Why No Official Google+ Group?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Espionage.3685

Espionage.3685

I just gave https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-social-media-side-of-guild-wars-2/ a read and thought it was pretty cool.

I know a lot of people use Facebook and Twitter and all, but I happen to primarily only use Google+ for my social network.

Is there anyone else who would enjoy seeing an official G+ group page?

Posted by: Chorel.1720

Chorel.1720

Because nobody uses Google+. You never heard anything about it. Facebook is the behemoth.

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

I still wonder why they are doing more socializing on other sites than their own. I don’t frequent Facebook or Reddit and even though I’m on these forums at least 5 days out of the week, I have yet to hear of any news here first.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Isn’t Google + content only seen by friends and subscribers?

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: KingClash.3186

KingClash.3186

I still wonder why they are doing more socializing on other sites than their own. I don’t frequent Facebook or Reddit and even though I’m on these forums at least 5 days out of the week, I have yet to hear of any news here first.

Quoted for truth.

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

Facebook will be releasing video ads in their live feed.

This doesnt mean anything to the andriod/firefox users. But it’ll be a turn off from apple users.

Anyone actually using FB anymore, other than to communicate with people who dont have cellphones?

Posted by: Avelos.6798

Avelos.6798

Because Google+ sucks.

Posted by: Gmr Leon.1846

Gmr Leon.1846

Because nobody uses Google+. You never heard anything about it. Facebook is the behemoth.

A common falsity, at least in regards to its not being used. The U.S. government has used it, semi-popular comedians (Conan O’Brien) [I don’t keep up with comedians, I have no idea how popular he is] have, NASA and astronauts have used it, and so on.

How is that different from Facebook, exactly? You only see the stuff from ArenaNet in your news feed if you subscribe (like) their page, or check their page frequently. Which is essentially the same as on Twitter and G+. It is true that G+ has tighter privacy controls allowing content to be disseminated between groups of friends without it being easily visible to outsiders, but media and brand pages don’t use them (except for who they circle back), for obvious reasons.

E.g.
Battlefield
PlanetSide 2
Watch Dogs
Assassin’s Creed

Grydd, asuran engineer perpetually gathering materials.
Member of The Archivists’ Sanctum [Lore], a guild for lore enthusiasts.
The Adventurer’s Log!

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

Because nobody uses Google+.

That.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Espionage.3685

Because nobody uses Google+…

We know this isn’t true at all.

Nope; I’m able to link stuff from G+ (if the poster’s privacy settings allow for it of course) to non-G+ users.

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

For the same reason they don’t use MySpace I imagine.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

This one. Companies like Anet don’t use twitter and facebook just because they like them, that’s why we use them (well, some people, I do read twitter but I don’t think I’ve logged to my facebook in over a year other than to like GW2 once), they use it because it increases their visibility a LOT. Anytime you like or share something related to GW2, all your friends see it on their timeline, even if they wouldn’t even know what GW2 is, which is what anet wants, to increase brand awareness and get more people looking at GW2, even if it’s by passing, same with twitter.

And yes, they could do the same with their website (to an extent, they do)… but things on the website only serve as information for those already interested in GW2, which is why they also do interviews and exclusive content for other sites (reddit, mmorpg.com, facebook, etc), because it also reaches those that might not know or be interested in GW2 in the first place.

And which is why they don’t use google+, the effort isn’t worth the results until it becomes MUCH more popular than it is (same with myspace, diaspora, and a great number of other social network services that haven’t reached and most likely never reach the critical mass facebook and twitter have at the moment).

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

(edited by locoman.1974)

Posted by: Khai.6435

Khai.6435

Sorry, but google+ blows away facebook in not only functionality but in various toolsets.

You can talk about various topics selectively without having to share it with those who don’t give a kitten . I have my gaming circles and my family circles and the two never cross topics and get spammed.

I never get “please help me in gemmania” crap advertisements; hell I get zero ads.

Facebook is quickly becoming myspace for the uninformed.

Posted by: PSX.9250

PSX.9250

^This!

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

Their facebook site IS one of their sites.

They don’t post that often on Reddit, usually that’s just fans linking to news sites if there’s any info linked there.

As for the other sites, they either post what is talked about in a day or two, or generally link to it right away if it’s an exclusive interview or some such. They do that kind of thing to increase exposure.

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

It’s a bit silly, there’s plenty of us who use G+ only and don’t have a FB account.

downed state is bad for PVP

Espionage.3685

And which is why they don’t use google+, the effort isn’t worth the results until it becomes MUCH more popular than it is (same with myspace, diaspora, and a great number of other social network services that haven’t reached and most likely never reach the critical mass facebook and twitter have at the moment).

There is very little effort needed though imo. In-short, Anet could just copy/paste whatever they post on their FB page, right onto G+. The only real effort is the few-minute process of setting up a page.

As for MySpace and Diaspora, I have no hard facts or anything, but surely Google+ has more users than both of those platforms. I’m also pretty sure that Google+ is referenced as a social network a lot more than those two platforms (I personally have never even heard of Diaspora). Not saying that those two platforms should never get an official GW2 page, but I believe G+ should have priority over them.

As for people not using G+: http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykosner/2013/01/26/watch-out-facebook-with-google-at-2-and-youtube-at-3-google-inc-could-catch-up/

Which is showing G+ even ahead of Twitter (at the time of writing). If this still holds true, then the reason of “nobody uses it” goes out the window, since Twitter has an official page.

I’m not trying to start a war about social networks or anything like that, I just really would like to see G+ have an official GW2 page is all, and think it would be pretty viable.

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

Let me just quote this a third time because really.

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

- Because they have your money already. They want to see you ‘like’ Guild Wars 2 and ArenaNet on your Facebook page so that there’s a chance your non-GW2 playing friends will get inspired to purchase Guild Wars 2. That’s how the business model of social media works.

Espionage.3685

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

Christ that site looks like kitten. Is there any way to get rid of that three-column view and just see the posts one after another in chronological order?

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~