Why Map Content Doesn't Last...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: STIHL.2489

STIHL.2489

In the end, a hard meter to pass helps everyone involved. if gives people looking into getting into raids a direction and a demand to meet to allow them to judge if they are serious enough to want to do this, and it ensures that to the people doing raids that the people looking to join them at the very least, put in the work to be ready for this.

I do not see any downside to putting in that fixed requirement, in fact it would help everyone in the long run. If you feel there is a downside, I am willing to hear it, but, it would need to a logical rational downside, not simply that you do not like it.

This is a game. Entertainment. I don’t want to work in a game. I don’t want to be serious about a game. I want to play a game and be entertained.

This is the game where you spend your time having fun, not preparing to have fun. ANet has said so time and time again. And it works for the vast majority of players of this game. Excluding players for whatever reason isn’t on the agenda and doesn’t mesh with the direction of this game at all.

For reference: I’ve participated in several raid boss kills (and I mean participated, not being carried) on different classes. I’ve had my Ad Infinitum since shortly after it was released. I’m certainly able to play raids and t4 fractals, even though I seldom do it (due to rl restrictions).

I still don’t see the point in excluding people from content by enforcing hard gates that require them to prepare in totally different kinds of content to even be able to try raids, and allow access only to people with a specific mindset.

Your objection seems to be nothing more then an emotional objection done for the sake of it, with no real in game activity on your part to show any reason for your objection, since you already partake in doing T4 fractals, which are very gated content, and by your own admission it does not impeded your ability to play the game for fun, you own gaming activity denounces decries your objection to this idea.

There are two kinds of gamers, salty, and extra salty

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I would suggest exploring the core areas more. For some reason it feels to me like replayability has gone down over time, even though things like quality have gone up. We have had the core maps since the beginning but I can never fail to find something to do there. Meanwhile, by the time I got to LS3 the new maps were ‘wow, gee’ and for most of them only visit a few times. Between Siren’s Landing and Draconis Mons I probably made a dozen trips combined and did not even bother to do the story after I got to the new zones.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I would suggest exploring the core areas more. For some reason it feels to me like replayability has gone down over time, even though things like quality have gone up. We have had the core maps since the beginning but I can never fail to find something to do there. Meanwhile, by the time I got to LS3 the new maps were ‘wow, gee’ and for most of them only visit a few times. Between Siren’s Landing and Draconis Mons I probably made a dozen trips combined and did not even bother to do the story after I got to the new zones.

I’m not 100% sure what it is, but my pattern has been:

• Finish story
  • Finish zone completion on my main
  • Finish buying up the cosmetics I want
  • Do only fast dailies, get bored of that every day, leave map forever.

The only reason I go to Lake Doric is because I’m cheap and it’s a fast way to get to a capital city for bank access without having to pay for it. >.>

But why? I’m not sure.
Bloodstone Fen events don’t happen frequently enough. Or it’s the stupidly frustrating Cleric event. It’s just not worth the bother.
Ember Bay events are also fairly sparse. If I stick around, it’s to do the two daily heart quests right off the leyline. Jade anything mobs can get kittened, and so can Chalice of Tears. There’s nothing fun to do there.
Bitterfrost is just a blegh zone. No reason to stay there, only farm. And the farming is annoying from the constant transformation freeze (transfreezmation?) and chill. I occasionally do a torch defense or two.
Lake Doric has a decent amount of activity, but it’s so spread out, and a lot of the events are just kind of bland, with irritating White Mantle mobs willing to chain-aggro. Or the goofed up leather arm, which is more ‘farming over fun’.
Draconis Mons is convoluted to the point where trying to reach an event just takes too long. It’s over by the time you realize how to get there.
Siren’s Landing is . . honestly, it’s just more of the same. The shrines are fantastic for getting around, but hiding an event over the Dwayna shrine and playing the Disappearing Blocks Trope makes the area exceedingly frustrating. I keep meaning to do more in the area, but . . I just have better things to do.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: voltaicbore.8012

voltaicbore.8012

I’m totally with you on this. I still have a good time just mass-hunting bandit champs in core maps to deplete the stacks of encoded orders I haul around. The only reason I ever go to the LS3 maps is to just farm up what I want, and then I never go back.

Posted by: Kenze.3678

Kenze.3678

I agree, there should be some weapon rewards or armor rewards for each zone, so there is a reason to play there for a little while. It should not a take massive time to collect, but something like the ascended jewelry that we have got from the LS3 maps.

Hopefully bounties can bring something in the future aswell, but I guess we are all tired of the pouches/bags with nothing but crafting materials and a tiny chance for something good.

Anet can keep making weapons for the gemstore aswell, but bring something to the zones!

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

I like Siren’s Landing with the exception of the Balthazar reliquery. That place is too packed and you’re never not in combat and those veterans take forever to kill.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

Map content doesn’t last because we a re lazy, we use way-points, we glide, we run and now we’ll ride mount all in the name of finishing maps in a hurry.
We should all simply walk not run or glide or whatever. So chill walk your way there allow enemies to catch up and kill you that way maps will last longer. Instead of jumping to the plateau with the rabbit climb your way the top after Anet has brought back the idea of climbing. You know that awesome feature that Anet cancelled and would have made this MMO even greater and be the only MMO that would have had this feature. And for crying out loud stop wasting money and using way-points.

(edited by Hybarf Tics.2048)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

In the end, a hard meter to pass helps everyone involved. if gives people looking into getting into raids a direction and a demand to meet to allow them to judge if they are serious enough to want to do this, and it ensures that to the people doing raids that the people looking to join them at the very least, put in the work to be ready for this.

I do not see any downside to putting in that fixed requirement, in fact it would help everyone in the long run. If you feel there is a downside, I am willing to hear it, but, it would need to a logical rational downside, not simply that you do not like it.

This is a game. Entertainment. I don’t want to work in a game. I don’t want to be serious about a game. I want to play a game and be entertained.

This is the game where you spend your time having fun, not preparing to have fun. ANet has said so time and time again. And it works for the vast majority of players of this game. Excluding players for whatever reason isn’t on the agenda and doesn’t mesh with the direction of this game at all.

For reference: I’ve participated in several raid boss kills (and I mean participated, not being carried) on different classes. I’ve had my Ad Infinitum since shortly after it was released. I’m certainly able to play raids and t4 fractals, even though I seldom do it (due to rl restrictions).

I still don’t see the point in excluding people from content by enforcing hard gates that require them to prepare in totally different kinds of content to even be able to try raids, and allow access only to people with a specific mindset.

Your objection seems to be nothing more then an emotional objection done for the sake of it, with no real in game activity on your part to show any reason for your objection, since you already partake in doing T4 fractals, which are very gated content, and by your own admission it does not impeded your ability to play the game for fun, you own gaming activity denounces decries your objection to this idea.

Fortunately, there are players who have the opposite attitude toward Raiding as evidenced by this post/thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/NA-GW2-Raid-Training-Discord

Still, good luck.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Let’s see.
In Core Tyria there are loads of players still playing in Dry Top and Silverwastes. World Bosses still attract loads of players, even the lower level ones, like Shadow Behemoth or the Fire Elemental.
All 4 Heart of Thorns maps have loads of maps filled doing the meta events and other regular events every day.
LS3 maps all have a healthy population of players.

How do you figure that map content doesn’t last? Because I think most maps have already passed the test of time.

STIHL.2489

Fortunately, there are players who have the opposite attitude toward Raiding

Let me see, what you are saying is that you would rather chafe under player imposed gates an sanctions which are often only found out about only after being hazed out of a raid, for not meeting these requirements, as opposed to having a clearly defined path set for you by the game itself to ensure you are at the very least properly equipped.

So in essence what really want is to enable elitist to get to act-out like elitist when people join raids without knowing what kind of prep they should do before hand.. and somehow you think that makes me the bad guy?

LOL

(edited by STIHL.2489)

Posted by: Mordachai.1896

Mordachai.1896

[quote=6725350;Twyn.7320
As for the ‘claiming my opinion is a percentage of the player-base’, my opinion is fuelled by the countless people across many guilds that I’m in who regularly drop out because there’s nothing to do, outside of maybe 3-4 PvP matches a day, and a WvW hour long zerg.

If you’re not bored, that’s fine. But there’s examples in GW2 of long-lasting content, and The Silverwastes is one of those things, that’s still regularly played even now.[/quote]

500 × 5 isnt exactly “countless” , i know because i just counted em.

That said, for every one of those 2500 people you claim to speak for, there is probably one who really doesnt like the silverwastes meta (like me). Good thing about guildwars is that if/when you get bored… you can go play something else.

I play guildwars daily; some day i just do the dailies, other days i feel like mapping, heck.. sometimes i even do personal story. There is one thing i almost never do though… Meta’s. That’s the type of content that bores me; running around in a zerg and autoattacking whatever gets in front of you with the occasional use of another skill if you feel particularly heroic while fending off neverending squadinvites because “YOU NEED TO BE IN MY SQUAD OR WE ALL DIE!!”

I also like the “WHY ARE YOU HP FARMING?? YOU NEED TO DO THE META!!” that ive gotten a few times.

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Let’s see.
In Core Tyria there are loads of players still playing in Dry Top and Silverwastes. World Bosses still attract loads of players, even the lower level ones, like Shadow Behemoth or the Fire Elemental.
All 4 Heart of Thorns maps have loads of maps filled doing the meta events and other regular events every day.

How do you figure that map content doesn’t last? Because I think most maps have already passed the test of time.

The secret is that maps with meta events survive and continue to attract people where maps without big meta events/world bosses kind of die out, and some of the LS3 maps don’t have any meta events or big world bosses.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Let me see, what you are saying is that you would rather chafe under player imposed gates an sanctions which are often only found out about only after being hazed out of a raid, for not meeting these requirements, as opposed to having a clearly defined path set for you by the game itself to ensure you are at the very least properly equipped.

So in essence what really want is to enable elitist to get to act-out like elitist when people join raids without knowing what kind of prep they should do before hand.. and somehow you think that makes me the bad guy?

LOL

That is some convoluted logic there. I have no opinion regarding whether you are a ‘bad guy’ or anything else. I do, however, think those offering inclusive gameplay opportunities are more welcome than those offering exclusive gameplay opportunities. Make of that what you will.

Good luck.

STIHL.2489

LOL

That is some convoluted logic there. I have no opinion regarding whether you are a ‘bad guy’ or anything else. I do, however, think those offering inclusive gameplay opportunities are more welcome than those offering exclusive gameplay opportunities. Make of that what you will.

Good luck.

If they wanted to make inclusive content, they would not have made raids to start with, but since they did, they may as well make them thematically correct to the rest of the existing instance based content.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I guess we have a more inclusive-minded playerbase than supposed, then. Hooray for that!

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Im curious to understand what silverwastes offers that differs from ls3 maps. Sure its an excellent meta map, but it is just the same replay each time, never offering anything new or varied.

Ls3 maps in contrast do not have metas, which as i said earlier is a welcomed and conscious design, but has hearts, many more events of various styles and a lot more acievements and exclusive rewards and skins in each map. Plus those maps are full and ma y players are enjoying them as much as they did silverwastes.

So where, ultimately does the difference lie?

An interesting map wide event.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Let’s see.

Yey for the excitement of farming beries.