Why I won't be getting PoF. (Plz, no hate).

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Holgarf.6581

Holgarf.6581

Just sharing my opinion, so bear with me. Before anyone says, yes I can afford it.

My experience with GW2: Late comer. HoT: Late comer. Overall experience of GW2: unpopulated maps.

I’ve never liked map instances – I’ve always had negative experiences with it and always thought it was a bad idea. Some times there are busy maps but often times, even during weekend or so-called peak-times, I end up on a largely unpopulated map with no ability to pick for myself what map instance I want to go to. If LFG isn’t used (and it’s mostly barren for what I want) then you have no way of switching, UNLESS the game detects that the map is empty and asks you if you would like to switch. Sadly it appears that detection either sucks or doesn’t take into account AFKers and botters.

Understandably much of the early game content is lacking in players. Dungeons from years back have been pretty dead for a long time, but I find it most disappointing that much of HoT is unpopulated.

I’ve done everything everyone has ever suggested: Peak times, weekends, LFG. There comes a point where there is TOO much reliance on other people to complete content and not many people want to help others out. Map instances split a potentially huge number of players, a ridiculous amount and if you happen to be on a UNPOPULATED map, then you’re not going to have much fun (especially if you’re at the mercy of the horrible map population detector) – contrary to what the server population indicator says.

My dilemma, since I’ve embraced the differences of GW2 as a MMO different from others, is that while I understand it is a glorified collection game and has much to do in that regard, is that much of it cannot be obtained without other people and due to instances, it is a huge block on newcomers to the game or those going back to earlier content to achieve and collect such things. I am one of those people who went back to go collect earlier gear and most of the experience has been horrible. Do I abandon early core GW2 content and HoT and jump straight to Path of Fire when it first releases because a lack of popularity on older content makes it harder for me to find someone to play such content? Do I then return to HoT later, only to find it double dead because even more time has passed? OR do I stick with HoT and hope the few people (thanks to instances and a crummy LFG system) still playing HoT content are around on my map or using LFG so I can actually complete stuff, only to go to Path of Fire content way way down the line and HOPE that it hasn’t become barren like much of the core content and HoT? Breathes

Now I understand a lot of people love GW2 and may not have had the problems I have had, but it does occur. I’ve spoken to many people in game who agree that instances are to blame and I’ve been on the end of failed events countless times because of a lack of players. I specifically remember one time a couple months ago when my map in Silverwastes was mostly empty, so I used LFG only to join a Bandit Chest train map that had LOTS of people in a squad, but of course none of which were defending the fortresses – little example of a big problem.

I know having everyone in the same map (like traditional MMOs) is not a good way of approaching this issue, but there must be a better way of addressing dead content. Is the map number simply too small? Having tiny numbers of players per map, which is then filled with higher levels not interested in aged content is not going to help when there are people looking for help.

I don’t want to buy Path of Fire unless I know that crap map populations aren’t going to be a problem a couple of years down the line. Yeah… a couple of years. Remember not everybody gets the content and plays it right away or at a rate that gets them so far so quickly. I’m still doing SW stuff and I’ve had HoT a few months (and though HoT has been out a while, there are tons of unpopulated areas).

There’s a lot of people playing GW2 and it sucks so much that map instances are the sole reason for limiting player experience – especially those who are trying to get the most out of earlier content before moving on to the later stuff.

The only time I’ve not seen a lack of population, is with dailies. Perhaps this can be expanded on in future? There needs to be more incentive to return to varying areas in GW2.

Please do not confuse this rambling as me saying GW2 sucks, because I didn’t say or imply it. I’m merely expressing my view and my experience of player population on certain maps and content (especially with collections). I like the game, a lot and wished I’d joined it when it first released, but sadly that was not the case.

(Edit for grammar and clarity)

(edited by Holgarf.6581)

Posted by: sevenDEADLY.5281

sevenDEADLY.5281

Whats your definition of alive? Because I log into the game at random hours on random days and always see people playing, even in vanilla maps. I tend to see more people in HoT maps when I’m roaming around, but that’s how all MMOs ever made work (more people in newer content). So unless you’re expecting 500 players to be playing on your active screen at every given moment to be considered “not dead”, I don’t understand these arguments.

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

I don’t understand, either. I see people everywhere I go, whether that be new or old maps.

Are you in an active guild? (sorry if you mentioned that in your wall of text) Regardless of map populations, an active guild makes a huge difference for socially-minded people, or those seeking help with content.

Posted by: Trinnitty.8256

Trinnitty.8256

If you wait to get PoF, you will be late again to the party. Which in turn the maps will be less populated. Get in on it while its new while most players will be there it will be full and fun.

Posted by: Ragnar Stormcaller.6253

Ragnar Stormcaller.6253

I can see exactly where the Op is coming from. I played from startup til about the middle of LS season 1. Came back just before christmas and bought HoT.
Yes there are maps in HoT where the meta still runs, but it’s a lottery if you can get on them and LFG doesn’t always help.
The map closure tool just flat out doesn’t work. You can be 20% into the meta and the tool tells you the map is empty and closing. Balthazar help you if you choose to move though, as it is garunteed to drop you in a zone where the meta hasn’t even started, and now you won’t have time to finish it. I guess that is why no-one ever, ever, ever accepts a move off map. But kitten , why not just fix the tool? Surely the game can see those participating in meta events and those just wandering around, gathering or vista-ing. Why can’t it move you to a map where others are doing the same as you?

And yeah, it’s a given that on the 22nd Sept for at least a month HoT will be flat out empty. You see it every time a new map opens, 5 new maps will just compound the problem.

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

Also, if you consider how many PVE maps GW2 began with, and how many there are now and yet to come, the player population can/will get spread thin.

Still, I normally do 5 key runs every weekend and have yet to be alone in those starter instances or in the starter maps.

All anecdotal, of course, but that’s what this thread is about.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

It is extremely rare for me to take a white knight position, but deadness is not something I experience in GW2. And, I have 25+ max level characters so I’ve experienced a good deal of the world at different times (e.g., as a latecomer).

The only place where this broke down for me was HoT, and the whole conception of the zones in HoTland is simply bad design made manifest. I stopped playing HoT and went back to experiencing the living world that is GW2.

In terms of PoF I’m not going to prepurchase either precisely because of HoT. If I’m convinced at some point that PoF stands of the shoulders of GW2 and not HoT I’ll buy it. But, I won’t be fooled into buying a game I won’t enjoy just because it’s from the creators of GW2—they made HoT afterall.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I think one of the issues people are facing is one that Arenanet has been silent about: Megaserver still doesn’t work as it should.

I’ve lost track of how many times I log in, or port to a new map, only to be met immediately with the offer to switch maps. Or, like the other night, my party and I get offered to switch maps, we click on “yes”, and wind up…in the exact same map.

Getting the offer to change maps, and then getting transported to a map that is just as dead, or even the exact same dead map, is not helping the situation at all.

The best solution, of all, would be to allow users to somehow see and select different instances (with full instances marked in red). However, this also means that Anet would need to completely rework the harvesting system, as people would be able to hp from instance to instance harvesting whatever item they are after.

I think it is something that should be done though. To be able to open a LFG style window, or a tab in the LFG window that shows the instances of your current map, along with their population would resolve some of the issues like what the OP has experienced.

Longevity of the content is an issue in many games. Arenanet has attempted to force replayability by adding achievements and other things, which works in some cases, but overall it is also where some of the accusations of “grind” come from. For example, if you want to completed the “Machined” weapon set, you’re going to have to do a bit of running around, be it to get the related HoT map currencies, or to get the reclaimed plates, and so on. The line between “replayability” and “grind” starts to get blurred depending on how much time you have to spend in game, and what skill level you are at.

I think that, other than the map instance idea, one of the better solutions would be for Anet to have a team that is in charge of keeping older content alive, by introducing new items (armor sets anyone?) that require players to spend time in the older maps. Or new titles, new achievements, etc. This has been attempted through “current events”, so it can be shown to work, but so far it’s only been with core-Tyria maps, where specific currency can’t be worked into the equation.

I think the machined weapons set is a good example of the type of content that could bring players back to older maps.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

/me throws a chair in anger.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Purgatori.3645

Purgatori.3645

I don’t understand, either. I see people everywhere I go, whether that be new or old maps.

Are you in an active guild? (sorry if you mentioned that in your wall of text) Regardless of map populations, an active guild makes a huge difference for socially-minded people, or those seeking help with content.

@DeanBB Im sorry this is untrue. An active guild is no gurantee for those seeking help with content … Ive been playing since launch and have rarely had anyone help me with any content. Ive even had guildies glide right past me and wont offer a rez! LOL So Ive stopped repping …

@ OP …. I have seen dead maps in all content of GW2 there is no gurantee that people will be around to help you or in your area or maybe your server is just not busy that day …. There are also times I cant even see through the wall of blue character names and have trouble keeping up with the zerg … you take your chances whenever you log in!

When life knocks you down, roll over and look at the stars.

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

Lol “dead maps”. I played WoW for a few months and never met a single soul whilst leveling in pve.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

Holgarf.6581

Then perhaps this is the problem with instancing? Shoving people into maps where people are around and then some unfortunate people end up in maps with people off doing certain things away from your intent or are afk?

I honestly don’t know, but my major concerns are with unpopulated maps and it has nearly always been an issue for me and a very negative experience. It is why I don’t want to put money down for PoF, as tempting as it is.

If only we could pick instances from a list based on its popularity, directly.

Posted by: Daleon.8912

Daleon.8912

Understandably, much of the early game content is dead. Dungeons from years back have been pretty dead for a long time, but I find it most disappointing that much of HoT is unpopulated.

My experience is completely different. Usually at prime time there are multiple LFGs for every single dungeon. SW is being farmed most of the time. Triple Trouble is done almost daily. There’s usually a world boss train running, and the HoT metas are completed every night. HoT HP runs take place quite often. Tequatl gets killed at 5 am in the morning. Even in Dry Top there are enough players for the meta. At least in EU, Core and HoT aren’t dead at all.

Posted by: Game of Bones.8975

Game of Bones.8975

I was a person who was happy with GW1 and was NEVER going to get GW2. Now I’m just as addicted as I was to GW1.

I think now that the system they created with GW2, expanded with HoT, and are now getting ready to expand again has been tested and fixed for the majority of the players.

With each expansion, you will see fewer people in the older parts of GW2, so they may need to find alternate ways to craft 1st and 2nd Gen Legendary weapons. That wouldn’t hurt my feelings a bit.

It stands to reason that the more area you cover, and don’t increase the population, the fewer people you will see.

Holgarf.6581

I didn’t even read it, but I have to ask: why are you even bothering to share this here? I am sure no-one cares besides you. Either leave or stop pretending please.

This kind of behaviour why you can’t discuss anything online if it involves saying something remotely negative about something somebody loves.

I discuss these things in the hope that future decisions around map instances change and perhaps in future, features be added or changed to prevent dead (unpopulated) zones.

Complaints and criticisms are everywhere, but without it things wouldn’t change for the better, whether that be a game, bug fixes in software, changes in design in hardware, etc, so you should be grateful because where it may not have much impact here, you can bet that someone’s criticisms of something has shaped a product that you actively today. What I post about is feedback with hope thrown in. Mindless comments and complete disregard from people who just want to hate on the OP, for the sake of doing so (or for the sake of the game they justify spending much time and money on) isn’t helpful in the slightest.

Posted by: Jinath.1298

Jinath.1298

I didn’t even read it, but I have to ask: why are you even bothering to share this here? I am sure no-one cares besides you. Either leave or stop pretending please.

So, maybe take a moment and read the opening post.
You might actually learn something.

I read the OP and there are a lot of good points there. I also am not planning to get the new expansion either. I didn’t even get HoT because it would have been a total waste of money.

The game (GW2) needs some ‘serious’ work in order to be a viable MMO again. I could go down the list but so many other posts already cover the problems with balance, PVP, PVE, WVW, damage mitigation, healing, etc…that I really don’t feel it is necessary to emphasize the point over again.

Call me whatever you like, but GW2 is sinking like the Titanic. There are a ton of better games out there to spend time with.