Why Orr brings out the worst in the "community"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Polantaris.9513

Polantaris.9513

I remember doing a Champion with two random people in Malchor’s. During the 15 minute or so fight, about 10 people passed us and dropped their mob on us simply to get to the Ori Vein nearby. These mobs included a ton of hammer and pull mobs, as well as Veteran Abominations and the like.

In the end, we died, while the Champion had so little health left that his health bar wasn’t visible at all anymore. There was no red left. Needless to say I called out everyone who passed us by name in Map chat. Surprisingly, a lot of people were on my side saying that it was ridiculous that so many people did that. Seriously…what the hell.

I do not doubt for a second that Orr brings out the worst in people due to it’s terrible mobs.

Posted by: douceline.2741

douceline.2741

Don’t really get how people have such issues with Orr? I went there for my first time this weekend as a lvl 80 and it was super challenging, but not frustratingly so (at least, not Clocktower-levels of frustration for me!) I was running with a lvl 70 player and we died a bit but mostly did alright. The events are really challenging, though. And certain areas are FULL of bots.

Dunno, maybe it’s just my server or something, but it has been pretty cool there so far. Not a lot of whiners.

Though I am getting super tired of seeing risen! I’d like something different thrown at me now, please. (Though I admit, I appreciated the risen chickens, they made me laugh…right before they slaughtered me.)

douceline.2741

I remember doing a Champion with two random people in Malchor’s. During the 15 minute or so fight, about 10 people passed us and dropped their mob on us simply to get to the Ori Vein nearby. These mobs included a ton of hammer and pull mobs, as well as Veteran Abominations and the like.

In the end, we died, while the Champion had so little health left that his health bar wasn’t visible at all anymore. There was no red left. Needless to say I called out everyone who passed us by name in Map chat. Surprisingly, a lot of people were on my side saying that it was ridiculous that so many people did that. Seriously…what the hell.

I do not doubt for a second that Orr brings out the worst in people due to it’s terrible mobs.

That is really, really crappy. I had similar stuff in Mad King’s Labyrinth and other mob-heavy areas, where people just show up to an event, kill one or two to get the karma reward, and then bugger off and leave two or three of us to be slaughtered by the horde. Wouldn’t surprise me that the same kind of jerky behaviour happens in these areas. I hate that kind of BS.

Despair not! Some of us are cool team players!

Posted by: Veldan.4637

Veldan.4637

Is Orr annoying? Yes. Difficult? No.

I dunno what some people in this thread are doing wrong, but when I pull 5 Risen by accident I can still kill them all with glass cannon spec. The only bothersome thing is the high spawn rates and the high number of mobs, meaning you need to kill a hundred mobs everytime you want to run to a resouce node / DE / any place at all.

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

Because unlike other maps. Orr is a Warzone type map where progress in there can only be obtained by working on the events there to help the Pact claim more bases of operations. If no one is there to help with the events to claim more bases for the Pact to use then it will be a nightmare.

Posted by: Phaius.4698

Phaius.4698

I honestly think no matter where you go, people are still going to be jerks. Not that I’m excusing that behavior, and neither does that mean Orr couldn’t use a rework so people aren’t training lots of mobs as they run through but it just seems inevitable as people think “NOT HERE TO FIGHT, HERE TO MINE/GATHER/CHOP WOOD”

Either way, I haven’t had really bad experiences with this kind of stuff on Isle of Janthir. If I happen to train a mob on someone (usually when hitting stealth to try to shake it and it happens near someone else), it’s really unintentional, and I turn around and fight it because it’s just not right to leave a mess for someone else to clean up. I do try to avoid doing that though.

I actually enjoy helping people out with mobs when it’s clear they need the help, or they’ve pulled multiple mobs upon themselves. I especially enjoy helping out around skill points if I’m near it because I realize how much of a PITA they can be without someone to help out.

Posted by: Basharic.1654

Basharic.1654

The people I’ve met and talked to are great. The worst I’ve seen out of Maguuma’s community is moving NPCs around in LA, some general kittening about Orr, and laziness at doing much else than the Plinx run in CS.

Every person I’ve seen so far that accidentally trained mobs has done the right thing. I’ve helped and been helped I don’t know how many times. It’s led to some epic fun.

Orr is savage and brutal and the zone design reflects it. I love it.

douceline.2741

The people I’ve met and talked to are great. The worst I’ve seen out of Maguuma’s community is moving NPCs around in LA, some general kittening about Orr, and laziness at doing much else than the Plinx run in CS.

Every person I’ve seen so far that accidentally trained mobs has done the right thing. I’ve helped and been helped I don’t know how many times. It’s led to some epic fun.

Orr is savage and brutal and the zone design reflects it. I love it.

Not to mention that the artwork is incredible. I’ve nearly died a few times by just standing around and admiring the scenery and not noticing the massive freaking crowd of risen creeping up behind me.

I’ve only spent a scant few hours in the Orr areas but man, I am at work and itching for quittin’ time so I can get back to it. It is raw and brutal and brilliant.

Posted by: DeathMetal.8264

DeathMetal.8264

I find Orr (Cursed Shore specifically) fine. I am a newcomer to GW2, never played GW1, and not a pro. I use a Thief with a measly 15k HP with Lv78 Exotic Armor/Lv80 Exotic Dual Dagger on full Traveller Rune for MF.

My first time at Orr is actually interesting, a little tough but that goes the same way for every map I am new at: mainly because I am not familiar with the place.

So my point is, it’s not just Orr, it’s all “new” maps.

I understand that there’s a mention of players “ignoring” other players, but I don’t really ignore people. Often times, I asked players if they are “on” before reviving, specially in Orr, because if they are AFK, “my help” only made the situation worst because the character might die again and have to pay more for repairs. Other people thinks this way too…

Also, in the heat of farming, if someone is down, oftentimes I don’t notice them (and most probably, other players are very busy to notice as well). And when I do, I try (and I see others too) to help. Say for example, Champ Abomination at Caer WP after Plinx has successfully reached the fort. If you don’t watch your HP or the action, you’ll end up down more than usual.

And this is Orr, players are expected to have l2p. Sure, there are always newbie, but players should act like their level, i.e. if they don’t know the place, learn the place; if they don’t know the enemy, learn the enemy; if they can’t beat something (event/mob/etc), call for help; if no help comes, do something else; if you die/down and nobody helps, shrug it off and remind yourself not to get in that trouble again. In the end, you are making yourself improve for the better…

Lv80 Thief |Mesmer |Necromancer|Ranger|Guardian|Warrior|Elementalist|Engineer
[Aeon of Wonder]
Maguuma Server

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

And this is Orr, players are expected to have l2p. Sure, there are always newbie, but players should act like their level, i.e. if they don’t know the place, learn the place; if they don’t know the enemy, learn the enemy; if they can’t beat something (event/mob/etc), call for help; if no help comes, do something else; if you die/down and nobody helps, shrug it off and remind yourself not to get in that trouble again. In the end, you are making yourself improve for the better…

If you do know the area and still know how to play and you still die by bad luck and no one still comes when you ask, then they are an kitten plain and simple. This is what I usually deal with.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: cargan.5689

cargan.5689

Put people in a hot room with little room to move, they get cranky and on edge. Put people in a tightly packed store with things and others bumping into them constantly, they get annoyed.
This is human nature; and Orr pushes those buttons.

At least, that’s how I see it.

Humans are reverse Skritt, the more Skritt there are the smarter they get, the more people there are the dumber they get, fact of life nothing is going to change it.

Ulfar SOR

Posted by: omerk.2709

omerk.2709

Shooopa, I took your advice yesterday and aimed at 15 attempts to see if it’s still funny.
I now got (slightly ) better gear, no change to my traits, and I tried again heading to Arah.
On my first attempt I made it till 1 waypoint away from the instance entrance, with no help at all from other players who weren’t spread all over the map, so no one was taking the mobs’ attention.
I did get knocked down and died not too far from the instance, but the attempt to use more defensive and projectile rejecting approach worked.

Now as for your: “What you “L2P” idiots…”.
If you want to swear that’s fine, but I’d like to see you do it in my face.
I tried to give advice from my experience.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I love Orr- seriously I do and I think it is very well designed.
As others have said it is a war zone and you have to push the army into Orr.
It is great for team work and on my server it is a blast.

Just last night my husband and I tried for a hard vista. When we got there, there were 4 others, one player saw I was having a difficult time and asked if I wanted a portal.
After we got the vista we were leaving we saw a lone soul stuck half way to the top. we spent half an hour getting that player up the vista and to the chest.

Later we were trying to sneak to the last waypoint only there was a champion giant in the way- so while we are debating on what to do this little Asura comes rushing past trailing mobs, runs straight into the giant and runs back to us. We just turned, bit the bullet and charged the Giant. The little Asura turned around to help us kill the giant, adds and mob train and then we all made it to the waypoint.

When we bit off too much to chew just us two taking the Eye. we got ressed by a kindhearted guardian just legging it past. We yelled run! and all three of us made it to safety, did some skill points, Lyssa, vistas etc together until we logged off.
I have many more war stories of Orr
It is one of my favourite zones in the game.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

That’s because Orr sucks period. No one likes it, they’re only there because that’s where you have to go to get level 80 things.

I second this. I prefer just about any area in the game over Orr. The constant pulls and otherwise annoying enemies are just well…

…too annoying.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Ok so I saved Cursed Shore for last and had been there to get a few WPs, but like your least favourite vegetable on your dinner plate, I pushed it around the plate and poked at it with a fork, dawdling to get to it, and ultimately saving it as the last thing I had to do …

I went into the area with a feeling of dread because of having read so much negative feedback on the forums about Orr, etc … but y’know what? It wasn’t so bad. If I didn’t try to zerg my way through everything, used a bit of strategy, it was pretty much like any other zone I’d been in prior. And I completed at a leisurely pace in one day, did a little jig, then went off in search of my next adventure (and this is on an Ele, a class that has been complained about as being too weak — a debate for another thread as I don’t find this true at all).

I suspect a lot of the bad attitude about Orr has to do with the hype we give it here on the forums — that spreads into the game. I’m not saying it’s easy. It’s not. I’m not saying a billion superhumanly fast dead guys isn’t a pain in the you know what sometimes, but I am saying that it isn’t impossible.

What I suggest is that true, there are some griefers out there that will train mobs on purpose, but there are also people new to the zone that are just flat-out panicking and running with a choo choo train of walking dead hot on their heels — save them. As for the ones that drag the mob to you, there’s a very real chance they’re running to you for help. So help them (if you can). If you can’t and it’s too many mobs, hightail it out of there as fast as you can! See if you can become a competitor in the next Tyrian Olympics!

L’enfer, c’est les autres

(edited by Jayne.9251)

Posted by: omerk.2709

omerk.2709

@Jayne, the only problem with Orr is that the previous areas are just too easy.
While in any other area, you can just stand near a bunch of people doing stuff, and you’ll get your credit.
In Orr, you actually have to move in order to live for the most part, though I found many locations where you can relax for a bit and no one will attack you.

It’s dynamic, it’s challenging with inferior gear, and if you’re part of a group, I found this dynamics to be an advantage for a few reasons:
1. it’s not boring. you don’t have to walk a lot in order to get to the next big fight. In fact, at times, the orange circles of 2 group event mobs will overlap.
2. if you’re aiming at completing challenges, it forces you to teamplay which will be much appreciated when farming dungeons.
3. dynamic multiple events being taken on at a rapid sequence mean fast gear improvement and fast money for the newly level 80 char.

One more thing. Reading a forum review is like reading a movie review. The fact that a critic liked or disliked a movie, doesn’t mean you will as well.
Try for yourself.

Posted by: phooka.4295

phooka.4295

Well written indeed, OP.

However, if you want to play this way, it’s your own fault. Sure, I might not get help every time I need it. But quite often, I do. And most of all: I do help others whenever I feel it’s needed. Why? Because it makes me feel good.

When I’m in Orr on my warrior, there’s little I have to fear (being a warrior). When I see some poor necro (or similar squishy profession) fighting I quickly hover my mouse over his name to check if the player has more health left than the mob. If he does, I’ll continue on my way. If it looks like the poor guy playing a currently underpowered class could need help, I’ll quickly charge in and 100b the mob to death. Doesn’t cost me a thing, takes a few seconds and is quite a gratifying thing to do.

When I see downed players on the map nearby, I go there to help. Most of the time they rally before I even arrive. So? Cost me ten seconds of a detour. Still feels good to know that I’ve been there should my help have been needed.

I do this for them but also for myself. It’s not wasted just because someone else might run past me if I’m in trouble.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Is Orr annoying? Yes. Difficult? No.

I dunno what some people in this thread are doing wrong, but when I pull 5 Risen by accident I can still kill them all with glass cannon spec. The only bothersome thing is the high spawn rates and the high number of mobs, meaning you need to kill a hundred mobs everytime you want to run to a resouce node / DE / any place at all.

Same. I kill packs of risen easily. I think people take this backwards. Do not do Orr in green gear … it costs less than a single gold at TP prices to have full yellow crafted by a guildie. Ten gold will get you max dmg weapons. For 180 AC tokens = 1 day you have an exotic in head, hands or feet so three good days you can be mostly exotic geared + full yellow on the rest. That will make life far more easy. Imho also avoid MF gear since killing faster and surviving has exactly the same effect with less trouble.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: hydeaut.1758

hydeaut.1758

I dare say, if players have a hard time surviving, then they might, just might, try working together.

I dare say, if Anet makes Orr harder I would do the same like most of my guild-mates already did: quit GW2 and play games which are less annoying.

Concerning reviving other players: if possible take a look whom you revive. It´s bad, seeing groups of bots running around, it´s worse seeing how they are revived when they sometimes are downed.

(edited by hydeaut.1758)

Posted by: Stenc.1394

Stenc.1394

Let’s be honest, Orr is a farming place. And since it’s place for farm, it has to be quick and efficient. That’s why people run around with trains and don’t care for anyone besides them.
It happens to me numerous times in one place. Malchor’s leap low right corner, some 5 trees on one point to chop. I’m dealing with weteran guarding them, a war comes, chops his trees and runs away. Or even better, pulls a train on me, chops his trees and runs away.
I have some new tactics now.
Those are players who run places in regular intervals because they are farming. I remembered some of them, and when I spot them now I always run around, gather a train and run the train on them. It works about 50% that mobs will turn on them, if don’t, turn and repeat. Once I had to follow one across half of Malchors, but eventually mob got him in the end. When he was on the ground I thanked him for his behaviour, told him that I will repeat procedure every time I will come across him and walked away without resing.
When I see someone running with low health and only one or two follow I help. Always.
When I see champ event I stop and help. Always.
When I see someone fight on my way I stop and help. Always. Except if I have my own little train, I try to avoid bring trouble to others.
If I run for my life and there is player on my way i usually run mob on him. I just need some time to regen, then I turn around and finish mob. Usually I apologize and no one is mad on me, because I turn around and fight. And be honest, if one can’t survive 30sec of fighting alone in Orr, he shouldn’t be there.
When I see someone running with train 4 or more mobs I help mobs. Always. I just hate engines in those trains.

Posted by: Steelo.4597

Steelo.4597

Orr is really hard and scary once you arrive there with level 79 and blue / green gear. It becomes very easy as soon as you are yellow / exotics. 2 Exceptions: Veteran Risen Giant and Orr Catapults – keep off those if you want to live.

i fear we will look back to this day and remember the good old wvw as it is now – Jan 2015

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I dare say, if players have a hard time surviving, then they might, just might, try working together.

I dare say, if Anet makes Orr harder I would do the same like most of my guild-mates already did: quit GW2 and play games which are less annoying.

I call bluff for 2 reasons:
- the only reason you claim to leave this game, is because you’re out of arguments so you go to the last one, the money argument. However since the game is f2p this is not an issue. You make this argument because you care and you will stay in the game regardless. The “I’m gonna quit” argument is typical for someone who’ll keep playing. Pulling your guildies in is an unfalsifiable strawman and therefor not a valid argument. Even more to the point, really quitting this game is impossible, coming back is easy and free unlike other MMOs which require the immediate investment of 15 euros. You say your guildies quit, I say they may be taking a break until lost shores, which sounds more reasonable becauseL
- All other MMOs are far more annoying by default than the worst of the worst in GW2. Making money in Queensdale is just as easy. Copper is easily farmed, sells well in vast quantities and the money can be converted into whatever you want.

Concerning reviving other players: if possible take a look whom you revive. It´s bad, seeing groups of bots running around, it´s worse seeing how they are revived when they sometimes are downed.

I haven’t seen a single bot in this game yet let alone bot trains, and I’m actually keeping my eyes open for them considering the vocal minority reporting this “problem”. I did my part in making sure my account is 200% secure with two-factor on both email and gw2 account + unique passwords for both.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Stenc.1394

Stenc.1394

I haven’t seen a single bot in this game yet let alone bot trains, and I’m actually keeping my eyes open for them considering the vocal minority reporting this “problem”. I did my part in making sure my account is 200% secure with two-factor on both email and gw2 account + unique passwords for both.

There is a place on the north where people farm some ice corrupted something. There it was me and 7 others. After 15min I figured out I’m the only one alive, all others were bots. They are easy to spot when you learn how. I reported them and after 2 days they were gone.
I didn’t notice bots in Orr, possible because I’m to busy surviving and fighting, but main reason I think is that bot from north can’t live long enough in Orr so they must have different tactics.

Posted by: CC Meinke.2749

CC Meinke.2749

Community Coordinator

Hello everyone,

several threads were merged into one regarding Orr opinions: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Opinions-about-Orr-merged.

Please continue your discussion there. This thread is closed.

Greetings