Why a precursor scavenger hunt?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Riselight.3695

Riselight.3695

I don’t see why there is need for a Scavenger Hunt, a better way to award players with a precursor is already in game: The Personal Story. Atm, the ultimate reward, the Pact Victory Token, is crap. You can trade it for a rare (what doesn’t makes sense because the Pact Victory Token is Legendary) with a crappy skin. I felt so disappointed, and seeing all these posts about a Precursor Scavenger Hunt, I was thinking…

Why not replace the crappy rare skins for the Pact Victory Token with Precursors?

I mean, Personal Story really isn’t done in 5 minutes. It’s something that you carry with you from Level 1 to 80.

Riselight [WvW] – Elementalist
Smough The Cruel [WvW] – Warrior

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Because legendaries are end game, BIS items and personal story isn’t really all that hard?

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: ShinraGuardian.8053

ShinraGuardian.8053

Let me put this in terms of the Jedi.

If the ways of the jedi were easy, there would be hundreds of them instead of dozens.

If getting a precursor was easy, there would be hundreds of legendaries instead of dozens.

Dragonbrand
Elementalist
The Dragonfly Effect [Phi]

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Because if you have one you will quit wanting one.

Just to avoid the infraction for inflammatory comment. The idea behind rare precursors/legendary weapons is to give people something to want so they keep logging in every day and playing the game.

Having someone drop 600 rare greatswords into the mystic forge and not get a precursor isn’t a failure. It’s a resounding success. Because someone wants the precursor enough and plays the game enough that they threw away 600 rare greatswords.

As long as people feel like to goal is just out of reach they will continue to play the game.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

(edited by TooBz.3065)

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Precursors are both in an annoying and good state, in my opinion. While it’s good that they are somewhat costy and not available instantly, it’s still quite annoying that you have to rely on luck to get one.

The only reward system I can think at the moment is that you must reach a certain amount of achievements and then you can choose your precursor.

Like, you must have Dungeon Master title, you must’ve completed the whole Personal Story, you must have one of the PvP titles (like Champion Paragon,Champion, Magus Champion Shadow, etc) and have 100% Map completion.

But of course, people would whine kittenloads with ‘’Why do I have to do PvP for my PvE weapon’’

The WvWvW Map completion whine is already enough :P

Posted by: Hoyvin.3241

Hoyvin.3241

OP isn’t really talking about the legendary, just the precursor. I’m leaning towards agreeing on the difficulty to get the desired precursor. I’m not sure giving out precursors at the end of your personal story is the right way to go, but making it easier than an RNG crapshoot or grinding for gold.

Last night, a guildie got an RNG precursor from CoE. It was the focus. We’re a small guild, but have been playing steadily since launch. This was the first RNG precursor drop for any of us. Granted, it’s a 7 person guild, and I’m not asking them to fling them around like they’re candy, but I would think it should be easier to get your desired precursor. Building a legendary from the precursor should still be difficult, and I don’t have a problem with the current system.

Posted by: Turgut.4397

Turgut.4397

A precursor would be an epic finish to the story. But you know, Anet prefer to give us false hopes and dreams with this bull crap called RNG.

Guess we can grind for months on end with no sleep till a precursor can be afforded.

Still waiting for the things I love about GW1.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

If the ways of the jedi were easy, there would be hundreds of them instead of dozens.

If getting a precursor was easy, there would be hundreds of legendaries instead of dozens.

The precursor part is quite easy – cof path 1

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

(edited by kokiman.2364)

Posted by: Brian.9125

Brian.9125

If everyone were to essentially receive a free precursor as suggested I can assure you that the price of t6 mats, lodestones etc would skyrocket and legendaries would become even more difficult to obtain. Demand for these is already far greater than the supply and having everyone and their brother chasing a legendary would only make it worse.

Vol.5241

If anything, Arenanet should reward tokens from the mystic forge for doing rare/exotic combines. i.e. 1 token for every 4 rare combine in the forge. Or 4 tokens for every exotic combine

In the end you can spend these combines on a precursor. Of course, the # of tokens for a precursor should be balanced so that it would be expensive and take awhile.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: OmniPotentes.4817

OmniPotentes.4817

Just play the game and hopefully sooner then later a precursor will come your way be it as a lucky drop; from the mystic forge or from the trade post. Granted if dropped it might not be the one your looking for but its valuable none the less. I for example had a lucky drop while running the Molten Facility dungeon. Yesterday while completing my daily I threw 4 hammers into the forge and got another one The Colosus. I’d advise against mindlessly crafting and chucking piles of rares into the MF in the hopes of getting a precursor. Many people have rage quit the game over this. Instead just do the daily events. Keep all lvl 80 rares. Salvage all armor pieces and the rest for ectos and sell the runes and sigils on the TP. Wait until you have 4 of a kind and have a go at the forge. That way you’ll still be making money over time instead of blowing it all on a gamble. The rest is up to lady luck.

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

Because the personal story is far too easy to justify a precursor as an award. A reward worth a few g, up to like 5 seems proper imo.

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

Like others have said, there may be unpredictable effect on the market if something like this is implemented. It is true that completing the whole storyline takes a while but it isn’t that difficult to be honest. I took my newest alt to lvl 61 in WvW and started doing the stories from the very beginning. Most of it were really easy (way over levelled and haven’t done a lot of them before), except for some annoying and buggy designs that one-shot you in some places. Took me around one weekend to complete to whole thing.

As for my own precursor, it got to a point where I just logged on every day to hang out with my guildies. Helped them farm some dungeon gear so I got a bit of gold here and there. Before I logged out I just put some buy orders so the next day I can throw them into the forge and fortunately one day it popped out. And no I don’t think it is a good mechanic but that was my approach to get my precursor. Farming CoF simply isn’t my cup of tea.

Some of my former guildies say /kneel to every lyssa statue you see help but whatever lol

Oceanic [LOD]

(edited by Wukunlin.8461)

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

The personal story already awards a legendary.

…just not to you.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: taek.9386

taek.9386

I don’t see the problem with rewarding people who finish the story with a precursor, its only the money hungry people who see it as an issue. But yes it should be a token style system, where you receive the token and you trade it in to obtain the precursor of your choice from the merchant and make it soul bound so you can’t sell it and flood the market. WIN WIN for everyone!!

Let me explain, obtaining the precursor is only one of the requirements to complete the legendary, you still need to get the dungeon tokens, gift of exploration, all the crafting material etc which i still think is a fair amount to work to do to achieve the legendary, especially for the casuals.

Posted by: taek.9386

taek.9386

If everyone were to essentially receive a free precursor as suggested I can assure you that the price of t6 mats, lodestones etc would skyrocket and legendaries would become even more difficult to obtain. Demand for these is already far greater than the supply and having everyone and their brother chasing a legendary would only make it worse.

However I would prefer this tradeoff then rather farm gold all day long just to buy the precursor, farming for crafting material isn’t that bad compared to farming 500+ gold!

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I don’t see why there is need for a Scavenger Hunt, a better way to award players with a precursor is already in game: The Personal Story. Atm, the ultimate reward, the Pact Victory Token, is crap. You can trade it for a rare (what doesn’t makes sense because the Pact Victory Token is Legendary) with a crappy skin. I felt so disappointed, and seeing all these posts about a Precursor Scavenger Hunt, I was thinking…

Why not replace the crappy rare skins for the Pact Victory Token with Precursors?

I mean, Personal Story really isn’t done in 5 minutes. It’s something that you carry with you from Level 1 to 80.

They wont do that because all the elitists and TP flippers etc would be up in arms, the whole game would give everyone the same thing we’d all look the same with our legendaries, no one would be above others and no one could think of themselves as epic in a virtual game and the world would end for them..

I agree OP but it wont happen the games economy revolves around that junk sadly..its part why the game has so many issues..

Guildwars 1 ending had it right, at least when Factions was added, maybe we can expect better if Guildwars 2 ever gets updated..

(edited by Dante.1508)

Posted by: dcypher.2590

dcypher.2590

They wont do that because all the elitists and TP flippers etc would be up in arms, the whole game would give everyone the same thing we’d all look the same with our legendaries, no one would be above others and no one could think of themselves as epic in a virtual game and the world would end for them..

I agree OP but it wont happen the games economy revolves around that junk sadly..its part why the game has so many issues..

Guildwars 1 ending had it right, at least when Factions was added, maybe we can expect better if Guildwars 2 ever gets updated..

I agree, but find it funny..because it takes no skill (minus maybe TP flipping) to get a legendary. Don’t understand why they would feel so elite. I know I don’t look at ppl with legendaries as if they are special. It really is just you got lucky with your precursor, or bought your precursor, or bought your legendary and farmed a lot at that.

But I guess some people take that for skill, who knows.

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

Getting a precursor isn’t hard, it’s just based on luck. And people can just buy their legendaries now.

Posted by: r z.7261

r z.7261

Are they adding a scavenger hunt?

Posted by: LoneWolfie.1852

LoneWolfie.1852

Technically, getting a precursor at the end of the story does seem like a good move. After 100 hours of your effort to defeat Zhaitan, your reward is to craft something legendary. The pact token is a really quite shabby…

But I’m not counting on Anet to do anything like that.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I think when you kill Zhaitan, Treahearne should change garb in future personal stories. He should wear a top that says "{Character name} got to kill Zhaitan and all I got was this lousy tunic.

On a more serious not, a precusor for finishing the personal story is actually to easy in my opinion. I’d prefer a really hard scavenger hunt type quest.

Posted by: nightly.2761

nightly.2761

why not make the scavanger hunt this way:

Need!:
100% world completion — award 2 gifts + 1 extra item (item A)
all dungeons complete -- award item B
all crafts mastered on 1 account — award item C
whole personal story -- award pact token + 1 extra item (item D)

combine item A+B+C+D in MF to get a precursor device.

now combine that device with 3 exotic items of type precursor you want.
eg. 3 exotic daggers+ device = spark
3 exotic shields + device = the chosen
etc.

BUT!!!! make the precursor you get account bound!! this wont ruin the market and give people the option to get 1 (one only) precursor to make first legendary.
if they want seconds you have to go back to farming/MF a precursor.

Posted by: Patres.4925

Patres.4925

Because this is not Diablo3, this is Guild Wars 2, much more better game! (I still don’t have precursor or Legendary… :-) )

Norn Battle Guard / Norn Shadow / Patreschr / Queen of Saba / Altair Ibn La Ahád

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

Precursors should be rare. It’s fine if they cost several hundreds of gold at the trading post… because I don’t need a legendary and should I have luck and get a precursor as drop I’d just sell it and would be able to get enough gold to trade for gems to buy more char slots without having to buy gems.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Compare it to obsidian armor and you’ll understand. It’s the exact same system. People farming ecto are rarely people using ecto for obby.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Because legendaries are end game, BIS items and personal story isn’t really all that hard?

perfect then 100% precursor drop from fotm 49?

problem solved…..

Paying 600G isn t that hard either…

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Spiral Architect.6540

Spiral Architect.6540

Are they adding a scavenger hunt?

First they said they were going to add one, then they said they were not actively working on it, but that they were working on “a system by which a scavenger hunt could be added to the game.”

Summaries here: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/news/981-update-on-precursor-scavenger-hunt/

Back in November, I was excited about the prospect of a scavenger hunt. Now? Not so much.

Posted by: AngryCat.4825

AngryCat.4825

I like my Pact underwater weapon skins. They’re cool enough to say, “Sometimes I accidentally fall into the water and need to stab things, and look okay while doing it.”

Koia
Fort Aspenwood
“Oil down.” “Mortar down.” “Stupid arrow cart.”

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

Talk for yourself. Id rather bang my head against a brick wall whilst getting run over by a truck than do the personal storyline again.

Posted by: Rusha.4725

Rusha.4725

Its not hard it just takes time. It’s based on grind. Acording to your jedi ways, every farmer can become a jedi. No disciplines required. Also any hobo with dumb luck can become a jedi too.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

So….no new updates on the Scav. Hunt? No timeframe indication or anything? This is still in fledgeling state?

:(

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

cesmode.4257

Precursors are both in an annoying and good state, in my opinion. While it’s good that they are somewhat costy and not available instantly, it’s still quite annoying that you have to rely on luck to get one.

The only reward system I can think at the moment is that you must reach a certain amount of achievements and then you can choose your precursor.

Like, you must have Dungeon Master title, you must’ve completed the whole Personal Story, you must have one of the PvP titles (like Champion Paragon,Champion, Magus Champion Shadow, etc) and have 100% Map completion.

But of course, people would whine kittenloads with ‘’Why do I have to do PvP for my PvE weapon’’

The WvWvW Map completion whine is already enough :P

I dont think you need dungeon master title. I have a bookmark of what I need for the Dreamer, and nowhere does it say I must complete all dungeons.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Dreamer

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

why not make the scavanger hunt this way:

Need!:
100% world completion — award 2 gifts + 1 extra item (item A)
all dungeons complete -- award item B
all crafts mastered on 1 account — award item C
whole personal story -- award pact token + 1 extra item (item D)

combine item A+B+C+D in MF to get a precursor device.

now combine that device with 3 exotic items of type precursor you want.
eg. 3 exotic daggers+ device = spark
3 exotic shields + device = the chosen
etc.

BUT!!!! make the precursor you get account bound!! this wont ruin the market and give people the option to get 1 (one only) precursor to make first legendary.
if they want seconds you have to go back to farming/MF a precursor.

I like the way you think! The precursor is just one hard to accomplish requirement on the path to legendary. I mean Onyx Lodestones, 250 of all T6 mats, 100 Icy Runestones for 1g each from vendor, all of these will still be required (depending on what weapon you want), precursor or not and they all require a lot of farming and/or money on TP. I think Nightly here has the best option for getting a precursor. Accomplish a bunch of tasks in game that are attainable but take effort. In the end you get ONE piece of the legendary puzzle. You still will need 200-300g for the rest of the stuff you need, which is not easy for the majority of players.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

(edited by Draknar.5748)

cesmode.4257

Right now Im at a crossroads:

Choices:
1. Continue to grind gold to buy my pre cursor — Looking like this wont happen as I was only able to save about a fourth of what I need up to this point.
2. Spend all of what I have on resources to throw crap into the mystic toilet — More desirable than buying a precursor. I dont want to give any one person that amount of gold.
3. Spend what resources I have on the Mystic Forge recipes/skins. They are pretty stud looking. Maybe slightly less appealing than the legendary, but a huge leap from most crappy exotics.

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

what if you want 2 legendaries than, you can only have 1 weapon for the personal story and you can’t repeat your personal story unless you play another alt, and what if you want a legendary for that alt too?

so no, no personal story precursor, it must be a drop and a repeatable scavenger hunt (at least 4 times per character).

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Vol.5241

Talk for yourself. Id rather bang my head against a brick wall whilst getting run over by a truck than do the personal storyline again.

Oh comon, dealing with Trahearne isn’t that difficult..

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: DrixTrix.7168

DrixTrix.7168

why bother buying a ’’legendary’’ stat stick with no advantages except skins and animations, i prefer the fractal weapons however that’s juts my opinion, in the end i would prefer every dye instead of a legendary.

cesmode.4257

Vol! Id rather jump off the tallest building in America and hope to catch my eyelid on a nail, than listen to Trahearne say “Commanduh, a word please” one more time.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Because the personal story is far too easy to justify a precursor as an award. A reward worth a few g, up to like 5 seems proper imo.

Even if they gave away precursors, you’ve still got plenty of work to do to earn the Gifts of Mastery and Fortune and the gold for Icy Runstones. It’s not like the precursor is the only thing standing between most players and a Legendary weapon.

Posted by: Shezu Tsukai.8291

Shezu Tsukai.8291

The quest for a Legendary is supposed to be legendary. Right now you have to run WvW for x2 stack badges, some dungeon for x2 stack item, and world completion for playing across the game.

Everything else is farming anywhere you want to buy the t6, lodestones, ectos, and precursor. Why shouldn’t at least one more of those encourage more actual game play instead of farming?

The areas of play left out in current Legendary quest are sPvP and JP’s. These need a portion in the quest somewhere.

Verum et Vitae

cesmode.4257

As stated, right now I am slowly coming back and playing casually until I decide what I want to devote my time and resources to. One legendary, or a slew of mystic forge skins. Some feedback on my dilemma would be appreciated

One thing to note, as I said earlier, I will buy my pre cursor off of the TP(unless some other pre cursor drops and I can sell it for most of the cost of my precursor) . I will either find it by dumb luck(not likely) or throw countless duplicates of a weapon into the forge.

Posted by: Riselight.3695

Riselight.3695

what if you want 2 legendaries than, you can only have 1 weapon for the personal story and you can’t repeat your personal story unless you play another alt, and what if you want a legendary for that alt too?

so no, no personal story precursor, it must be a drop and a repeatable scavenger hunt (at least 4 times per character).

The precursor from the Personal Story is account bound. I don’t want it to rain precursors (you say 4 times per character, which is way too much), if you want a second legendary, it will be the same as it is now already, though I’d be satisfied with one Legendary

Riselight [WvW] – Elementalist
Smough The Cruel [WvW] – Warrior

Posted by: Henge.3907

Henge.3907

…just not to you.

Lol…. kitten that Sylvari..

Posted by: Booler.6598

Booler.6598

The issue I have raised and still stand by is the goal posts for legendaries gets further away the longer the game is live ,lodestones cost me 30s when i got mine ,prec was 300 g for greatsword and all my t6 mats were 3 – 5 s. Is it fair that I paid 1k less gold for mine? No it isn’t the recipe should be made up of constant prices not inflating. It’s unfair to casual players and the prec portion is no exception

Always in all ways

(edited by Booler.6598)

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

Personal story can literally be done in a day. I went through my first 80 being doing every story quest at the appropriate level and taking my time. Every subsequent character I went through to level 80 and then rushed through the story for money & item sake.

I do not think personal story is a suitable feat to award a LEGENDARY precursor. RNG sucks, but if you get lucky, hey you get lucky. I’m glad Collin said they’re keeping the mystic forge and drop chances the same to obtain one AS WELL AS add in the scavenger-hunt type deal.

Being able to work for something is a good thing. Being handed something for little to no effort isn’t. Nor is RNG. I think they found a good middleground that appeases those who want to sell their lucky drops and award the time investments of dedicated players.

…just not to you.

Lol…. kitten that Sylvari..

Lmfao legit laughs on my end from this post. 10/10.

The issue I have raised and still stand by is the goal posts for legendaries gets further away the longer the game is live ,lodestones cost me 30s when i got mine ,prec was 300 g for greatsword and all my t6 mats were 3 – 5 s. Is it fair that I paid 1k less gold for mine? No it isn’t the recipe should be made up of constant prices not inflating. It’s unfair to casual players and the prec portion is no exception

I definitely see the point made here. The scavenger hunt type dealio that they’re coming out with will solve that issue. As time goes by the prices of required mats to make the gifts and such will fluctuate especially when dramatic changes in player population occur. Having consistent methods to obtain a legendary is a good thing to award players dedicated enough to pursue them.

(edited by TehPwnerer.7215)

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

To be honest, the way the market has evolved till now, the precursors are actually in a good place and the need for a scavenger hunt is … not necessary now. Almost.

I reckon it’s the t6 mats that need to be adjusted. Right now it just isn’t realistically possible for a person to farm all the mats for his legendary. At some point, part of them HAS to be bought from the tp.

(edited by Lafiel.9372)

Posted by: Raestloz.7134

Raestloz.7134

Personal story?

Feh

Now, Been There, Done That?

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Vol! Id rather jump off the tallest building in America and hope to catch my eyelid on a nail, than listen to Trahearne say “Commanduh, a word please” one more time.

And that’s why I play the PS without sound and a decent movie on my second monitor. If I have to do story time, I’d rather do it properly.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Sovta.4719

Sovta.4719

Because if you have one you will quit wanting one.

Just to avoid the infraction for inflammatory comment. The idea behind rare precursors/legendary weapons is to give people something to want so they keep logging in every day and playing the game.

Having someone drop 600 rare greatswords into the mystic forge and not get a precursor isn’t a failure. It’s a resounding success. Because someone wants the precursor enough and plays the game enough that they threw away 600 rare greatswords.

As long as people feel like to goal is just out of reach they will continue to play the game.

Carrots? You mean carrots?