Why No Guild Alliances?

Why No Guild Alliances?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

So GW2 gives us the ability to be in multiple guilds at the same time. This allows people to be in different guilds for different reasons. One guild might specialize in PvE, one WvW, one world events, one for goofing around (a force of plush griffons attckingin WvW) and so fourth. That seems like a good idea but it then also drives people a part. So why is there not the ability to form alliances among guilds? This would allow people to stay connected through an alliance chat, possibly allow some shared guild buffs or alliance buffs and allow communities to re-knit some after the Megaserver broke them apart. Yes TS/RC/Vent/Mumble allow people to still connect outside of game but they are typically in different comms based on guild/event/channel. With a shared in game comm method people could reach out to others to share information, chat, call for help in WvW, banter, RP and other things. Have seen this work in a number of games. Curious what peoples thoughts are, or are we more focused on ONE GUILD TO RULE THEM ALL! sorry had to go there. Good hunting!

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Why No Guild Alliances?

Posted by: wolfie.7296

wolfie.7296

i like doing my own thing. when you are in a guild, you have to obey what others want you to do.

Why No Guild Alliances?

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I like the idea! It wouldn’t take too much effort to do. (Would it? I’ve no idea. o_O)

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Why No Guild Alliances?

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

We did have Alliances in GW for many years. As I recall there were 10 guilds that could be in an alliance. The Alliance was usually made up of like-minded guilds and allowed for more social interaction with those you might not otherwise be exposed to.

• The Alliance Chat functionality was quite helpful in organization and functional logistics.
  • It was great for small to medium size guilds too to be able to throw more bodies at a situation which required more people power
  • Group user designated events tended to be hosted in one of the Alliance’s Guild Halls, problem there though is GW2 remains Guild Hall deficient.

I like the thought of an Alliance but as I have heard neither hide nor hair of mention from any ANet individual on the subject, its all just wishful thinking.

Why No Guild Alliances?

Posted by: Amnariel.3659

Amnariel.3659

I just leave this here:Guild Wars

Why No Guild Alliances?

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

i like doing my own thing. when you are in a guild, you have to obey what others want you to do.

Understand, not indicating people have to be in a guild here, just allowing people in cross guilds to coordinate without having to lose their own guild identity.

I like the idea! It wouldn’t take too much effort to do. (Would it? I’ve no idea. o_O)

Fear it wouldn’t be easy if they don’t already have the infrastructure but it would help on a couple of fronts, as well negate some of the impacts of the megaserver change.

I just leave this here:Guild Wars

True on the title. But the enemy of my enemy is my friend, and Wars typically have allies. Also we are not fighting free for alls in WvW currently.

Good hunting!

Edit: Edit dropping text.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

(edited by TheGrimm.5624)

Why No Guild Alliances?

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Alliances aren’t in GW2 because they just haven’t gotten around to that idea yet. Or so I believe. There are plenty of things that they’ve said will be in GW2…. for over 2 years now. ArenaNet is rather slow.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Why No Guild Alliances?

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Why No Guild Alliances? Because, guild wars are not allowed in GUILD WARS 2.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Why No Guild Alliances?

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

We did have Alliances in GW for many years. As I recall there were 10 guilds that could be in an alliance. The Alliance was usually made up of like-minded guilds and allowed for more social interaction with those you might not otherwise be exposed to.

• The Alliance Chat functionality was quite helpful in organization and functional logistics.
  • It was great for small to medium size guilds too to be able to throw more bodies at a situation which required more people power
  • Group user designated events tended to be hosted in one of the Alliance’s Guild Halls, problem there though is GW2 remains Guild Hall deficient.

I like the thought of an Alliance but as I have heard neither hide nor hair of mention from any ANet individual on the subject, its all just wishful thinking.

There should not have been guild alliances in GW1 – too many were cross faction which really did cause issues with the game (LAZY was one of the biggest).

Currently, GW2 is server based. Some guilds are already cross-server and Guilds are supposed to be server-based (consider it a Faction).

Why No Guild Alliances?

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

If Guild Alliances are introduced in GW2, I think they should be server restricted. But that’s my take on it.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Why No Guild Alliances?

Posted by: AnAspieKitten.5732

AnAspieKitten.5732

Excepted that guilds will be cross server soon enough. Source is the megaserver announcement post itself.

Dear Santa,
For christmas I’d like to get a crossbow for my characters.
With love, a cute kitty.

Why No Guild Alliances?

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

There should not have been guild alliances in GW1 – too many were cross faction which really did cause issues with the game (LAZY was one of the biggest).

Currently, GW2 is server based. Some guilds are already cross-server and Guilds are supposed to be server-based (consider it a Faction).

Whether there Should or Should Not have been Alliances in GW1 is certainly not for me to say. I am just stating the fact that there Was Alliances in the first game as a point of reference.

I’m not sure what you mean by:

too many were cross faction which really did cause issues with the game

Alliances could either be Luxon or Kurzick, you could not be cross faction.

“New alliances may only be formed by a guild leader who has access to the Guild Wars Factions campaign and has pledged his allegiance to either the Kurzick or Luxon factions.”
Source: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Alliance

You state:

Currently, GW2 is server based.

I must respectfully disagree. GW2 is Mega-Server based(at least in PvE). and as you said:

Some guilds are already cross-server

Now I admit that WvW could be considered server based but as I only do PvE I can not speak intelligently on how an Alliance would effect that part of the game.

And finely

and Guilds are supposed to be server-based (consider it a Faction).

With the fact that Guilds are indeed Cross-Server currently and have been that way since launch. I am not sure I understand how they are supposed to be server-based. This seems like a non sequitur to me.

Why No Guild Alliances?

Posted by: Malganis.7468

Malganis.7468

I have no idea why there are not alliances like in GW1. I’ve been waiting for guild alliances, alliance chat, and guild halls since the game was released 2 years ago.

Legion of Honour [XIII]: http://operationunion.enjin.com/home
Tarnished Coast