Why Still No First Person View?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

Anet, you have a gorgeous game, and I want to see it! It’s frustrating having to pan around your toon just to get a good view at your surroundings. We could barely even see the toxic tower from the ground, or the queens pavilion, or the zephyr sanctum. Not to mention any large world boss.

Before you make any more amazing content that is gorgeous to look it, please implement an ability for us to actually look at it properly! It’s a feature in most MMOs now days and can’t possible be this hard to implement.

Fix now please! I want to see Tyria!

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

Because it doesn’t make money.

Posted by: Nikasaur.4713

Nikasaur.4713

+ 100000 This is only reason I’m considering switching to elder scrolls on release. I love the immersion of 1st person. Seeing other characters faces and armor, noticing what creatures I am actually killing, and of course the scenery. Looking up at the sky, entering a huge building. You don’t see anything in 3rd person but the ground.

Posted by: papryk.6273

papryk.6273

Because it doesn’t make money.

man…stop giving them such ideas….
soon in gem shop FPP mode for 800 gems!!!!

or maybe it’s just too complicated for their programmers to do it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9aHfg5U0Rw

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

This would be great for my screenshots folder +1

Posted by: Kindeller.3072

Kindeller.3072

There are mods out there that can adjust the FOV and open up the option for first person view. Unfortunately I’m not entirely sure of their legitimacy and Anets stance on their use, last I checked they where not approved but not ban-able either. So it’s possible to do yourself, but you run the risk of coming against some problems using such mods.

If anything however it proves its quite easy to implement should people want to.

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

They said it breaks immersion, in the past. Which is why they won’t add it

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

Posted by: Allanon.9072

Allanon.9072

Anet, you have a gorgeous game, and I want to see it! It’s frustrating having to pan around your toon just to get a good view at your surroundings. We could barely even see the toxic tower from the ground, or the queens pavilion, or the zephyr sanctum. Not to mention any large world boss.

Before you make any more amazing content that is gorgeous to look it, please implement an ability for us to actually look at it properly! It’s a feature in most MMOs now days and can’t possible be this hard to implement.

Lol if you want first person view go and play shooter games or simulation games not mmos .

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Lol if you want first person view go and play shooter games or simulation games not mmos .

Huh, Guild Wars 1 had a first person view, so I think it’s quite normal for people to wonder why it was removed in Guild Wars 2.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

I don’t see a problem with giving people tunnel vision. Will just make killing them in WvW that much easier because they see half of what we do

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

I tried out first person view on GW2. It was fun to do once, but I prefer 3rd person so I can see more of the battlefield. melee battle was very confusing. being an asura, it actually had the camera at my character’s head level, so looking straight ahead I was seeing a lot of crotches.
you might be asking how I tried it: in the beta for edge of the mists, there was a first person view checkbox under ‘developer’ in the options panel.

Posted by: Ghostextechnica.3270

Ghostextechnica.3270

I agree it would be nice.

I don’t actually want to play in first person view, but just look at stuff.

Right now if I see an interesting character, I need to run past them and position myself way behind them so my camera is able to see them properly.

It’s pretty silly and THAT really breaks immersion.

When I get that feeling I want… spectral healing.

Posted by: Rynn.1324

Rynn.1324

Newsflash: MMORPGs ARE simulation games. At their core they’re virtual world simulators….or at least that was the original concept. I can understand how that idea might have been lost as they’ve transitioned to an almost lobby-like environment.

But on topic, yes, first-person mode absolutely needs to be added. Bonus brownie points if they incorporate body-awareness (being able to see your feet, weapon being held, etc).

[Tarnished Coast] Lizzibeth Huffles, Asuran Genius (Engineer) at Play

(edited by Rynn.1324)

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

For screenshots: Buy the infinite potion that transforms you into an air elemental! It costs just a couble of silver and when full zoomed in, it’s too small to be in your picture!

Have a nice day

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

Posted by: Miss Sugarific.8471

Miss Sugarific.8471

Funny I’m reading this post now, as today I was inwardly muttering that the most I see of this game is the ground… The thing is, I can’t place my finger on whether it’s me being weird, or if the camera angles are off, considering I don’t have this problem in other games.

But I’m aware Anet has a tendency to put clues, objects and beautiful scenery higher than I usually look, so I stop once in a while and scan my surroundings.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I would pay gems for a 1st person mode, even if it was just zooming all the way into the character.

The GW1 team figured out how to do it… wonder why the GW2 team can’t? >_>

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

lol MMOs have had first person modes since the days of Everquest back in 1997. Finding one that isn’t top down and DOESN’T have FP mode is quite rare, in fact.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

er… every other 3d mmo has first person , you can’t see your hands but the camera always goes all the way in.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

Bumping the thread…

Posted by: Desmoulins.3517

Desmoulins.3517

You all just seem to play non-charr races. Charrs have their camera lifted up alot while all human and asura characters have a drastically lowered camera position.

Not sure if you’re just playing wrong but i never see my camera on the ground.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmZ8nD6P2-s

Posted by: Mochann.5298

Mochann.5298

+ 100000 This is only reason I’m considering switching to elder scrolls on release. I love the immersion of 1st person. Seeing other characters faces and armor, noticing what creatures I am actually killing, and of course the scenery. Looking up at the sky, entering a huge building. You don’t see anything in 3rd person but the ground.

Elder Scolls Online is third person only. Which is why I am skipping it.

Seriously why must MMORPG makers always opt for third person? It’s kittened.

#ELEtism on Eredon Terrace

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Um, where did you get such inaccurate information?

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: RedCobra.7693

RedCobra.7693

Um, where did you get such inaccurate information?

lmao tell me about it, elderscrolls’ foundational aspect is based on first person, its what set is apart back when arena was released oh the memories

RedCobra – Ranked PVP Druid
Current Season – Platinum (Soloq)
Retired GW2 ESL Tournament Admin

Posted by: Frenk the Vile.2596

Frenk the Vile.2596

It’s not .

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

lol looks like someone failed to get a beta key

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: X The Manimal.5293

X The Manimal.5293

FOV slider, increased camera distance, and a First Person mode would make this game enjoyable again for me. I can’t stand it as it is now. It pains me because I love this game, but feeling like I’m staring at the ground most of the time kind of defeats the purpose of an immersive game world for me.

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

What breaks immersion for me is being in a crowd, not being able to see the person I am talking too, because I seem to be talking to the inside of the head of the person standing behind me.
>/

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

Posted by: Trashman.8596

Trashman.8596

lol looks like someone failed to get a beta key

Forget the beta key, it was shown to have a first person mode months ago. Always so much misinformation.

Venkas
Ehmry Bay/Haven Community
A Commander sometimes

Posted by: Dragonic Elemental.2674

Dragonic Elemental.2674

+1
I’ve wanted first-person mode since the beginning of gw2, just to look at the scenery. It would definitely get everyone MORE immersed. And it’d be an OPTION, so anyone against the idea could just not zoom in.

Do it Anet.

May the Six watch over us. And come back to Tyria soon.

X The Manimal.5293

There’s no reason to me not to give players more options. Especially when other MMOs have them and they work just fine.

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

I’m pretty sure wonky camera control is one of their ways of making gw2 nee and different. I mean, isn’t it super exiting doing jumping puzzles with a camera that constantly zooms in so you can’t see what you’re doing?

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

Posted by: nethykins.7986

nethykins.7986

Apparently because “Exploits”

:S

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

I’m not a big fan of first person view because I’m not all that keyed into immersion, but that’s an incredibly stupid comment from ANet if someone there actually said it. First person view would be the ultimate in immersion … that’s how we all see the world in real life!

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

This needs to happen

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: LetJuneDecide.6987

LetJuneDecide.6987

I agree – this totally needs to happen.

Being a rabid screen-shot taker (I had several thousand screenshots each for some past games), I would love to be able to take screenies easier than having to /sleep and try to navigate around a fixed pov.

Posted by: Wubdor.5190

Wubdor.5190

That is the exact opposite of what first person does.
It brings immersion.

The fact that this still isn’t in the game is beyond me.

In the Edge of the Mists beta, there is an option to go First Person View under ‘Developer’. This needs to get into the final game. Everything is there, it works in the beta. Please release it in the actual game for us. There is literally no reason for it not being in the game yet, and if there is, at least give us the reason (a good one). Don’t leave us in the dark, Arenanet. It’s becoming highly frustrating. We’re not some mindless grinders like many MMORPGs want us to be. Give the people some quality of life options.

(edited by Wubdor.5190)

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

First Person View would be amazing. People have asked for it since closed beta.

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Add me to the list who wants 1st-person view capability.

It’s not that I would normally use it, it’s just that there are some situations where 3rd-person is a huge (“immersion-breaking”) liability, and a feeble left-right slider doesn’t cut it.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

I really should of taken video :P would of satisfied people’s need to see it. hmmm, maybe someone else did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erueZq-QrhUa
anyways, it’s a design choice of theirs.
I would never run around with FPV, but it is certainly handy for scenery shots and jumping puzzles. I would like the option to easily switch into and out of it.

Posted by: Nyraxx The Necromancer.1728

Nyraxx The Necromancer.1728

people were not ready for gw2, you want to play the game in this manifesto? i will tell you how. the legendaries etc. are purely cosmetic, the stats are easy to obtain. now, close your map, dont open it, you do not know where you are, you are in a brand new world, explore, what do you find. that is how you play, ignore the map, we are so used to grinding that even in gw2 we wish to grind to look cool, we dont care at all about fun when we started gw2, we kept the map closed, then we saw someone looking awesome, and we began the grind, we broke our promise, gw2 did not break theirs

um actually i can go in first person, take your mouse wheel and zoom in all the way. hold the right mouse button and move it around to adjust your angle, and bam! you have first person essentially plus you get to see your armor

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

I would guess its because it just wouldn’t work very well.

I can guarantee you that anyone slightly competitive in the PvP scene at ESO will use the third person view. The devs even admitted themselves that people probably will to get a better sense of awareness of their surroundings.

Over in GW2, you’ll barely be able to function in first person view. How would you dodge AoE circles for a start? It would be fine for one or two of them, but for stuff like Lupi, it would be a nightmare. How would stuff like rolling and Whirling Wrath even work on a first person view?

It would just be really awkward because the game wasn’t made to be played in first person view.

Posted by: Wubdor.5190

Wubdor.5190

I would guess its because it just wouldn’t work very well.

I can guarantee you that anyone slightly competitive in the PvP scene at ESO will use the third person view. The devs even admitted themselves that people probably will to get a better sense of awareness of their surroundings.

Over in GW2, you’ll barely be able to function in first person view. How would you dodge AoE circles for a start? It would be fine for one or two of them, but for stuff like Lupi, it would be a nightmare. How would stuff like rolling and Whirling Wrath even work on a first person view?

It would just be really awkward because the game wasn’t made to be played in first person view.

It’s not about doing PvP or PvE in First Person. No one in their right mind would do that. I’ve been an MMO player for over 10 years, and I would never use it like that. I still want this to be in the game. Why? Videos, screenshots, scenery, immersion. There is literally no reason for it not to be in the game, as it doesn’t give anyone an advantage. It’s a quality of life thing. The whole practical thing is irrelevant.
And it’s also not that they don’t know how to do it. It’s already in the Edge of the Mists Beta, under the Developer options.

Posted by: JCROY.5730

JCROY.5730

I tried this view during the beta of Edge of the Mists..though it is actually the most realistic way of playing, I prefer having an overview of my surroundings

“see cow, grab bundle, feed cow?”

Nikasaur.4713

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m into immersion and I dislike first person point of view. Often I see myself in dreams, but I’m immersed in my dreams. When I read a novel, I’m immersed in the novel, even though I can’t see anything.

I get immersed in movies all the time and I can see the main character.

Immersion doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with PoV.

Which doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be in the game. I think first person should be in the game, if for no other reason than it will make taking screenshots that much easier.

Nikasaur.4713

really silly comment. I’ve played mmorpgs from the beginning. Meridian 59, everquest and other 3d mmorpg / rpg were 1st person or allowed functional first person. It is the most realistic form of play , and closest to actually being your character.

X The Manimal.5293

I’ve run into multiple instances of me trying to see something magnificent in this game (as there are MANY great sights to see) only to feel like my character was more of an annoyance then a part of me. Some people are posting about their own preference being NOT to play in first person view, but would adding it HURT their experience? I think not. It would just give the rest of us more options to enjoy the game. Also, I really think the camera distance should be increased. These are quality of life items that need to at least be commented on by DEVs so we know where they stand on them now.

Posted by: Fozzik.1742

Fozzik.1742

We’ve been asking for it since years before the game’s release. At one point, Anet said they were working on it…but I’m pretty sure it’s probably been left on the back-back burner.

It would be fantastic to have. I hope they do it someday.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

really silly comment. I’ve played mmorpgs from the beginning. Meridian 59, everquest and other 3d mmorpg / rpg were 1st person or allowed functional first person. It is the most realistic form of play , and closest to actually being your character.

Just because you don’t agree with a comment, doesn’t make it silly. First person RPGs came much later in the game than third person and overhead view ones. If you were playing RPGs before Dungeon Master 3d first person didn’t exist at all.

Are you saying the imaginative powers of us older RPers are somehow greater than the younger generation of RPers.

Posted by: Prey.7218

Prey.7218

There is a first person view already… bur only in the alpha build of eotm.
(For those who didn’t know: pressing F11, scroll down to “developer options”)

The camera is in the head then and no arms or weapons are shown. You see all effects and the size is correct too; standing “under” an omge as asura was awesome btw
Fighting as an D/D ele is really cool cause you get really “movement sick” after a while.

The other camera option was “duell camera”….
It’s just the normal 3th person view but your opponent will always be in your view. This way you can keep fighting while ignoring the camera movement (cause the game is doing this for you).