Why anet won't tell what is an exploit?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sakri.7234

Sakri.7234

So I asked support whether the linen farm in Fireheart Rise was an exploit or not. In their answer, they refused to answer. They told me to figure it out myself based on EULA. I can’t fathom why they wouldn’t straight tell me. Does anybody know why not?

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Because they made quite clear what is an exploit in the EULA already.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Bagel.4598

Bagel.4598

“Officer I know freud is against the law, I’m not sure if what I am doing here could be classified as freud or not, could you please clear this up for me?”
“Figure it out yourself, but if you do commit any sort of freud I’ll arrest you and you’ll never get out again”.

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

I have to agree. If someone asks if their action is an exploit, they should get a direct, cut & dry, clear answer.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Because any official statement that X is an exploit is essentially telling players “do X as much as possible because we’re going to close the loophole soon.”

Posted by: Sakri.7234

Sakri.7234

Because any official statement that X is an exploit is essentially telling players “do X as much as possible because we’re going to close the loophole soon.”

I thought you would get banned for doing it so the effect would be the opposite.

Posted by: Bagel.4598

Bagel.4598

Whilst simultaneously confirming that if you proceed with said exploit, you shall be banned and anyone caught doing exploiting may also face the same fate.
You’d be an idiot to exploit after Anet confirming one and that would be entirely on you.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

“Officer I know freud is against the law, I’m not sure if what I am doing here could be classified as freud or not, could you please clear this up for me?”
“Figure it out yourself, but if you do commit any sort of freud I’ll arrest you and you’ll never get out again”.

Freud was a bit whacky, got his friend (and probably a few others) hooked on cocaine, but I don’t think it was against the law to be Freud at the time. However if you commit a Freud these days it might get you arrested. :P

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

For those outside of the US legal system I have no clue how things work.

In general within the US this is how things work:

If support (of any service) won’t give you a clear “No, you can’t do that” when you ask in good faith, then you can until they clearly say otherwise. Innocent until proven guilty, and you have evidence that they couldn’t tell you something was wrong, since it’s in writing. If something does happen to your service, you have evidence you attempted to check if something was or was not allowed and you’ll be fine as long as you present the facts and the evidence and didn’t do something you weren’t explicitly told you couldn’t.

This is true throughout the United States legal system (unless you’re in the Military or deemed a terrorist). Game EULAs usually say service providers can do whatever they want, so everything else in the EULA actually has little to no meaning, it just shows the tendency a company will follow more than anything.

Even if a company behaves within the parameters of it’s EULA, but somehow violates current precedent in law (like innocent until proven guilty), the service recipient will win (again this is regardless of the agreement type or service).

These are things to keep in mind for every kind of user agreement in the US, not specifically just video games.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Posted by: CC Danicia.1394

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

For security reasons, discussions of Exploits/Hacking/Cheating are not allowed on our forums. If you witness any of these acts while playing, please report them using the in-game ticketing system so our Customer Support team can properly investigate the issue. In the case of exploits, you can also send any reports of exploit activity or knowledge to Exploits@Arena.Net to ensure the development team is aware of them.