You BELIEVE it is but there’s no evidence for it. It’s still not an opinion.

Vayne.8563

I like cheese.

Also, since I have started playing again back in February, only half the servers were above medium population. Until they updated the capacity a week or so ago, they had pretty much all moved to Very High or at least High. I know that’s just a count of accounts tied to the server for their home world, but that certainly means people are still buying the game in droves.

Do you? If so please share.

clay.7849

You know your taking that out of context you should at least use the full quote.
You can have an opinion about any thing but its pointless if its base off of nothing. “I think rice is good because i like water” yes you have an opinion about rice but you have no reason for that opinion making its an non opinion.

I didn’t take it out of context. In no way am I not allowed to have an opinion, regardless of whether it is true or not. Especially, since none of us know what is true and what isn’t.

No your making this into a personal thing where you are evoking indignation to try to avoid the point that you have no reason for the way you think.

You don’t need to think the way I think. Nor, do you need to try to change the way I think. It’s my opinion. Yours isn’t any better than mine.

I am NOT giving you an opinion in that post about the game i am just saying what we know and asking you why ppl think the game is losing ppl.

What do you know?

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

I like cheese.

I’d rather not even if I had them. It was an opinion and just what I have seen from playing again. Take it for what it is, you don’t always have to be right clay.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

clay.7849

You can’t have opinions about a fact. That’s basic to any system of logic. If you didn’t read the rest, that’s on you. Other people understand it.

If the temperature is 80 degrees F and I think it feels colder, that doesn’t change the fact that the temperature is 80 degrees F. A fact is a fact.

Either the games population is declining or it’s not. You BELIEVE it is but there’s no evidence for it. It’s still not an opinion.

If we don’t know the facts, then it is definitely possible to have an opinion. Just like when someone says it looks cold outside. Until you are outside or know the temperature, you are allowed to have an opinion of the temperature because you don’t know what it is. Therefore, I can have an opinion about something which none of us knows the truth about.

clay.7849

I like cheese.

I’d rather not even if I had them. It was an opinion and just what I have seen from playing again. Take it for what it is, you don’t always have to be right clay.

I don’t want to be right. I want to be able to have an opinion.

clay.7849

I like cheese.

Do you? If so please share.

I don’t. Neither do you. That’s the point. I’m not trying to say that I know what is happening and make people believe it. I’m just giving my opinion.

clay.7849

See what is funny is I’m comfortable knowing that people have different opinions than me. I don’t try and tell them their opinion is wrong. But, when I share my opinion about something we know nothing about, I seem to offend a lot of people and they want to tell me I’m wrong. Guess what? You can’t because you don’t know.

(edited by Moderator)

Vayne.8563

If we don’t know the facts, then it is definitely possible to have an opinion. Just like when someone says it looks cold outside. Until you are outside or know the temperature, you are allowed to have an opinion of the temperature because you don’t know what it is. Therefore, I can have an opinion about something which none of us knows the truth about.

Again, I’m disagreeing with the use of the word opinion. You can guess at the weather, and you might be right or wrong, but it’s demonstrable. I’d never use the word opinion to say what the temperature is like. This is a semantic difference.

Actually I just looked it up and you can have your opinion back. It’s still an opinion that ignores every bit of circumstantial evidence, for which you have no answer, but it’s definitely your opinion.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

What do you know?

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Server-capacity-increased-again/first#post1800178
This is what i know.
Now what do you know?

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

clay.7849

Again, I’m disagreeing with the use of the word opinion. You can guess at the weather, and you might be right or wrong, but it’s demonstrable. I’d never use the word opinion to say what the temperature is like. This is a semantic difference.

Actually I just looked it up and you can have your opinion back. It’s still an opinion that ignores every bit of circumstantial evidence, for which you have no answer, but it’s definitely your opinion.

Thank you!

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

See what is funny is I’m comfortable knowing that people have different opinions than me. I don’t try and tell them their opinion is wrong. But, when I share my opinion about something WE KNOW NOTHING ABOUT, I seem to offend a lot of people and they want to tell me I’m wrong. Guess what? You can’t because you don’t know.

I understand how that is. “Molten Alliance Pick – good or bad idea?” is a pretty stellar example. I go in, and am pretty quickly beset by fanboys, despite the THREAD TITLE ITSELF open soliciting both positive and negative opinion.

User was infracted for being awesome.

Posted by: Uruz Six.6594

Uruz Six.6594

I don’t need to prove anything. It is MY OPINION that there is a declining player base. Nothing I stated was intended to be stated as fact – just opinion.

Step 1: Make an outrageous claim without any verifiable facts.
Step 2: Get called on for making said outrageous claim.
Step 3: Play the victim card about how you’re merely stating an opinion.

Skoryy, sylvari thief: “Act now, figure out ‘with wisdom’ later.”
Nanuchka, norn mesmer: “BOOZEAHOL!”
Tarnished Coast – Still Here, El Guapo!

clay.7849

I don’t need to prove anything. It is MY OPINION that there is a declining player base. Nothing I stated was intended to be stated as fact – just opinion.

It’s not that outrageous, you just think it is because you don’t like it.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Forum PvP 101? I think we could make some money of courses on it here in the GW2 forums.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

clay.7849

See what is funny is I’m comfortable knowing that people have different opinions than me. I don’t try and tell them their opinion is wrong. But, when I share my opinion about something WE KNOW NOTHING ABOUT, I seem to offend a lot of people and they want to tell me I’m wrong. Guess what? You can’t because you don’t know.

I understand how that is. “Molten Alliance Pick – good or bad idea?” is a pretty stellar example. I go in, and am pretty quickly beset by fanboys, despite the THREAD TITLE ITSELF open soliciting both positive and negative opinion.

Exactly. You don’t get to have a discussion because you never get a chance to get past the title of the thread. People disagree with you without discussing the reasons why you think it is a good or bad idea.

RebelYell.7132

How’s that the “victim card”? This is a forum, not a court of law that demands objective evidence of a claim. If it were, it would be a pretty unjust court, as the burden of proof always seems to be on the non-fanboys.

Posted by: Aarean.5398

Aarean.5398

Lol clay you have gotten so many people against you at this point. These are gw2 forums and there will be gw2 fans defending their game. I love it. Its my wow killer. Go on wow forums and discuss with them why you prefer wows game design over gw2. Bam you win

RebelYell.7132

Lol clay you have gotten so many people against you at this point. These are gw2 forums and there will be gw2 fans defending their game. I love it. Its my wow killer. Go on wow forums and discuss with them why you prefer wows game design over gw2. Bam you win

That I DO know for a fact to not be true. At least, not after the mess that is daily quest-gated reputation vendors. Burning effigies of Ghostcrawler is a daily ritual for them now.

Posted by: carabidus.6214

carabidus.6214

Maybe you don’t get the weight of the word “legendary”.

I get it, but I do not think the developers get it. There is nothing “legendary” about the process of crafting a legendary weapon in GW2. It boils down to mats and gold. That makes us merchants and TP warriors, and there’s nothing epic about it.

This game started loosing me when I began seeing pink warriors in quaggan backpacks and 8-bit “adventure boxes”…

clay.7849

Haters gonna hate lol.

Posted by: Uruz Six.6594

Uruz Six.6594

Saying a game is losing players on that game’s own forum without any facts backing it up isn’t outrageous? Prove it.

Forum PvP 101? I think we could make some money of courses on it here in the GW2 forums.

To be honest, just reading for a couple weeks should give them all the experience they need.

How’s that the “victim card”? This is a forum, not a court of law that demands objective evidence of a claim. If it were, it would be a pretty unjust court, as the burden of proof always seems to be on the non-fanboys.

See, we’ve even had a display of Forum PvP 102: Claim there’s no victim card, then play one of your own in the very same paragraph.

Skoryy, sylvari thief: “Act now, figure out ‘with wisdom’ later.”
Nanuchka, norn mesmer: “BOOZEAHOL!”
Tarnished Coast – Still Here, El Guapo!

Posted by: Aarean.5398

Aarean.5398

Haters gonna hate lol.

Go. To. Wow. Forums. You will find people who build on your opinion. I cant fault vayne for defending this game. Its an amazing game and half of us are on here because we are at work and want to play when we get home lol

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

Yes, but what you are saying is more like this:

You look outside and without feeling the temperature you state “Hey, it’s 65 degrees outside and is heading for 50!” When really all you see is a cloud in the sky.

You clearly stated your opinion as fact and had no basis for it. Anyone can do that, but it doesn’t mean they should.

This game has sold 15 million copies.

There, I just did it too.

RebelYell.7132

Saying a game is losing players on that game’s own forum without any facts backing it up isn’t outrageous? Prove it.

To be honest, just reading for a couple weeks should give them all the experience they need.

See, we’ve even had a display of Forum PvP 102: Claim there’s no victim card, then play one of your own in the very same paragraph.

I’m not a victim. I choose to be aggressive. If there are those of like mind that have been unduly silenced by the cargo cult of game design, they may in fact be victims. I couldn’t prove they exist, but I can’t disprove them either.

Posted by: Lifelost.5627

Lifelost.5627

I agree with the op re: dungeons. Trash mobs are just no fun and require all party members to skill into counter mechanics, focus down mobs from a far with the occasional melee scuffle when your hp and endurance can afford it.
If i could change one thing in GW2 I would make trash encounters into place of wonderous carnage and great stress relief. Mobs would be more melee friendly, have higher health pools to counter the increased damage they will receive and not require so many different counters per pull. There are a great range of mobs in GW2, it wouldn’t be a problem to scale the difficulty of mobs throughout the dungeons and paths. This would stop trash skipping and make the dungeons a lot more accessible to the casual player.
At this time, Some the dungeons require an average level of commitment and understanding with insane roadblock mechanics that just aren’t fun to overcome. I’m not saying i want it easy,just fun. My old WoW guild of 7 years(Vox Populi) and my brother and his friends have already left, I’m still here atm because I enjoy WvW roaming for the moment.
Anet says it wants to keep both the average and the committed gamer on an even keel but some dungeons are just too hard for the average gamer to enjoy and the committed are penalized for the time they spend online grinding.

If people are to return to GW2 this needs attention.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

For kitten sake, he means – I have observed that guild wars 2 seems to be losing active players and here’s why I think this is happening, if in fact it is.

I hate semantic arguments when you know perfectly well what he means.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

For kitten sake, he means – I have observed that guild wars 2 seems to be losing active players and here’s why I think this is happening, if in fact it is.

I understand your frustration of semantics, and I hate when people create sensationalist arguments with no evidence and state it as fact.

As for semantics, it may be frustrating, but it’s also very important. Using correct language is the only way to properly convey your message. If you mis-use words, your recipient is bound to misunderstand you.

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

The market costs are way to expensive, I’ll agree there- Anet only cares about the players who use real $$ – meanwhile those of us who don’t are grinding our butts off in crappy dungeons just to make 5 gold- only to find out 5 gold won’t get you diddly squat in the BLTP if transferred from gold to gems, my guild of 70 went entirely dead because of that fact, other than the poor dungeon designs. Most of the costs are so high because players will buy out most of the items then inflate them & other players are dumb enough to put in orders for close to the inflated price. But that’s what happens when you have a free market. Then the only players that will be left are the ones who will actually use the gem store because actual market prices will be so high, that it will become pointless just to even place an order.

Dungeons aren’t that hard- they’re just stupid in gw2, if you’re not running past a hoard of mobs or skipping parts of the dungeon, then it’s finding an exploit to make the run faster & easier. Atleast that’s how I see it. Dungeons should be harder/fun/challenging & more rewarding overall.

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

If you like the game the game is succeeding and if you hate the game it is in decline.

Having a discussion about this is pointless, but I supposed posting on the forum is also pointless. If you really want to know whether the game is succeeding or failing go read the Ncsoft stock holder meeting, it isn’t that hard. Unless you can’t read that is.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I understand your frustration of semantics, and I hate when people create sensationalist arguments with no evidence and state it as fact.

As for semantics, it may be frustrating, but it’s also very important. Using correct language is the only way to properly convey your message. If you mis-use words, your recipient is bound to misunderstand you.

Lol. Fair enough. But I think that on the forums one shouldn’t have to preface everything with “I think.” I have frequently seen anecdotal evidence dismissed because it’s not statistically significant when, in fact, it’s not possible for us to get the statistics.

With the exception of a couple of trolls, I think everyone here likes the game, or likes a vision of the game that they have constructed in their heads, and everyone wants the game to get “better.”

What that means may vary.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

+1, agree with all the points made by OP. Story mode dungeons offer no incentive for people even want to do them, and explorable modes needs more balance on difficulty and better scaling of rewards vs efforts and time. My biggest issue is with WvW, while last patch made some improvement, it still feel like that part of the game is just an afterthought from the developers. WvW needs more bigger maps and variety. Same map design for all 3 borderlands is just pure display of laziness.

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

Posted by: Khai.6435

Khai.6435

The drawback leading me away from the game and starting to look to other horizons is twofold.

1. There is simply no feeling of advancement. Sure if I continously run the same instance over and over again ad nauseum I may get a slight gear increase; but the gear is hardly necessary which trivializes the accomlishment. There and spending however many hundreds of hours to buy…. a new shirt? leads to point 2.

2. The effort for reward simply doesn’t seem balanced.

The “hardest” paths in the various dungeons do not have equivalent rewards for the time it takes to accomplish and a few even reward you less since the number of boss fights are actually less than some other paths. This again from a risk/reward factor leads people away from the content and is poorly designed.

Is Arah “harder” perhaps, but you are wearing gear that blows the rewards you get out of the water. Oh look we spent X minutes kiting the big undead guy around in circles and I get <drumroll> 2 blues and 1 green…. pffffffft

Yes, I understand there are other tasks such as the jumping puzzles and world unlocks; but I want to see my character develop. Achievements offer very little for me and are not a carrot.

Posted by: Rakanarshi.5892

Rakanarshi.5892

I played this game for a bit when it came out and I have only recently came back to it. I think if people are going to leave the game for any reason it may be due to the game looking like it is abandoned. I run around the level 50-60 zones and see almost no one else, same goes for most starting zones save the human one. Can’t they put those half empty servers in one big over flow server or something? I also haven’t had the chance to try any dungeons due to a lack of people, I could get a guild, but some how I don’t think they would help me until I was max level or something.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

@OP, I disagree with everything you said.
Dungeon difficulty should be tuned though.
There should be entry-level dungeons, and dungeons that start BEFORE lvl 30. People don’t have the patience to wait 30 levels to try out their first dungeon experience, and i agree with them. Dungeons should start within the first 10-15 levels.

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

Your post makes many good points, ESPECIALLY about dungeons.

Just a tip about making money: I’ve went from 0 to 44 gold in the bank this week. How? Wandering around normally, doing 3-4 events/day that give a boss chest and running through about 200 jewelery boxes. It’s seriously easy to make money once you stop spending it to level alts and crafting, and the jewelery boxes make karma actually useful for something.

What’s a jewelry box/ Seriously, I’m missing out on this!

clay.7849

Just a tip about making money: I’ve went from 0 to 44 gold in the bank this week. How? Wandering around normally, doing 3-4 events/day that give a boss chest and running through about 200 jewelery boxes. It’s seriously easy to make money once you stop spending it to level alts and crafting, and the jewelery boxes make karma actually useful for something.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Lost_Orrian_Jewelry_Box

Although, there are better ways to make gold from Karma.

For example,

Making Omnomberry Bars nets around 3-4 gold per 1k karma.
Bowl of Baker’s Wet Ingredients is sitting around 2.5g per 1k karma.
Omnomberry Pie….3.5g per 1k karma
Raspberry Peach Bars…4-5g per 1k karma
Rare Unidentified Gray Dye…. 50s – 1g per 1k karma
Bowl of Dilled Cream Sauce… 5-6g per 1k karma

This is all based on today’s market from TP.

There are other ways as well…

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

His fallows a more logical path.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Guys you want proof, well sadly no one can give proof but Anet and no way will they release data that shows they are leaking players faster than gaining, the game would die over night..

My opinion follows clay not because i want Guildwars 2 to die but because i’m seeing the signs on my server every day, over the past month since SAB was introduced i’ve seen less and less populations every where, be it World Events failing regularly due to low attendance at times, Lions Arch, WvW and i even checked SAB very few there..

My friends are all bored to death, some left to play some Tera, Aion and TSW and a few others, some coming on less and less for Guild bounties only etc, others even said just log in for dailies, this isn’t a small number its 500 or so guild, ask in lions arch many people are bored to death, everyone has issues with getting dungeons / fotm runs i’ve even seen GW2lfg not getting anyone, classes being nerfed constantly, speed reductions etc didn’t help at all..

So either a lot are all still guesting 24/7 or things the way they are aren’t working at all..

Posted by: SadieDeAtreia.8912

SadieDeAtreia.8912

lol clay…

You state a less popular opinion on ‘their forums’ and the burden of proof is upon you and you alone to justify your claims. Even if there is no definitive answer and everyone needs to rely on speculation (like in this case with the server capacity vs active player base), they will not admit that their arguments are just as much ‘opinion-based’ and speculative as yours.

So the server capacity has been increased? Ah, OK, so I’ll just blindly believe this to be true then. I mean, they haven’t lied to us before, right?

Right?

See what I did there? Haha, we can speculate for days on who’s right and why but, the simple fact is, nobody but Arenanet knows what the state of the game really is and what the actual numbers really look like.

Vayne.8563

lol clay…

You state a less popular opinion on ‘their forums’ and the burden of proof is upon you and you alone to justify your claims. Even if there is no definitive answer and everyone needs to rely on speculation (like in this case with the server capacity vs active player base), they will not admit that their arguments are just as much ‘opinion-based’ and speculative as yours.

So the server capacity has been increased? Ah, OK, so I’ll just blindly believe this to be true then. I mean, they haven’t lied to us before, right?

Right?

See what I did there? Haha, we can speculate for days on who’s right and why but, the simple fact is, nobody but Arenanet knows what the state of the game really is and what the actual numbers really look like.

See, when people have said straight out that they were looking at the server capacity and all of them jumped from very high to medium on the same say…you can ignore those people or call them liars, but at least there’s some evidence what Anet said was true.

Not to mention several posts saying I just got this game, even on other forums, probably from the weekend sale.

See, there is evidence Anet isn’t lying to us, but you just don’t want to look at that evidence. People actually saw the world status change all at once. Are they liars too?

Posted by: SadieDeAtreia.8912

SadieDeAtreia.8912

They have full control. We see what they want us to see. No more, no less.
What each of us makes with this ‘information’, combined with what we actually experience in-game (faltering guild numbers, empty friends lists) is up to us as individuals.

But feel free to disregard the actual point of my post.
Oh, wait, you already did.

clay.7849

My opinions are based on anecdotal evidence as well as everyone else’s. Why would anyone deny that the game if the year 2012 and #1 rated game on MMORPG.com isn’t selling copies which would lead to server increases? That an te fact that there is need for space to accommodate the free trial weekend coming up? However, tying that to the fact that the overall population of the game is going well is about as valid as me saying that because I’ve seen massive people and guilds quitting the game the population is doing poorly.

Both are equally anecdotal and pointless to use as a basis to support my opinion as true. Therefore, I refuse to give reasons or try to say my opinion is true. It is just my opinion. And it is no more valid, based on the fact that we know nothing, as everyone else’s opinion.

And the fanboys hate that everything I just said is undeniably correct.

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

For example,

How do you make those from karma?

clay.7849

For example,

Check out the recipes. You can’t not make them from Karma.

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

For example,

lol. This post is about as misleading as you can get. Because one item or so is bought with karma in a recipe, the entire recipe is not made from Karma.

clay.7849

For example,

lol. This post is about as misleading as you can get. Because one item or so is bought with karma in a recipe, the entire recipe is not made from Karma.

Whatever you want to believe. The fact is, on a per karma basis, the recipes will net you more copper/silver/gold per karma than Orrian Jewelry boxes.

I never said that you could make gold from just Karma, but in the process of making those recipes, you will need to use Karma and it is a way to turn it in to gold.

Just because you thought something I didn’t say doesn’t make it misleading. It just makes you bad at reading and comprehension.

Posted by: Rosen Myst.7641

Rosen Myst.7641

I’d like to redirect people to the original topic which is “Why I think you’re (Anet) losing active players.” Presently, the discussion has devolved into a few people arguing about opinions and statements by others. We need constructive comments about what aspects of the game may be causing people to leave. Whether or not the game is failing (or not) isn’t the topic.

I don’t play GW2 anymore. I enjoyed exploring all the zones and got map completion. I enjoyed doing the personal story, hearts and dynamic events. I even enjoyed the jumping puzzles. I have not, however, found myself drawn in like I did with the original GW. I dislike dungeons and pvp; for me they’re just not fun.

I miss questing, heroes and henchmen, the skill system, and the unique feel of each profession. I loved playing my mesmer in GW! I love the characters in the game like Mhenlo, Cynn, Zhed, Koss, etc. They had little stories of their own that gave them personality. GW is the absolute best game I’ve ever played.

I know many people enjoy GW2 because it fits their style of play better. It doesn’t fit mine; so I’ve moved on. It just doesn’t have the things I loved about GW.